ninafofitre
Jul 10 2008, 11:59 PM
Mitch McClellan has been one of the greatest disc golfers in PDGA history. I consider all the McClellan great friends of mine. Bart was the oldest and never really played, Johnny Mac usually stays around Norman. Clint aka GUNNER the 2nd youngest has had the best finish at Worlds when he finished 2nd to Kenny in 86 I believe. Mitch Mac is the youngest and has had numerous top 10's in many worlds. He is always a contender in the Masters division where ever he plays.

I have always thought of Mitch Mac as one of my mentors of the game, and he learned a lot about the game from one of the best ever Steve Wisecup, which I also consider one of my all time disc golf idols. OK enough with the man hugs.

I have probably traveled with Mitch Mac on at least 50 disc golf trips. At least half of them have been turned into craziness. I'm just gonna give some of my best.

:D:D:D

ninafofitre
Jul 11 2008, 12:27 AM
#3 December 1996; Mitch Mac and I headed down to San Marcos, TX for one of Billy West's Heart of Texas events. We were invited to a poker game that I believe was at, I believe, Trevor Lawheads place...I was still rather new on the scene and didn't know any of these people. We partied and played cards until 2am ish.

We took out with Natty Dubs winner Ken Hambleton and Mitch's long time traveling buddy Brent Edwards aka "Indian" (That's Mitch's nickname for him, he was WAY TOO big of a guy for me to ever call him that :D) in his van back to where we were staying the Motel 6 after grabbing a bite to eat.

We rolled into the Motel 6 parking lot about 2:30ish cranking Mettalica full blast where we were met by motel security. He spouted off telling us to "tune it down". Well Mitch Mac wasn't shy about returning a verbal jab about how plump this ole boy was, so he had his eye on us the rest of the way. Once we got into our room, the ole boy kept pacing by our room and every time he turned around the corner past our room Mitch would poke his head out and let out a huge roar of "Tuck Fexas" (not exactly in that order of letters :D) and a ...."Boomer Sooner".

I was actually fueling some of the fire by running around the upper deck getting the ole boy to chase me around the motel. Those were my college baseball days and I was really fast so the ole boy was working up quite the sweat trying to catch me. Everytime I would get back to the room and close the door before he could get back to our hallway.

We always had the light off so he never caught us in the act cuz he was too busy chasing me around the floor above even though I was in the room every time he went by. Of course he would get around the corner and Mitch would step back out and scream something else ridiculous. It was actually pretty HILARIOUS!!!

Finally we got the call from the front desk that we had to get our stuff and get out. We of course didn't comply and they finally had to come knock on the door and get us out of there. We had the lights turned off and they were under the covers acting like they were sleeping and I answered the door in my boxers like I was sleeping the whole time. I tried to look like they just woke me up and tried to blame it on the crazy guys next door and we have been sleeping for hours. I actually tried to cuss the guys out saying I paid $35 of my hard earned dollars to stay in this place and if they can't control those crazy idiots running around screaming I was going to file a complaint with corporate.... :D:D:D

So finally after lots of arguing they made us leave by threatening the cops on us. We finally got our stuff and left....It's like 4 am now and we are wondering what are we gonna do?

We decided to go back to the house where we played poker at. We got there about 4:30 and just helped ourselves in. For some reason not that concerned that we could be shot from sneaking into someone's house in the middle of early morning. We each grabbed a spot on the couch and got about 2 hours sleep until we were woke up by the Mrs. of the house when she screamed when she noticed there were 4 strangers sprawled out in her living room.

:D

GOOD TIMES!!!

ninafofitre
Jul 11 2008, 12:59 AM
#2 Feb. 1997 We took a trip to Round Top, TX population 52 at the time :cool: We were playing as doubles partners at the Texas State Doubles Championships at Snow Farm.

Don't let your kids view this one...somewhat graphic in nature... :D

During the rounds at the tourney we noticed that in nearly all the cow patty's on the course there were boomers sprouting out of them...I have never ever seen this kind of thing before, and never could have imagined that there could be this many.

We all were staying in this sweet cabin that we near Snow Farm, there was about 12 or so people staying there and we brewed up a card game...Mitch had other plans, he was going out scooping up some of the boomers that were as plentyful as salt in the ocean :D

He and a few other guys were gone for like an hour and they came back with this huge black trash bag full of cow patty smelling boomers. I stuck my nose in there to look in there and it smelled SO BAD!!!! Mitch just kept reaching in there and grabbing hands full of them...Everytime he brought his hands out there was fresh cow poop all over his hands along with a fist full of these boomers. Not only was he just grabbing fist fulls he was cramming them into his piehole, cow crap and all into his mouth, cow crap was all over his face :D....there must have been 10 pounds of these in that bag and I think they went through half of them that night.

