gotcha
Jul 17 2008, 09:54 AM
Who turned you on to disc golf?
When and where was your first round?
What was your first disc(s)?

A friend from college, Gary Bennett, and his roommate, Kenny Glaze, turned me on to disc golf in July of '91. My first round was at Veterans Park in Arlington, TX and I shot a score of 91 using a Stingray and a Super Puppy! I was instantly hooked! I believe it was the very next day I dragged Brian Mace (MaceMan Disc Golf Gear) out to Veterans to which he also developed a passion for the game after only one round.
Good memories...... :D

MTL21676
Jul 17 2008, 09:57 AM
Who - A neighbor up the street - Dustin "Tree" Lynch ( I was 9, he was 12). His older brother got into it with some high school buddies and showed his brother who in turn showed me.
When - Feb 1993
Where - Cedar Hills Rotary Park - Raleigh, NC. I don't remember what I shot, but I do remember taking a 13.
First Disc - I played my first round with a lid. The first disc I bought was a shark.

cgkdisc
Jul 17 2008, 10:00 AM
Brochure for the 1989 Star of the North State Games
Moir Park, Bloomington, MN 9 holes of saucer cone baskets. Shot 27 using a Master Frisbee and thought that shooting "par" was pro level right away. Little did I know.
Bought a 195g Phenix since the Innova literature at the store said that was the World Record driver at the time. :eek: Finally could throw a golf disc when my second disc was a 168 Eclipse.

dgdave
Jul 17 2008, 10:00 AM
Who-My budd Caleb Brown. Oddly enough, my dad and uncle played, but never seriousy. my dad got back into it after i did

When- Sometime around 1995

Where- Riverview park in Miami, Oklahoma

Discs- A sanny or ontario roc and a metalhead viper Caleb's dad let me borrow

johnbiscoe
Jul 17 2008, 10:15 AM
who- various friends, chris hysell and will lewis later got me into tournament golf

when- late 1994, early 1995

where- gillies creek park, richmond (got installed right down the hill from my house)

discs- 1st was a 179 gram marauder, 1st one i could throw was a 174 panther.

crotts
Jul 17 2008, 10:19 AM
Who-My Dad, he played Ultimate in the 70's and Lewis Hoffmann introduced him to the game.

When- My dad used to take me out in a stroller before I could walk so around '85-'86

Where- East Carolina University DGC

Discs- No idea

: ) :

rollinghedge
Jul 17 2008, 10:27 AM
WHo - Ben Gill
When - 95 or 96
Where - Wellsprings course @ Cedarock Park
Disc - ultimate disc

Pogis
Jul 17 2008, 10:37 AM
Who: A buddy from church.
When: Dec. of 2004.
Where: ZBoaz in Ft. Worth Tx. With a 149 Shark!

my_hero
Jul 17 2008, 10:48 AM
Who turned you on to disc golf? <font color="red"> a summer camp counselor </font>
When and where was your first round? <font color="red">1984 - Pine Cove christian camp, Lake Palestine TX </font>
What was your first disc(s)? <font color="red"> 1st disc used - 40 mold Midnight Flyer. 1st disc owned(1992) - san marino Roc (still have it) :D</font>

tyson99duke
Jul 17 2008, 11:21 AM
Who turned you on to disc golf? Took it in College as an elective. Ultimate/Disc Golf Class at High Point University
When and where was your first round? 2000, Johnson Street Park
What was your first disc(s)? Went out and bought Lighting Disc #1, #2 and Putter for the class.

bschweberger
Jul 17 2008, 11:34 AM
Who turned you on to disc golf? Jerry Baker, friend from old job.
When and where was your first round? 1997 Kentwood
What was your first disc(s)? 180 gram white Shark.... that was a great disc

OSTERTIP
Jul 17 2008, 11:36 AM
Who turned you on to disc golf? Camp Counselor 1985, but did not play again until Summer of 2004 when friends took me out for a round. In 2004 I was hooked after the first round.

