jmc2442
Jul 22 2008, 04:15 PM
good luck this weekend dudes. we'll be rooting for you.

Make the Cut, Get Paid Son! Show those folks how the 724 reps it!

kUrTp
Jul 22 2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah Yeah.. Do It Do It...Show them New Englanders how Da Burgh Rolls!

sandalbagger
Jul 23 2008, 11:07 AM
I'm packing up my stuff right now. lots of extra discs for those water holes!

gotcha
Jul 23 2008, 11:14 AM
Don't forget bug spray.....

Good luck this weekend! :D

garydropcho
Jul 24 2008, 03:15 PM
You guys go! Play well and represent.

Best of Luck.

sandalbagger
Jul 24 2008, 06:53 PM
The course is amazing. DVD's don't do it justice. Might be the nicest piece of property I have ever played disc golf on. The wooded holes have all been raked so the fairways are soooo nice. Some holes are what Deer Lakes 13 and 14 want to be. And then the water holes are amazing. This might be my new favorite course.

And the Vibram QuaBoing teepads are awesome!!! We should get them for Moraine

jmc2442
Jul 25 2008, 08:59 AM
Some holes are what Deer Lakes 13 and 14 want to be.

... here we go again......

sandalbagger
Jul 25 2008, 08:28 PM
Josh....you would understand if you were here. There is one hole here just like hole 6 at Deer.. Its awesome!!! I almost got the only 3 on it.

The woods are like Deer Lakes, except the tree have been removed from the fairway and every fairway has been raked and cleaned where there is not even a stray pine needle on the ground.

Also its what Paw Paw wished it could be :)

This truly is my new favorite course in the world, and by far the best tournament I have ever been in. It truly is an amazing experience. I will be back next year for sure!!!!

MOraine and Deer Lakes are the best practice grounds you could play on for this event. MAn we are so lucky to have 3 of the best courses in the world.

Other than my double circle 6 on 16 and my 5 on 18. I played fairly wellm only missing 2 putts. I think I can shoot a 62 tomorrow though.

We will see.

Hopefully my near ace on hole 5 (over the water) makes the highlights. Only because I fell so hard on my [censored] when throwing. That stupid teepad had artificial grass.

NOTE TO SID.....TURF NO GOOD

sandalbagger
Jul 25 2008, 08:32 PM
I would also say the course is what Paw Paw could be if they would get rid of some of those stuipid trees. Though the water here is much more severe, and absolutely beautiful.

This truly is disc golf paradise!!!

sandalbagger
Jul 25 2008, 09:13 PM
here is some live webcam footage of today that has been archived. You can see Nathan Krahn nailing a huge putt in the first few minutes.

Jeff_LaG
Jul 25 2008, 09:52 PM
Some holes are what Deer Lakes 13 and 14 want to be.

... here we go again......

Chris Dietzel, I think I speak for most yinzers in that we are sick and tired of hearing about what you think Deer Lakes "13 and 14 want to be" and ask that you please just drop it.

sandalbagger
Jul 25 2008, 10:40 PM
Just saying....playing a hole for 800 feet through a forest with no real shot other than luck is pretty silly.

and that the maple hill course has 2 similar holes to 13 and 14 at deer lakes, that are very alike in design. The execution is just perfect here. for example....hole 9 here and hole 13 at deer lakes are very similar, but hole 9 here is far superior in terms of playability. I think 13 and 14 could be great if you removed a bunch of big [censored] trees....

That along with the fact that these woods are just so nicely manicured beyond anything I've ever seen. It's gorgeous. But the course is so similar to Moraine and Deer Lake in so many ways. There is no way but to LOVE every hole you play out here.

