ArtVandelay
Jun 15 2008, 10:49 PM
Our local club has 9 new baskets which are a different color from the original 18. The original plan was to have a new 9 installed, but we have run into some space availability problems and currently might have to settle for 3 new holes. We are considering using the remainder of the baskets to overlay longer and more challenging pins and tees to make some par 4s and a par 5 on several of the existing 18 holes. The nice thing is, we can keep the rec players happy and still have true par 4s or par 5s on the same holes for the more skilled players. This seems to have worked well at some high profile courses. Are there any negatives to this? Any general suggestions on overlaying existing holes?

cgkdisc
Jun 15 2008, 11:23 PM
Security may be an issue in some locations. We have been reluctant to install practice baskets as a general policy in public parks because it seems to make stealing one basket a slightly higher probability since the course would still have 18 to use.

the_kid
Jun 17 2008, 01:39 AM
Security may be an issue in some locations. We have been reluctant to install practice baskets as a general policy in public parks because it seems to make stealing one basket a slightly higher probability since the course would still have 18 to use.

Why does it not surprise me Chuck would be against every normal thinking including adding a Practice basket?

cgkdisc
Jun 17 2008, 01:49 AM
When you've put them in and paid for them then had either them or just one other basket stolen several times, you get the message. Makes a difference if it's out of your pocket. Or, park departments are self insured so replacements come out of their repair budget if they even have money available. We hadn't had a basket stolen for years at North Valley. Once we went to 21 holes, a basket was stolen within 6 months, possibly because there were still at least 18.

mule1
Jun 17 2008, 08:30 AM
That has not been a problem in Charlotte with our overlays. The only basket stolen was one we moved and FORGOT to lock back down. Grrr. We made it easy. Rene, I pm'd you with my phone # to chew the fat about overlays. I'm too lazy to type.

Mark_Stephens
Jun 17 2008, 09:30 AM

Why does it not surprise me Chuck would be against every normal thinking including adding a Practice basket?

Did he say that he was against installing practice baskets????? No... He told you what he is doing & why.

gnduke
Jun 17 2008, 04:12 PM
When you've put them in and paid for them then had either them or just one other basket stolen several times, you get the message. Makes a difference if it's out of your pocket. Or, park departments are self insured so replacements come out of their repair budget if they even have money available. We hadn't had a basket stolen for years at North Valley. Once we went to 21 holes, a basket was stolen within 6 months, possibly because there were still at least 18.

You must have a better class of thief up there. It never occurred to me that they might be considering the condition of the course when deciding if it a good idea to steal a basket.

cgkdisc
Jun 17 2008, 04:22 PM
I believe we have the highest average education of all states or at least top 5.

mule1
Jun 17 2008, 04:47 PM
Too bad for you that those are the ones that move to the south! :)

cgkdisc
Jun 17 2008, 04:52 PM
That Research Triangle area is somethin' isn't it...

mule1
Jun 19 2008, 10:05 AM
Ya, northerners go in there and are never seen again. They get a bit whiny, but thats how it is mostly in the eastern south!