Well needless to say they were working on some of the others that were also partaking....A couple of the people started to think they were Supermen and started trying to jump over the campfire...casualties started to rack up, I believe there were two significant injuries from people that didn't quite make it over the fire or had tough rolls after they did make it :o:D

Well even though Mitch didn't get ANY sleep that weekend we prevailed for the win. He actually did teach me how to play great doubles. I got 4 World titles with 4 different partners to prove it thanks to his teachings.

Well that was crazy enough but it didn't stop there....Round Top is in the middle of NOWHERE Texas. We were cruising home in his ole grey ghost, his old silver pick up. It's winter time and dark by 7 and we are so far in Bum Flip Egypt that we haven't seen even a light from a house or passed a car for nearly a half hour. His truck didn't even have dash lights so it was darker than you could ever imagine.

Of course the truck started puttering and he broke the news that we had just ran out of gas :o Oh Crap! We are truly right in the middle of NOWHERE! We waited nearly an hour before we finally had a car pass us...who the hell is gonna stop where we were at? Who in their right mind would go that far out of their way to help us?It was 40 minutes either way to the closest civilization. I'm thinking we are gonna be stuck there until morning. We waited about 2 hours and 3 cars passed us. lol :D finally someone stopped and asked if we needed help. We were in a strange predicament where if we gave anyone money for gas how were we gonna know they were going to back track the 40 minutes to bring gas back. There was no way in hell I was going to stay there by myself and neither was he. So we had to trust the guy with our money...sure enough he came back and saved us.....whew!!! :D:D:D

GOOD TIMES!!!

ninafofitre
Jul 11 2008, 01:13 AM
#1 craziest Mitch Mac experience. We were at the Cincy Worlds in 98 and we decided to goto a Reds vs. Brew Crew ball game. Pretty much anytime we visited a city that had a Major League ball team we would catch a game but this one was the best ever.

Of course Mitch being Mitch he had to root for the Brewers since we were in Reds territory. We were rooting hard for the Brew Crew antagonizing Reds fans. Well after a 9 run 5th inning by the Reds :D we decided to bail out of the area that we [censored] off all the Reds fans, and took a walk around the old Riverfront Stadium

Vinnie Miller was with us and before we went we decided to take a few discs and toss them on to the field during the game. We planned it that we were going to toss the discs from different sections of the field on the 2nd pitch after the 1st out of the inning. Vinnie was down the first base side, Mitch Mac was behind home plate and I was down the 3rd base side. We were throwing out of the tunnels that led to the concessions.

Well the time came to huck the discs, and of course a police officer just happened to turn down my isle as it was time, so all I got to do was watch as 2 discs come shooting out of the tunnels onto the field. IT WAS PRETTY COOL! We stopped the game as they had to go get the discs off the field. It was really AWESOME to see those discs crushed out onto the field!!!

I ran and caught up with the guys and I was going crazy. Well I still had my disc and Mitch Mac was like "give it to me" and we went right behind home plate at the concession level. Mitch Mac said he was going to launch another one. If you have ever been to Riverfront they had a level that was covered that led to the concessions.

Mitch started to line up his next shot out into the field when one of the Natti's policeman yelled at Mitch "If you throw that on the field I'll throw you in jail" Mitch then looked at me and Vinnie and said get ready to run boys, and he unleashed the biggest crush he has EVER thrown!!! It was AWESOME!!! It must have traveled 550ft plus all the way to deep center field. Well sure enough the cop started chasing us and we high tailed it out of there without getting arrested....CRAZY!!!!

Vinnie has a picture of it, hopefully Vinnie will see this and scan it and put it up on here.

There are about 25 more crazy stories that I had traveling with Mitch Mac. Traveling with Mitch was always a crazy experience just waiting to happen.

By the way Mitch has over 100 Open wins and I think that should get anyone into the Hall of Fame....That has always been a goal of mine too...I'm at 77 Open wins and I really want to get to 100 myself to be one of the two Okies with over 100. Coda may be the 3rd at the pace he is going.

GOOD TIMES!!!!

twoputtok
Jul 11 2008, 09:28 AM
Good stories, kev, keep'em coming.

Mitch is a riot, I stayed at his house last weekend, good times. :D

OSTERTIP
Jul 11 2008, 09:47 AM
Great stories, they even got rid of my hangover!
Thanks!

ninafofitre
Jul 11 2008, 12:27 PM
This one always gets a side splitting laugh.

For the record I like Brad, he gets a lot of grief for some of his actions on the course but he is a great player and he and I had a great weekend together at the 2004 World Doubles and took the title home.

He and Mitch had an all time classic altercation at PA Worlds. While playing together they seem to be getting on each others nerves and Mitch evidentially called Brad a little (male outty body part) Of course the warnings of courtesy was flying back and fourth and a marshall was called to cool the two off. When the marshal got there Brad told him that Mitch was out of control and that he even had called him a little (dingy). The marshal then told Mitch that Brad had claimed that he had called him "a little (poker), is this true?" the marshal asked.