When and where was your first round? 2004 Pendleton King Park, Augusta, GA

What was your first disc(s) First disc was a DX Valk, first Champion plastic disc was a 161g Valk (still have it)

When and where was your first hole in one? Fore Palms disc golf course. 2 days before the yearly event in June 2006. 180 foot blind uphill shot with a Z Wasp. giggity!

MTL21676
Jul 17 2008, 11:36 AM
What was your first disc(s)? <font color="red"> 1st disc used - 40 mold Midnight Flyer. 1st disc owned - san marino Roc (still have it) :D</font>

I'm on the phone with discraft as we speak :D

ninafofitre
Jul 17 2008, 11:44 AM
Who turned you on to disc golf? <font color="blue"> my golfing buddy Rodney that attented Okie State University and played Boomer Lake </font>
When and where was your first round? <font color="blue">June 1993 McClure Park, Tulsa, OK, first tourney OKIE States Aug. 93 </font>
What was your first disc(s)? <font color="blue"> Yellow Scorpion &amp; Pink Shark, followed the next day by a glow F15 and grey Stealth </font> (Lightning Discs weren't so bad back then)

my_hero
Jul 17 2008, 11:48 AM
The first driver that i was able to throw over 300' was Lightning's F-15 Eagle. I still have it too.

veganray
Jul 17 2008, 11:50 AM
Who turned you on to disc golf? Steve Dodge, whom I randomly drew as a college roommate in 1988.

When and where was your first round? Mary Washington College, fall 1988.

What was your first disc(s)? I didn't actually own discs then (used Steve's lids) &amp; dropped the game from summer 1989 until fall 2002, at which point I bought a DX Leopard, DX Stingray, &amp; DX Polecat.

When and where was your first hole in one? Many object aces in 1988 &amp; two at Pratt Park in fall 2002, but first basket ace was Loriella Park #10 in December 2002.

ninafofitre
Jul 17 2008, 11:52 AM
The first driver that i was able to throw over 300' was Lightning's F-15 Eagle. I still have it too.

It was actually the longest disc out when I got it...FAST and Stable (for about 5 rounds) :D

1st ace was on Hole 4 at McClure Park in 1994...funny thing is that I won a stuffed purple #4 billiard ball out of a crane game earlier that day and thought it was a sign and attached it to my Wall City, round golf bag and sure enough aced hole 4 that night with a Orange Whippet

zzgolfer
Jul 17 2008, 12:51 PM
Who: Dave Clauter and Kevin O�conner. I think they got into disc golf from don wilchek.
Where: Gilson park, just north of Chicago right on the lake.
When: 1977
What: Midnight flyer.
Played the first tournament at west park in 1979, i came in fourth. Dave Clauter was first, Keven O'conner was second.

tafe
Jul 17 2008, 12:57 PM
Who?: Kyle Maute, owner of Phenix Disc Sports.
Where?: My first round was at my home course, Knoch Knolls in Naperville, IL with a promotional fastback I found on campus (yes, I still have it).
When?: Sometime in the summer of 2000, then Kyle let me know what DISC golf was, not the F-word golf I had played.

Furthur
Jul 17 2008, 01:02 PM
Who: Me. I was an ultimate player on the Arkansas club team at the time, but also smoked at the time, so disc golf was a slower paced game perfect for me :).
Where: Gulley Park in Fayetteville, AR. No longer there because of the pedestrian traffic. I lived 2 blocks from the course, so it seemed like a natural fit.
When: Spring of 2003.

tiltedhalo
Jul 17 2008, 05:44 PM
When: I grew up playing object golf with my Dad -- so probably from when I was old enough to walk around the block -- 1982 or so, with old Frisbee 109g discs hitting mailboxes.

