Kette_Master
Jul 23 2008, 03:43 PM
PDGA C-Tier event benefiting
The Baylor Autism Resource Center (http://www.baylor.edu/soe/autism/)

Each player will play two rounds of 18 holes.
Everyone plays the long tees on holes 7 and 17 except Rec and Novice divisions.
Field capped at 72 players.

For more info go here: www.letsgethyzer.com (http://www.letsgethyzer.com)

Anyone interested in donating merchandise or sponsoring this event please PM me.

Big E
Jul 24 2008, 10:32 AM
Are there any pictures of this place online? I have never had the chance to play this place. Anyone from DFW area going down for this one?

setexeljefe
Jul 24 2008, 09:18 PM
the only sanctioned event in Texas the week of worlds....im trying to make this one

tiltedhalo
Jul 25 2008, 10:45 AM
It's been probably two years since I've been there, but this was a fun course the couple of times I've played it. Not as many memorable shots as either of the other Waco courses, but it has quite a few good holes, respectable elevation changes on many of the shots, a beautiful view out over the lake, and a mix of disc-eating cedars and friendly oak trees that add challenge to a lot of the holes. The grass can be wicked high in the fields because this course isn't played a lot, but hopefully they'll have it mowed and in pristine shape for the tourney. It provides a nice complement of shots that you don't get at either Cameron Park course -- mainly some open elevation shots that test your ability to judge distance up and down hills. Cameron East has almost zero elevation, and the regular Cameron Park course has elevation only on the shorter, highly treed holes. Woodway lets you huck some shots up and down hills, which is a nice change.

One thing I will say, is that if you are trying to be competitive, try to get out there to walk the course and throw some practice drives on a few of the holes. Because of all the elevation -- and because many of the elevation shots have OB behind the basket -- it can be tricky to judge how far your disc will carry. I took quite a few OBs my first time through the course; very few my second time, since I'd had a chance to judge the distance.

Well worth the trip if you're in the area. I really like playing all three Waco courses. I find that Woodway is the best place to start -- it's a great place to enjoy a cool morning and loosen up your arm. Then head to Cameron Park and play 27 holes (repeat the front nine, since they're such fun little shots). Then grab lunch and head to The Beast and try to get in two rounds there if possible. The Beast remains one of my favorite courses anywhere in the country, so it definitely overshadows Woodway. But Woodway is still worth the experience -- if only for the views out over the water, which can be breathtaking at sunset.

Kette_Master
Jul 26 2008, 06:17 PM
I posted some pics of all the holes here: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=926

Kette_Master
Aug 02 2008, 03:05 PM
$176 added to Open payout
$264 added to Am payout

This is a Ratings-based event with the following divisions:
Open
Advanced
Intermediate
Recreational
Novice

You could be beaten by a girl! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pogis
Aug 09 2008, 10:15 PM
Got any one signed up in open yet? Just curious.

CGPRush
Aug 10 2008, 02:09 AM
Is the course cart friendly or is it better to carry the bag?

Pogis
Aug 11 2008, 01:25 AM
And can I sign up the morning of?

lazlong
Aug 11 2008, 01:55 AM

Way friendly. Birdie heaven too. There's only a few that shouldn't be birds every time. BTW- We call it windway being on the lake and all.

dryhistory
Aug 11 2008, 10:44 AM
$176 added to Open payout
$264 added to Am payout

This is a Ratings-based event with the following divisions:
Open
Advanced
Intermediate
Recreational
Novice

You could be beaten by a girl! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

does this mean we have to play in the division based on our rating? we can't move up?

Pogis
Aug 11 2008, 11:01 AM
No teague. Just means you cant play in a division below your rating. So you can still move up to open cause I know thats what your thinking! :D

baldguy
Aug 11 2008, 11:15 AM
yeah it just eliminates the sex- and age-protected divisions. From a purely competitive point of view, it makes perfect sense. a 950 golfer should compete with other 950 golfers regardless of what gender or how old the golfer is. It also creates a maximum rating for "advanced" (969), eliminating some of the anti-competitive sandbagging that goes on at many events.

