Jeff_LaG
Jun 26 2008, 11:15 AM
From: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/southwest/s_574532.html

<font size=4>Disabled players' spirits soar on adapted Frisbee course</font>

By Daveen Rae Kurutz
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 26, 2008

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2008-06-25/0626disc-a.jpg

Sarah Kleifgen feels pretty comfortable on a golf course.

But there are no irons or woods in sight when Kleifgen, 16, of Mt. Lebanon takes to the course. She plays disc golf, which uses flying discs instead of golf clubs.

"I really like it, and I think I'm doing pretty decent for it being my second time," Kleifgen said. "It's something I'm better at than golf, and I can turn my attention toward throwing the Frisbee rather than everything else. It makes me feel like a pretty good golfer."

Kleifgen was one of about 50 campers to take to adapted greens Monday for a new program at the Woodlands, a Bradford Woods nonprofit that offers enrichment activities for children and adults with disabilities and chronic illnesses. Dedicated to former camper Elora Geier, the program will be a weekly addition to the nonprofit's teen camp.

The Woodlands has had an adapted golf course for several years, said Patrick Monaghan, director of operations, making the addition of disc golf an easy choice. The course features three ramped holes and specialized equipment to allow people with disabilities to play.

The additional equipment was paid for with a grant secured by the Woodlands and Elora's Hope, a nonprofit founded by Dan and Leslie Geier in honor of their daughter, who died from leukemia two years ago at 14.

"It brings tears to my eyes," said Leslie Geier, 49, of McCandless, who was on hand for this week's kickoff. "(Elora) always looked at the golf course and said she never could have played golf, but she could have played this."

That's the beauty of disc golf, said Gary Dropcho, treasurer of the Disc Golf Association and former ranking national player. Dropcho was on hand to teach the teens, several of whom use wheelchairs, how to play the game. Dropcho said the Woodlands' course, which features heavy-duty equipment that can be stored away from the elements, is the only completely accessible course the association knows of.

"It's a great game for all ages and abilities of people," said "You don't have to be a superstar athlete to do it. They're taking right to it, throwing (the discs) right down the middle."

That's what Tony Mazzarini was trying to do throughout his three holes on the par three course. Mazzarini, who like Kleifgen has spina bifida, but does not use a wheelchair, was starting to get the hang of it by the end.

He never really knew Elora Geier but was in awe of the strength her parents showed in organizing and dedicating the program to their daughter.

"It's a pretty amazing thing to do," said Mazzarini, 17, of Bethel Park. "I'm sure she's loving that. And so are we."

my_hero
Jun 26 2008, 02:03 PM
That is a great article. Thanks.
http://djamdance.googlepages.com/Beaker_muppet_fire.jpg/Beaker_muppet_fire-custom;size:310,238.jpg

sandalbagger
Jun 26 2008, 10:39 PM
is anyone suprised J Gary was there to help out? this man does it all.

kUrTp
Jun 26 2008, 10:45 PM
It's because he is The Man! :cool: