m_conners
Jun 24 2008, 04:17 PM

abee1010
Jun 24 2008, 04:26 PM
Other - Was not prepared for the terrible weather and ran out of clothes to wear...

xterramatt
Jun 24 2008, 04:31 PM
Not playing well, not having fun, didn't want my negativity to infect those around me. I decided the happiness of others was more important than finishing. So I left.

I will never complain about a person not having any fun leaving a tournament. It's a sport, yeah, but if you aren't having fun, it's probably affecting others.

johnbiscoe
Jun 24 2008, 04:32 PM
what matt said...
plus there's being td and realizing we were about to get thrown out of the park and needing to get ready for awards really fast.

dgdave
Jun 24 2008, 04:33 PM
I DNF'd 2 times. I got injured once and my dubs partner got injured the other time

m_conners
Jun 24 2008, 04:48 PM
Other - Was not prepared for the terrible weather and ran out of clothes to wear...

Weather was so obvious how did I miss that one. I've quit bcuz of weather -AND- being hurt and drunk and dehydrated all at once.

tokyo
Jun 24 2008, 04:49 PM
Other- Got real sick in the morning and tried playing but couldnt do it and ended up going to the doctor.

MTL21676
Jun 24 2008, 05:09 PM
Heat exhaustion

MTL21676
Jun 24 2008, 05:11 PM
I feel there should be a difference between a withdraw (injury, illness, emergency, etc) than someone just quitting.

I know I am not happy I have a 999 on my record now when I was sick. I don't want to be labeled a quitter. I have never and will never quit a tournament b/c of poor play.

my_hero
Jun 24 2008, 05:15 PM
Have you ever quit a tournament? <font color="red"> Yes, 1 time! </font>

If yes, what was the reasoning. <font color="red"> Not sure what triggered it but i had a severe anxiety attack with 3 holes to go in the first round. I went ahead and finished thanks to Ron Sillamen who carried my bag for the remainder of the round. Later i found out that i was in the lead by 3 strokes but i went home at lunch anyways to.............well, chill out. LOL. :confused: :D</font>

m_conners
Jun 24 2008, 05:32 PM
Anxiety attack on the course? Man that sux, pretty crazy you actually were leading the tournament with that going on.

cgkdisc
Jun 24 2008, 05:35 PM
If you're in a threesome in a division with more than three, that's the one time actually leaving the group is a problem to prevent just two players continuing.

ChrisWoj
Jun 24 2008, 06:12 PM
Have you quit: Yes, twice.

Why: First time was in January 2006, I played Advanced for the first time and was hopelessly overmatched and frustrated and just left. Second time was July 2007 I decided halfway through the first round (whilst holding the 2nd best score on my fivesome card) that playing in 50mph constants wasn't disc golf, and just walked off. I'm sorry but when I have to lay up from 15 I'm not having fun.

I probably wouldn't ever quit for either of those reasons again, especially now that playing Open means playing for real dollars... but yeah.

johnrock
Jun 24 2008, 06:19 PM
Only once, 1989 Aquafest in Austin, TX. I was warming up for our Freestyle routine and tried to execute a pretty simple under-the-leg "Gitis" catch and ended up falling over and landing on my left shoulder (which I had broken a few years earlier). I tried to continue but the pain was too much, so I had to suffer the humiliation of letting my partner down after we had worked on that routine for some time :(. I've never quit a golf tournament though.

my_hero
Jun 24 2008, 06:23 PM

If yes, what was the reasoning. <font color="red"> Not sure what triggered it but i had a severe anxiety attack with 3 holes to go in the first round. I went ahead and finished thanks to Ron Sillamen who carried my bag for the remainder of the round. Later i found out that i was in the lead by 3 strokes but i went home at lunch anyways to.............well, chill out. LOL. :confused: :D</font>

Anxiety attack on the course? Man that sux, pretty crazy you actually were leading the tournament with that going on.