Three cheers for ratings-based events :)

BTW - I'm not looking to start a ratings-based debate here so please don't take it down that path. I just want some folks to see the positive side of how these events work. I'd hate to see anyone stay home just because the competition structure isn't what they're used to. For the most part it will be the same as usual, but with no lines drawn based on age or sex.

dryhistory
Aug 11 2008, 11:18 AM
sounds great, and yes i will play open if MILO goes :D;)

Pogis
Aug 11 2008, 11:29 AM
sounds great, and yes i will play open if MILO goes :D;)

WHAT!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

dryhistory
Aug 11 2008, 12:03 PM
ive been pondering the idea of playing open for some lessons, but i dont want to play open unless there will be some one there to school me :D

Kette_Master
Aug 11 2008, 02:25 PM
yeah it just eliminates the sex- and age-protected divisions. From a purely competitive point of view, it makes perfect sense. a 950 golfer should compete with other 950 golfers regardless of what gender or how old the golfer is. It also creates a maximum rating for "advanced" (969), eliminating some of the anti-competitive sandbagging that goes on at many events.

Three cheers for ratings-based events :)

BTW - I'm not looking to start a ratings-based debate here so please don't take it down that path. I just want some folks to see the positive side of how these events work. I'd hate to see anyone stay home just because the competition structure isn't what they're used to. For the most part it will be the same as usual, but with no lines drawn based on age or sex.

Well stated, Josh.

Kette_Master
Aug 11 2008, 03:04 PM
Got any one signed up in open yet? Just curious.

yes - I keep this updated daily: http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=8061

And can I sign up the morning of?

yes - 7:00-8:30am - Late Registration/Check-in

dryhistory
Aug 11 2008, 05:28 PM
can we sign up morning of?

Kette_Master
Aug 11 2008, 05:48 PM

yes - 7:00-8:30am - Late Registration/Check-in

dryhistory
Aug 11 2008, 05:57 PM
Righteous :cool:

Kette_Master
Aug 11 2008, 07:39 PM

Yes, that is, if the event is not full. I'm capped at 72 players.
I don't think it will fill, but you never know.
So, sign-up now. It is less work for me and will guarantee your spot. :D

CGPRush
Aug 12 2008, 03:56 PM

Way friendly. Birdie heaven too. There's only a few that shouldn't be birds every time. BTW- We call it windway being on the lake and all.

Great! I'm signed up and will be there cart in hand ... er... hand on cart.

bigbadude
Aug 12 2008, 04:10 PM
So more pro's means more money for the division?
What time is the players meeting?

seewhere
Aug 12 2008, 04:19 PM
Schedule:
7:00-8:30am - Late Registration/Check-in
9:30am - Player's meeting
10:30am - Begin Round 1
Lunch break
Round 2
Presentations

WOW I have bever heard of 1 hour players meeting

Kette_Master
Aug 12 2008, 05:08 PM

Forgot to mention that there will be dancing girls and a high school band for your entertainment. It makes the player's meeting go a little long. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

seewhere
Aug 12 2008, 05:09 PM
:D

Mighty_Matt
Aug 13 2008, 01:19 AM

Forgot to mention that there will be dancing girls and a high school band for your entertainment. It makes the player's meeting go a little long. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

That sounds just way to awesome to miss. To all the Crowley guys I'm bringing Dusty Kinson, it will be his first PDGA event. We are all signed up and ready to go now.

Kette_Master
Aug 13 2008, 01:25 AM
$200.00 added to Open payout.
$300.00 added to Am payout.

bigbadude
Aug 13 2008, 10:18 AM
Sounding better all time. :)

Aug 14 2008, 03:54 PM
Funkytown Flyers will be represented at this event.
Miles Seaborn
Michael Brownlow
Colin Evans
Brice Longerbone

Kette_Master
Aug 14 2008, 05:46 PM
Funkytown Flyers in the house! We welcome you!

AnotherSteve
Aug 14 2008, 10:28 PM
Funkytown Flyers will be represented at this event.
Miles Seaborn
Michael Brownlow
Colin Evans
Brice Longerbone

Good Luck Guys...I gotta Work..again

bigbadude
Aug 15 2008, 12:08 PM
OK, what is the best way to get to the course from Austin?

bigbadude
Aug 15 2008, 12:33 PM
So would Hewitt Dr. then to Estates Dr. will take me into the park. ( Midway Park)

seewhere
Aug 15 2008, 12:38 PM
Directions to Woodway Disc Golf Park:
From I35 - Take the TX-340 Loop N / TX-6 toward Meridian. Go approx. 5 miles to the Bosque Blvd exit. Make a left on Bosque Blvd. Go approx. 1.5 miles. At the stop sign, go forward. Bosque turns into Estates. Go approx. 1 mile to the second park entrance on right. Tee pad for hole one is next to the pavilion.

