ChrisWoj
May 29 2008, 08:48 PM
What number along the ratings system do women tend to perceive as their equivalent to being in the 1000+ rated club? Just going by straight math 4.64% of all men are above 999 (1000 or higher)... so the equivalent for women is any woman rated above 940. Now, this is just going by the math. By feeling what do women feel is that elite level?

savard1120
May 30 2008, 12:56 AM

ThePatrick
May 30 2008, 01:47 PM
Ask Des Reading.

Lala
May 30 2008, 01:57 PM
I don't compare myself based on my gender - to me 1,000 is 1,000 male or female.

my_hero
May 30 2008, 02:06 PM
Ask Des Reading.

I'd say Des is 1030+ based on Chris's %'s.

ThePatrick
May 30 2008, 04:12 PM
Exactly. She's thrown a couple of 1000 rated rounds.

SarahD
Jun 02 2008, 10:28 AM
I'd say if a woman is rated 950+ she'd be in that 4.64 percentage of elitism.

Take Minn Majestic this weekend. The three 950+s beat all the rest without much of a problem, which is the predictable norm.

skaZZirf
Jun 02 2008, 12:15 PM

cgkdisc
Jun 02 2008, 12:22 PM
We use 900 as the level required to get World Rankings which now includes around 30 women. Based on percentages, probably 925 is close to the 1000 rated equivalent. I asked Juliana one time whether we should consider having a separate scale for women where a number like 925 or 900 would be set as 1000 rated for women so they could have a similar World Class benchmark. But we never discussed it seriously past that casual discussion.

discette
Jun 02 2008, 02:24 PM
A rating is a rating is a rating. It compares my ability to every other player in the PDGA. Please don't give women "special" ratings. We can already compare ourselves to each other and the top rated women without needing a gender specific rating.

Having separate ratings won't add or keep more women in the sport, so what would be the point?

cgkdisc
Jun 02 2008, 03:03 PM
The question came up several years before it became more commonplace for women to enter men's divisions. I agree there's no need for it. But if there were a demand for a separate rating, it could be accommodated.

flutterby
Jun 07 2008, 09:51 PM
I think 1000 is 1000 no matter how you look at it. all people are rated on the same scale as it should be... here's my question... Which woman do you think will be 1000 rated first? if any? Who out there do you think is willing to put in the major amount of work it will take to be a 1000 rated woman?

mbohn
Jun 09 2008, 03:11 PM
Des Reading looks like the one who will reach 1000 first.....

the_kid
Jun 09 2008, 04:00 PM

I doubt that one! Of those playing today Val might get there but I wouldn't be suprised if it will be someone who we don't even know and probably hasn't found the sport yet.

mbohn
Jun 09 2008, 04:33 PM
Well, being one who is not afraid to admit that I am wrong, I concede that you may be right.....

But looking at Val and Des head to head they both have the same issue of a large range of rounds that are high and low which create a large SD which in a way equates to inconsistant play.

It got me thinking, and after looking at these ladies standard deviations and this large range of currently rated rounds, it may be almost impossible for them to ever break 1000. They are playing too many rounds that are closer to 900 that will never get dropped.

In order to break 1000 wouldn't you need to get your SD smaller (in order to drop those lower ones) by playing consistently at or above 1000?

Any thoughts on the statistical possibility given these ladies play rounds that are rated based on the performance of the Men's Open division?

cgkdisc
Jun 09 2008, 04:47 PM
Their standard deviations are in line with male players in their ratings range. It has nothing to do with being female per se, just the realities of what players in that skill level shoot in terms of standard deviation. I think there's a power factor that will be hard for females to overcome. I think our top women are as fit and strong in the upper body as you'll find in other sports.

However, the one thing I've seen in men at the 1000 level is their ability to smoothly throw midrange discs over 300 feet which gives them that additional accuracy worth at least five shots on championship courses. In addition that upper body power helps them use those discs in low ceiling wooded areas where players like myself who have been in the 950 area for quite a while need to use a sharper edged disc.

mbohn
Jun 09 2008, 04:57 PM
I guess my question is more along the lines of wanting to know what the effect playing the same course as the open men has on a womans rating and if that tends to keep them separated by a certain degree assuming the courses are set up to challenge the men. I wonder if the top ladies did reach 1000+ consistently, then would that mean the men would then be bordering on a 1100+ rating for the Gold standard, thus nullifying the whole issue of reaching 1000 in the first place?

cgkdisc
Jun 09 2008, 05:04 PM
There's nothing magic about women with the same ratings as men. Men at 900-965 are playing the gold courses about as often as the top women. Women do as well as the men in that range. The only difference is that women play more like masters and older players at that rating range than young guys in that range. They are slightly better on technical holes and the young guys are slightly better on more open holes where power plays a bigger role.

mbohn
Jun 09 2008, 05:43 PM
I agree that there is nothing magic about women who have the same ratings as men, they can play, and play good too. But someone asked the question, which Pro Woman will break the 1000 rating level. My question is, if so will the men be playing a an even higher level by then? From what you are saying the answers are:

1) Yes, they will and can break 1000.