Actually, i lost 2 strokes by bogeying 2 of the last 3 holes while the "attack" was going on; could've been a 5 stroke lead. Felt perfectly fine for the first 18 holes(21 hole format), still want to know what triggered it. So, if you hear any of the old timers calling me "Shakes", you now know the reason. :D

Roosta
Jun 24 2008, 06:44 PM
i have DNF'd one tourney. I just wasnt enjoying myself(especially after losing 2 of my main drivers within the first 3 holes) i just didnt feel like playing after that...

ANHYZER
Jun 24 2008, 07:44 PM
Is that why you DNF'd this weekend?

Roosta
Jun 24 2008, 08:35 PM
lets make this clear right now, i am not dave feldberg.....it is only a screen name honoring my god.....

the_kid
Jun 24 2008, 08:48 PM
lets make this clear right now, i am not dave feldberg.....it is only a screen name honoring my god.....

If he was your god you would be at least 950 just because you watch the guy play.

xterramatt
Jun 24 2008, 10:11 PM

Did you have this weird feeling you were being followed by 71 people? Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

CAMBAGGER
Jun 24 2008, 10:57 PM
Other: Quit at the 2004 Riverside Glide

Father in Law died on Sat night. Found out Sun AM, was at Bill Moody's house before the tourney. Tried to go play, but played a few holes of the 3rd rd and couldn't do it anymore. Drove an hour and a half home to OKC, then 17 straight hrs to TN.

Roosta
Jun 24 2008, 11:28 PM

If he was your god you would be at least 950 just because you watch the guy play.

I'm too busy praising to actually learn to play disc golf....

ChrisWoj
Jun 25 2008, 01:25 AM
i have DNF'd one tourney. I just wasnt enjoying myself(especially after losing 2 of my main drivers within the first 3 holes) i just didnt feel like playing after that...

Your answer SHOULD HAVE BEEN...

Yes.
Reason: Act of Osh.

Roosta
Jun 25 2008, 07:27 AM
i forgot about that one.......so ive DNF'd 2 tourneys. that one wasn't by choice. TD's who disregard pDGA rules or better yet are not aware of pDGA rules are awesome!

discchucker
Jun 25 2008, 08:13 AM
I've DNF'd twice. Once due to injury and the other due to work calling. The crappy part was I was sitting first card after the first round when work called. How big of a kick in the sack is that? To top it off, it wasn't even my problem to fix. And by the time I got done messing around at work, there wasn't enough time to drive back to the tourney.

crotts
Jun 25 2008, 09:44 AM
DNF'd 5 times, 4 times due to injury.

this year at the Dogwood Crosstown classic played my final round with a SuperHero, didn't make it across the pond at Cedar Hills, person in my group gave me a putter to keep playing, that also didn't make it across the pond. walked with my group the rest of the round as an official.

: ) :

my_hero
Jun 25 2008, 10:49 AM
Did you have this weird feeling you were being followed by 71 people? Sorry, couldn't resist. :)

That's F---ing hilarious. Felt more like 83 people since it was a 21 hole course.

blazinpat
Jun 25 2008, 01:52 PM
PDGA tournaments played - 57, DNF's 0.

I've never DNF'd before, I actually rolled my ankle really bad by being stupid at the Aspen Sports Treebash this year before the last day and could barley even walk, but still made myself finish the mountain course. I've also played insanely sick and a tourney too but I was also in first going into it and didn't wanna give that up. I guess it's all up to how bad you want it, and if you're not doing to well in the tourney currently and are sick or injured then I can totally understand DNF'ing but DNF'ing cuz things are'nt going how you want to I honestly think is lame. You can only get better by staying and trying to make a comeback. This game is super mental and you just got to tell yourself that you will comeback. Anyways that's just my opinion on it.

cornhuskers9495
Jun 25 2008, 02:32 PM
Exactly Pat, great post... Quiters never win and winners never quit...

I DNF'd once also, My first year playing events..(2004) Yager shots til 4am isn't bright, but whatcha gonna do, ay?