I didn't know disc golf was a "real sport" until college. In early 1997, a friend with one disc took me to Greenbelt park in Carrollton, TX. I had an Ultimate lid (I was an Ultimate player), and thought I Would trash him. He was using some old beat up lightning driver and I was shocked how far it went. His bad throws were as far as my good throws with a lid. Not long after, my family bought me three discs for my 19th birthday in June 1997 -- a DX Shark, a DX Gazelle and a supersoft Piranha (I still have the Piranha). That summer, my best friend and I tore it up just about every day, playing mostly Bear Creek in Grapevine, TX. At that time, I could only put a 167g Gazelle ~220', and that was by launching a forehand on a high anhzyer and letting it fade back.

First ace was two years later with a different DX Gazelle on one of the later holes at Research Park in College Station, TX. Blind 230' flick around a corner. I was shouting to wake the dead and doing handsprings across the ground I was so excited. That course has changed layouts so many times that I have no idea what the hole number would be now.

My best friend's first ace was a couple of years later with a 10X KC Roc at Bear Creek, hole 15 (the one that is straight towards the creek). The creek was high and muddy, so I threw first and went to wait behind the basket to try to stop any discs from our group that might be heading towards the water. He launches his drive off the box and I got to watch it fly the whole way in and hit dead center in the chains. It was awesome to get to watch his first ace from a vantage behind the basket. It's the only ace I've ever watched come flying towards me.

Played casually for a couple of years then played PDGA for about a year in 2003, then took four years off and picked it up again -- seriously for the first time -- last summer I've played way more tourneys and traveled way more for disc golf in the last year than I did in my first decade of playing.

Ah, so many good memories over the years.

Pizza God
Jul 17 2008, 06:43 PM
Not any one person, but playing Ultimate and loving frisbee's my whole life helped. My mom actually told me about "Frisbee Golf" before I started to play.

When and where was your first round?1st round at a disc golf course would have been in 1986/87 with a Whammo 185g ultimate disc. I played at least one round in Plano after that course was put in and one at Skyline Park in Dallas around that same time.

But it was not until someone showed me an actual golf disc that I got hooked on the sport. The day after he showed me those discs, I drove from Denton to Carrollton and purchased my first 2 discs on April 20th 1988. I then drove by the disc golf course and looked at it. I was unable to play because it was pooring down rain and the course was under water. I played my first round with real golf discs later that week.

I had purchased an F-15 Eagle and a P-?? Lightning. I threw both on hole one. The Lighting went 300 ft to the right of the hole and the Eagle went 300 ft to the left of the hole. (this was old #1 at Greenbelt in Carrollton) by the end of the round I was getting them to go pretty straight.

I met some guys playing a Mini on the weekends and joined in. I was familiar with Ultimate tournaments and loved playing organized play. I played my first tournament in June of that year, only 2 months after purchasing my 1st two discs.

michellewade
Jul 17 2008, 09:19 PM

Alain Cannon - a friend from high school took me tubing down the Salt River in AZ. He had an F-15 flyer - blue in color. I still have it to this day. We started tossing it across the river and kept getting further and further apart. I had no idea I could throw that far cuz before that all I ever tossed was Whamo Apples.

2 weeks later I entered my first tournament which had no divisions for the women it was just "women's division." I was tossed to the wolves and in with the big guns from day one. Back then it was Amy Bekken and Elaine King who ruled the courses and there was 16 women total at the Shelly Sharpe Memorial (now called just The Memorial.) It was October 2 and 3 of 1987. I finished 11th out of 16 women and was very happy "I had no 6's!"

After that I bought a 174 Scorpian and that was my main driver up until the 150 class came out.

BTW, our 30th year high school reunion is upcoming in October in AZ and I haven't seen Alain Cannon around in years. If anyone sees him, please have him contact me at [email protected] I heard he now has a kid which is cool. I remember we were all playing a monthly one time and news spread that his dad had a heart attack and had passed away. I found Alain on the course and broke the news to him and drove him back home. We hung out a lot in high schoool, playing ping-pong at the rec center and doing our homework. He and his family are all very nice sweet people and I'd love to see him again some day... hopefully in October.