And I'll keep complaining about those 2 holes for now. I know they will get better, but for now, you have to admit they are pretty freaking silly. Part of the enjoyment of disc golf is being able to throw at a gap and hit it with precision. I much prefer that over throwing it at an area and hoping that with some bit of skillful luck that it may get through that gap and end up somewhere where you might be able to do the same thing once again. It's beautiful land through those woods, it would just be nice to see it develop what I am sure the original intention was. I'm not sure if we are restricted in cutting down large trees in the park or what, but if we could cut a few down it would vastly inprove the overall enjoyment factor of the course. And I usually play 14 extremely well, carding the birdie 4 more than 50% 0f the time. But, it's always trying to throw some crazy shot into some pocket way up in the trees with a giant S-curve that I just keep praying doesn't hit that tree, or tail off into those thorns, and somehow after a few hail marys my disc comes to rest just on the other side of the ditch. It's actually quite fun at times, but wouldn't it be fun to actually have a fairway to hit.
And then playing here which is such similar terrain, just makes you go "yeah, thats what it should look like".

sandalbagger
Jul 25 2008, 10:45 PM
I've got some other gripes too....about how Maple Hill isn't a par 59.

It's a shame text doesn't come out nearly the way it would spoken in person.

kUrTp
Jul 27 2008, 07:05 PM
Congrats guys for making the cut and getting paid. :D

Jeff_LaG
Jul 27 2008, 07:34 PM
you have to admit they are pretty freaking silly.

I'll do nothing of the sort. I think both holes have very obvious fairways that skilled golfers can hit with regularity. Several times now I have been halfway up on the hillside below the A pin on hole#14 after two throws looking at a 75-footer for an eagle 3. If there was no truly no fairway as you've claimed, that would not have happened multiple times.

Bottom line is that you envisioned these holes designed differently, and they didn't pan out that way. However the course designers, the course pro, and hundreds of local disc golfers are very happy with the way they came out, and all your moaning about it isn't going to get these holes re-designed. So why do you continue to bother, which just serves to annoy everyone?

kUrTp
Jul 28 2008, 08:54 AM
Sorry to say but I do agree with Ditz about hole #14. Just on Saturday I had a good tee shot, which was a poke and hope. I missed the perfect landing area by 10 feet so my second shot was a poke and hope. I was in the middle of the fairway again and guess what, my third shot was another poke and hope.

This is all I'm going to say about this hole, I think there is no way someone should have three consecutive poke and hope shots on one hole, when all three shots are from the middle of the fairway.

Hole #13 is fine. I think Chris doesn't like it because it's a backhand tee shot. :D

Anyways, Good job Tim and Chris.

How many cashes is that for you Chris? You're on a roll this year.

sandalbagger
Jul 28 2008, 09:28 AM
jeff, I birdied Hole 14 5 times in a row before any of the stuff was ever cleaered away. And believe me, it was all luck :)

Kurt, you might be right about the BH thing on 13 :) Actually its not so much the tee shot I don't like, but the second shot.

And last of all, the vibram open was the best tournament hands down ever that I have been to.

And I think that's 7 of 9 cashing this year. Missing PA state by 1 stroke, and sucking it up royally at Norwalk.

Tim and I already have $100 deposit in for next years event!!

And the tournament layout Maple Hill course is now my new favorite course in the world, knocing Moraine flat on it's butt.

And to keep things fair.....Maple Hill is everything Moraine wishes it could be also. :)

sandalbagger
Jul 28 2008, 09:49 AM
Me and Tim are just about to leave the hotel for a round at WARWICK!!!!

gotcha
Jul 28 2008, 09:54 AM
One of the things easily overlooked is the fact that Deer Lakes is still in development. Aside from a few trees which need to be removed on select holes, the natural tees are presently located in places which are the safest/flattest locations. Once we start building the permanent concrete tees, a few of today's tee locations will probably be relocated to a slightly different position. I do believe the permanent blue tee on Hole 14 will change significantly in effort to improve upon today's tee shot. Stand in front of the red tee and look back up the fairway/hillside toward the blue tee.....there are several locations which would be prime for placement of the permanent blue tee......and many of which may not require large tree removal.

