Sheena23
Jul 09 2008, 10:26 PM
I'm absolutely new to postings and the disc golf game. I've been practicing and would like to enter a tournament. How do you know when to enter? I don't want to make a fool of myself (not saying I'm bad), but although I've read the rules, I'm sure I don't know everything. Additionally, is it rude to ask the person you are competing against, if it's okay to do something..eg clean your disc after you throw?

par54whereareyo
Jul 09 2008, 10:45 PM
When to enter? ASAP! There are divisions for everyone, and everyone played their first at sometime. It is fine to ask questions, 99% of all tournament golfers are very friendly and will be glad to answer your questions or help you in anyway possible.

cgkdisc
Jul 09 2008, 10:47 PM
If you can find a league in your region, playing a few nights at league might help you get more comfortable.

Sheena23
Jul 09 2008, 10:54 PM
Great! Thank you.....I think I'm going to try one next month. Is it unusual for a girl to throw better with a forehand (like a baseball sidearm) hope thats what forehand is...... I don't think my wrist is strong enough to get a whip with a backhand.

cgkdisc
Jul 09 2008, 10:59 PM
It's not uncommon to throw better that way when learning. Beginners also find they can learn to throw rollers reasonably well with that forehand motion on courses with nicely mowed grass. You'll still want to work on the backhand which you will likely be able to control more accurately for throws closer to the basket.

Sheena23
Jul 09 2008, 11:07 PM
I'm definately working on it. My elbow is already sore though... I've been throwing every day, but guess I should back off a little. Just trying to build strength through repetition. Might be hurting myself instead.

mannyd_928
Jul 09 2008, 11:28 PM
Hey Stephanie, you just missed a great tournament in Az. called the Top of the Pines in Pinetop Az. Check Disqman.com for a full list if tourneys. We've got a great group of female golfers here in Az. I'm sure you will fit in nicely, and they will be very accomodating. Hope to meet you soon!

Drew32
Jul 09 2008, 11:29 PM
OMG! A GURL!!! :eek: :D

Anyway...to answer your question ...no question is too dumb, just make sure you are in the right forum when you post. Lurk around abit if you have to.

Also, obviously your a PDGA member now so you can play sanctioned tournaments now. Have fun!! Playing tournaments introduces you to all kinds of <u>new</u> people. Playing Sanctioned tournaments introduces you to ALOT of new people. Of course if you want to be a homebody and not meet new people then tournaments arn't for you.

As for throwing side arm is great to learn but you can only get better by learning other styles of playing. Check out the "Throwing Techniques" section of the boards for more details.

nanook
Jul 10 2008, 01:59 AM
...although I've read the rules, I'm sure I don't know everything. Additionally, is it rude to ask the person you are competing against, if it's okay to do something..eg clean your disc after you throw?

Sheena23,

When I first started playing tournaments, I would tell the group pretty much the same thing you said above before we started the round. If you are honest and up-front about wanting to learn, I would bet a large percentage of players will be more than willing to share/help, even though they are your competition. In my experience, DGers are a pretty friendly, inclusive bunch of people.

nanook

bravo
Jul 10 2008, 02:21 PM
i've never met a disc golfer who was better than me that wasn,t willing to share a skill or a reccomendation at a tourny or at a recreational round.
have fun and ask away , iexpect your expieriance will mimic most of our expiences

Sheena23
Jul 10 2008, 07:42 PM
I almost drove to Pintop for that tournament, but REALLY I've only been throwing about a week so I felt I'd REALLY feel silly asking so many questions. Possibly distracting the person I would compete against. So....I stayed home and just went to a local course and practiced some more.

Sheena23
Jul 10 2008, 07:51 PM
Wow.....I hope my tournament experience is as great as the responses I've received in this post. Thank you all for being so nice, helpful and encouraging.

pterodactyl
Jul 10 2008, 09:18 PM
Sheena is...a punk rocker!!!!...and a disc golfer! :D

jfsheffield
Jul 10 2008, 10:03 PM
I almost drove to Pintop for that tournament, but REALLY I've only been throwing about a week so I felt I'd REALLY feel silly asking so many questions. Possibly distracting the person I would compete against. So....I stayed home and just went to a local course and practiced some more.

Try playing a monthly first with the local club, they are more relaxed and you can get a feel for the rules without things being punitive.

krazybronco
Jul 16 2008, 11:33 PM
another thing make sure the tourny you play in at least has a rec division and a pretty easy course

i made the mistake of playing in a tourny with the lowest division was intermediate and also is one of the longest courses i have ever played was not a fun first expericance but i lived and played in an easier course and had a blast

frolfdisc
Jul 17 2008, 07:07 PM
Another thing that I highly recommend (and is also how I got started) is to see if your local club has any sort of random doubles events. They are usually set up with an "A" and "B" pool, with the "A" pool being the better, more experienced players. The doubles teams are usually set up by randomly pairing an "A" and "B" player together.

My experience was that this arrangement was almost the perfect learning environment.

Never forget the #1 rule:

HAVE FUN!

- JPB

Alacrity
Jul 18 2008, 10:42 AM
Sheena,

Welcome to the game of disc golf! You will find that some states have a very strong women's league and some are working on it. I think that if you start in the Women's Novice and rec. divisions you will find lots of women in a similar situation as yours. You also will find that most TD's go out of their way to make it a rewarding experiance for women players. We want more women to play. Just so you know, I have been playing for over 29 years and will still ask other players questions about rules or how did you make that throw, or what kind of disc did you use. Most players will be happy to help.

I will really help if you can attend the local mini's or join league play. Just a suggestion, do not play for money unless the group in your area either offers a handicapping or in doubles, teams talented players with less talented. I have seen many new players quit playing, because they got tired of paying other players to let them play with them.

Drag a few of your friends into the game with you. Then you can learn together. I love disc golf, but almost never play alone. It is a great social game.

jarmiller
Jul 22 2008, 10:13 AM
If you play in a tourney play either novice or rec. Buy a rule book read it and keep it on you. If your not sure about what's legal and what's not just ask. If you play in a tourney with someone cool they'll usually let the little stuff slide and inform you of the rule. Whenever I play with a new tourney player I try to inform them of the rules instead of being a prick and slamming them with strokes or warnings. The biggest one is not to throw a second disc or your mini. Always hole out, don't pick up you disc and hit the chains. As long as your cool about learning the rules they'll be cool about teaching them. Good luck!