GOOD LUCK and have a safe trip

bigbadude
Aug 15 2008, 01:31 PM
Ain't that the long way?

bigbadude
Aug 15 2008, 01:35 PM
the course
is in Midway Park?

seewhere
Aug 15 2008, 02:12 PM
Ain't that the long way?

I dont think so but not sure. TX 6 should be on this side of waco

bigbadude
Aug 15 2008, 02:17 PM
ok is it in Midway Park

seewhere
Aug 15 2008, 02:24 PM
I do not know the name of the park. but it says on line if you get on estate rd you cant miss it.

bigbadude
Aug 15 2008, 05:43 PM
I did check, looks like Midway Park, and I did check google. Hewitt Dr. to Estates Blvd. is the way to go. PDP might go Smokin Joe might go too.

Mighty_Matt
Aug 15 2008, 10:34 PM
Directions to Woodway Disc Golf Park:
From I35 - Take the TX-340 Loop N / TX-6 toward Meridian. Go approx. 5 miles to the Bosque Blvd exit. Make a left on Bosque Blvd. Go approx. 1.5 miles. At the stop sign, go forward. Bosque turns into Estates. Go approx. 1 mile to the second park entrance on right. Tee pad for hole one is next to the pavilion.

GOOD LUCK and have a safe trip

How about from Meridian? Yes I live way out in the country?

Mighty_Matt
Aug 15 2008, 10:56 PM
I agree on the baggers competing now days. I was just looking at the current reg. 1 open not even a 900 rated player. 2 advanced 911,939 step up guys, and Kudos to "Rockin Joe" I want to shake your hand tomorrow.

Good luck everyone, Dusty is so ready to go

lazlong
Aug 16 2008, 01:04 AM
Look Matt, I"ll tell ya how to get there. See that thingy up in the corner that says "Google". Click on that and type in "google maps". Just kidding! Had to rib ya.
From Meridian take 6 south thru Clifton and Valley Mills, go over Lake Waco, take a right at Bosque and go straight until you see baskets.
Although, if your coming from Tolar, you're screwed any way you go.
To everybody else, I swear it's a straight shot off the highway to the course. Just go straight! lol!
The interchange at loop I-35 and loop 340 is the only "new" interchange for like 70 miles in either direction. Just south of Waco.
I hope somebody can use this info as I'm posting at 11PM.
<font color="red"> Bring rain gear. </font> lol! See everyone there.

lazlong
Aug 16 2008, 01:11 AM
BTW- I don't know about stepping up but, I do know Funkytown is sending the heavy hitters.
AND, if I don't go 10-15 down for the day I may do something rash! lol!

Kette_Master
Aug 16 2008, 11:45 PM
...results are posted:
http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=8061

Kette_Master
Aug 16 2008, 11:49 PM
Congrats to Geoff Clark on hitting the ace on hole #1. It was all chains, and everyone in the park heard it.

Mighty_Matt
Aug 17 2008, 01:33 AM
OK so tell me why the website that our credit is supposed to be from wants my credit card? I'm beginning to feel jerked around. Low payout then unable to cash it in.

Kette_Master
Aug 17 2008, 11:18 AM
Matt-

Let me see if I can help you. It states on the Am vouchers that they are valid from 8/19/08 thru 10/19/08. I first have to send Solstice Discsports the cash to cover payout which will be first thing Monday. After they receive that, the vouchers will be activated and ready to use. I think the reason the site is asking for your credit card is because you are trying to use a voucher code that is not yet valid.

This was a charity event benefiting The Baylor Autism Resource Center here in Waco. Nine dollars out of every entry fee went to the charity. (btw... Thank you and everyone else for helping to raise $396 for the charity.) I added the majority of sponsorship money to the Am divisions with more of it going to the higher divisions. I put many hours into preparing for this event and did my best to give the players something they would enjoy. I still have to file the TD report with the PDGA, write appreciation letters to the sponsors, and write a donation check to the charity. Oh yes, and go spend all that money I made from hosting this event. ;-)

If you would like, I can send you a PDGA Tour Event Evaluation form that you can complete and send to the PDGA to express your satisfaction or disapproval concerning this event.