As for hole 13, I'm a proponent for relocating the blue tee down the hill on the far side of the creek.....move white to where blue is now.....move red to where white is now. With the blue tee at the bottom of the hill, it would be much more of a challenge to clear the top of the hill and set up the subsequent approach shot. A tee shot from below the hill would be more neutral (as opposed to the present day blue tee which greatly favors the RHBH player). Currently, I see too many RHBH shots which hyzer easily over the hilltop, often leaving simple approaches to both A and B pin locations. If left the way it is, I think the hole is too easy to be considered a true par 4.

sandalbagger
Jul 29 2008, 01:13 PM
"I think both holes have very obvious fairways that skilled golfers can hit with regularity."

I must be one of the most skilled golfers in the world then with only 1 bogey recorded in over 50 rounds at Deer Lakes on hole 14. I didn't realize I was so Amazing :)

As for 14, I don't really have a problem with the tee shot. It is actually kind of fair for the most part. Its everything that happens after the tee shot that bothers me. Where is the landing zone? Where should a drive land? It just doesn't seem to matter much, because no matter what you are going to have to work some sort of shot through some miracle gap at some point in your next 3 shots.

oh yeah....WARWICK............hmmmm....not anywhere near as nice as I had hoped it would be. No way in hell it would ever make my top 10 list. I had expected the best, but was easily dissapointed. Maple Hill, Knob Hill, Deer Lakes, and Moraine easily top Warwick in my mind. Tim agreed whole heartedly. Just goes to show once again, that PITTSBURGH IS WHERE THE BEST DISC GOLF COURSES ARE!!! We definitely have the largest concentration of good courses of anywhere I have ever been. Now if only we could get someone to rebuild the Maple Hill course nearby.

Rex_Trimm
Jul 29 2008, 01:17 PM
Congrats to both you and Timmy. That's awesome that you made the cut and got paid. Can I borrow twenty bucks?

jmc2442
Jul 29 2008, 01:21 PM
what we need is someone who has 200+ acres to GIVE us. then we could do whatever the heck we wanted with ease.

clearing brush, no problem, make a pile then BURN IT.
building paths and elevated tees/greens. NO PROBLEM, its our land!

weedwack fairways, we can! use chainsaws, sure, dont cut your branch off tho!

private property is showing itself to be the best solution for all things disc golf. Maple Hill, the Saul's par 72 or whatever crazy course down south. Biscoe's VA paradise, amongst others. All private. all able to do whatever/whenever.

man, i wish i had a powerball course!

sandalbagger
Jul 29 2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks to everyone for the support!!!!!

Do anything you can to get in for next years event. By far the best disc golf tournament I have ever been to. The course is just amazing, and the amount of fun had was unbelievable. Me and Timmy are already signed up for next year.

sandalbagger
Jul 29 2008, 04:20 PM
For sure Josh. Private is where it is at. If all goes well, within 2 years, Lori and me should have a new course in the works on our own private disc golf dream.

But to find land like Maple Hill would cost a few million dollars for sure!! The ponds and old growth trees are what really make that place so spectacular.

sandalbagger
Jul 29 2008, 10:28 PM
Check out this video. http://www.justin.tv/prime_discs/174124/Round_3__Player_Interviews

At 2:07:55 I make my last shot of the tournament, about a 90 foot birdie putt for 3!!

Jeff_LaG
Jul 29 2008, 11:00 PM
"I think both holes have very obvious fairways that skilled golfers can hit with regularity."

I must be one of the most skilled golfers in the world then with only 1 bogey recorded in over 50 rounds at Deer Lakes on hole 14. I didn't realize I was so Amazing :)

You are proving my point exactly and worsening your own case. If you've only taken one bogey in 50 rounds on hole#14 at Deer Lakes, then you are hitting the fairway in succession with regularity. It is not the miracle gap and luck shot you are leading everyone to believe, or otherwise you would have surely taken so many more bogeys.

sandalbagger
Jul 30 2008, 09:51 AM
Its the fact that my second shot is always a poke in hope. Left side, right side, through the middle. All I do is try to get as far as possible. Can't really say I'm aiming at anything other than trying to get over the valley.