2) And No, men will be the same as they are now, but will always play slightly better than a woman because of more power on the bigger shots.

cgkdisc
Jun 09 2008, 05:55 PM
I'm skeptical about a woman breaking 1000 under the current way we calculate ratings. But you never know what kind of physical enhancement processes might be developed and become the norm for future society. I think it's possible a woman might be able to put four rounds together in the next 10 years that average 1000 (or let's just say for 72 holes). That would be a great accomplishment and perhaps another stepping stone I think women might want to strive for in this ratings area. Several have done it for one round with the highest being just under 1040.

mbohn
Jun 09 2008, 06:11 PM
Wow! just think, in the future we might have genetically engineered athletic women (GEAW's). They will be at least 6'-7" and will drive 1000' on average. A 45 footer will be like a tap in because of their super stretch ability. Their average rating will be 1150. This is going to be awesome!

ChrisWoj
Jun 09 2008, 08:04 PM

I doubt that one! Of those playing today Val might get there but I wouldn't be suprised if it will be someone who we don't even know and probably hasn't found the sport yet.

I know of a girl shooting 900+ that picked up her first disc almost exactly a year ago. We'll see how well she progresses.

ChrisWoj
Jun 09 2008, 08:10 PM
I'm skeptical about a woman breaking 1000 under the current way we calculate ratings. But you never know what kind of physical enhancement processes might be developed and become the norm for future society. I think it's possible a woman might be able to put four rounds together in the next 10 years that average 1000 (or let's just say for 72 holes). That would be a great accomplishment and perhaps another stepping stone I think women might want to strive for in this ratings area. Several have done it for one round with the highest being just under 1040.

It can't all be physical. There are some shorter throwers amongst the masters that can put together strings of 1000+ rated rounds, why not the women? Additionally a few of them (read: Val and Des, that I know of) can throw some smooth distance.

cgkdisc
Jun 09 2008, 08:47 PM
It's not just distance but doing it with mid-range that supplies the accuracy. Plus I suspect "stand and deliver" is typically easier/farther for men versus women from an upper body strength standpoint. Putting can make a difference with guys like Dr. Rick shooting around 1000 but with Des and Val matching him for distance off the tee and also Shive out throwing him and yet Peter's hanging around 950 like the women. We're only talking about one throw difference in score every three holes between a 950 and 1000 rated player.

ChrisWoj
Jun 10 2008, 01:02 AM
"ONLY" a one throw difference every three holes, as though thats not much. Ha!

cgkdisc
Jun 10 2008, 08:10 AM
The point is that to the casual observer, it may not look like the 950 player is much different from the 1000 player. Doink a putt from 40 feet every 3rd hole or land 45 feet away versus 25 feet every third hole. When the score is totaled, the 1000 player wins by 5-7 shots but sometimes it really doesn't visually look much different between the players.

the_kid
Jun 10 2008, 08:00 PM
The point is that to the casual observer, it may not look like the 950 player is much different from the 1000 player. Doink a putt from 40 feet every 3rd hole or land 45 feet away versus 25 feet every third hole. When the score is totaled, the 1000 player wins by 5-7 shots but sometimes it really doesn't visually look much different between the players.

Or the other way to go is they look totally different but somehow shoot the same score.

tiltedhalo
Jun 11 2008, 11:02 AM
I agree that it shouldn't be inconceivable for a woman to have a 1000+ rating. Exactly because we have a lot of masters players who can shoot 1000+ and don't have big, booming distance.

I think the strategy would be for a woman to intentionally play courses that play to her strengths. Play high-SSA technical courses and shred them. Avoid big open courses that require 400'+ distance to shoot 1000-rated rounds.

And honestly, I don't think the women in disc golf have hit close to their potential yet for real-world, consistent distance. I'm sure some up-and-comers will get there, but with great form, it doesn't take a tremendous upper body to throw a disc 400'+.

I'm thinking about Mike Sayre because there is another thread up right now, congratulating him for a new baby. But I remember the first time I saw Mike play. He had on a short-sleeved, plaid-pattern button-up shirt tucked into khakis, and he is a little on the short side, a little chubby, short arms, and looks totally unathletic. He is the kid who would have been picked dead last in a pickup basketball game... but you hand him a driver, and he'd walk up and casually put it 400' or 450' with perfect form. And give him a putter and he is basically 100% at 30' and not much worse at 40'... it's not the build, it's the execution of consistent, perfect form. Mike's one of the nicest guy's I've ever met on the course, and seeing him play taught me a lot about not judging people's ability by their appearances.

I have no doubt a woman has the physical ability to match his play and shoot 1000-rated golf... not to downplay Mike at all, but just to say that I've been really surprised that someone doesn't have to be tremendously athletic to kick my tail on the course.

crgadyk
Jun 12 2008, 12:36 PM
Ben Botte recently had a baby girl... she has the gene's to be a crusher :p