jeffnichols
Aug 23 2008, 04:57 PM
How many clubs out there have their own general liability insurance? Are there reasonably priced policies out there that would be adequate for holding events in city parks that require proof of insurance? How about PDGA events? Are there policies out there that would allow a club to not have to pay to be included in the PDGA coverage?

Info on this topic will be appreciated.

stack
Aug 24 2008, 12:06 AM
our club (CDGC - Charlotte Disc Golf Club) had to get a policy like that last year... not sure about specifics... email samnic-at-carolina.rr.com and he should be able to fill you in.

rhockaday
Oct 15 2008, 05:22 PM
As an Affliate Club of the PDGA, is it possibly to purchase or piggy back on the PDGAs insurance?

bigrocc01
Dec 09 2008, 03:13 PM
Here in Bakersfield,Ca we were required by our county to carry insurance to install our 36 hole course and for events like our monthlies. We have a sponsor who works for State Farm and she referred us to a local rep who got us insurance. It'd approx $350 a yr

warlocks00
Aug 26 2009, 06:07 PM
Any new news on this topic. The powers that be at the City have recently passed a deal saying that any event with over 50 people requires a permit and insurance. We've got an event coming up next month we are trying to find insurance cheaper than $150 for the weekend.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!

stack
Aug 27 2009, 01:54 PM
not being sarcastic but it sounds like fiscally it might make the most sense to put the cutoff @ 50. Adding the extra players probably wouldn't cover your cost of insurance... or (assuming its a mixed tourney with Pros and Ams) tell the park/rec that there are 2 different events... one for the Pros and one of the Ams which (without looking @ your #s) should get you below 50 each.

just a thought if you can't find the coverage you need

warlocks00
Aug 28 2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the input....it wouldn't have been taken sarcasticlly. We actually thought about doing that.(cut off at 50) The "seperate" event is another good idea.

What we found out is(kind of a loop hole): As long as there are not 50 players in any one park at once we don't have to apply for the permit, which means we don't have to have insurance. So we are going to split the tourney up into, probably, 3 pools and send them to different parks(we were going to use 3 different courses anyway). Only time we might have more than 50 at once is signups/players meeting and awards. Which I think we can slip by on. Besides, I doubt they come out and do an actual head count anyway.

gotcha
Aug 28 2009, 06:09 PM
Have you considered presenting the municipality with the idea of requiring all tournament players to sign a "Hold Harmless" agreement, thereby releasing the city, park, club, etc. from liability? No signature = no play.

warlocks00
Aug 31 2009, 02:39 PM
That is something we already do with every event the CVDGA holds. It's not enough to get by the City and them wanting their cut. But thanks for the idea....I'm all ears to suggestions.

Mark_Stephens
Sep 01 2009, 09:37 AM
Why not just buy the PDGA insurance for $50? It is a huge policy and should fall within the city guidelines. This is of course assuming you are running a PDGA sanctioned event.

Teemac
Nov 25 2009, 01:10 PM
I just finished up directing a tournament and one of my responsibilities was insurance. Our city insisted on $1,000,000.00 liability insurance with a separate endorsement naming the city as additional insured. Our event insurance was $326. Liability waivers are not enough to satisfy the city. I did speak a person from the risk management dept. and she said some home owner insurance companies can put a special rider on a policy for less money.
I pretty sure there no actuary tables for disc golf tournaments.

keithjohnson
Nov 26 2009, 01:49 AM
I just finished up directing a tournament and one of my responsibilities was insurance. Our city insisted on $1,000,000.00 liability insurance with a separate endorsement naming the city as additional insured. Our event insurance was $326. Liability waivers are not enough to satisfy the city. I did speak a person from the risk management dept. and she said some home owner insurance companies can put a special rider on a policy for less money.
I pretty sure there no actuary tables for disc golf tournaments.

Unless you had over 80 players at a B-tier it would have been cheaper to sanction it and have your million dollar policy covering the city and the Event directors for the 50 dollars the PDGA charges.