I played the Mighty Mo open in KC last year. First round, I was sick as hell and was vomitting in the woods from a hangover and heat exaustion from the day before, 2 rounds of 27 holes, 9.5 hours of competitive golf. I wanted to just quit and sleep in the car during the second round, but I refused to give up.

I had a hearty lunch and got really hydrated and came back to shoot the course record at Water Works (45) and move from the 2nd to last card to one stroke out of a playoff for the win.

"Your never out of it, always keep going. Learn something about who you REALLY are"!!

Pat, I saw your dad in Lincoln a few weekends ago...

JHBlader86
Jun 25 2008, 04:12 PM
I wanted to DNF my most recent tournament, but that's not how I learn. I played so horribly, but because of my poor play I learned I really need to work on my mid-game and upshots. I always had nice drives, but my approach shots always screwed me over to where I couldnt get a putt.

mbohn
Jun 25 2008, 04:19 PM
I have never DNF'd and unless there is a serious medical or family emergency I never will. I agree with Tank and Pat. I guess I have a certian type of attitude that makes me want to finish no matter what. Even if I am on the verge of not having fun, I will keep up appearances for the sake of the group and not let on that I am down. I usually find something to bring me back around before too long. Even if it is a goal to beat just one person in my division and fight off a DFL! Like Ken said, you are never out of it... and if you stay with it, you might end up with a reward. Like an ACE payout, or slipping into the cash, who knows.... Never quit....

pgcarlos
Jun 25 2008, 05:05 PM
My wife and I were in the same tourny. She was in first after the first day I did not even make the top 10. We only had someone to watch our kids on the first day.

dwiggmd
Jun 25 2008, 05:20 PM
Good point MTL. I have "withdrawn" from a number of tournaments. In every case it is because I had work (I am an emergency physician) or family responsibilities (I am married and also have a daughter who I spend time with).

It was either start and play some, or not play at all. I was voluntarily donating my entry fee to the pot so to speak, just for the pleasure of playing part of a tournament.

This year I have had to withdraw more than ever, and also have won more than ever albeit in the advanced masters division. So there goes the quitters never win fallacy

Before ragging on people who are "quitters", we should try to think about how fortunate we are to have the ability to devote the entire weekend to disc golf and also that if these people "quit" and we did not, then we already "beat" them. Why push it any further than that?

Now encouraging someone to continue who is having a bad tournament and not throwing in the towel is a positive thing, and I'm all for that. But someone who has made the decision to leave for whatever reason has already weighed the plusses and minuses in their mind. It doesn't necessarily reflect on their desire to win or their determination. Besides, continuing to play doesn't necessarily mean that one has not already mentally "quit", at least in terms of trying to win.

bschweberger
Jun 25 2008, 05:52 PM
Love that Avatar Tanker.

poisonelf
Jun 25 2008, 05:57 PM
DNF in 3 tournaments in my life

First tournament i dropped out of i was just tired and didn't really care so i went home.
First tournament this year I threw my back and shoulder out with only 5 holes left to go.
A few months later i was lifting and the safety on a leg press machine failed and 1400lbs came crashing down on my knee (amazingly it didn't break but i had major strains on my right knee). Went to Bowling Green AMs 3 days later and had to pretty much throw flat foot 3/4 rounds. Finished but didn't place well. Then i was dumb enough to play Disc n Dats and down i went...just to much for one knee. Finished 2 of 4 rounds and the pain killers just weren't enough.

Won my CSX this year with a broken finger on my throwing hand. I was going to bounce after the first day (my hand was throbing and my finger was dark purple) but then i found out i was leading by 2 :P

rob
Jun 25 2008, 06:48 PM
DNF- once
My wife's grandfather died, had to be with family. I think I was in 3rd place at the time.

davidsauls
Jun 26 2008, 08:47 AM
I suffered a string of DNFs in 2002-2004 after a shoulder injury, before finally fixed with surgery, as my shoulder would just give out. Having been forced to quit tournaments and endured a year in which I could not play at all, no degree of bad play will run me off the course. Even at my worst, I'm just glad to be able to play, and perhaps try to work out the problems in my game.

