blang
Aug 25 2008, 11:36 PM
I am a MA3 player with a current rating of 799. I know I am better than this because one of my two rounds used to get my score is about 9 to 10 strokes above my average at that course. I am looking to play in an upcoming tournament for the purpose of getting my rating more respectable. The problem is the tournament I am looking to play in is a MPO / MA1 only tournament. I do not mind playing up because I am playing to help my rating and I am not worried about winning plastic. Not knowing exactly how the SSA ratings are calculated, can I expect the SSA to be lower in this tournament due to the fact that it will only 900 rated players from MA1 and MPO and have no MA2 and MA3 players in the lower 800s added to the calculation? If it will matter how much will the lack of MA2 and MA3 players factor in the SSA calculation?

the_kid
Aug 25 2008, 11:40 PM
Yes it will be a little higher but Chuck will come on here and say it isn't true. Only expect like 3-4 pts difference.

blang
Aug 25 2008, 11:50 PM
Yes it will be a little higher but Chuck will come on here and say it isn't true. Only expect like 3-4 pts difference.

Assuming you are right an Chuck is incorrect, Does this not show a flaw in the SSA system? It seems that the SSA scale is more a factor of the level the players and not the actual conditions. The SSA assumes that if a player score is different then it must be a environmental factor and not the fact that a bunch of 900 rated players are not playing with any 800 players. I guess if a MA3 and MA4 only tournament was held, the SSA would be just as off in the other direction everything else bing equal. I am sure this is a often discussed topic but as a new player it is a new discovery to me.

krazyeye
Aug 26 2008, 12:16 AM
Hmm starting to be glad I do not give a rats patootie. Oh and Matt.. -i1ii

cgkdisc
Aug 26 2008, 12:20 AM
There's a 50/50 chance that the SSA will be slightly higher. Your own play is much more significant. One made or missed putt will change your rating more than any formula variance. Once we discovered the slight drift in the SSA toward higher rated pools, an adjustment factor has been in the function to neutralize that for the past few years. The fluctuations are small anyways as Matt indicated with less than 0.5% variance.

chrispfrisbee
Aug 26 2008, 12:49 AM
At Redan (http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=182) , the SSA is low. You, being the lower rated player, are more in control of the ratings by what you score. The Pros & Adv. rated player's ratings will have more to do with what you shoot, than vice versa.

blang
Aug 26 2008, 01:39 PM
Chris,
You are pretty smart, pretty helpful, or both to know that my question had to do with Redan. I guess I will test my skills at the bottom of the pack at Shooter Alley at Redan this October.

scottcwhite
Aug 27 2008, 12:29 AM
Yes it will be a little higher but Chuck will come on here and say it isn't true.

good call