Mitch replied "NO! I called that little (schlong) a little (stinger) like 14 or 15 times.

You can fill in the explicate where the ( are ) :D

my_hero
Jul 11 2008, 12:30 PM
If anyone thinks there's some embellishment in these stories then they don't know Kev or Mitch! Keep them coming Kevey(as Mitch would say)!!!!

ninafofitre
Jul 11 2008, 12:48 PM
Everyone who knows Mitch knows he is kind of a little guy....I would say 5' 9 175 now, but being an OKIE, Wrestling is about as big as baseball and football. Mitch was a grappler in high school. I believe he wrestled at 112 lbs in high school which is the 2nd smallest weight division.

Everyone that knows anything about disc golf knows who Avery Jenkins is. He is about 6'2 225 of muscle, he takes his training on being professional athlete serious and is a pretty big ole boy.

Well they started talking about grappling and Mitch told Avery that he had "NO CHANCE" against him in a wrestling match. Well Avery laughed, as anyone his size would when confronted from a guy of Mitch's size.

So they squared off (all in fun) and in about 1.6 seconds Mitch had Avery tied up on his back like a pretzel. :D

Of course Avery should have know to not mess with an Okie when it comes to grappling, especially one that has 3 older, bigger brothers that wailed on him his whole life.

dcmarcus
Jul 11 2008, 02:42 PM
Looking for discs on the Ponderosa course at Port Arthur Worlds 95... we're dodging BIG spiders in the trees... Mitch lets one RIP, and says, "Hey, ya'll watch out for them Texas Barking Spiders!" Classic...

I'll bet he was impossible to room with after his first round at Augusta Worlds...

ninafofitre
Jul 11 2008, 02:47 PM
There has also been a disaster or two. My biggest disaster traveling with Mitch was one year at the VPO in Arlington.

After getting to the course on friday, Mitch let me know that we had a place to stay with some floor space. I am always down for a free place to stay but was totally unprepared, and didn't bring a pillow or sleeping bag. How bad could it be though, it's a house they have to have a blaket and a couch pillow or something.

The dude wasn't a disc golfer and I have no idea who he was but he lived within 3 miles of the course so I was down for anything.

We showed up at this dudes place and to my dismay there was at least an inch of cat and dog hair caked all over the house, and we had floor space??? :confused: Oh Snap! The place reaked of animal urine and there were pet nuggets that have dried up and been sitting around on the floor for at weeks.

Well sure enough I got a pillow from the guy with a pillow case that hadn't been washed since the Vietnam war. I put one of my shirts over the pillow to try and block out the smell, I also got a sheet to roll up in like a burrito to try to keep warm with. Dude kept his house at like 64 degrees it was freezing and all I had was this stained thin sheet to keep warm....I guess I shouldn't complain about being cold because I also had an inch of animal hair that was also providing some sort of warmth. :(

I am a hard sleeper so if I could just get to sleep I would be fine. I once slept through my best friends house burning down to the ground. He lived directly behind us and I never even noticed the 5 fire trucks and all the noise of them fighting the fire. Somehow I fell asleep and the morning came and I stumbled into the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and I was caked in animal hair. I looked like the freakin Gieco cavemen with hair all over my face. I dry heaved for nearly 10 minutes, it would have been puke but there was nothing in my belly.

The worst experience EVER in my life but I guess you get what you pay for. :D

rollinghedge
Jul 11 2008, 02:51 PM
That's some funny chit.

m_conners
Jul 11 2008, 03:02 PM
The ballgame story is the best...being a reds fan makes it even better.

RhynoBoy
Jul 11 2008, 07:29 PM
I just met Mitch for the first time on Wednesday. He came up played doubles league in Winfield, and he was my partner. One heck of a great guy!

okcacehole
Jul 11 2008, 07:48 PM
I have been playing golf for 20yrs next year and started at Will Rogers in Oklahoma City so I have always had the pleasure, awe and amazement of golfing with or around Mitch

I never played a tourney until a few years of golfing and signed up for the Will Rogers Open Friday Night Draw Doubles...well, we are drawing cards for partners and I had the ace of spades...not knowing what the heck was going on I took the poker approach and thought I just had a good card.

Soon someone tells me my parter is Mitch and when Mitch sees his new partner, he bellows to the group "Oh F-n great..another F-n Novice". That didn't make me excited to have him for a partner, but on the other hand I knew who Mitch was and what a great player he was.

After I shank a few holes trying to get my game straight we finally get to use one of my drives on #11 so I set my bag behind the disc about 20 feet like we all do. I go to put the mini down and Mitch had me driving and putting everything first. So I place my mini, pick up my disc and toss it back to my bag.