Tournament-ending injuries are more common with us older folks. "Toughing it out" sounds good----but that's exactly how I tore up my shoulder, pushing to the end of a tournament after hurting it, so I have a better understanding for those who withdraw with injuries.

Worst of the worst? Those who are playing bad and DNF by not showing up for a round, or the second day, and tell no one. Especially when it turns out they were grouped in a threesome. Causes all sorts of problems.

cwphish
Jun 26 2008, 09:24 AM
Never DNF'd in my career, despite passing kidney stones, having food poisoning, or otherwise just having a horrible day on the course. In NC, quitting appears to be a trend with many to save player ratings. I don't understand that at all, as I know of no one who gets a commission off of having a high rating.

cwphish
Jun 26 2008, 09:28 AM
I feel there should be a difference between a withdraw (injury, illness, emergency, etc) than someone just quitting.

I know I am not happy I have a 999 on my record now when I was sick. I don't want to be labeled a quitter. I have never and will never quit a tournament b/c of poor play.

Doesn't tanking a round so it gets dropped count in this scenario BOB? I refer you to the Raleigh Winter Jam. And didn't you actually finish the round in JAX? Why is it a 999 if you finished?

anita
Jun 26 2008, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure I would want to be on the same card with guys who play on with their various intestinal ailments. :p

Just what I want, card mates who are pea green with "food poisoning", kidney stones, hang overs, and general upset tummies. :eek:

cwphish
Jun 26 2008, 10:20 AM
I can definitely appreciate your point, but sometimes we have no choice in when ailments strike. We do have a choice as to honoring the integrity of the sport and competition however. Having a kidney disorder is not fun, whether or not I am playing disc golf.

Jun 26 2008, 10:34 AM

Doesn't tanking a round so it gets dropped count in this scenario BOB? I refer you to the Raleigh Winter Jam.

not for BoB!
he would NEVER do that...

mbohn
Jun 26 2008, 12:20 PM
I never seem to see the benefit of tanking a round, until months after where at the event I have pushed through to finish as best I possibly could, still end up last or close to last and find out that if I had played just a few strokes worse, the round would have not been counted once that the ratings updates are done and that it didn't matter how I played I still would have lost big-time.

The plan seems simple, tank the round and drop the rating, but I honestly don't know how anyone (personally) could do such a thing, and keep a straight face and not let on that they are faking it or have just plain given up.

It always bugs me when someone in my group goes down that road. You can feel the moral shrinking.

Now, for all of the real reasons, that real people, (fathers, mothers signifcant others, children etc... ) DNF those can have honor too. Like Dave pointed out, there many reasons people quit, and their can be many good reasons for quitting. I know that if my family needed me I would be gone in a flash.
And when I arrived at their side, my wife would probably be thinking, I am glad I married a man, not a boy.

But tanking rounds and just plain quitting to save your rating is dis-honorable IMHO :mad:

cornhuskers9495
Jun 26 2008, 01:25 PM
I never seem to see the benefit of tanking a round,

The plan seems simple, tank the round and drop the rating,

But tanking rounds and just plain quitting to save your rating is dis-honorable IMHO :mad:

Doesn't tanking a round so it gets dropped count in this scenario BOB?

What's the deal with "TanKing" a round...

Why does noone say "Schwebbing" a round or "MiddlecamPing" a round...

Geez, a few bad rounds and you get a stigma... /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cwphish
Jun 26 2008, 01:28 PM
Haven't heard a Pete reference like that in a while. Is he playing anymore?

And does anyone else appreciate Sharapova's grunting today? :D

stack
Jun 26 2008, 01:35 PM
I never seem to see the benefit of tanking a round,

The plan seems simple, tank the round and drop the rating,

Doesn't tanking a round so it gets dropped count in this scenario BOB?

What's the deal with "TanKing" a round...

Why does noone say "Schwebbing" a round or "MiddlecamPing" a round...