Thanks for the memories! Year 21 is now underway and it's been a sweeeeeeet ride! :D;)

warwickdan
Jul 17 2008, 09:37 PM
None other than Dan "Stork" Roddick introduced me to the game on the Douglass College (New Brunswick, NJ) object course in September of 1974. My first "golf disc" was a black Master Frisbee disc.

I played my first tourney in 1974 at the Jersey Jam in New Brunswick, NJ. My two playing partners in my first ever tourney round of golf were Victor Malafronte and John Kirkland, two icons in the sport.

I was definitely in the right place at the right time.

cgkdisc
Jul 17 2008, 09:44 PM
They may be the icons but undoubtedly there are more players today that probably know you and your outstanding efforts for our sport (including your begging and cajoling :D)

davei
Jul 17 2008, 09:59 PM
Who-Janice (A woman I worked with)
Where-La Mirada
When-1977 A couple months after the pole hole course was installed.

First disc for disc golf was a Super Pro, then a 50 mold, then an 80 mold etc.

First disc ever was in 1958 with a mars/pluto platter.

circle_2
Jul 17 2008, 10:00 PM
Originally played object disc golf on our made-up course on the West-campus of KU ~ '82-'84

My first round of dg on a DG course: '83 Swope in KC - thought throwing lids at these chain/basket-things was ridiculous

Fast forward to '97 - got hooked in Lawrence, KS, Centennial Park - by AJ Boyle, who now resides in Austin, TX...not sure if he still plays anymore.

Cheetah, Typhoon, Hawk, Piranha

westxchef
Jul 18 2008, 01:48 AM
Who? don't even know his name. a friend of a friend was having a birthday party at Zilker Park and asked if someone would be his doubles partner at the mini on the other side of the park. I had thrown alot of frisbee and played some ultimate before, so I said yes. I was hooked from throw 1.

When? sometime around late '91 I think because my first tournament T-shirt was from "Earth Day" 1992 at Zilker. I think I played at least one round 700 days over the next 2 years, before real life responsibility kicked-in.

First discs were a Shadow and an Aviar I bought from Armadillo Sport right down the street from Zilker.

discette
Jul 18 2008, 09:43 AM
Barry Cullinan said I should try Disc Golf since I enjoyed playing catch. Sadly he can no longer play due to MS.
September, 1996 at Sugarbottom DGC in North Liberty, IA
I played my first tournament there a few weeks later and was hooked for life.
First discs were a black Shark and a yellow Rubber Putter.

Lyle O Ross
Jul 18 2008, 11:53 AM
Andy Salinger - his doctor told him he needed to walk more and so he started throwing discs while he walked. I came along for the conversation.

1996 or thereafter.

I'm hazy on first discs - The first ones I know I had were a Gazelle, a Cheetah and a Magnet putter. Remember the Raven? Somewhere in there I bought an MRV...

First Rounds - 9 holer at Rice University across from Baylor College of Medicine.

the_kid
Jul 18 2008, 12:18 PM
A bunch of players out at a Wind festival playing "Disco Golf". My Dad and I met Patrick Curry the next day and bought 20 discs from Academy and we took off from there.

3/25/00 1st day

180 Scorpion was my first draft pick of the 20 discs because it was the biggest and would obviously fly farther.

First rounds- Burke Crenshaw 9 holer followed by the 8200ft Wilmont for our 3rd round. :D

rizbee
Jul 18 2008, 01:56 PM
Who turned you on to disc golf? <font color="blue">My childhood best friend, Kurt Fink, and I played catch like crazy, and we started playing object golf around the neighborhood after reading about it in Stancil Johnson's book. Probably about 1977.</font>

When and where was your first round? <font color="blue"> First organized round was at the Florida State Championships in 1978 (I think) in Orlando. We played using ground baskets made from chicken wire. That weekend I heard about the pay-to-play disc golf course in Rockledge, FL, about 15 miles from my home. My friends and I became immediate regulars, playing every weekend and most days during summer vacation. I played in my (and the course's first tournament on poleholes a few months later - I think I tied for first in the Am. division with Gary Bancroft.</font>