Lets just drop it Jeff.

kUrTp
Jul 30 2008, 09:56 AM
I hate hole #14 at the DLDGC. AND I also hate hole #16 at Moraine.

So whatch ya going to do...Brother :D

sandalbagger
Jul 30 2008, 09:58 AM
LMAO. Best post ever Kurt. I think we should pull the courses.

kUrTp
Jul 30 2008, 10:03 AM
Complete redesign!

They both need to be more like Schenley.

sandalbagger
Jul 30 2008, 10:15 AM
YES. ANd I take full responsibility for 16 sucking as it was my design. Actually 13 and 16 were the last 2 holes to be designed on the course. Originally you would play hole 12 and then go to 14. After 15 there was a short little uphill par 3 to the pine trees (I aced the stake) and then another short par 3 that went through the pines to the left and played towards 17's tee. I was so upset with these two holes and realized they did not flow well with the rest of the course. SO I went walking through the woods during a major thunderstorm. When I got to where hole 13 is, a tree fell down and landed on my shoulder!! OUCH!! And then I looked both ways and saw what is now the fairway for 13. Then walked to where the tee of 16 is now and started working up that hill. If only you could have seen how much stuff was on top of the hill. I told J Gary it would come through the pines and then through the woods to where the pin is now. I really wanted a par 5 on the back 9. Somedays I like the hole, somedays I think it could have been better.

Just curious Kurt, what is it that you don't like about the hole? The pines? The top? All of it? Just curious as there is still the chance to make it a better hole.

gotcha
Jul 30 2008, 10:20 AM
Its the fact that my second shot is always a poke in hope. Left side, right side, through the middle. All I do is try to get as far as possible. Can't really say I'm aiming at anything other than trying to get over the valley.

For the record, there are trees which will be removed from the mid-fairway section of hole 14. There are three trees that I know of for sure as J Gary and I have discussed these particular trees a few weeks ago.....two on the right side fairway and one on the left. As stated previously, tee placement will determine if any trees near the first valley need to be felled.

Gotta run...headed to State College and Altoona today!

gotcha
Jul 30 2008, 10:26 AM
Just curious Kurt, what is it that you don't like about the hole? The pines? The top? All of it? Just curious as there is still the chance to make it a better hole.

Aside from an additional pin placement (or two), hole 16 at Moraine is perfect the way it is. Probaby the most criticized hole on the course, I believe a large amount of the criticism is based upon the hole being "unconventional" in the way it is usually played. I've experienced over 200 disc golf courses and I cannot think of another hole which is remotely close to that design. It is definitely one of my favorite holes at Lakeview.

kUrTp
Jul 30 2008, 10:37 AM

Like Jerry just said, there is not one other DG hole anywhere close to hole #16. It's a Love Hate relationship for me. I love the layout because it's a make or break hole. The tee does need to be leveled. But, I hate the hole just because so many times it broke me. Recent trips to Moraine have been better. Once you play it acouple times it's easier than what non locals might think. Drive to bottom/middle of pines. Forehand roller over the top as far as possible, upshot, and putt.

nitchkabob
Aug 30 2008, 12:22 PM

Like Jerry just said, there is not one other DG hole anywhere close to hole #16. It's a Love Hate relationship for me. I love the layout because it's a make or break hole. The tee does need to be leveled. But, I hate the hole just because so many times it broke me. Recent trips to Moraine have been better. Once you play it acouple times it's easier than what non locals might think. Drive to bottom/middle of pines. Forehand roller over the top as far as possible, upshot, and putt.

Avery got an easy three on it in 07' with a sky roller off the tee. You just need to be more creative Kurt. Great hole, great course, don't change a thing! Are you guys still working on getting another course in out there?