Geez, a few bad rounds and you get a stigma... /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I wish I could say I 'Schwebbed' a round but I havent set any course records yet ;)

mbohn
Jun 26 2008, 01:36 PM
LOL!! I didn't even think of that! That is funny.

How about BORGing a round!

OK, that was out of line, Dave had a medical issue at the GSC, and had to think of the future of the Borg....

mbohn
Jun 26 2008, 01:41 PM
If one could actually BORG a round even after TANKing a round they would still end up winning by an 11 stroke or better margin :D

jefferson
Jun 26 2008, 02:50 PM

agREeD

MTL21676
Jun 26 2008, 02:56 PM

Agreed.

Never once have tanked a round to save my rating as shown by my 9 point drop a few days ago :D

MTL21676
Jun 26 2008, 02:57 PM
And now someone will post a round where I screwed around and acted stupid.

Yeah, it was stupid. SHouldn't have done it. Have apologized. Have learned from it.

However, I didn't do it to save my rating. I did it b/c I wasn't having fun and I felt that was the only way I could do so. I was wrong.

phluffhead
Jun 26 2008, 03:10 PM

agREeD

Are ju sirius that coming from King Quitter, I think ju took my title a few years ago. I've QUIT plenty of tourney because this is a HOBBy for me and if I'm not having fun (especially playing with certain peeps) then why can't I quit, it's my money. Iwould rather walkoff then have a bad attitude or hear peeps biatch about the course, a twig in the way, stupid holes, how they played this hole last 100 times, how the throw a perfect shot but somehow got kicked in the woods, etc. I even started wearing headphones but the beauty of the game to me is hearing nature, the camaraderie not people running their mouth. Also I've been injuried most of the year with back problems so I DNF'd a tourney but still made it through 3 and a half round shootn 920 golf but hey now I can play Adv.

cwphish
Jun 26 2008, 03:12 PM
My card heard you say out loud during the round that you were tanking to save your rating. The other behaviors and things you refer to makes me wonder why you were the TD then. You could always report yourself and ask to be disqualified and demonstrate positive actions that would probably surprise a massive amount of people, which would only be good for your reputation.

jefferson
Jun 26 2008, 03:16 PM
that was reference to tanking and quiTTing to save a rating... which i have never done. if i wanted to save my awesome rating i wouldnt have finished in a$heville

i agree its your money, do what you want as long as it doesnt affect other players. i have quit and will continue to if i feel like it... just absolutely nothing to do with rating

phluffhead
Jun 26 2008, 03:18 PM
My card heard you say out loud during the round that you were tanking to save your rating. The other behaviors and things you refer to makes me wonder why you were the TD then. You could always report yourself and ask to be disqualified and demonstrate positive actions that would probably surprise a massive amount of people, which would only be good for your reputation.

Which reminds me I also quit or DQ's myself for cheating and multiple rules violations. I think that narc (Cam :D) is still up in them thur woods

cwphish
Jun 26 2008, 03:32 PM

Which reminds me I also quit or DQ's myself for cheating and multiple rules violations. I think that narc (Cam :D) is still up in them thur woods

Wow, a ninety minute coming out of the nose, good times!

mbohn
Jun 26 2008, 03:37 PM
My friend gave himself a penalty stroke for a practice throw that no one even saw, that he made after he had been warned, (sort of a brain fart day for him ) and it was the difference between a tie and me winning the masters division at our ice bowl last year.

I won without the need of a playoff because of this guys honesty. :eek:

LOL, The poor guy just couldn't resist tossing is putter down the trail between holes...... What possesd him that day, I will never know. :p

phluffhead
Jun 26 2008, 03:46 PM
Hope it wasn't what possesd me or he might have been doing more then thrown his putter down the trail. WOW what a day in the mountains. I believe MJ (caddie) was throwing some of the holes with our group and his player wasn't DQ or strokd what cheaters

cwphish
Jun 26 2008, 03:47 PM
Shine on! :D

phluffhead
Jun 26 2008, 03:51 PM
Thank god them hippies now call the bag on putt the Brad Smith instead of DNFn. It's now the Ratty Scopes. Actually almost anything negative in DG is You got Scoped.