What was your first disc(s)? <font color="blue">I remember playing a lot with a yellow Wham-O Fastback, original FB1, and various Super Pros. I also had a blue Fastback (FB6) from the CK101-FM Frisbee Fly-in that I loved. Once the first Wham-O World Class Frisbees came out they were instant favorites. My first golf disc was a DGA Night Flyer, 40 Mold #8. It's hanging on my wall now.</font>

bbotte
Jul 18 2008, 02:44 PM
Mike Schick (Brad Schick's Father)
Blendon Woods Metro Park 1990
First disc was a 180+ gram Phoenix.

BigJerm
Jul 18 2008, 02:49 PM
who? some friends from high school called me shortly after coming home from my sophomore year at appalachian state. i had played 2 years of ultimate for the school's club team and was eager to discover another form of competitive flying discs sports

where? RENAISSANCE PARK charlotte, nc!!!

when? may 2006 - haven't looked back since!

first disc? who knows- i think it was a glo leopard or eagle that my friend let me play with. that round, while trying to find my disc in the shule, i found a fly-die champion teebird and was so excited... i threw a chicken wing drive on the VERY NEXT SHOT and lost the disc. and THATS when i found my very first (second) disc that i still own today, a beat up ching roc.

first ace- camp rockmont hole 11 summer 06. after just discovering the game, i went off to camp for the summer to become a counselor. they had a disc golf course there and that pretty much where i fell in love with the game. during my free time i would go to the counselor's lounge to read about disc golf online. i remember reading something about rollers so i decided to go the course to try them out. on hole 11 there was this huge tree that protected high shots, wide shots, low shots, pretty much EVERYTHING so i had no idea what to do with the hole so i threw a flick roller right at it underneath the tree. the disc hopped a few times, rolled up and over the hills and JUST missed hitting the pole, it zipped past the basket, smacked the wooden fence that was about 5 feet past behind it and took a backwards bounce and shot directly into the basket. no chains. flick roller first ace.

riverdog
Jul 18 2008, 03:35 PM
first ace- camp rockmont hole 11 summer 06. after just discovering the game, i went off to camp for the summer to become a counselor. they had a disc golf course there and that pretty much where i fell in love with the game. during my free time i would go to the counselor's lounge to read about disc golf online. i remember reading something about rollers so i decided to go the course to try them out. on hole 11 there was this huge tree that protected high shots, wide shots, low shots, pretty much EVERYTHING so i had no idea what to do with the hole so i threw a flick roller right at it underneath the tree. the disc hopped a few times, rolled up and over the hills and JUST missed hitting the pole, it zipped past the basket, smacked the wooden fence that was about 5 feet past behind it and took a backwards bounce and shot directly into the basket. no chains. flick roller first ace.

Great story Jeremy. Was that the last time you threw a roller. ;) :D Would loved to have seen you and Henry rip one or two rollers off last Sunday at High Country. Not sure if they would have cleared the road rip-rap though. Man oh man what a show y'all put on. And, just in case, thanks again for finding my mini two years ago at the IB. :D :D :D

Rodney Gilmore
Jul 20 2008, 01:20 PM
Who? A guy in my anthroplolgy class. John Gilliam if I remember correctly

Where? Wellspring in Cedarock park Burlington NC

When? September 1992

What? A Scorpion. My first throws were about 50' high and maybe 150' long. Within a week or two I went and bought my first discs, a Cobra and a Birdie. The Birdie is long gone, donated to some other new golfer after I discovered the Aviar. The Cobra had a much more tragic end during a January round a year or so later. Cobras, cold days, and large cedar trees are never a good combo.

bravo
Jul 20 2008, 06:15 PM
throw champion cobras, they are money discs.
I sure wish they wer'nt discontinued

ChrisWoj
Jul 20 2008, 09:58 PM
My friend Alex Dugger was the first person to show me a disc a little over three years ago. I played my first rounds as object rounds on my campus with a number two driver as my all-purpose disc (it truly was just that... it flew and it floated in water AND it glowed in the dark!).

