BVDisc
May 26 2008, 02:00 PM
I'm curious who the highest rated player without a single ace is. I'm talking no tournament aces, no casual aces, no second shot aces, no aces at all.

I know that in my area I hold that title weighing in with a rating of 971. It got me thinking what the world record would be. Maybe I've got some bragging rights on my hands.

dionarlyn
May 26 2008, 03:25 PM
Not even practice aces Ben! What the heck, I bet you nail one within a week of this post! You have way too much skill not to get lucky and drill some chains!

MTL21676
May 26 2008, 04:34 PM
Find an easy open hole
grab every disc you own
throw them
ace it
go home

Get that monkey off your back.

The_Drake
May 26 2008, 07:17 PM
sorry to burst your bubble but I've got you beat. 980 rated player and still climbing... almost 5 years playing, 0 aces. Oh I've hit every basket on my home course, some multiple times. Its gotten to the point now where I don't get excited no matter how close the shot looks. The one saving grace... my friends say they'd trade their aces for my game any day ;-)

MTL21676
May 26 2008, 07:34 PM
that is just nuts....how in the world do you guys have that much talent and not have any?!?

I'm 982 and I have 25 and I feel that is low.

disc54
May 26 2008, 09:08 PM
that is just nuts....how in the world do you guys have that much talent and not have any?!?

1014 only 26, when I started playing this sport I was taught to play for the 2. 11 of my Aces have come in doubles, my partner is parked & I run for the Ace.

the_kid
May 26 2008, 09:31 PM

1014 only 26, when I started playing this sport I was taught to play for the 2. 11 of my Aces have come in doubles, my partner is parked & I run for the Ace.

Only 26? How long have you been playing?

^^^^^^^^^^^
This guy even hits aces on holes without chains

So far I am at 27 with 6 this year with putters so hopefully I can get to 50 before my 10th year.

The_Drake
May 26 2008, 09:56 PM
Well for me I know I never "go for the ace" unless I'm playing doubles. Like I said before, I have hit over 200 baskets any and all ways you can think of... sidearm, backhand, skip, rollers, off trees, straight in, hyzer, anyhyzer, hard, soft... doesn't matter. They just won't stay in. I know numerous guys at my course who've hit aces within a month of picking up their first piece of plastic... and yes they make fun of me all the time 8-)

disc54
May 26 2008, 10:26 PM

Only 26? How long have you been playing?

^^^^^^^^^^^
This guy even hits aces on holes without chains

So far I am at 27 with 6 this year with putters so hopefully I can get to 50 before my 10th year.

Picked up my first disc on Feb. 21 2001, played off and on that year, became a PDGA member in 2002. Pro after 2003 Am Worlds my first big tournament. I should of held on to my Amateur status for another year to see how I would of done in 2004 Am Worlds. But you know to become a Elite Player YOU HAVE TO COMPETE AGAINST THE BEST.....Its a FACT.... Come On... :D

Pogis
May 27 2008, 10:57 AM
I started playing in late 2003 and only have 8. But thats cause I play Z boaz everyday. :D

dobbins66
May 27 2008, 11:23 AM
I started playing in 2004 and now have 8 - 4 forehand, 2 forehand skips & 2 Thumbers(Same hole with same disc). Zero backhand. Took me over 2 years to get my first.

ChrisWoj
May 27 2008, 12:04 PM
I started playing in late 2003 and only have 8. But thats cause I play Z boaz everyday. :D

Early 2005 and just got to 14... because I play pitch n putts! Hah we've got so many locals with 20+ that have been playing since more recently than me and are only intermediate level players. Local course is nothing but pitch n putt from the shorts.

xterramatt
May 27 2008, 12:53 PM
2002 and have less than 10. 3 of those are at Fewell Park, probably the shortest course in the world.

992 rated

skaZZirf
May 27 2008, 01:01 PM
I have the PDGA single year record(in sanctioned events).
and im rated 988 i think.

MiTTenZZ
May 27 2008, 01:14 PM
995 (might finally hit 1000 after the next update), playing since August 2000, 38 aces including 3 sidearm (one for $640), a few skip aces, multiple backhand, and even one thumber ace (yeah yeah, it was kentwood hole 1 but still a thumber ace.) I've also smashed chains twice lefty but both bounced out.

poisonelf
May 27 2008, 03:10 PM
Started playing in 2004 throwing side arm and thumbers never hit an ace and blew out my elbow at the end of the year. Started back at the end of 2005 (10/10/05) throwing backhand and have hit 55 aces since (i've hit 6 in the last month). Just keep throwing at the basket...they are bound to go in sometime.

Pogis
May 27 2008, 03:39 PM
Started back at the end of 2005 (10/10/05) throwing backhand and have hit 55 aces since (i've hit 6 in the last month).

