bruceuk
Jun 18 2008, 07:55 AM
Reading the various rules discussions on here, and their inevitable descent into pedantry /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, I was thinking that we should incorporate the 'Spirit of the Game' rule from Ultimate.
For me it is something that I have always considered inherent in disc sports in general, and I was surprised when I first discovered that it wasn't present in the PDGA rules.

For reference here is the rule:

"Flying disc sports have traditionally relied upon a spirit of sportsmanship which places the responsibility of fair play on the players themselves. Highly competitive and committed play is encouraged, but never at the expense of the bond of mutual respect between players, adherence to the agreed upon rules of any event, nor the basic enjoyment of play. Protection of these vital elements serves to eliminate adverse conduct from the playing field. The responsibility for the maintenance of this spirit rests on each player's shoulders."

It is clarified further on the WFDF site by this text:

The following are considered essential elements of good spirit:

* Know the rules
* Be truthful about your observations
* Be fair-minded to both sides
* Be clear in communication
* Be respectful and civil to your opponents

Additionally, going out of your way to be friendly to your opponents and to help them enjoy the experience of playing against you will always increase the spirit.

It seems to me that many of the rules discussions would be addressed by this, particularly things like the 'dropped disc' thread currently taking place, and it also gives guidance to players on making calls and handling disputes.

Reading the Q&A, it also seems that the rules committee use this principle when assessing situations.

OSTERTIP
Jun 18 2008, 08:39 AM
Kudos to you for your great insight and realization of the true meaning of getting together to enjoy a sport! Fun!

Hopefully more will follow behind you!

cgkdisc
Jun 18 2008, 11:25 AM
Two differences in the sports make it less feasible to instill this spirit in disc golf at this point. First, is that DG is individual versus team in ultimate. The peer pressure from teammates brings new players into the environment and helps instill that spirit of calling the rules on yourself. Second difference is payout. There's very little merch and cash payout in ultimate. Whereas disc golf has evolved a payout structure that's a much smaller scale than golf, but enough on a personal level to create an environment that works against calling rules on yourself.

Now you could say ball golf has a history of self calling the rules that works at the highest level with lots of money. However, with video cameras and the fact that lots of money is at risk if you don't call a rule infraction on yourself, it leads to players following along with calling rules on themselves. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try to instill the spirit rules, just that we have an uphill challenge at this point.

bruceuk
Jun 18 2008, 11:34 AM
Two differences in the sports make it less feasible to instill this spirit in disc golf at this point. First, is that DG is individual versus team in ultimate. The peer pressure from teammates brings new players into the environment and helps instill that spirit of calling the rules on yourself. Second difference is payout. There's very little merch and cash payout in ultimate. Whereas disc golf has evolved a payout structure that's a much smaller scale than golf, but enough on a personal level to create an environment that works against calling rules on yourself.

Now you could say ball golf has a history of self calling the rules that works at the highest level with lots of money. However, with video cameras and the fact that lots of money is at risk if you don't call a rule infraction on yourself, it leads to players following along with calling rules on themselves. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try to instill the spirit rules, just that we have an uphill challenge at this point.

Surely enshrining it in the rules would be a substantial first step?

OSTERTIP
Jun 18 2008, 11:35 AM
Good points Chuck. I am almost sure I am slightly off base here but....
I think it would be nice to have this line of thinking in Disc Golf. I don't think you could ever truly put this rule into effect. But it is a great mind set to have as a player.
Sadly most do not....

curt
Jun 18 2008, 03:31 PM
First of all, calling "Spirit of the Game" a rule in ultimate is a misnomer. No matter what a player does, you can not stop the game and say you just broke the spirit of the game, it is a turnover.

Instead, Spirit of the Game is a guiding principle for the playing of the game of ultimate, which is found in the introduction to the rules of the game. I believe that if you read the introduction and courtesy sections of our rules they express the same notion, just not quite as strongly.

Also, since this thread was born of the "dropped disc" thread, I would like to address that situation in regards to spirit of the game. As anyone who has been to an ultimate tournament knows, the cry of "good spirit" is a common occurrence at such events. However, it is rarely a reaction to a non-call, but much more frequently a response to someone who either calls a foul on himself or ends a lenghty debate by allowing a foul to be called on him.

