sandalbagger
May 11 2008, 04:10 PM
Moraine State Park DGC, Portersville, PA
Last Updated by Rizbee on May 2
Ok, so today I got to Morraine State Park, in Portersville, PA. (finally, the directions sucked and sent me 4 miles off because of bad park signage, I will try to update them!)
It was about noon, cloudy with a chance of rain. On hole #1 right after I drove, Zach Zimmel (Zimnuts on here, I got him to sign up) showed up to play a round and catch up with his friends, so I joined them as my guide. This course is SICK, one of new favorites. Every hole is unique, full of par 4's and 5's. It is a true Par 66 for 18 holes, with the record being 58 I was told. Considering I began 2,3,3,4,2...I had a goal to beat 66.
I got to bomb huge drives down tunnels and over tree lines all day, it's a blast.
I finished at 65, 3'ing the 550' or so hole 18, which is downhill, 10' wide, has OB creek roped off before and behind the basket. My drive was superb, flipped up straight and flew down the gut all the way to about 80' short, middle fairway with my Champ. Orc, which now goes back in the bag.
Check out the pics, they might ALL be online tonight, one for every shot on the course, walk your way through it.
Oh and Zach ACED #13 short, about 230' 5' wide tunnel, sidearm. He was stoked like no other. He joined the site right after the round, so look him up and congratulate him on the ace. "Zimnuts"

jmc2442
May 13 2008, 10:54 AM
Discgolfersr.us is blocked at my work. could someone get the review of Deer Lakes from Ben and post that too?... I know he played there as well because his signs are posted on the bulletin board

Jeff_LaG
May 13 2008, 11:08 AM
Here it is:

Next on to Deer Park in Tarentum, PA. Another sick Par 64 type world class course. Neither this or Morraine have concrete yet, but both had great signs. Morraine is getting concrete and another 18 holes soon btw.
Deer park has 3-5 weird, too tight, no fairway holes over 500', but other than that it is top notch. Extremely long, winding tunnel shots mixed with hilly grassy field bombs through a park setting. I can't believe the caliber of these courses around here.
I played 7-18 with a newbie from out of town also, who came up to ask how to find #7 (ha). I showed his some things, and watched as his putting improved and he began throwing farther in just one round. He Parred a Par 4 long tee, then a par 3 long tee to finish!

Be glad he was in a relatively good mood when he played your courses. As moved his way through PA, he made some really harsh comments that upset A LOT of people when he gave very negative reviews of courses in eastern Pennsylvania.

sandalbagger
May 13 2008, 03:12 PM
My buddies played the round at Moraine with him, and they said he just kept telling them how awesome the course is. Said Moraine was definitely in his top 5 of favorite courses.

Looks like his review of Deer Lakes is about the same I would give :)

I love Deer Lakes so much and play very well there, but there are those few holes that just take away from it's greatness. I wish that we could rework a few of those holes, but I'm sure most would feel it is too late to do so.

Oh yeah.....Hopefully I will be building a new 9 or 18 hole course at Clear Creek State Park.

alexfore
May 13 2008, 10:33 PM
You should see the mediocre courses in LA. I haven't played one yet that wasn't compromised.

Oak Grove: short and outdated, unsafe, dusty as all hell. Only plus is that it is 1/2 mile from work.

Sylmar (steve rico's course): short, wide open. Some interesting shots. A rooster crowing can be heard on half of the holes!?

La Mirada: unsafe, mostly wide open. Some holes are stupid unsafe, like the one where you throw down a 20 foot wide swath of grass between a parking lot and a sidewalk -- after the side walk is a 4 lane 35 mph street!

Whittier: boring wide open shot after wide open shot. At least it ain't short.

El Dorado: Whittier with a few hills.

Chavez ridge (very recent course): very short, crammed into a ridge near dodger stadium.

Northside park: 9 holes crammed into a city block size patch of grass. I left immediately.

temp course I played in a tourny last weekend had mandos (unmarked) on like half the holes to keep people from throwing hyzering out over the sidewalk and busy street. ivy was OB on like 4 holes (which was not roped off or marked in any way). These guys out here want to put in a full 18 at this small park, which is already fully utilized by the community.

jmc2442
May 14 2008, 09:18 AM
^^^ this is everywhere.

The more I read reviews and articles and the more I experience for myself, the more I realize we are so lucky in southwestern PA.

kUrTp
May 14 2008, 09:26 AM
This reminds me of the pictures Ditz took of the courses in Flordia.

gotcha
May 14 2008, 09:37 AM
I can't believe the caliber of these courses around here.

^ ^ ^ That's my favorite quote from BC's review of the 'burgh.

Alex.....nice write-up on those So-Cal courses! :D

jmc2442
May 14 2008, 09:59 AM
I can't believe the caliber of these courses around here.

^ ^ ^ That's my favorite quote from BC's review of the 'burgh.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2492375354_f72c80d5ba.jpg