Mitch strokes our card right there on the spot ( this was not allowed at all back during that time in the PDGA rules). I could not believe what had just happened, but he started explaining all the tourney rules that I had never played before and by the end of the round we were good to go.

Mitch can be one abrasive guy, but he will also go out of his way to help a golfer out. I learned more about disc golf from asking him questions that round and watching him play than I could have known at the time, though I never have figured out his Mitch Mag Wiggle Putt :)

How about some Friz Mitch Mac stories Kev? I have a few goodies and you are in some of those :)

CAMBAGGER
Jul 11 2008, 09:38 PM
Def some funny Friz stories. I remember him and another guy covered in blood one year from falling off a golf cart onto the rock hill where he always camped. Those golf catrs are pretty dangerous huh Murph ;)
You ever heard of the saying, "you can crap and fall back in it??" lol just thinking about it. :D
Murph, you got any stories for us?

okcacehole
Jul 11 2008, 09:46 PM
They are dangerous when you push the passenger out :)

I have a few others...I am sure..

How about Mitch Mac building his own wood-framed 1 room house at the Friz with electricity, a ceiling fan, and they even almost pulled of running water inside.

ninafofitre
Jul 12 2008, 12:15 AM
The Friz ? What is this Friz you are referring to? :D

Maybe I will ask my buddy King Kong about it :D

the_kid
Jul 12 2008, 12:17 AM
During the 2002 Worlds in Houston Mitch ended up taking the 4th spot in the final 9 for the Masters.

He played decent in the final 9 but then came the infamous "Dragon Hole" with a lake on the right side and road on the left with about a 35ft fairway all the way down.

Well he stepped up and hung a hyzer too far right splashing into the water. Mitch walks up 30ft to where his disc went OB and told everyone he was going to clear the lake which was only about 575ft. He looks at it for a second and when he finally got going for a rip something happened and he griplocked it about 60 degrees off line and flew over the island out of sight until we heard a few cheers and people telling him he barely made it across. He ended up having to walk all the way around the lake before saving his 5. It had to be one of the worst good shots I have ever seen and he was the fan favorite for sure.

okcacehole
Jul 12 2008, 01:27 AM
King Kong is much better than your birthday suit :)

How about the stabbing of the foot last year..wasn't Mitch but it was in the family :)

bbotte
Jul 14 2008, 01:31 AM
When Wisecup or Mitch Mac tell the story of Mitch Mac getting lost in Dayton during the worlds and gets into a fist fight with a guy at a gas station I smile and laugh every time I hear it, I can't remember the details to post here, but that one is really good. Maybe someone can post that one, that knows it.

I would also like to say Mitch Mac is one of the best Story TELLERS I have ever heard, I could listen to him for hours.

bbotte
Jul 14 2008, 01:32 AM
The Friz ?

Maybe I will ask my buddy King Kong about it :D

:D :D :D :D

ninafofitre
Jul 14 2008, 02:04 AM
Mitch is "Like's to fight guy" He and Johnny Mac brawled with a drunk guy at a gas station here in Tulsa a few years back. Johnny is the biggest of the Mac Bros. and I guarantee he has a real real heavy knuckle sandwich...not the type you want to run into with your face. :D

crusher
Jul 14 2008, 10:17 AM
The whole Mac clan is fun to hang out with, I do miss seeing them at events since I live so far away now.

Too many classic stories to tell about the whole family!

junky
Jul 14 2008, 08:07 PM
Played Mitch's course yesterday and he hung out with us for four holes. We threw our discs and he used a metal trash can lid. He could bomb that big ole thing, rollers or backhand. There was a couple of shots off the tee that I didn't think, that lid, would even make it through the crazy "wicket" mando's that are out there. He wasn't too shabby with the putt either. Of course I mentioned the story of him at the baseball game. It's even more funny to hear him tell it.

okcacehole
Jul 14 2008, 08:16 PM
Anyone have some good shots? I found a laid-back and relaxed MM..that's an odd one :)

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/okcacehole/okopenselect-29.jpg

dgdave
Jul 14 2008, 09:16 PM
Those shorts look almost as short as Clint's

okcacehole
Jul 14 2008, 09:35 PM
his would be jean cut-offs :)

the camera guy
Jul 14 2008, 11:09 PM
Anyone have some good shots? I found a laid-back and relaxed MM..that's an odd one :)

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/okcacehole/okopenselect-29.jpg

that was from the 05 oklahoma open

the camera guy
Jul 14 2008, 11:18 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/garyE500/chandler%2008/chandlerselect-42.jpg

from chandlerstock this year, either the ace pot throw off or an extra giveaway
about 150 ft, he he canned it with his aero

the camera guy
Jul 14 2008, 11:51 PM
"if you didn't play with innova, you probably didn't win!" mitchmac after winning
pro master at the ok open 05
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/garyE500/new%20folder/oklaopen05-mm.jpg

air mitch
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k266/garyE500/new%20folder/stillwater-mm.jpg

DeanTannock
Jul 15 2008, 02:58 PM
One crazy Okie!!!! Good times over the last 20'ish years playing with Mitch. I could write a small book myself.

