DPDiscer
Jul 10 2008, 12:14 AM
I am currently doing a Greater Houston Championship Series for 2008. Are there any TDs out there that have done a Series competition? If so, how did you handle players moving up a division due to their rating going up?
DPDiscer

cgkdisc
Jul 10 2008, 12:29 AM
In Minnesota, players use their best 4, 5 or 6 (depending on how many total events that year) points finishes for series standings. The "best" number is always less than 50%, so players can cash in two divisions during the year when they move up halfway thru and have at least the minimum number of best events in two divisions.

bruce_brakel
Jul 10 2008, 12:34 AM
For the Illinois Open Series, April through October, if your rating moves you up, you move up. To do otherwise just encourages a bagging mentality.

I have no problem with the idea that Intermediate for the Series is probably going to be won by a guy who comes in third or fourth all the time because he has a stable rating and cannot beat the Advanced players who are just moving through that division, playing 970 golf while they wait for their rating to catch up with them.

Series Overalls will be won by guys with stable ratings who show up all the time. You want to encourage those guys to play. Add a series bagging rule and you're turning off more players than you're accomodating.

topdog
Jul 23 2008, 03:15 AM
What is the PDGA rule if a player rating goes over 935 in a series. Does he get to finish the series as an int player or does he have to move up right then?

Mark_Stephens
Jul 23 2008, 07:49 AM
Your rating needs to be within 20 points of the cut-off.

discette
Jul 23 2008, 08:31 AM
What is the PDGA rule if a player rating goes over 935 in a series. Does he get to finish the series as an int player or does he have to move up right then?

A player in a series may remain in a lower division provided the Series (or event TD) applied for and received a written exemption prior to the event from the PDGA Tour Manager.

cgkdisc
Jul 23 2008, 08:44 AM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your rating needs to be within 20 points of the cut-off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above statement may be a guideline for some Series events, but is not a PDGA requirement.

From section 2.2 of 2008 Competition Manual:
B. Players may be allowed to enter a ratings based division they would otherwise be ineligible to participate in as part of a points Series provided that
(1) The Series Director has contacted the PDGA prior and received approval from the PDGA Tour Manager.
(2) The Series allows players to stay in the division for the entire Series.
(3) The player has not competed in a higher division at any time during the Series.
<font color="red"> (4) The player�s rating does not exceed 20 points above the rating ceiling for the division they wish to compete in.</font>

discette
Jul 23 2008, 09:20 AM
Thank you for the clarification Chuck.

cgkdisc
Jul 23 2008, 09:25 AM
I wasn't sure myself until checking.

Mark_Stephens
Jul 23 2008, 10:19 AM
I just went through that exact senerio so, I knew the numbers... The Double Secret Rules Book (aka Competition Manual) gets ya every time. :)

Now, I do have a question about that. Why was that created? Was it easier as an ornagization to make a new document than amend another? One book to rule them all and in discin' bind them would work a lot better in the end I think.

cgkdisc
Jul 23 2008, 10:29 AM
The core rules of the game 800-803 and the Competition manual need to be separate documents for a few reasons. First, they have separate update timing with the Competition Manual needing to be updated as often as every year while our sport evolves. Entry fee caps will likely change annually and the tables that include what birth year a player has to be born before or after has to be changed annually in the divisions table.

Second, players across the globe rely on the PDGA to provide and revise the core rules of the game. However, they may have different ideas than the PDGA on dress code and division criteria for age breaks, for example. So their competition docs are different from the PDGA if they have their own series. But they still use the core rules of the game.

Mark_Stephens
Jul 23 2008, 10:41 AM
It just seems like there are "rules" in the Competition Manual that should be in the Rules Book. Things such as Section 3 where is says that you CAN use alcohol at a PDGA event, it just details when or such as the section on caddies.

cgkdisc
Jul 23 2008, 10:44 AM
It just seems like there are "rules" in the Competition Manual that should be in the Rules Book.

That's in the process of being sorted out so that rules vs competition policies and procedures are in separate docs.

Mark_Stephens
Jul 23 2008, 10:46 AM
Sounds good and that is great to hear.

cgkdisc
Jul 23 2008, 10:58 AM
For example, many international PDGA sanctioned events already do not follow the PDGA Competition Manual which is more properly identified as the PDGA North America Competition Manual. Typically, a lower percentage of pros get paid and it's not uncommon for overall payout percentage to be well under 100%. But they do follow the same core rules of the game. Making this separation more clear will allow our affiliate countries to codify and follow their own competition practices and laws without feeling like they need exceptions from the PDGA manual.

Mark_Stephens
Jul 23 2008, 11:19 AM
TDs/Clubs making profits off tournaments????

THE HORROR! ;)

Who would do that? Oh I forgot, just about every other sport that holds tournaments...