Relating this to disc golf, I think spirit would truly be found in the guy who, after dropping a disc while behind his lie, immediately walks over to where it rolled and makes the 20 ft putt and not the guy who whines that he didn't mean to drop it or the bystanders who ignore it. (And if not behind the disc, would call a stance violation on himself)

Also, the original post wants to use spirit of the game to make sure that everyone stays friendly and happy. According to the WFDF the first characteristic of spirit is knowledge of the rules, and I assume enforcing those rules. In order to embody the spirit of the game, it is one's duty to enforce all the rules, regardless if that means penalizing someone's bad grip or giving them leniency b/c he can't hold on to a disc. It does not, however, guide players as to which was the rules say the call should go.

Sweeper
Jun 18 2008, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure if this helps, but I will add my 2 cents, which are only worth about 1 cents after depreciation.

I like to play DG and want those around me to enjoy it as well. If there is a borderline call, I think "would calling this/stroking this dude make me an @sshole?"

And that's all it is. I don't think I'm clever if I manipulate the rules to make someone else unhappy. I am not impressed with myself if I ruin someone elses tourney because I think I'm smart. I don't feel better about myself if I beat someone who is better than me because I jobbed him out of a stroke or two. It just makes me an @sshole! I want to lay down in my bed at night, feeling good about my day and the fact that I touched peoples lives in a positive way.

As for payouts, McDonalds pays better and takes less time.

Thats just me. I don't hold a high standard for myself and I am in no way suggesting that other people should be like me. I spent most of my life being a jerk. I'm over it and regret it. Just something to think on if you choose to.

Please don't blast me, I'll cry.

james_mccaine
Jun 18 2008, 06:53 PM
Relating this to disc golf, I think spirit would truly be found in the guy who, after dropping a disc while behind his lie, immediately walks over to where it rolled and makes the 20 ft putt and not the guy who whines that he didn't mean to drop it or the bystanders who ignore it. (And if not behind the disc, would call a stance violation on himself)

Nice argument: that the spirit of the game can justify any position, or a position opposite of the original poster. Sort of undercuts the argument, but not the ideal.

I haven't read the dropping disc thread, but I can imagine that technical, rules-based arguments are being made to justify calling a dropped disc a stroke. Kudos to the original poster for holding the principle of fairness higher than the written word. My test is as follows: if it were during a round with friends, with money on the line of course, what would I think is fair? I would always overlook someone dropping a disc, it's a lousy way to pick up a stroke.

cgkdisc
Jun 18 2008, 08:39 PM
Actually it was the other way around. The poster's group thought it was a penalty and the rules say it isn't. Hooray for the rules. :p

stack
Jun 18 2008, 09:57 PM
from mp3

<font color="blue">Another thing that is different in Ultimate from DG is the rules. The genius of Ultimate is that the rules are not punitive - everything is basically a do-over after an infraction is called. No turn-overs, no penalty shots, no penalty box, no yardage assessed, etc... On the other hand, DG rules are punative (for the most part, ie you get a warning for some infractions).

Having said that, I agree that it would be very cool to have the "spirit of the game" verbiage in our rule book.</font>

bruceuk
Jun 19 2008, 05:02 AM
Actually it was the other way around. The poster's group thought it was a penalty and the rules say it isn't. Hooray for the rules. :p

Just to clarify, by 'the poster' here, Chuck is referring to the dropped disc thread, not this one. The poster of this thread wouldn't stroke him for it!

Spirit is what you make of it, and I think where it applies most in DG is in terms of intent. Whilst not mentioned in the rules, it's often brought up in these threads and usually offers a fairly clear way out.

Sticking with the dropped disc example, spirit would clearly indicate that a plain drop is not a shot, nor is a disc stripped from the players hand by the basket as he stands up, but that if he was reaching to place the disc in the basket and made a mess of it, knocking it out of his hand in the process, it's a shot. I've done this, and made that call, and the call belongs with the player.

The same can apply to things like practice throws. If I throw my disc 5m to my bag, it's a penalty. If I throw it 1m, and it catches an edge and rolls 4 more, it's not...

And Chuck, I totally agree with "Hooray for the rules". IMO the application of spirit to the rules makes following them and understanding those little grey areas very straight forward, and as stated in the original post it appears to me that the Rules Committee already apply spirit when making judgements, even if they just think of it as fairness.