He does belong in the HOF!!!

dgdave
Jul 16 2008, 12:37 AM
his would be jean cut-offs :)

With the pockets hangin out the bottom :D

okcacehole
Jul 16 2008, 01:07 AM
so true - see Mr Jims 2005

and I fully agree on the HOF post - I would love to see the actual number of wins he has, but if he isn't already at 150+ he must be close

any idea Kev?

Pizza God
Jul 16 2008, 03:25 AM
He has won the Carrollton Open in 1998 as an Open player (1997 was won by Gunner)

Then for the last 4 years he has won the Masters Division.

He knows I don't ad much money to the Masters, he knows the money is in the Open, but he tells me every year he just does not like to play for the money, he will have more fun playing Masters. (BTW, 2 of those times he would have placed 1st or 2nd in Open)

I have known MitchMac for 20 years now, I credit several Okie guys for teaching me back in the day. David Welty for teaching me to always throw for the biggest hole, Gunner for teaching me what you can do with a Roc and how to throw a grenade, and MitchMac for teaching me how to enjoy my rounds to have a great game.

Several years ago, the Winnie Crew showed up in Carrollton and were going to play my tournament. When I asked them why they chose the Carrollton Open, they stated that MitchMac told them it was one of the best tournaments in the south. Now that was a complement.

johnrock
Jul 16 2008, 09:00 PM
and I fully agree on the HOF post - I would love to see the actual number of wins he has, but if he isn't already at 150+ he must be close

I got to partner with Mitch for Okie Doubles one year (1993 or 1994?) and he told me that if we won it would be his 50th win. Unfortunately we could only manage a second place finish. But that sure was a fun time!

ninafofitre
Jul 16 2008, 09:44 PM
I know he has over 100 Open wins, when I first turned pro in 95 he had a string of 9 wins in a row, he was fresh off of a 3rd and an 8th place finish at Worlds. He started playing masters in 2002 and according to the stats that the PDGA has posted he has 48 Masters wins as of May 24th.

There were also a lot of events in Oklahoma City that were not sanctioned....Okie Dubs has only been sanctioned once and I am sure he has won it several times that I didn't. I've won 5 Okie Doubles and he won about every year in Open that I didn't until he moved to Masters.

I know there are a lot of issues going on membership and late magazines but I hope someday they could somehow post players results from the 90's...I know they have the capabilities because at one of the worlds I attended they had a figure on Climo's winnings.

Maybe if a few people would inquire about it to the PDGA maybe it could happen.

cgkdisc
Jul 16 2008, 11:39 PM
Hoeniger has been the one doing those stats for specific top players by digging thru old magazines and paper records. Not sure if he's continuing with more players.

ninafofitre
Jul 17 2008, 12:51 AM
Hoeniger has been the one doing those stats for specific top players by digging thru old magazines and paper records. Not sure if he's continuing with more players.

TD's still had to pay their dues...was results not part of that also?

prairie_dawg
Jul 17 2008, 12:59 AM
[/QUOTE]

TD's still had to pay their dues...was results not part of that also?

[/QUOTE]

That'd be a lot a paper laying around still

cgkdisc
Jul 17 2008, 09:49 AM
I think very few results are on computer in an easily searchable format prior to 2001. Any results in computer files older than 2001 are likely in Pagemaker layouts for DGWN, Disc Golf Journal and Disc Golfer. Most of those usually just include those who cash. Not sure what the earlier TD reports looked like before we developed the Excel version around 2000. Some paper report must have been sent in so players would get points but not sure if the form was standardized.

DeanTannock
Jul 17 2008, 11:56 AM
It is difficult to track wins back then. I have tried to track mine and even the Disc Golf World News and before that the Columbia Disc Golf News did not cover all the events.

ninafofitre
Jul 17 2008, 12:13 PM
It is difficult to track wins back then. I have tried to track mine and even the Disc Golf World News and before that the Columbia Disc Golf News did not cover all the events.

I'm so glad I kept track of mine, and the only reason why was becasue Tulsa offered a personal web page (http://tulsadiscsports.org/memkmccoy/index.html) that was available to all of it's club members. I updated it until 2004. Of course some of them were not sanctioned events and I recall some of the TD's didn't turn in their reports. :(

I wonder if the PDGA would be interested in compensating a little chunck of change to attempt to update the results prior of 2001? Thanks to being a stay at home Daddy, and working from home, I actually have time to do something like that if they were interested in compensating for the job.

cgkdisc
Jul 17 2008, 12:24 PM
I wonder if the PDGA would be interested in compensating a little chunck of change to attempt to update the results prior of 2001? Thanks to being a stay at home Daddy, and working from home, I actually have time to do something like that if they were interested in compensating for the job.