MiTTenZZ
Jun 26 2008, 03:58 PM
I quit a tournament once.........once. Turns out you shouldn't get all dehydrated, drink no water, then pound beer all night...whoops.

bgwvdave
Jun 26 2008, 06:38 PM
almost anything negative in DG is You got Scoped.

did someone say me name?

i quite my second tourney of the year last weekend. i aggree w/ BS it is my money my decision

mbohn
Jun 26 2008, 06:48 PM
Anyone remember Bad Luck Schleprock from the Flintstones... I've actually played in a tournament with him before, or at least it was his embodiment.......

BTW quiting a tournament is always personal, so yeah I agree, it's your money, it's your decision. But in a tournament it can also effect the rest of the players while quitting. So if you quit with the right reasons, and do it with dignity and respect, and try not to effect the group doing it, then in my book it is ok.

On the other hand, there is nothing worse than playing with someone who wants to quit, never stops talking about quitting, and never really does... That my friends is what I would call a loser... Not in every case , but most of the time.

savard1120
Jun 27 2008, 04:12 PM

i wasnt aware they sold clothing at jamesport son

CAMBAGGER
Jun 27 2008, 04:44 PM

What was you last name again??? ;) :D

cwphish
Jun 27 2008, 05:20 PM

What was you last name again??? ;) :D

Uh, could you please speak a little louder and look directly at my shirt logo??? ;)

Fossil
Jun 27 2008, 05:22 PM
BTW quiting a tournament is always personal, so yeah I agree, it's your money, it's your decision. But in a tournament it can also effect the rest of the players while quitting. So if you quit with the right reasons, and do it with dignity and respect, and try not to effect the group doing it, then in my book it is ok.

Quitting is a players personal decision. As a TD it can be an aggravation if the event is running threesomes and you have to reset a remaining twosome before play begins because someone quit/never showed up to the tee and never notified HQ.

cornhuskers9495
Jun 30 2008, 01:47 PM
Quiting because of the sole purpose of playing badly is plain cowardly.

"ANY" other reason for DNF'ing is acceptable, other than that one.

If thats the case, You are playing the wrong sport and go find horseshoes or backgammon.

Thread completed...

my_hero
Jun 30 2008, 02:13 PM
Quiting because of the sole purpose of playing badly is plain cowardly.

I couldn't agree more. Poor sportsmanship at best. I actually saw it happen this weekend in TX. I was at a loss for words.

seewhere
Jun 30 2008, 02:37 PM
did you report it?? :eek:

my_hero
Jun 30 2008, 03:33 PM
Report what? There's nothing to report. He was playing poorly and didn't want to play anymore. His money, his choice, his DNF. I guess i expected more of him.

DOC65
Jun 30 2008, 03:55 PM
I've seen it happen in ball golf tournaments as well. And the main reason is that the person has one of those days where even the best shots turn into crap. And we've all had those day's.

And rather than pulling the whole group down it seems better to WD/DNF rather then be a burden on the rest of the group. Right or wrong it is sometimes a decision that seems best for others rather than themselves.

Now if it's me and I'm having one of those days...then everyone will get to suffer through it with me. Heck, maybe you'll catch what I got and I'll get what you lost and turn it all around.

:eek: :D

mbohn
Jun 30 2008, 04:16 PM
Anyone remember Bad Luck Schleprock from the Flintstones... I've actually played in a tournament with him before, or at least it was his embodiment.......

On the other hand, there is nothing worse than playing with someone who wants to quit, never stops talking about quitting, and never really does... That my friends is what I would call a loser... Not in every case , but most of the time.

I've seen it happen in ball golf tournaments as well. And the main reason is that the person has one of those days where even the best shots turn into crap. And we've all had those day's.