You make me sick....... :D

poisonelf
May 27 2008, 04:38 PM
Alot of the guys in this area say that. I love collecting that metal club money though :D

Dana
May 27 2008, 07:18 PM
I have the PDGA single year record(in sanctioned events).
and im rated 988 i think.

How many? I think I had 6 sanctioned last year.

skaZZirf
May 27 2008, 08:00 PM
WOW. My record is broken.
I had 5. All pdga events, including one at worlds.

Dana
May 27 2008, 08:46 PM
Just counted and I'm only coming up with 5...
http://www.pdga.com/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=26228&year=2007
1. Dogwood 365 ft
2. HOF roc
3. Pillage roc
4. IL States 375 ft
5. Worlds 345 ft

All 3 of those 300+ ft aces were with the same tbird.

Well, I guess we share the record. Unless I can remember another ace.

ChrisWoj
May 27 2008, 08:47 PM
Started playing in 2004 throwing side arm and thumbers never hit an ace and blew out my elbow at the end of the year. Started back at the end of 2005 (10/10/05) throwing backhand and have hit 55 aces since (i've hit 6 in the last month). Just keep throwing at the basket...they are bound to go in sometime.

Standing at a basket and unloading your bag aces don't count, Landon ;)

pterodactyl
May 27 2008, 11:01 PM
I thought I was going to read a thread about anti-braggers! :p

bravo
May 28 2008, 10:13 AM
played ball golf for ten years no aces.
in the first year of disc golf i caught 5 aces.
now i am at 14 aces total and only one of witch is sanctioned play.
im currently playing in my third summer.
i save all my ace disc in hommage, and replace them with an exact match weight. some of my replacement disc have been in my
bag less than two weeks before they have been retired.
the idea of holing out in one is why i love this game.
i am a believer in that an ace is a bad shot cought by the chains,because the come back on ace runs usually creates a three or worse.

cgkdisc
May 28 2008, 10:26 AM
In most sports, good events such as homerun baseballs or touchdown footballs are immortalized. Ironic that in our sport we immortalize "bad shots" by retiring ace discs. :)

anita
May 28 2008, 11:13 AM

Yes, it has turned into a list of aces instead of a list of folks without aces. :D

skaZZirf
May 28 2008, 11:13 AM
Ive never retired an ace disc.
Funny story. I played with a guy last month in a two round monthly. First round he aced a hole using a sidewinder. Next round, same hole, he used a valkyrie. Got a four. Very confusing.

jefferson
May 28 2008, 11:29 AM

Yes, it has turned into a list of aces instead of a list of folks without aces. :D

yeah, who could've started that?

ANHYZER
May 28 2008, 12:41 PM
In most sports, good events such as homerun baseballs or touchdown footballs are immortalized. Ironic that in our sport we immortalize "bad shots" by retiring ace discs. :)

An ace is not always a bad shot, most of my aces were good shots, maybe would have been 10'-15' beyond the basket...What does it matter if your 15' short or 15' long? You still have a 15 footer for birdie. Most of my aces are in the 300'-350' range, some under 300' and some over 400'...

cgkdisc
May 28 2008, 12:52 PM
An ace is not always a bad shot

Agreed, especially when your partner in doubles is already there for a drop-in or there's a backdrop like a hillside right behind the pin.

the_kid
May 28 2008, 12:58 PM

Agreed, especially when your partner in doubles is already there for a drop-in or there's a backdrop like a hillside right behind the pin.

Or if you say "Hey I am going to put this in..............ching!" It probably was intentional.

stack
May 28 2008, 01:06 PM
might start a new thread for this but was curious about the 'highest rated w/o a sponsorship' (Steve Rico - 1030?)

cgkdisc
May 28 2008, 01:06 PM
Oh, and there are those intentional ace runs when a player is out of the running for cashing in the latter rounds.

the_kid
May 28 2008, 01:08 PM
Oh, and there are those intentional ace runs when a player is out of the running for cashing in the latter rounds.

Never done that before. Never thought it was in good taste either.

phluffhead
May 28 2008, 01:18 PM
It's better than a DNF or TMF (in cack)

the_kid
May 28 2008, 01:19 PM
It's better than a DNF or TMF (in cack)

Well if you have basically quit trying to play you might as well have DNFed.

dgdave
May 28 2008, 02:28 PM
my 415ft ace was a good shot. it took the exact line i had invisioned in my head whe i was lining up the shot. ive had a few bad shots that went in for aces

JHBlader86
May 28 2008, 04:57 PM
might start a new thread for this but was curious about the 'highest rated w/o a sponsorship' (Steve Rico - 1030?)

