westcoastsooner
May 08 2008, 03:20 PM
Please Support This 1st Time event.September 6th 2008
In the City of San Luis Obispo,Beautiful Central Coast California.
It's Ratings based Event for Amateurs ONLY.

dmpdisc
May 08 2008, 03:45 PM
I once stayed at Cal Poly for a week during football camp, and often stop at the In-n-Out there when on the way back from Dela.

Wish I could attend, I'm sure the country side will be beautiful at that time. Unfortunately, We also host our Pro/Am for the Sun Valley Open that weekend. Also noticed something in Norcal in Oroville...or is that your event?

csrenda79
May 08 2008, 05:30 PM
Talk about scheduling conflicts. The Laguna Lake Launch, the End of the Trail Classic and the Sun Valley Open are all on the same weekend. Doesn't the PDGA have some kind of system to prevent this? I know the US Masters is the week after, but what makes the least sense about it is there doesn't appear to be an event on the schedule in Cali for the weekend prior (Aug. 30-31), or the weekend after US Masters (Sept. 20-21). I will be playing the Sun Valley Open that weekend, but were there no scheduling conflicts, I would be playing all 3. I have heard other people express similar concerns to me, so if you TD's want to increase turnout you should get together and move things around.

dmpdisc
May 08 2008, 08:34 PM
whoa there Carl...

I'm sure everyone is doing the best they can. I happen to know Norcal and SoCal "try" to coordinate where possible. When the SVO picked our weekend, it was the "ugly" weekend that no one wanted. Now even our weekend is getting crowed. Turns out Vasalia reschedule from Oct. onto our weekend, Oriville??? and I don't think Laguna Lake may have known 3 other events are scheduled in Cali...it does get hard to find an opening.

That said, I still don't think you will shoot under at the SVO so maybe you should play up north /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just kid'n...I too would like to play all 3.

Vasalia is nice I hear, but flat. I bet Laguna Lake is real nice, tucked in and around the golden-rolling hills of NorCal.

csrenda79
May 08 2008, 08:50 PM
Mabye I was a little carried away there, but I do have a point about the available weekends. It is far enough in advance that if TD's wished to make a change it would be possible. I was going to play Visalia for sure until I found out it was the same weekend. It makes sense that it was a reschedule because I thought at first it was on an available date.

As for the SVO, I wouldn't miss it. You can keep saying i'm not going to shoot under, but I know what i'm capable of and you can bet I will be focused. For me the question is not whether or not I shoot under, but how far. I shot par in the SVO monthly, and it was the first time I played the layout in 6 months. I'm going to have more practice on the layout and have a game plan for every hole. Only time will tell...

dmpdisc
May 08 2008, 10:01 PM
I know you'll play well. I wonder what will win this year.

Anyhow, back to the Laguna thread.

westcoastsooner
May 09 2008, 12:02 AM
Many Choices on that weekend..
This is the First Tournament in San Luis Obispo..
New Course..

Just think the man who put the patent on the Frisbee is from this County...Spin iTT

evan_lost
May 11 2008, 05:21 PM
Its great to see a new course going up, anytime of the year! I hope there is enough players out there with all the other tournaments pulling their locals back towards their home courses.
2nd year of the SVO should be a great tournament. Last years inaugural event went well, and I can't wait to see any changes made to this years event.

The universities are back in session that week, making for another terrible scheduling conflict. Go School!

rizbee
May 12 2008, 01:10 AM
Laguna Lake is a fun course - made much more difficult when the wind kicks up off the lake. I played it back in November on my way back from a conference in Monterey. Flat. Front nine is shortish and mostly open, with a few shots weaving around pines. Back nine is much tighter, more trees, and there's a cool shot along the side of a rocky hillside. It should be a popular event.

I've only played the 1st Visalia course, which was enjoyable. Also flat, save for one hole with the basket on or behind a man-made hill. Decent length playing through some neat big trees. Kind of like LaMa if all of the elevation change was taken away. Rhett played the second course in the park and said it was like Yogi - a bear, yet fun.

