terrycalhoun
Jul 11 2008, 11:49 AM
On July 10, we notified the College of South Idaho (http://www.csi.edu) that it had fulfilled all of the requirements of the Disc Golf Foundation (http://www.discgolffoundation.org)'s Matching Basket Program (http://www.discgolfersr.us/group/collegiatematchingbasketsprogramdiscgolffoundation ) and had been awarded nine (9) baskets from Innova Champion. (Thanks, Innova Champion!)

If anyone out there lives nearby, we'd love to see some images posted here of the course being constructed!

keithjohnson
Jul 11 2008, 10:24 PM
Is that in Jon's backyard? :D

cgkdisc
Jul 11 2008, 10:33 PM
He does have the EDGE in these matters... :eek:

keithjohnson
Jul 11 2008, 10:46 PM

;)

idahojon
Jul 11 2008, 11:16 PM

;)

I've been out there to work with them on the design and it will be an EDGE-y one.

pssst, Terry....it's "Southern" not "South"...I know what a stickler you are for accuracy, etc.

keithjohnson
Jul 11 2008, 11:26 PM

;)

I've been out there to work with them on the design and it will be an EDGE-y one.

pssst, Terry....it's "Southern" not "South"...I know what a stickler you are for accuracy, etc.

Knew it! :D

I missed harrassing you in person at Golden State this year thanks to Gentry, :p are you going to be at US Masters so I still get a chance in '08?

Congrats on getting the course in!

Keith

idahojon
Jul 11 2008, 11:55 PM

;)

I missed harrassing you in person at Golden State this year thanks to Gentry, :p are you going to be at US Masters so I still get a chance in '08?

Keith

I was at Golden State. Not scheduled to Marshal US Masters, so maybe I'll just PLAY the darned thing.

Congrats go to the college staff and students that pulled it off. I'm just shepherding them through the design process to make sure its safe, playable, and isn't commandeered by someone that would turn what is a beautiful, park-like campus into a big-arms only course that would never get used by students. Recent history in Twin Falls (the town where the college is) saw a course pulled because the designer put it behind a residential area and players were constantly climbing fences and onto houses to retrieve discs. Reversing the flow of the course would have prevented this, but the know-it-all that took the design process away from the people that originally raised the funds for that course...well...he knew it all.

keithjohnson
Jul 14 2008, 11:48 PM

;)

Keith

I was at Golden State. Not scheduled to Marshal US Masters, so maybe I'll just PLAY the darned thing.

I would have been at Golden State if I wasn't TD'ing Event #4 of 6 in the Georgia's Super Six Series, which I was doing because somebody told me back in November that Golden State would be on it's usual weekend. So i scheduled all my Events around the tournaments I always play, and then lo and behold, Golden State gets moved. :p

It will be cool to actually see you play disc golf instead of just wandering around the course. :D

rizbee
Jul 16 2008, 06:51 PM
Congrats, Jon!!! The Southern Idaho folks are lucky to have a friend to shephard them through the process of getting a very reasonably-priced course. And I agree with your intent to have a student-friendly course. Why would you do differently?

SSEiYah
Jul 20 2008, 07:36 PM
No progress yet....At least that I can see, I live about a mile away. :confused: Is there an ETA for completion? I could not find anyone that knew about it when I gave them a call on Saturday.

idahojon
Jul 22 2008, 09:28 PM
The grant was just awarded a week ago, so things are on order and moving forward.

I'll be down there next week to verify the preliminary design layout after the grounds crew marks out the sprinkler lines in the areas of sleeves, tees, and signs. Nothing like making a geyser on a campus to really tick people off.

I'd say you'll see baskets in a couple weeks, maybe three. Tees will first be temporary, natural grass, with concrete going in as funds allow.

This course will have dual tees so that it will present a challenge to experienced players, yet be fair for those that are paying for it. It will also be safe and not a blight on the neighborhood like the course that was pulled a month or so ago, due to poor design and extremely poor manners on the part of some of the local golfers. Since this course in on campus, there will more control over use and a more watchful eye on those that choose to disrespect the gift that was given to them.

Be patient and you will have a gem (Idaho pun) of a course to play on.