And rather than pulling the whole group down it seems better to WD/DNF rather then be a burden on the rest of the group. Right or wrong it is sometimes a decision that seems best for others rather than themselves.

Now if it's me and I'm having one of those days...then everyone will get to suffer through it with me. Heck, maybe you'll catch what I got and I'll get what you lost and turn it all around.

DOC65
Jun 30 2008, 04:28 PM

If you know me you'll know that I'm not vocal about my bad play. Just the occasion CRAP, what the heck are you doing. Then it's off to the next shot. Or on the worst occasions, back to the next shot!! But just watching good shots go so horribly wrong can wear out the viewer just as much. :D:eek:

mbohn
Jun 30 2008, 04:34 PM
I'm the same way. In fact I always apologize when it happens and try to end the outbursts right then and there....

I thought it was funny how the two posts sort of say the same thing... If you have quit, fine just do it quickly, quietly and with respect for those around you.

JHBlader86
Jun 30 2008, 05:24 PM
When I'm having a crappy tournament you'll def. see the anger on my face, but I do my best to keep it contained by not complaining about every bad shot. I just keep it to myself, and try to help the others have a good time by congratulating them on their good rounds. May suck for me, but it's not fair for one person to bring down the whole group because it ruins everyones day.

blazinpat
Jul 01 2008, 12:39 PM
I agree with the whole it just being cowardly or even rude to quit just cuz you're not playing how you want. Especially in this situation. I recently played in a tourney about 2 months ago and my last round I was down towards the middle of the pack and and only myself and two other guys showed up for the round. We started on hole 6 I believe and one of the guys in my group wasn't having a very hot round. So as we get up to 18 (remember we still had like 5 or 6 holes left) he says to me I'm leaving after this hole cuz that's were my car is. I laughed at first and then realized he was serious. So I told him that we wouldn't be able to finish the round with only 2 players on a card and his response to that was I quote "I don't care cuz it's not my problem". So true it's your money but when it comes around to jeprodizing someone elses round you need to reconsider your options. I was super annoyed and kinda TO'd about the situation so in the end we had to join the next group on the next hole and make a 6'some, which they were okay with but not totally. So depending on the situation it could be cowardly, selfish, rude, or whatever, but if it falls under those lines I don't agree with it. Just my opinion since I I've been subjected to some crappy situations.

tafe
Jul 01 2008, 01:59 PM
I agree that it is rude. I have never quit a tournament and would only do so based on an injury. At the recent Am Nat's I completely lost my timing on teeshots and knew that I was shooting some of the worst rounds I have ever shot on the Toboggan. Halway through the second round I just gave up caring about my scores and decided just to try and have fun on a great course with some great groups. Those were some of the most fun bogeys and double bogeys I have ever thrown. It was getting funny to try and see how I could put myself in more trouble than I had ever been.
In the end, those wre some of the happiest rounds I have thrown on the Toboggan. I work for a living and play golf for fun. If you're not having fun, try bowling.
BTW DNF'ing can be very disrespectful to the tourney staff if the tourney is over-full as well. 5-somes on every hole and a waitlist of 10-20. Then after lunch a few people don't show? That just ain't right no matter how you look at it (except for bona fide emergent cases).

boredatwork
Jul 02 2008, 12:28 PM
No matter how poorly your shots are ending up, no matter how bad the luck is you're getting or how consistently you're getting bad rollaways/skips/no chain love it shouldn't matter to the mindset of the golfer! Life and Golf have ups and downs and if you can't hang with the down times then stay off the course. It's my opinion that if you commit yourself to entering a tournament you have a duty as a golfer to complete it unless an adverse health condition prevents you from safely doing so! If you can't take the game one shot at a time then find another sport for competitive play

chrisd928
Jul 02 2008, 11:36 PM
agreed with the last few posts. have fun while your out there playing its a game and even if your doing it competitevily have fun doing it it takes off a load of stress that you might have from wanting to perform so well. i learned this lesson last year i was a basketcase on the course gettgin mad at missed putts errant shots and bad play over all and my good friend told me to calm down it was affecting the group and from that day on i havent had a blowup on the course ive jsut relaxed and played the game how it was meant to be played fun and well FUN! and as for quitting a tourney ive never quit one myself even suffering through rounds just weeks after a knee surgery and also hurting from it months after. you shouldnt consider quitting unless an absolute emergency its just not a cool thing to do. especailly when it affects others play.