Teemac
Nov 26 2009, 11:00 AM
We had 105 players and sanctioning the tournament was not an option.

keithjohnson
Nov 29 2009, 07:56 PM
We had 105 players and sanctioning the tournament was not an option.

Then i guess what you did was the best option, and maybe just charge 3 dollars more per person next year to cover insurance costs, so it doesn't cost YOU anything.

Teemac
Dec 10 2009, 10:18 PM
Unless you had over 80 players at a B-tier it would have been cheaper to sanction it and have your million dollar policy covering the city and the Event directors for the 50 dollars the PDGA charges.

One of our golfers is planning an Ice Bowl tournament with an anticipated field of about eighty golfers. I told him I would look into it for him and make sure the insurance that the PDGA offers for fifty dollars would satisfy the city's requirements. Where does one go to look at or get a copy of the insurance the PDGA offers?

bigrocc01
Dec 14 2009, 03:18 PM
TeeMac, the insurance from the PDGA should work for your county. Look under PDGA tour and then click on the tournament directors area. The lady that works for the PDGA is nice and responds fast.
In Sept. we used the insurance from the PDGA for our 1st PDGA sanctioned event here in Bakersfield. Our county is very nit picky and they accepted the insurance after a couple of minor wording changes. Good Luck!

Teemac
Dec 14 2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks Bigroc. I saw that this morning when I did a little more investigating on the website. I see that they have an area for additional insured which is the requirement for Modesto.

tengstrom
Jan 07 2010, 08:30 PM
Our city doesn't require insurance. Yay! I am on our parks board. In fact, I am surprised more cities aren't concerned about declining park use considering the time people spend with video games. If cities want public support for parks, they need to take down barriers to using them.

keithjohnson
Jan 07 2010, 09:51 PM
You say that until the first lawyer happy bonehead hurts themself in your park and they close it down completely because someone wins a lawsuit.

Heard of hot coffee and McDonalds?
Wonder why you can't let go of your lawnmower handle?
Ever read the Darwin awards list? (although for those it is the families that have to sue for obvious reasons)

I can already hear Bruce making plans for a family trip to your park. :)

tengstrom
Jan 08 2010, 09:52 PM
Well, our city parks have insurance, to be sure. Bruce can turn around.

I am just saying they don't require the citizens of our town — whether as individuals or groups — to fork out our hard-earned $$$ to use parks they've already paid for with their city tax dollars. I think your cities are simply shoving their costs onto taxpayers who already have paid their fair share. Your cities are ripping you off and providing an example of what's wrong with the parks system in many places in America.

keithjohnson
Jan 09 2010, 08:34 PM
Since it's warmer there right now, I'm gonna move to Minnesota. :)

I deal with 5 different cities (none Atlanta) and the State of GA for the 6 Events I run in my Series (Georgia's Super Six Series) and EVERY one of them requires insurance - some waive park fees, but NONE waive insurance.

I'm glad your city is OK with it.

cyferban
Jan 09 2010, 10:03 PM
I was excited to see this thread but nobody has as of yet answered the question.

Where can you find insurance, affordable, to cover disc golf events.
Sure we use the PDGA insurance but we are looking for more and cheaper. There has to be a beast out there that can do this job.

ishkatbible
Jan 10 2010, 01:04 PM
I was excited to see this thread but nobody has as of yet answered the question.

Where can you find insurance, affordable, to cover disc golf events.
Sure we use the PDGA insurance but we are looking for more and cheaper. There has to be a beast out there that can do this job.

some one higher posted that they pay about $350 a year. if you compare that to the $50 per event the pdga offers, you could get 7 sanctioned events. how many do you plan on running? if it's 7 or less why go through the hassle of finding your own? or do you need it for your local minis as well?

tengstrom
Jan 13 2010, 08:18 AM
You could check out NRPA, the organization from which many cities purchase their park and rec insurance. They offer it to individuals, too. Of course, I think you have to join NRPA.

http://www.nrpa.org/Content.aspx?id=625