Karma Police
Jul 23 2008, 04:14 PM
I guess I got myself into it. Went to the course with my girlfriend and it was absolutely packed. About 10 groups waiting on the 1st tee. We decided to just throw the frisbee around. Went again and the same thing occurred. Decided to just throw the frisbee around. (Patience is not one of my virtues). Went again and the course was of once again packed. We decided to just play a round and see how it went. That was Aug. of 2002 and we've both been playing ever since. I can't tell you how glad I am that we decided to play that round. The course was Elver Park in Madison, WI. First discs were an X2 (1st ace disc) and a purple soft magnet.

ericdmb
Jul 23 2008, 04:58 PM
Who? - my friend Mike who will be one of my best men at my wedding in November.

Where? - my first experience with disc golf was safari golf at the local park in Bloomsburg, PA. We went to Bloomsburg University and there was not a course within an hour. He asked if I wanted to try it, I did and thought it was alright. about 2 weeks later we drove to the closest course (Francis E. Walter Dam in White Haven, PA) and I played my first round!

When? - Sophmore year of college - fall of 1997

md21954
Jul 24 2008, 10:34 AM
a college rugby teammate (pete)

'97ish. pete lived in gaithersburg, md near my brother. we played seneca a few times when i was visiting. i didn't play regularly again until i moved back to baltimore in '01. i found out druid hill park had a course and was less than five minutes from my house. i've played almost everyday since.

i lost a few of my buddy's that i can't remember. i had a cheetah, a shark and a rhino to start when i started playing regularly.

tbender
Jul 24 2008, 11:39 AM
Who? Guys from Ultimate. We used to play the CenTex tourney every year and part of the tradition was going up early on Friday and playing a couple of rounds.

Where? Bart Park in Austin.

When? March 2000.

First disc(s)? Cheetah, Shark, Aviar.

We also used to play an object course on the UHouston campus. The rule was we could only use Ultrastars because they were white and you could see them at night (which was the only time you could play the course since it played through the campus).

klemrock
Jul 24 2008, 11:47 AM
Back in 1991, I was playing catch Frisbee� in Balboa Park in San Diego, when I nearly collided with a basket. I asked this other guy what it was all about, and he explained Disc Golf to me. I caught the bug, but soon moved back to Illinois. Later I found out that it was Snapper Pierson!
My first discs were a 200g Jaguar, a 186g Viper, and a 178g Dimpled Grateful Dude.
It took another few years to find out about the PDGA, which solidified my love of this sport.

frisbeeguy
Jul 24 2008, 01:43 PM
Who turned you on to disc golf? I first started playing golf with several of the great discin� community in Toronto, ON. There were some great all around and world class free-stylers that dragged me out�Pat Chartrand, Stu Godfrey, Ken Westerfield &amp; Brian McElwain come to mind. I had been playing Ultimate since the late �70s and loved to play anything disc related. (I have to admit I was not a fan. (Too slow &amp; too hard) My love for DG came many years later!

When and where was your first round? We played an object course in �The Beaches� and my first course with baskets was the Toronto Island course that was installed in 1981. My first tournament was around �84 on the Island and I also went on my first DG road trip to play a Jim Palmeri temp course in Buffalo, NY. The targets were chicken wire mesh �baskets� surrounding a stake in the ground.