-Channon

Mighty_Matt
Aug 17 2008, 11:30 AM
Channon, Thank you for the reply, that makes sense about the web credits.
As far as the other, don't take me wrong I think you ran a great event, I and some others just feel that the payouts were low. It seems like all that was added to the Am payout went to the Adv. div.

Kette_Master
Aug 17 2008, 12:53 PM
Matt-

You are correct, the majority of the added cash was allocated to the Adv players. Out of the $300 added to the Am divisions, $180 went to Adv, $90 to Rec, and $30 to Novice. (There were no Intermediate players.) If you do the math, that is 60%, 30%, and 10%, respectively. I did what I thought was fair.

Looking back, I think I may restructure the entry fees next year, charging more for the higher divisions and allocating the added cash respectively ...but then again, I was also "leaving the door open" for people to move-up being that the Adv, Int, and Rec entry fees were the same. The only difference was that the Rec players played the short tees.

I have to say that I have even more respect for all the TDs out there. You really don't know what all goes into running an event until you run one yourself.

Pogis
Aug 17 2008, 02:35 PM
You did a great job! Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I had a great time and was happy I came!

And Matt, as for the low payouts, this was a charity event. You should understand before you enter that the payouts will be lower. Plus added cash should ALWAYS benifit the higher divisions. This encourages people to move up, and puts the more money where the most players are. I know this isnt always the case, but 90% of the time it is. Not trying to get onto you or anything, just trying to explain. Great tourney!

Mighty_Matt
Aug 17 2008, 06:12 PM
Miles, I do. Just seemed low though it was dbl my money. Yes great tourney and I dont want anyone to think I had a bad time

Kette_Master
Aug 17 2008, 08:10 PM
Some pics I took:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Kette.Master/WoodwayChallenge2008

lazlong
Aug 17 2008, 08:32 PM
Nice tourney. Thanks for running it. Looks like I'm missing part of my arm in that pic you took of me on #1 tee. lol

colin-evans
Aug 18 2008, 11:01 AM
Some pics I took:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Kette.Master/WoodwayChallenge2008

Apparently he tried to take a picture of me and the camera quit working.

BTW: Great event on a fun, frustrating little course. 10 stroke swing.... wooo hooo

ce

Mighty_Matt
Aug 18 2008, 05:41 PM
The vouchers will be ready to use at midnight tonight

2fingerslinger42
Aug 18 2008, 06:11 PM
Hey Channon thanks for running such a fun tournament. Knowing that just a few of us raised that much money has to make you feel good. I know it does me! I will definetly be back next year. Britt thanks for talking me into going sorry I had to lay down the woopin :cool: and Matt matt matt MOVE UP :( J/K

Kette_Master
Aug 19 2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks, Josh. Nice shootin' by the way.

As I said at the player's meeting, I decided to host this tournament to help raise autism awareness and benefit The Baylor Autism Resource Center. I also have a son with autism. Hosting this event was a way for me to also give back to this sport we all love.

I wired the $$ and codes to Solstice this morning. They said they just received a huge Innova order and that the inventory will be updated by the end of the day. Everything should be ready to go for tomorrow.

Mighty_Matt
Aug 19 2008, 09:55 AM
Channon, could you maybe give them a call about their shipping rates? I just was trying to cash in Dusty's voucher for him. A stool and a quad-shock strap. Cheapest shipping method was over $30 Thats more than half of his voucher value.

chrispfrisbee
Aug 19 2008, 11:12 AM
Sorry about that! It is fixed now. Somehow the shipping weight of the stool was entered at 49 Lbs!!! Now you wouldn't want to carry that stool during a round! :)

Any questions about the ProShop or the checkout process can be directed to me. Just shoot me a PM or email or call me 205-913-1352.

Thanks.

Kette_Master
Aug 19 2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Chris.

Mighty_Matt
Aug 20 2008, 10:03 AM
Yes thanks, got it all taken care of and stuff ordered. Still think the stool thing is funny, yes 49lb wud be alot to carry around