JHBlader86
Jun 19 2008, 12:49 AM
We're considering bringing back Bag Tags here in BG. We know players around here love em, and they'd be a good money maker, but a problem we see having is someone who buys one getting a number like in the Top 10, and soon they just disappear taking the tag with them. An example of this is a girl who played here who won the #3 tag and she moved taking the tag with her. It's happened to a huge majority of the old tags here, actually. Does anyone here whose club uses Bag Tags have solutions to this problem??

reallybadputter
Jun 19 2008, 07:44 AM
Solution?

We don't sweat it... but we issue new bag tags every year at our icebowl. Our tags the last two years have been custom printed luggage tags that we've done ourselves using something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Luggage-L...7502151-0728712 (http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Luggage-Laminating-Pouches-25-Pack/dp/B00004TS6C/ref=pd_sbs_op_1/104-7502151-0728712)

We haven't had anyone move away with the #1 tag, but a high tag moving away only takes it out of play for the rest of the year...

Mark_Stephens
Jun 19 2008, 08:48 AM
Exactly...

Who cares if a tag is gone be it moved away or lost.

Hogger
Jun 19 2008, 08:38 PM
Exactly...

Sometimes I do.

There is nothing quite like showing up to a monthly and handing in the 4th best tag (#08).
Then after shooting the 5th best round to walk away with tag #33.

Why the huge jump? Because about 10 tags between #11-29 are lost or missing.

Isn't the idea of a bag tag challenge to compete for the highest tag(s)?

nanook
Jun 19 2008, 09:07 PM
Exactly...

Sometimes I do.

There is nothing quite like showing up to a monthly and handing in the 4th best tag (#08).
Then after shooting the 5th best round to walk away with tag #33.

Why the huge jump? Because about 10 tags between #11-29 are lost or missing.

Isn't the idea of a bag tag challenge to compete for the highest tag(s)?

Are you just as miffed if you get that #33 because #11-29 are not lost, but happen to be playing somewhere else? Maybe at a different tourney? I personally think the idea is to compete for the best tag(s) present regardless of the number on it...

In our local club we have had visitors to the area buy a club membership and then return home, often out-of-state, taking the tag as a souvenir. Instead of seeing the glass half-empty (that tag is essentially "lost" for the season), I choose to see it as half-full (thanks for supporting our club!).

nanook

cgkdisc
Jun 19 2008, 09:12 PM
In our Minnesota Frisbee bag tag setup, ending up with the top tags remaining in the area at yearend is only for bragging rights. All prizes distributed at the end of the year are drawn randomly. So you can win the best prize with the highest number. The primary idea is to have fun participating and use the tags for bragging rights with your buddies. But in this way, low number tags disappearing means little in the big picture.

skaZZirf
Jun 19 2008, 09:25 PM
Each tag is $10 to the club, minus cost. If its kept, hey, new ones next year. However, it is 100% lost, have it replaced. Its a great $ builder for the club. I think there should be two #1 tags ie. Bag Tag Co-champions.

cgkdisc
Jun 19 2008, 09:25 PM
Only for twins...

skaZZirf
Jun 19 2008, 09:28 PM
LOL.

Hogger
Jun 19 2008, 09:59 PM
Are you just as miffed if you get that #33 because #11-29 are not lost, but happen to be playing somewhere else?

No, I am talking about lost tags. If the tags are out of town...then so be it.
We have new tags this year. Our our one day C-Tier on June 7, 6 of the top 10 tags were present. The list included #1, #2, and #4.

Three years ago the #31 tag was mine almost all year. I'd turn it in and at the end of the tourny I'd get it right back.
Usually it'd be the 15th-20th best tag and I'd shoot the 15th-20th best round.

I found it frustrating to have improved my score and my place in the overall higherarchy of the club only to have the "reward" be the same.

I recognize that people from out of town will buy tags.
That's a good thing...a club can't rely only on money from the local members. Infusion from an outside course it very important.

That being said I think the solution is an annual update to tags.
A) It means more money coming in.
B) It means if a tag gets lost then it isn't the end of the world.

nanook
Jun 20 2008, 01:49 PM
Are you just as miffed if you get that #33 because #11-29 are not lost, but happen to be playing somewhere else?

No, I am talking about lost tags. If the tags are out of town...then so be it.
We have new tags this year. Our our one day C-Tier on June 7, 6 of the top 10 tags were present. The list included #1, #2, and #4.

Three years ago the #31 tag was mine almost all year. I'd turn it in and at the end of the tourny I'd get it right back.
Usually it'd be the 15th-20th best tag and I'd shoot the 15th-20th best round.

I found it frustrating to have improved my score and my place in the overall higherarchy of the club only to have the "reward" be the same.

I recognize that people from out of town will buy tags.
That's a good thing...a club can't rely only on money from the local members. Infusion from an outside course it very important.

That being said I think the solution is an annual update to tags.
A) It means more money coming in.
B) It means if a tag gets lost then it isn't the end of the world.

I understand your position, I was just curious. Also, I should have mentioned our club gets new tags every year. Tags are part of the yearly membership. We also try to hold a first/final tag match of the year as close to New Year's Day/Eve as possible.

nanook

ferretdance03
Jun 22 2008, 09:13 PM
This is the first year we've done tags (since this is the first year we've had a course!) and we are starting to hear some of the same concerns.

One of our other members came up with a solution that I like, making it more of a league or points series rather than just a traditional "ladder' tag challenge. Basically you accrue points, x amount for showing up, x amount for how many people you beat each week, and then a multiplier (your finishing tag each week minus the total number of tags out).

He made an excel worksheet that I've yet to dissect, but I think it would work, and would seem to soften the disappointment of shooting the 5th best score and taking the 33 tag.

dixonjowers
Jun 22 2008, 11:38 PM
you are going to be stuck with this situation even if all of the tags are in town, just not present at that particular mini or tourney. you might shoot the 5th best round and numbers 5-32 had something else going on. you should realize this before the round starts and then not shoot the 5th best round.

the real problem you are going to face is when people begin hiding their low tags because they don't want to lose them.