What was your first disc(s)? My first ever disc was a �Master� model and I dutifully sent in the application to join the association (IFA?) that was on the packaging. I just played with an Ultimate disc until the 50 then 40 mold came out.
My first beveled edge golf disc was the new Innova �Eagle� that Paul Burak let me use to play with at my first ever tourney. (I didn�t have a golf disc) This was also the one &amp; only time I�ve ever played as an am - only 2 choices in those days�pro or am.
I had my first ever ace on my first throw of the tournament &amp; ended up winning by several shots. I�ve proceeded to play pro ever since�almost 20 years later I actually won a tourney again! (Nov. 2003)

RustyP
Jul 24 2008, 03:03 PM
Who? technically...Academy Sporting Goods Store

When? Summer 2004

How? A good friend and former roommate, Scott, and I used to throw an Ultrastar around in a field next to our apartment for kicks, until I stepped on the lid one day and cracked it. We went to the local Academy sports to buy a replacement, and found the Disc Golf section. Went back home, googled "Disc golf", found this site and the course directory and realized there were 20+ courses within reasonable driving distance (I was living in Garland, TX at the time).

Where? First round ever was at Audubon Park in Garland, TX...still one of my favorites when it isn't under construction. I think we played several of the holes from the wrong spots, as they were just dirt boxes marked with landscape timbers (and still are).

First disc? We went back to Academy that same day and I believe I picked up a DX Banshee and a DX Shark...been hooked ever since!

mattdisc
Jul 24 2008, 04:49 PM
Who: My Brother Jimbo
When: May 1982, on leave from the Marines.
Where: Morley Field, San Diego, CA. Where legends are born!
1st Disc: Started with a Moonlighter, bought a Kitty Hawk for the 2nd round. Played 5 rounds the 1st day, think I was hooked?

stevemaerz
Jul 25 2008, 10:57 PM
Was at a church conference at Colorado State University in 1986 and saw a guy throwing a disc and hitting metal poles at various places throughout the campus. I picked up a lid and played a round with my youth pastor.

Later found out there was a course 10 miles from my house in Akron,PA. Found a golf disc (innova ace) on the course and then ordered an aero and a 91 mold from Discovering the World. The rest is history.

bruce_brakel
Jul 26 2008, 10:18 AM

Who turned you on to disc golf? Wammo. On the back of the disc it said, "Invent games." Our mom kept banning games that involved throwing frisbees at each other.
When and where was your first round? Around the neighborhood, Libertyville, Illinois, mid 70s.
What was your first disc(s)? Pluto Platter. First golf disc was a Discraft Cruiser.

tkieffer
Jul 26 2008, 11:21 AM
Who? Also Wammo. After catch, football, target, freeestyle, frisbee tag and trying to bean each other got tiring, we started seeing who could reach and hit an object in the least number of throws.

Where? Wherever we were in Milwaukee, wherever we could find things to throw at that didn't get us into trouble, and didn't get our frisbee run over or confiscated. First real disc golf basket and 9 hiole course seen at UW-Stout in 1978.

First Disc? 141 gm World Class is the first I remember. Probably had a couple of junk toy frisbees before that. Might still be my favorite disc. First true disc golf disc was a Stingray (in 1985 I believe). But still had a 141gm in the bag for trick shots well into the later 80s.

stevemaerz
Jul 26 2008, 01:15 PM
First true disc golf disc was a Stingray (in 1985 I believe).

Stingray came out in 1988.

tkieffer
Jul 26 2008, 03:27 PM
I'm no expert on the release dates of particular discs, but I'm pretty sure it was a Stingray and I'm pretty sure that it was before 1988. Perhaps it was a stamp of an older mold before what we now call a Stingray came out? I know I bought it at the Brown Deer Park ball golf club house, and it was the only disc in the box that they had that didn't have a Brown Deer Disc Golf stamp on it. I'd guess the date as late Spring/early Summer of 1985 or 1986.

gdstour
Aug 20 2008, 01:42 AM
The kids in the neighborhood were playing back in 1972maybe 73 I think we were using a "regular" Whammo, but I know for sure I also had a Yellow ring I got out of a cheerios box.

pnkgtr
Aug 20 2008, 02:21 AM
Freestyler Evan Furtado (who just recently died)
1984?
Junior College object course
Whamm-O 70 mold and a Patent Pending Aero

pnkgtr
Aug 20 2008, 02:32 AM
I'm no expert on the release dates of particular discs, but I'm pretty sure it was a Stingray and I'm pretty sure that it was before 1988.