I think you would have to show how this information might be used to generate revenue at least equal to the compensation.

my_hero
Jul 17 2008, 12:39 PM
I had an up and coming Open player tell me at last night's mini that he credits his straddle putt to me. I said "Wow, thanks, but boy do i have a story for you." So here it is for the second day in a row. If i have to tell it one more time then things really do come in 3's.

I credit Mitch Mac for my straddle putting style. He and i were on the same card for the very 1st Z-Boaz open. The first 5 holes we played i just couldn't find the short grass around the baskets. I was in the rough, 30 feet away, taking an uncomfortable straddle stance on all 5 holes. Strangely, i made all 5 putts whether it was for par or birdie. The next 3 holes is where i finally found my drive. Ah, short grass, no trees, no underbrush, took the traditional right foot forward stance and......AIRBALL.....on all 3 holes.

Mitch comes over to me after watching the 3rd airball and says "My_Suzuki_O", that's what he calls me, "You're a straddle putter!"

I said "Oh yea, how do you figure?"

Mitch: "[censored] that's easy to answer. You made those first 5 putts from a straddle stance like you weren't going to miss a putt all day long. Then your next 3 putts were from a traditional stance and you sucked, you didn't even touch a piece of the target."

Me: "Mitch, a straddle stance feels really awkward. Besides, i've been putting right foot forward for 7-8 years."

Mitch: "Well you've been putting all wrong. You're a straddle putter! You don't have to believe me, but if you want to make more putts you need to take a straddle stance and throw them in like you did over yonder."

So, i finished the tournament struggling with my traditional stance putting style; all while thinking about what Mitch had said during that initial round.

I don't practice nor do i play casual rounds, so the next time i played in a mini i implemented the straddle stance and i haven't looked back since. It's so much easier for me to nail the line while straddleing. I don't always nail the height, but left and right is a no brainer when i'm square to the target. I'm by all means not the best putter in the world/region/state/city, but i was 10x worse before Mitch recognized what stance i should be putting from.

frisbeeguy
Jul 20 2008, 03:35 AM
That was an awesome read...thanks Kevin for starting it.
MM is a HOF player for sure.
Some of us don't need old magazines or foggy memories to count our wins from the old days...and not because they were written down. (it's easy to remember the number zero!)

prairie_dawg
Jul 20 2008, 11:48 PM
Well needless to say they were working on some of the others that were also partaking....A couple of the people started to think they were Supermen and started trying to jump over the campfire...casualties started to rack up, I believe there were two significant injuries from people that didn't quite make it over the fire or had tough rolls after they did make it :o:D

Well even though Mitch didn't get ANY sleep that weekend we prevailed for the win. He actually did teach me how to play great doubles. I got 4 World titles with 4 different partners to prove it thanks to his teachings. :D

Was that why Joel's jump and roll over the fire cost him and his partner a chance at winning. They were in 1st place that night weren't they

Ah the memories :cool:

ninafofitre
Jul 20 2008, 11:55 PM
I wasn't gonna name names ;) :D

arlskipshot1
Jul 21 2008, 01:32 AM
Great stories, Kev. We love seeing you, Mitch, and Brent show up for the VPO. The very first event ever held at Veterans Park, Arl. was an informal unsanctioned tourny that drew people from the region to see this new course that everyone was talking about. It was at the sign ups that I see this guy walk up with this huge smile. It was his sports attire that really told you he was unique though. He was wearing an old straw hat that was coming unweaved and was real beat up and wrinkled. His white tee shirt was just visible under his cut off blue jean overalls, and he had on red high top tennis shoes. I tell you it was truly a sight you would always remember. He stayed with me and Mickey S. at the '96 Worlds in South Bend for a few days and I got to hear alot of those stories. He's one of the best friends you can have.
HOL vote---- in!!!

2Timer
Jul 21 2008, 10:14 AM
I played in my first worlds in 97' and was really sucking it up the whole week. I was in the silver pool playing in a round with Mitch. He was giving me advice the hole round. I remember I made about a 40 footer for birdie, I took off running to grab my putter and Mitch grabs me from behind and stops me, he says "Don't run up to your putter, take your time and strut so everyone knows you made it". I'll never forget that!

ninafofitre
Jul 21 2008, 10:33 AM
That year while playing in the Silver Pool he came up with a new name or it.

"You were either in the Gold Pool or the Sulphur Pool cuz ya stink."

I will never forget that year we stayed in the Queen City's finest crack infested motel that year, the Knights Inn.....YIKES!!!!

