Kette_Master
Jul 26 2008, 06:11 PM
I would like to know how others are dividing added cash among the Pro/Am divisions. The added cash is from tournament sponsors.
Are there any requirements from the PDGA if one is running a sanctioned tournament?

bruce_brakel
Jul 26 2008, 06:42 PM
There are no PDGA requirements other than the tier requirements and payout charts.

For the IOSeries, we add value where the sponsors want us to. If it is sweat sponsorship, we add the cash where those who sweated for it want it to go.

Kette_Master
Jul 27 2008, 01:27 AM
You lost me there, bruce. ;-)

bruce_brakel
Jul 27 2008, 09:43 AM
If I lost you in the first sentence, you need a lot more help than an answer to your question would provide.

Kette_Master
Jul 27 2008, 10:25 AM
If it is sweat sponsorship, we add the cash where those who sweated for it want it to go.

What is a "sweat" sponsorship and how does it convert to cash?

NOHalfFastPull
Jul 27 2008, 07:00 PM
C Q

Question-- "What type of tourney?"

Are your sponsors putting up ca$h..players' pack items....?
Offering a "free lunch" with sponsored items works.

Talk to the TDs you respect. They have vast knowledge.

good luck
steve timm

Kette_Master
Jul 27 2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks, Steve.

It is a Ratings Based, C-Tier charity event under the Competition Endowment Program. There are only five divisions: Open, Adv, Int, Rec, and Novice. Being a C-Tier, I'm not required to add any additional cash. I'm doing Am payout with certificates to an online retailer. The majority of the sponsors are giving $. The Am field is always bigger, so I'm thinking about doing 40%-Open/60%-Am of the total sponsorship $$, and then dividing the 60% among the Am divisions at 40%-Adv/30%-Int/20%-Rec/10%-Novice.

cgkdisc
Jul 27 2008, 11:30 PM
Ams are allowed to win cash CTPs but buying lunch or other prizes would be considered better form to award the sponsorship money.

NOHalfFastPull
Jul 27 2008, 11:37 PM
C

You can run a raffle to cover the $4 charity requirement.
Larger supporters can write their checks to the charity.

This beats taking the $4 out of the entry fees.

Why add payout/plastic to the ams?
Give'em all players' pack, lunch, t-shirt,...

Plan and run an event that all will want to attend next year.

s t

OSTERTIP
Jul 28 2008, 09:46 AM
We ran a Comp Endowment Program back in June. We felt that its always the Pro's that we are trying to showcase. Of course we had double the number of Ams vs. Pros. But we felt adding the majority of the cash to the pros was best. It also gives higher level Ams an excuse to step up and play pro.

Make a spreadsheet and play with the numbers some, see which way will work best for you before you even start the event.

tkieffer
Jul 28 2008, 10:45 AM
If it is sweat sponsorship, we add the cash where those who sweated for it want it to go.

What is a "sweat" sponsorship and how does it convert to cash?

I think what Bruce is referring to is that the person who goes out and gets the sponsorship, or the sponsor themselves, has a say over where the added cash or stuff will be put. You worked for it, you get to decide where it goes.

crotts
Jul 28 2008, 10:48 AM
Added cash going to Am fields? what is the world coming to

: ) :

rollinghedge
Jul 28 2008, 11:24 AM
I believe that's the third sign of the apocalypse.

Happy Bday.

JerryChesterson
Jul 28 2008, 12:34 PM

As an Am, I do not like people adverstising added cash as players pack items. They usually suck and devalue the prizes won. What has been a big hit here it TX is added cash going to the payout with the least amount possible being deducted for players pack items.

Formula for people coming back to your tourney ...
Well organized event + good course + phat payouts = many players.

Mark_Stephens
Jul 28 2008, 01:25 PM

As an Am, I do not like people adverstising added cash as players pack items. They usually suck and devalue the prizes won. What has been a big hit here it TX is added cash going to the payout with the least amount possible being deducted for players pack items.

However, if they used the added cash to purchase a player pack that was FREE ie, it was not deducted from the payouts then it would be a great addition to a tournament. EVERYONE would go home with something from the tournament and the payouts would be good for those that cashed.

hallp
Jul 29 2008, 01:56 PM

i 2nd that notion!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOHalfFastPull
Jul 30 2008, 12:08 PM
Scott & Phillip

It is difficult, as a TD, to read your posts without taking the comments personally.

