MTL21676
Aug 26 2008, 03:16 PM
So I was checking cards this past weekend and it seems that EVERY round someone writes the names down on the leaderboard out of order. I then start writing the scores down on the leaderboard cards and then find they are out or order. Sure, sometimes I catch it, but it seems like this is something that should never happen.

This brought me to think about something. Could a TD during the players meeting announce something like "If any groups scorecards are out of order from the leaderboard, the entire group will recieve a 2 shot penality."

At first, I thought that you could do it anyway based on the fact they teed off out of order but just because the names on the scorecard are out of order doesn't mean they teed in that order.

Any ideas on things like this that were stated in the meeting that would not be in the rule book?

Alacrity
Aug 26 2008, 03:31 PM
Public ridicule.

Anounce during the player's meeting that card order needs to be correct and that the mistake could potentially cost someone correct scores. This will of course be corrected if it happens, but the players need to be aware of the problem. Also state that the person responsible for making out the card will be posted above the board as being unable to read from top to bottom. If on the otherhand you are using seperate cards for each player, there is no doubt the order may be wrong, that is one of the downfalls of that technique.

Mark_Stephens
Aug 26 2008, 03:40 PM
I just have the names written on the scorecards for the players...

krupicka
Aug 26 2008, 03:46 PM
A better solution is to have a volunteer (or two) copy the names from the leaderboard onto the score cards, so that the players are handed a scorecard with the names already in the correct order.

discette
Aug 26 2008, 05:17 PM
Every event I run or have ever been to supplied our group with a score card with the names already written on it. If this is such a problem for your events, take a few extra minutes and write the names down before handing them out.

davidsauls
Aug 26 2008, 05:47 PM
....and you don't have to deal with scorecards listing partial names, nicknames, or indecipherable handwriting.

NEngle
Aug 26 2008, 10:38 PM
Ditto the last 4 posts.

MTL21676
Aug 26 2008, 10:57 PM
I was mainly asking about something like this in general and used that as an example.

marshief
Aug 26 2008, 11:21 PM
Any ideas on things like this that were stated in the meeting that would not be in the rule book?

Wouldn't you need to get approval from PDGA?

MTL21676
Aug 27 2008, 11:11 AM

Wouldn't you need to get approval from PDGA?

More than likely, now that I think about it.

Mark_Stephens
Aug 27 2008, 11:14 AM
If you are looking to make an announcement about a penalty at a player's meeting, I would highly suggest that it includes that a failure to adequately tip the TD will result in a 2 stroke penalty... :D

OSTERTIP
Aug 27 2008, 11:33 AM
I feel the TD should appoint himself or others to take care of scorecards and the order of them prior to the round starting. If you allow players to do it themselves you will always have problems.
A TD can announce almost any rule during the players meeting without PDGA approval. If the TD dictates that a separate drop zone is required to speed play, he must announce at players meeting and then it is legal during tourney play.
At our events anyone caught climbing any fence is automatically disqualified, we don't need PDGA approval for this rule.

marshief
Aug 28 2008, 01:02 AM
A TD can announce almost any rule during the players meeting without PDGA approval.

Careful or you'll open a can of worms on this board. 804.01 "D. No rules may be stipulated which conflict with the PDGA Rules of Play, unless approved by the Competition Director of the PDGA." Why do you think we have x-tiers?

Drop zones are a different story and covered under different portions of the rules. Also, are you SURE you don't need approval from PDGA, or is that just "the way it's done?" For example, technically a TD must get PDGA approval and sanction their tournament as an x-tier if they wish to mix groups in the first round, but how many tournaments are out there that do this willy nilly?

Not trying to pick a fight, but you really can't just call out "any rule" at a player's meeting. Otherwise I'd be bribing TD's everywhere to make a rule that if anyone named Marsha goes OB on any hole, then that player gets an automatic ace for the hole /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif :D

gnduke
Aug 28 2008, 01:57 AM
Preparing scorecards for a full field event ( more than 150 players ) is a very time consuming task for a couple of volunteers at each round, unless you are doing one card per player for the event. If you only have 70 players, it's a different story.

Mark_Stephens
Aug 28 2008, 07:32 AM
I do 1 card for the 4 players... Yeah, it might take 10 minutes with a few people for you.

bruce_brakel
Aug 28 2008, 04:48 PM
Re: Mark Stephens and all: every good TD has someone filling out the cards AND circling the start hole. In the young guy divisions half the players are named Jason and the other half are named Josh. If you don't fill out the cards with first names and last initials and the start hole circled, you're doomed. Mark does a real good job with the nuts and bolts of running a tournament and this is certainly one of them.

Re: Marshief and all: A TD can pretty much do what he wants so long as he pays his money and turns in his TD reports. Lost disc drop zones, penalty-free o.b., no run-up zones, concede-the-ob-and-go-directly-to-the-drop-zone-with-penalty (saves the player having to throw the disc in the river if they know they cannot clear it), I've seen it all. I've done it all! :D I've never seen a TD get in trouble for imposing a local rule, ever, ever, in 16 years of playing sanctioned tournaments, provided he also turned in his money and TD report promptly.

robertsummers
Aug 28 2008, 09:26 PM
It is an awfully slippery slope to say a TD can make up whatever rule he wants. I agree that having local "rules" are sometimes almost necassary but to say a TD can do whatever he wants means that there is no reason to even have a rule book. However, if a TD can do what they want then I am going to get certified so I can announce at every tournament no lost disc rule and to treat it like an O.B.

Fossil
Aug 29 2008, 08:12 AM
There is a big difference between a local rule that ' conflict(s) with the PDGA Rules of Play' like your no lost disc rule and adding to the existing rules.
That being said If the TD doesn't have time or staff to write the names, (s)he deals with the result. TD either takes time before to set up cards or after to decypher names. To add a rule with strokes to everyone seems a bit draconian. To mention it in the players meeting with a joke about hopping around tournament central on one leg if you mess up may be as effective.

Alacrity
Aug 29 2008, 10:06 AM
I am not sure the statement "every good TD" is true. Most people would tell you Chris Himing was an excellent example of a good TD and he always had the players fill out the cards. Yes there are some issues, but they are never insurmountable. I have also seen the TD and volunteers fill out cards and heard complaints by the players for the time it took.

Re: Mark Stephens and all: every good TD has someone filling out the cards AND circling the start hole.