Doesnt he choose not to be sponsored though?

poisonelf
May 28 2008, 05:15 PM
Isn't he sponsored by maceman..i know at one time he was sponsored by discraft

May 28 2008, 05:37 PM
If someone out there with a 950+ rating has more ball golf aces than discgolf aces please let me know. I am willing to bet there is no other in the world. I have 3 ball golf aces and 1, yes 1 discgolf ace.

pterodactyl
May 30 2008, 01:36 AM
That's crazy!

stack
May 30 2008, 02:04 AM
If someone out there with a 950+ rating has more ball golf aces than discgolf aces please let me know. I am willing to bet there is no other in the world. I have 3 ball golf aces and 1, yes 1 discgolf ace.

We have someone around here who has 3 ball golf and 0 disc golf aces. Richard Ronemus rated 955

and I have a lot of thumber aces that weren't bad shots gone good... they were all right on target! :)

May 30 2008, 01:21 PM
Wow, someone else who hit the 1 in a million shot 3 times and the 1 in a 1000 shot zero!! I gotta shake his hand. I haven't had an ace in 6 years...

ChrisWoj
May 31 2008, 12:54 AM

Or if you say "Hey I am going to put this in..............ching!" It probably was intentional.

I have one of those. They feel sooo good when they're on the last hole of a money round, for the win. (and if you do 51, it turns a $5 money round win into a $10 round!)

gwstrider
May 31 2008, 10:27 AM

An Ace is a bad shot? What non-sense! All you great golfers out there should try to design your shot to accomplish both goals...Ace first but stay close enough if you missed to make the putt! It will also give you more aces since you aren't thowing a 350ft shot at a 300ft hole which is too hard to stay in the chains most times!

Also...if you want more aces...play shorter courses! :eek:

Aces 2 U all!
PS: one ball golf Ace! :p
Ben

halton
Jun 01 2008, 01:50 AM
Charlie Helms hit a ball golf ace and a disc golf ace in the same day:eek:
(#18 Hickory and some ball golf course in Hickory)

the_kid
Jun 01 2008, 02:04 AM
Charlie Helms hit a ball golf ace and a disc golf ace in the same day:eek:
(#18 Hickory and some ball golf course in Hickory)

Hey I have done that as well. Of course it was on Tiger woods 08' but still pretty cool. :p

I will be extremely happy when one of those nice shots on a par three actually rolls in for an ace however it would probably be my last.

BVDisc
Jun 01 2008, 01:33 PM
So it looks like I need to raise my rating at least 9 more points to hold the crown.

I did hit chains at the Sisters Shootout last weekend with my gator but no love. The week before that I put on off the top of the basket. At this point I think it's almost more amusing to see how long I can go and how high I can get my rating without getting an ace.

Most of the courses I play aren't particularly conducive to acing but there are definitely some opportunities. I've definitely blown some chains up but it's never stuck.

So I guess I'm coming for you Drake. :D

sjkeinath
Jun 25 2008, 10:40 AM
I got my first ball golf ace in the KY State High School Golf Championship, but......still no DG aces. (940 rated).

I have achieved a feat that I think may be rare. I shot a 68 in ball golf and a 6 down in disc golf on the same day.

I'm curious, who out there has the highest DG rating and lowest USGA handicap? I'm 940 and a +3.

Stephen

sjkeinath
Jul 01 2008, 03:33 PM
Had another ace run fall out this morning. This one teased as it tettered on the rim of the basket and fell out. Easy deuce.

magilla
Jul 01 2008, 08:51 PM
So far I am at 27 with 6 this year with putters

Sounds like you need to try playing a REAL course once in awhile....PUTTERS??? Get real?? Oh thats right you live in Texas, only a few courses even worth playing... :p

:D

magilla
Jul 01 2008, 08:53 PM

Steve has ALOT of sponsors, Just NOT from a Disc Company.
:D:D

the_kid
Jul 01 2008, 08:55 PM

Sounds like you need to try playing a REAL course once in awhile....PUTTERS??? Get real?? Oh thats right you live in Texas, only a few courses even worth playing... :p

It is 28 now. I must say the holes I am aceing with putters you would probably be throwing Rocs on. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

magilla
Jul 01 2008, 08:57 PM

It is 28 now. I must say the holes I am acing with putters you would probably be throwing Rocs on. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Scoot....I can throw ANY DISC from your bag FURTHER than you.
/msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

the_kid
Jul 01 2008, 08:59 PM

It is 28 now. I must say the holes I am acing with putters you would probably be throwing Rocs on. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'd hope so; I don't fly very far.

magilla
Jul 01 2008, 09:04 PM

I'd hope so; I don't fly very far.

I'd happily take ALL your money at first opportunity.

the_kid
Jul 01 2008, 09:05 PM
I can throw farther than most think especially with this new plastic.