I see you are both from Texas and you both may have some regional concerns with a particular TD.

Phillip, I know you attended our NO Pot of Gold and truly hope your comments are not based upon your experience with us.

If there is a "SCAM Man" running events, how can he be "outed" and encouraged/forced to change his ways?

s timm

JerryChesterson
Jul 30 2008, 12:52 PM
Scott & Phillip

It is difficult, as a TD, to read your posts without taking the comments personally.

I see you are both from Texas and you both may have some regional concerns with a particular TD.

Phillip, I know you attended our NO Pot of Gold and truly hope your comments are not based upon your experience with us.

If there is a "SCAM Man" running events, how can he be "outed" and encouraged/forced to change his ways?

s timm

Don't take it personally, it wasn't in reference to you. I am a TD too. It isn't geographically based as I've played all over. Just some TD's do that and I was offering a formula for success. As for forcing TDs to change that is easy ... stop playing their events. Luckily in TX there is usually at least one event every weekend so you have some good choices.

robertsummers
Aug 04 2008, 11:29 PM
I believe if you take the money from the division and take out the money to the PDGA and other fees and actually use it in legitimate player pack items and payout in the division that it came from then you will be successful with the am players. Added money is good for ams but I don't think it is a must. But nobody wants to go spend $30-60 get a bad players pack and if you win get a payout of half your entry fee and wonder where the rest of the money went.

JHBlader86
Aug 04 2008, 11:34 PM
Referring to this past wknd Robert? I feel the same way. $30 entry fee, 1st place wins $25 certificate.

robertsummers
Aug 04 2008, 11:46 PM
It was definitely one freshest on my mind but there have been others. He usually does a decent players pack and payout so I am not for sure what happened this weekend. But winning any division the payout should at least be your money back.

JHBlader86
Aug 05 2008, 12:02 AM
I know several of the Ams complained about the payout and have vowed to never play any of his tournies again.

Mighty_Matt
Aug 15 2008, 11:15 PM
C

You can run a raffle to cover the $4 charity requirement.
Larger supporters can write their checks to the charity.

This beats taking the $4 out of the entry fees.

Plan and run an event that all will want to attend next year.

s t

Why add payout for the ams? How about to keep em coming back! You were an Am once too, would you not have liked to have some extra $ added? Why do so many open players quit caring about ams when they turn pro?

NOHalfFastPull
Aug 15 2008, 11:42 PM
MityMatt
You missed the last line of the post,
"Plan and run an event that all will want to attend next year."

Any honest TD will agree, the ams "make" the tourney.
If I do not offer a challenging event
and reward everyone, few will return,
We balance the added cash question with added benefits.
Adding to the AM payout benefits few.
Why not a well designed, quality shirt, lunch,
collector plaques three deep, basket to first in all am divisions?

Come to our event, you will return.

steve

btw i have never been and never will be an open player

Mighty_Matt
Aug 15 2008, 11:58 PM
MityMatt
You missed the last line of the post,
"Plan and run an event that all will want to attend next year."

Any honest TD will agree, the ams "make" the tourney.
If I do not offer a challenging event
and reward everyone, few will return,
We balance the added cash question with added benefits.
Adding to the AM payout benefits few.
Why not a well designed, quality shirt, lunch,
collector plaques three deep, basket to first in all am divisions?

Come to our event, you will return.

steve

btw i have never been and never will be an open player

OK, so where are your events? If not too far would love to attend. If I misunderstood the last line my apologies. It sounded or could be taken as a dig at the TD. This will be my first time to play one of his events so I will draw no conclusions. I can say that I have been a tourney playing member for almost 9 years and have been to some really great and really poorly run tournaments. I have recently played in 3 of the best run events in 8 years (Fahrenhiet Fling, Cedar Hill DD, and Greater Tulsa Open) He has a lot to live up to.
Do you agree though that there are alot of open players that when they move up seem to treat ams like 2nd class citizens. Not all but there are some for sure.

chrispfrisbee
Aug 24 2008, 09:26 PM
Referring to this past wknd Robert? I feel the same way. $30 entry fee, 1st place wins $25 certificate.

The only way to "combat" this is to not show up for this TD's events and encourage others to not attend as well.