gotcha
Jun 16 2008, 10:18 AM
This Saturday (June 21) will be a work day at Moraine State Park. Club volunteers are requested to help prep the course in advance of the upcoming PFDO. J Gary has walked the course and flagged numerous low branches which need to be pruned as well as a couple of trees in need of removal. Here's a short list of things on the to-do list:

1. Remove fallen limbs/branches from the green left of #1B.
2. Remove fallen limbs/branches from the sides of hole #2.
3. Remove two flagged trees on #6 and clear tall grass around distance markers.
4. Clear brush overgrowth to the left of #7's blue tee to make the A-pin visible from the gold tee.
5. Remove large, hanging branch near #9's green. Move the tee blocks forward to help create more deuces/better scoring spread.
6. Remove limbs/branches from the wooded slopes of #12 and #13. Remove small tree near the end of #13's fairway.
7. Clear tall grass from around O.B. rope on #15, making it more visible. Also, repairing O.B. rope as it has been broken in one spot.
8. Removing flagged overgrowth on the side of #16's fairway approach to the wood line.
9. Ensuring the O.B. rope is intact and visible on holes #18 and #2.

The scheduled work time is from 9:00-12:00.
I'm sure there will be a casual round of disc golf after lunch (concession stand is open, by the way). If you can't make it out for the work day, but you are able to play the course during the week, please consider helping out by clearing some of the fallen branches off of holes 1, 2 12 and 13. Fifteen minutes of clearing stuff will help the course look that much better. This is the 20th anniversary of the PFDO so let's show off our courses to the out-of-town players!

As a reminder, Sunday (June 22) will be the regularly scheduled Moraine Monthly with the singles round starting at 10:00 am and random doubles after lunch.

gotcha
Jun 18 2008, 08:38 AM
I spoke with Leo Liller last night and the bulletin board is completed and ready for installation. We can add this to the list of things to do on Saturday at Moraine.

Calling all hands on deck... :)

jmc2442
Jun 18 2008, 08:53 AM
STUPID WEDDINGS. :mad:

Hopefully I'll make it out Sunday.....

kUrTp
Jun 18 2008, 09:06 AM
If there's stuff left over to do on Sunday i'll be more than willing to help. I have a stupid anniversary party to go to on Saturday.

gotcha
Jun 20 2008, 11:01 AM
I worked out at Moraine last night, pruning trees & shrubs on hole 1 as well as clearing the large oak branches which have been laying next to the b-sleeve for quite some time (lower back is a bit sore this morning). The lock on #1's basket is stuck and I was unable to move it to the b-sleeve. Hopefully, WD-40 or something similar should help us unstick those stubborn locks.

I also cleared more debris from hole 2 and I was able to use my pole saw to pull down the two large (dead) branches which hung into the fairway along the right side of the tree line. Lastly, I cleared a lot of the tall grass/weeds from behind 18's basket, making the O.B. rope more visible and the green a bit faster on the back side. The park was mowed within the past day or two and the course is lookin' good!

Hope to see a lot of volunteers on Saturday! :)

kUrTp
Jun 20 2008, 03:40 PM
Hopefully you didn't get into the Ivy again like last year!!! :D:D:D

gotcha
Jun 20 2008, 10:01 PM
Hopefully you didn't get into the Ivy again like last year!!! :D:D:D

I believe it was a spider bite....

This evening I put the pole saw and a pair of loppers to good use (wearing pants/long sleeves to prevent another spider bite ):

Hole 4: Low branches pruned...hole is ready.

Hole 5: Low branches pruned and thorny bush to the left of the white tee cut back.....hole is ready.

Hole 6: Low branches pruned and tall grass around distance markers cleared....need only to remove the two flagged trees in the fairway.

Hole 7: Low branches pruned and most of the undergrowth has been cut down so green is visible from all teeing areas. There is about 9 or 10 piles of cuttings (mainly Russian Olive) which need to be dragged away.

Hole 10: Low branches pruned....hole is ready.

Still a lot of work to do, but the course is looking better than ever! A good showing at tomorrow's work day will definitely help (hint, hint). :)

kUrTp
Jun 23 2008, 04:22 PM
Jerry, I don't know how many people showed up for the work day but I do know how great Moraine looked on Sunday.

Your efforts to improve and promote disc golf around the Pittsburgh area is greatly appriecatied. So, I Thank You.

gotcha
Jun 24 2008, 10:23 AM
Jerry, I don't know how many people showed up for the work day but I do know how great Moraine looked on Sunday.

We had about a dozen volunteers show up to work on the course and/or the bulletin board (Jim Wilson, Dave Wagner, Brian Heider, Scott McIntyre, KB Clark, Leo Liller, Michael Blazic, Mike Hoeg, SpeakerBear, Jason Aurila, Sid Olcott and myself). I hope I didn't forget anybody... :D

Anyway, the course looks fantastic to say the least. The new bulletin board is a much-needed addition and special thanks to Leo Liller and Tim Wright for not only donating the materials, but building the structure as well. If you ask me, it looks better than the park-built boards......nice job, guys!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/bb2.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/?action=view&current=bb2.jpg)

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/bb1.jpg (http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/gotcherj/?action=view&current=bb1.jpg)

This coming Friday (June 27) will be the final preparations on the Lakeview course. I'll be taking a vacation day and spending much of the day at Moraine.....checking O.B. rope, placing new signage on the course and doing some small things to get the course ready for the weekend event. We will need to set up the large tent that day....preferably late morning/early afternoon. If yinz are available on Friday to help out set up the tent, contact me. I'll post more on this topic as the week progresses.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out last week. :cool: