Plankeye
May 20 2008, 01:39 PM
I don't know why but it seems like the Rhyno is the only putter that I have had any success using as a long approach/short drive disc. It seems like it is the only disc that I can get a consistant release and flight out of. Other putters I usually grip lock it and shank it badly.

Why does this happen? I dunno...any thoughts?

CRUISER
May 20 2008, 01:42 PM
Probably because the rhyno is a much lower profile disc than most putters. There's less for your fingers to get hung up on. What kind of grip are you using?

Plankeye
May 20 2008, 01:44 PM
That is what i thought too, but I throw a champ gator too which has a tall profile...

CRUISER
May 20 2008, 01:45 PM
Not even close to an aviar though...

atxdiscgolfer
May 20 2008, 02:02 PM
the Rhyno is a great approach disc and putter but I dont throw a Rhyno off the teebox.I recently switched to a Challenger for a main putter but I still use a Rhyno for specialty shots and upshots that dont require so much "touch".

Plankeye
May 20 2008, 02:34 PM
When I talk about using a rhyno as a driver, I am talking about drives less than 200 ft.

JHBlader86
May 21 2008, 01:12 AM
Rhyno's have a shallow rim, thus making a better grip IMO, and with it's overstability gives it the ability to be thrown at higher speeds. At least from my experience using Rhyno's in the past.

okcacehole
May 21 2008, 01:16 AM
http://www.lostgravity.com/images/LG157_1.jpg

Paul Taylor
May 21 2008, 01:31 AM
I will have to agree with the lower profile. This was the disc that I was using about a year ago for everything that you described and because of the same reasons. Only problem was that it would not turn over very easily when I need to go left to right.

Try the SINUS from Latitude for the stable to overstable shots and the SPIKE for the straight and also the left to right (anny) shot. For me these are the discs that I need for those pinpoint accuracy shots and ones that will not roll away.

All of my other discs are MILLENNIUM, can't beat the combination.

I have also figured something else out, if it doesn't go where it was suppose to....it's his fault. :o :D :D

mikeP
May 21 2008, 09:58 AM
I don't know why but it seems like the Rhyno is the only putter that I have had any success using as a long approach/short drive disc. It seems like it is the only disc that I can get a consistant release and flight out of. Other putters I usually grip lock it and shank it badly.

Why does this happen? I dunno...any thoughts?

The Rhino may be the only putter out there that you can just grip and rip like a driver. Most other putters require a very clean release to be thrown hard. Try slowing down, relaxing your grip, and putting some height on your putter shots and you should be able to throw any putter straight and hard. Putters are way more overstable than people know when given a clean release and a little hyzer. I can throw my FLX Z Challenger as hard as I can with a little hyzer and it does not even flip flat. Give me a slightly beat Aviar, Wizard, Challenger, etc and neutral wind conditions and they will go 350' + all day, and if you hit it right there will be no turn or fade in your shot. Just up, forward, then down. With a little tailwind those same throws can carry 400'+.

Plankeye
May 21 2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah i have tried the slowing down thing but when I do that I usually release too early(kinda of a timing issue)...

mikeP
May 22 2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah I know what you mean about the releasing early issue. One thing I make sure to do to help with that is to focus on the snap or release. Even when you slow down you still want a strong, clean snap and a smooth follow through. I still use my power grip with putters, but I cradle the disc more than I grab it.

atxdiscgolfer
May 22 2008, 09:48 AM
I agree with everything that you are suggesting but what is the advantage of throwing a putter 350' or 400' over throwing a midrange shot. seems like a waste of effort to me.

bazkitcase5
May 22 2008, 11:04 AM
putters/midranges skip less at the end, they hold their line better, and the flight is very predictable when you have properly learned how to throw them

and for some, it can be a timing issue - for me personally, I feel like I hit my lines better when I can throw at a good 80-90% power (never a 100%, unless accuracy does not matter) - therefore, I would rather throw a putter or midrange at 80-90% power instead of a driver at 50% power (assuming its a hole where your line is forced and you can't just throw a big hyzer instead)

TravisBlase
May 22 2008, 12:27 PM
DX Rhyno's beat in nicely if you are looking for that right-turning putter off of the tee. I have a couple that are super and predictably understable at this point.

circle_2
May 22 2008, 01:26 PM
Rhynos are amazingly stable - straight stable - off the tee. I think they get their (undeserved) overstable reputation due to their ability to hold a hyzer line well AND their ability to tackle headwinds. Rhynos don't usually fly very far...but into a headwind they have amazed me more than once with their lack of fade AND their persistent headwind~glide.

Long live the RHYNO! :cool: Bring back the old soft SE f-l-a-t Rhynos...

boredatwork
May 22 2008, 03:33 PM
I agree, champ or SE the only good rhyno is a FLAT rhyno!

perica
May 22 2008, 06:23 PM
ever play with marc estenfelder? its just rhynos and firebirds all day long.

BrandonYoung
May 22 2008, 09:13 PM
The rhyno is a good alternitive to the Tank. The tank is the #1 driving putter, if only they still made the tank.

Plankeye
May 23 2008, 06:38 AM
I would hope so because the tank is just a beadless rhyno :)

but I am sure you already knew that :)

mikeP
May 23 2008, 11:05 AM
I agree with everything that you are suggesting but what is the advantage of throwing a putter 350' or 400' over throwing a midrange shot. seems like a waste of effort to me.

First of all, it is good training for cleaning up your snap/release mechanics. Mids and drivers can hide mechanical problems that factor into more abstract parts of your game such as consistency. Putters reveal any off-axis torque in you release as well as other problems.

As far as scoring in a round of disc golf goes, you are right in that you usually want to throw a mid instead of a putter for shots over 350'. There are times when having the putter drive option in your game can be beneficial. First example is for tailwinds. Instead of throwing a beat driver that is very nose angle sensitive and could bail out in either direction, throw a putter high and flat and let it ride. It will fly truer (less turn and fade) than any other disc. It will lock on to the wind direction for 95% of its flight. Another situation where the true flight of a putter can save you strokes off the tee is on downhill shots. Discs that have a lot of fade or need to be nose down to penetrate can be liabilities on downhill shots. If you know what you're doing with your putter you can use the natural drop in the disc's flight to throw straight down at your target. Uphill shots are good with a putter as well because it is easier to get them flying straight with the nose up. The other situation I think of right now where a putter is the best option is for throwing high shots over things a coming straight down. A putter can be thrown so that it gets up high in a nose down position (either a flippy putter w/hyzer or a stable one with anny) over an obstacle, and then drops straight down and forward as the disc returns to a flat/neutral position in the air.

baldguy
May 23 2008, 11:17 AM
few people really know the art of driving with a putter. Although I can't get my JK Aviars out past about 350', I use them for nearly every shot inside of 250. I'm getting to the point in my game that the only time I need drivers is for headwind, skip, flick, roller or thumber shots. 80% of my drives are now midrange or putter and I have reliably shaved a few strokes off of my score by making this change. I don't get quite as far down the longer fairways since I'm only throwing my midranges about 370-380, but everything is much more controlled and predictable. no more unexpected skip-aways and no more accidental nose-up short shots. now, when I do throw a driver, my form is somewhat corrected and it just feels like a more natural throw. mastering the putter drive has fixed other parts of my game.

bottom line - at least for me, forcing myself to use primarily putters and midranges for driving has improved my game significantly. It's worth a try, for sure.

Giles
May 23 2008, 11:29 AM
I'm only throwing my midranges about 270-280,

fixed this for you BBD. :D

baldguy
May 23 2008, 12:35 PM
hoser :)

BrandonYoung
May 23 2008, 01:39 PM
No, I think it is the other way around, the rhyno is just a beaded tank. ;)

Plankeye
May 25 2008, 08:48 PM
It will be interesting to see how Innova's new "Pig" will fly. It is supposed to be very similar to the Rhyno

atxdiscgolfer
Jun 11 2008, 09:34 PM
the Pig? when is it coming out?