CAMBAGGER
Jul 21 2008, 12:31 PM
I played in my first worlds in 97' and was really sucking it up the whole week. I was in the silver pool playing in a round with Mitch. He was giving me advice the hole round. I remember I made about a 40 footer for birdie, I took off running to grab my putter and Mitch grabs me from behind and stops me, he says "Don't run up to your putter, take your time and strut so everyone knows you made it". I'll never forget that!

He did the same thing with me at the Riverside Glide one year. -One of Kev's all time favorite courses. ;)

prairie_dawg
Jul 21 2008, 12:48 PM
I wasn't gonna name names ;) :D

No last names :D

ninafofitre
Jul 21 2008, 01:22 PM
He did the same thing with me at the Riverside Glide one year. -One of Kev's all time favorite courses. ;)

Riverside Disc Golf Course

Rest in Peace

1981 - 2008

27 years of headaches, bruises, tainted eye balls, and lost ear lobes is just a memory.....ahhhh.

Riverside should be my fondest memory of my first PDGA Professional win one year after wining the same tourney just the year before in Novice.

But NOOOOOO!

I'll be forever haunted by the sight of the poor chaps ear hanging off in a hand full of blood after I drilled him in the head. Hole 3's tee pad there were group of casuals there waiting. I ripped my drive on 2 and it was headed for the tee pad of 3 long before that tree was substantial enough to protect anyone. I screamed FORE!!!! and instead of ducking the poor sap turned to look at us.

As we are walking towards the group I could tell the ole bloat was acting a little uncomfortable, with his hand pressed up against his head. Then we get to them and I'm apologizing profusely and then he drops his hand with like a gallon of blood in it and he ear looked like a vampire bat had been chewing on it for 6 days, there was a chunk that was hanging down like an inch...EWE!!! f'n gross!!!!

If that wasn't bad enough I will also be forever haunted from when that Stu Perry and myself are waiting to putt on original #17 (became #18) W are watching this blonde haired "hottie" stroll over the bridge with a SHORT SHORT white skirt, with black panties showing through, tight yellow sweater top and these black knee high 4 inch heeled boots walking through the park.

Stu and I are right on the path and Stu looks at me and says "look at this Kevo......Shazzzam hot mamma!" I checked her out and gave her a raised brow and a smile ;)

Then I started to notice something is wrong with this picture....She gets closer.....I think "It's August why is she wearing a sweater?" ....she gets a little closer...I think "Why would someone be walking the park in those kind of high heels?.....IT gets within 12 feet....I think "I once learned somewhere that only guys have adams apples" .......HE is like 4 feet from Stu and I and says in this hideous male voice "Hhhhhahhh-i thuuurrrrrre BOYZZZZ" EWE F'n GROSS!!!! I had to wash my eyeballs out with soap for 6 weeks after that.

That is why I am glad that THE RIVER DRIED UP!!!! :D

jmc2442
Jul 21 2008, 01:28 PM
HAHAHA. good from far, FAR from good. :eek:

ninafofitre
Jul 21 2008, 01:35 PM
How could I forget when Mitch Mac walked in the bathroom of Riverside right before the Glide and Ted from Ted's Tree Service was giving the wood to one of the Riverside bathroom tonsil ticklers.

Having Mitch describe what he had seen with his own eyes, was classic.....he said he nearly went blind from it.....

I wish I could have thrown some dirt on that courses at it's funeral. :D:D:D

DeanTannock
Jul 21 2008, 02:17 PM
Last years Pro Worlds Mitch was in my group during the round on the Gold course. I threw my drive on hole 18 on the right side just barely in the schule. I had one step up to my lie. I follow through on my throw,fall forward and a nickle size stick impales my left leg just above the knee. I get up and look at it and blood is trickling out at first,but I notice the gash is about an inch and a half long. I curse #[email protected]%! My wife is there and asks what is it,I tell her nothing and ask Tom Embree to grab a white towel out of my bag to tie around my leg. My wife asks again if i'm ok,I say yah. Mitch comes over and looks at it and hollers "**** Deano,I can stick my **** thumb in that,you need to go get help!" My wife freaks,I start to laugh at what Mitch says. I finish the last two holes and the wife drives me to the hosipital to get stitches and a drainage tube put in. Had to drop out of the worlds,but still get a chuckle about what Mitch said.

Hey Kev,next time you see Mitch ask him about the deer,a quarter and the salt lick,OK? You'll roll......

Deano...

gotcha
Jul 21 2008, 03:06 PM
"You were either in the Gold Pool or the Sulphur Pool cuz ya stink."

Charlotte Pro Worlds 1997......

Tournament staff had reseeded field and I was on the first card of the Silver pool.....with Mitch Mac. I can still hear him saying "We're not in the silver pool; we're in the sulphur pool.....'cause we stink!"