The original Eagle was PDGA approved in 1982.

otimechamp
Aug 20 2008, 02:28 PM
Who: I saw a bunch of guys throwing discs across the street from my apartment.

Where: Greenville NC, ECU

When: 2003/2004

First discs. An orange Pegasus!!!!

dionarlyn
Aug 20 2008, 03:38 PM
Colin Sexton took me out to Willamette Park in the summer of 2003 and showed me how to play the game. At the end of my second round on the fairway of 18 we stumbled across a no name orange champion valkyrie which became my first disc. Still have the disc!

JerryChesterson
Aug 20 2008, 04:10 PM
Who: Matt Dumke
Where: Marion, IA - Legion Disc Golf Course
When: Fall of 1994

Pulled into the parking lot and some other dudes busted out of a van Fast Time at Ridgemont High style. I thought hmmmm this sport might be for me.

First Discs: Shark &amp; Sting Ray

John Keith
Aug 21 2008, 02:25 AM
I was working in Vail Colorado! the snow melted so my Austrailian roomate took me the the golf course, at Lake Dillion Frisco Co. 9000ft elev plays around a lake. awesome. i had just broke my wrist attempting a new rail slide. so one armed golf was great.
i threw a Discraft Express for my driver, and a soft magnet for my putter.
i came back home to TX, had no job so i played all day every day for a month. the local Pros got me and put CE disc in my hand...and ive never stopped playing.

John Keith
Aug 21 2008, 02:26 AM
When: Spring of 2001

dcmarcus
Aug 21 2008, 11:44 AM
This thread has got me all choked up. Seriously. We are all so lucky to be a part of this family

Who? Ross Snyder
Where? An ultimate tourney in Clemson SC. He gave me a flyer for an overall tourney and told me about the course in Chastain Park in Atlanta - played immediately upon our return to the ATL.
When? 1979
What? 40 mold, brown, World Class 4 signature 119. That was a cool disc... first golf disc I touched was a 156g 40 mold Nite Flyer... first "real" golf disc was handed to me by Tom Monroe - a peachy orange Aero, or "Eagle", as it was then called.

Good times ensued for a few years...

Richard
Aug 21 2008, 04:28 PM
Who? My stepdad and uncle.
When and where? Wills Park Alpharetta, GA sometime in 91 i think. We played for about 2 years. I then picked the game back up in Sept' of 05.
First Disc? Hands On Aviar. I still have the disc it's hanging on the wall.

taydrl
Aug 21 2008, 05:09 PM
ATTENTION ALL LADY DISC GOLFERS

OK, LISTEN UP LADIES. I am trying to help here. I am beginning to wonder if the ladies of disc golf really want to promote this sport or just gripe about the low numbers of women players. I have issued a challenge on other threads to help those who want to help themselves. RESULTS, the board went quiet. My wife and I are trying to build a disc golf resort near tulsa, oklahoma. We are not disc golfers but we love the sport and the disc golf community as a whole. We are absolutely putting our money where our mouth is. We have had the honor of having our course played by some very good women players, including Courtney Peavey and Valerie Jenkins. As newcomers to the sport, I do my research by surfing other clubs discussion boards and try to ascertain needs of the sport where we might be able to fill a niche. To that end, we are willing to host an all women's tournament with some substantial added money (depending on the number of entries). All I hear from women is their concern about the lack of competition or female competitors. It is obvious to me that we need to raise the bar for women in this sport. If there is genuine concern for this sport by enough ladies, then we are here to help you, ladies, raise the bar. If it is just a venue for negative comments then, count us out. Any ladies want to do something positive and good for ladies disc golf. The ball is now in your court. Jim Taylor, owner, The Lodge in Pawhuska, Ok. 918-724-3121.

--------------------
JT