As for scheduling, I know that Tim Selinske, the Southern California PDGA Regional Coordinator, conferences with his NorCal counterpart to schedule the SoCal-sanctioned tournament dates. Central Valley, I believe, is more on their own since most events are not PDGA-sanctioned, but I'm sure they watch the NorCal schedule since many players hit both series' events. Amazingly, the game is starting to get big enough where there will be events on the same weekend within a few hundred miles. Remember, we just got done playing a 1-day with 96 players on a temp. course. Fields will fill - we can't make schedules to fit our personal desires to play everything. (Haven't we had this discussion about San Diego?)

discette
May 12 2008, 10:17 AM
As for scheduling, I know that Tim Selinske, the Southern California PDGA Regional Coordinator, conferences with his NorCal counterpart to schedule the SoCal-sanctioned tournament dates. Central Valley, I believe, is more on their own since most events are not PDGA-sanctioned, but I'm sure they watch the NorCal schedule since many players hit both series' events.

Actually, this year the NorCal representative did not coordinate any of the 2008 schedule with Tim or So Cal. There are just too many events in both regions and most do not draw from the same player base. CVS and Visalia would generally coordinate with Nor Cal and San Luis Obispo with So Cal. While there are plenty of players to handle multiple events on the same weekend, the SLO event will most likely be drawing from the same pool as the Visalia event. The players in Bakersfield will actually have a choice to make that weekend.

rizbee
May 12 2008, 02:14 PM
I stand corrected! Thanks for the info, Suzette. I guess the lack of coordination is an output (as you point out) of lots of events, which is a good thing.

westcoastsooner
May 15 2008, 02:16 AM
True there are a few choices the weekend of this event.

This event is a Ratings event how many of those have there been in this State?

Being it's a Ratings based event it's Different than the other Events going on that weekend.

I'm just going to encourge everybody to try this event.

The most fun WINS!

Spin iTT

discette
May 15 2008, 09:37 AM
It would be great if this event could be a part of the So Cal Series. I would love to play in a ratings event and I think lots of So Cal Ams would travel to this event if it were held on a different weekend.

westcoastsooner
May 15 2008, 10:17 AM
yes that would be awesome to be part of the So Cal events.Just trying to get the event established.Next year could work with So Cal and game on....
Spin iTT

westcoastsooner
Jun 24 2008, 12:22 AM
Here is a website for anyone interested in Coming to this ratings Based event.http://www.slodiscgolf.org/

pnkgtr
Aug 01 2008, 04:50 PM
I played Laguna a few months ago. I was really happy that they have a "full sized" course there now but that has to be the poorest course design ever. The day I played everything was in the long positions. Walking 100 yards (or more) from one pin to the next tee, several wide open 425' shots, uneven and rocky tee pads. Someone should have consulted the designer for Santa Maria or Atascadero for the Laguna course. I'll only play there because it's the only game in town but if I have time I'm going to Santa Maria or Atascadero.

My 2 cents.

westcoastsooner
Aug 04 2008, 01:58 AM
Please let the Club guys who Desiged that course they could use some feed back. slothrowers .com ...I think I've tried to let them know..Hey nobody wants to listen to the O' guy whos played from coast to coast.....

Spin iTT

westcoastsooner
Aug 04 2008, 02:00 AM
1st Laguna Lake Launch Canceled
September 06, 2008 San Luis Obispo, California

rizbee
Aug 04 2008, 11:48 AM
1st Laguna Lake Launch Canceled
September 06, 2008 San Luis Obispo, California

????????

csrenda79
Aug 04 2008, 02:41 PM
Here's an idea. Instead of cancelling a tournament most SoCal players would have probably played if it weren't a scheduling conflict, why don't you work with SoCal Disc Golf on it and pick a date that doesn't conflict with the NorCal and SoCal schedules, and i'm sure there would be some players that would be willing to help with any design issues. The end of the year is always dead as far as scheduling, and the month of October is pretty much dead with the exception of the Coyote Classic and the Montiel Ace Race.