Anyway, if you've known or played with that crazy Okie long enough, you've probably heard him jokingly comment about our sport's targets by saying "it should just be a hole in the ground!" Well, the sulphur pool was playing Hornets Nest that morning and Mitch Mac had actually shared his "hole in the ground" opinion following a spit putt. When we got to hole 15 (http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/hole15.jpg), Mitch had the best drive out of the four of us and we all assumed he parked the pin. Once everyone had thrown thrown their approach shots we began looking for Mitch's disc as it wasn't parked like we had thought it would be. I was the one who happened to discover his disc....it was laying inside a small hole in the ground about 15'-20' behind the basket. In fact, the hole was not much larger than the diameter of a disc. I called out that I found it and when Mitch comes walking onto the green, he looked confused because he couldn't see his disc. I pointed down at the hole directly in front of my feet and when he got close enough to see his disc, Mitch's face lit up like a kid on Christmas morning and he immediately chimed in with "that, my friends, is a hole in one!" :D

my_hero
Jul 21 2008, 03:27 PM
I'll be forever haunted by the sight of the poor chaps ear hanging off in a hand full of blood after I drilled him in the head. Hole 3's tee pad there were group of casuals there waiting. I ripped my drive on 2 and it was headed for the tee pad of 3 long before that tree was substantial enough to protect anyone. I screamed FORE!!!! and instead of ducking the poor sap turned to look at us.

As we are walking towards the group I could tell the ole bloat was acting a little uncomfortable, with his hand pressed up against his head. Then we get to them and I'm apologizing profusely and then he drops his hand with like a gallon of blood in it and he ear looked like a vampire bat had been chewing on it for 6 days, there was a chunk that was hanging down like an inch...EWE!!! f'n gross!!!!

That's the first course that i played with baskets. I lived at 44th and Riverside while attending college in 1992-1994. I too have my own bloody Riverside story.

Myself and 2 others were playing our 3rd round EVER on this basketed course. I step up to a hole on the front 9 that played close to the river, and the sidewalk that parallels the river. A cute couple could be seen in the distance on their tandem bicycle headed right towards us. The first 2 guys get their drives off incident free. When it was my turn, it appeared that the 2 people on the bicycle were out of my range, which back then was probably only 200 feet, so i threw. Wouldn't you know that i just launched the best drive to date! The san marino roc turns over, which we had only seen a few time before, and starts heading right towards this couple on the double bike. We start yelling "FORE!", but all that did was turn both of their heads towards the oncoming disc....just in time for the Roc slapping WHAM! to the nose of the driver.

It hits him so squarely on the nose, it couldn't have been more of a direct hit. He, in slow motion, lets go of the handle bars and lays backwards over her handle bars. Now nobody is driving this bicycle! The inevitable happens, they both go down in a blaze of glory.

We run as fast as we can towards the mangled mess, screaming "is everyone okay?" They both slowly get up and find their bearings. The guys nose is wasted. He had the nastiest 1/4 gash right on the bridge of his nose, you could even see a little cartilage. We offered to take them to the hospital but they declined. I know his nose was broken, as i've broken mine twice. Kind of ruined our round of golf, but we played on anyways.

So Kev, has Riverside been pulled? If so, for how long, forever?

twoputtok
Jul 21 2008, 04:01 PM
It has only been pulled while they install a dual trail system through that part of the river trails and they are putting in new restrooms and facilities also.

gotcha
Jul 21 2008, 07:55 PM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/MickeyScottHole11VeteransPark052.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/?action=view&current=MickeyScottHole11VeteransPark052.jpg)

During the 1992 Veterans Park Open (Arlington, TX) I captured this shot of Mitch Mac leisurely waiting for Mickey Scott's putt on original hole 11.

my_hero
Jul 21 2008, 11:33 PM
That's a great pic! Sadly every tree in that photo is gone. :(

okcacehole
Jul 21 2008, 11:37 PM
where is that on the course presently John? Look like the apts from #1 but maybe further North??

my_hero
Jul 22 2008, 12:01 AM
Correct Adam, #1. The drive into the park is just out of view. The big tree was struck by lightning and the little trees either died off or were removed by the city.

okcacehole
Jul 22 2008, 12:09 AM
Sure they weren't attacked by Gazelles, Stingrays and Cheetahs? :)

If you were shooting the Discraft then also..then it was just getting chopped by Cyclones 2's and Xs..and I still carry a Clone to this day :)

gotcha
Jul 22 2008, 07:00 AM
If you were shooting the Discraft then also..then it was just getting chopped by Cyclones 2's and Xs..

Nope....in 1992 it was more likely to be Eclipse, Shadows and Vortex! :D

Pizza God
Jul 22 2008, 11:48 AM
and Tracers

CAMBAGGER
Jul 22 2008, 12:05 PM
I've seen tracers at the Friz :D

bredemeyer
Jan 02 2009, 04:40 PM
Haha... great thread. I have some good Mac stories as well. :D