m_conners
Jul 09 2008, 05:16 PM
Although quitting is lame...If you feel like quitting just do it, its your money.

gnduke
Jul 09 2008, 11:49 PM
When you commit to play in a tournament, the TD and other players plan things based on your presence throughout the event. If you feel the need to quit during or between rounds or between days, please let the TD know so they can make sure you are not listed as the third person on a three person card.

I quit two tournaments, both because of family obligations. The first was one of my first tournaments and I didn't let the TD know. The latest was a tournament that I knew I had to leave at a certain time, and I told the TD at the start of the day. I ended up having to leave with only 4 holes left to play.

redsealking
Jul 11 2008, 05:15 PM
Maybe I haven't been playing long enough or whatever, but I would never consider quitting a round, tournament, mini, nothing. Disc golf is my solace, and even a bad day at that is way better than a lot of other things. I have been on a three man card that one guy didn't show up on, so we had to join another 3 card, and playing on a 5 card amongst a tournament of 3 man cards probably made a few people angry, but who knows, maybe the guy had a good reason.

krazyeye
Jul 11 2008, 05:25 PM
He was wandering around the tournament if you recall. I don't think he needs a reason for anything he does.

keithjohnson
Jul 11 2008, 10:50 PM
Maybe I haven't been playing long enough or whatever, but I would never consider quitting a round, tournament, mini, nothing. Disc golf is my solace, and even a bad day at that is way better than a lot of other things. I have been on a three man card that one guy didn't show up on, so we had to join another 3 card, and playing on a 5 card amongst a tournament of 3 man cards probably made a few people angry, but who knows, maybe the guy had a good reason.

If it does happen to you again, it is better to have 1 guy go back a hole, and the other go forward a hole to create 2 foursomes, instead of a 5 some :p. Pace will not be slowed down nearly as much.

veganray
Jul 14 2008, 11:44 AM
Almost had to quit at Hawk Hollow on Sat. After climbing the hill from 18 to 1, I was feeling the prickly heat &amp; a nice queasiness, and was really struggling to keep putting one foot in front of the other. I was contemplating walking back to the car when the angel Biscoe magically appeared with a cooler full of ice (which I rapidly applied to my neck, wrists, &amp; temples) &amp; an extra liter of water. Feeling somewhat perked up, I finished 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 2, 6 (-1, definitely my best 7 hole span of the weekend) to rise from 3 back for the Intermediate win. Glad I didn't quit &amp; glad an insanely great TD was on the scene.

dinoroger
Jul 14 2008, 12:45 PM
Yes
Started some new medication few days before. Side affect was 200/100 blood presure causing me to nearly pass out on the course. So almost having a stroke I decided to sit out the second round. Wasnt in PDGA at the time.

Sharky
Jul 14 2008, 01:24 PM
..... Feeling somewhat perked up, I finished 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 2, 6 (-1, definitely my best 7 hole span of the weekend) to rise from 3 back for the Intermediate win. Glad I didn't quit &amp; glad an insanely great TD was on the scene.

Bagger! :eek:
I mean glad you are OK and great shooting. :cool:

Practice up big Triple Disc tag match commences in 11 days. :p

veganray
Jul 14 2008, 02:36 PM
It is ON! Will have to be a 2-round match, because though you &amp; Kelly will very likely make the cut, there is NO WAY I will. BTW - I tee off at 9:10am, Kelly 1pm, you 2pm.

hallp
Jul 14 2008, 03:26 PM
ive only quit once it was at waco an hour and a half drive and i stayed up way too late and by the time i woke up it was t-time! the other i was just late to as well but i atleast played the last 9 holes!!!!