Big E
May 05 2008, 04:40 PM
I went to may fest this weekend and they had proposed development of Gateway park and they had Disc golf on there.... but they did not have any info on it I left the paper I got from them with the web site on it I will post it when I get home! But still exciting to see this developing! Is this what FunkyTown got started by going to the city last year?

Big E
May 05 2008, 04:47 PM
Trinity River Project (http://www.trinityrivervision.org/TRVWeb/App_Pages/Projects/Map_Gateway.aspx) This is a link to the map they had displayed it is kind of hard to see but it is next to the mountain bike course on the right side of the map!

my_hero
May 05 2008, 04:51 PM
Is this what FunkyTown got started by going to the city last year?

Yes. They said this would be close to 10 years from now.

Big E
May 05 2008, 05:00 PM

:confused:

dryhistory
May 05 2008, 05:28 PM

the whole project, not necessarily the DG curse, i mean course :D

my_hero
May 05 2008, 05:45 PM

Yes. They said this would be completed close to 10 years from now.

the whole project, not necessarily the DG curse, i mean course :D

Teague, hold your breath. Everyone else, please don't hold your breath. You will die. :D

okcacehole
May 05 2008, 07:41 PM
you mean that one labeled Frisbee Golf :)

inHg
May 10 2008, 12:11 AM
Let me clarify the skinny on Gateway. Gilbert Casas is the man to thank. He got the signatures and funkytown, well I don't know they just gave up? . All Gateway needs is funds and the first course can be in in a couple of months. I applied for a 50/50 matching funds grant last year for another park and the city teamed Gilbert and I up and gave us enough land for two courses at Gateway but the grant won't be enough. With some help from local golfers (in funds and labor-that is-not talk and opinions) we could get a course in on the west side of the river to help raise funds for the east side which would be championship caliber. Gilbert and I talked with Houck personally and for a consulting fee he will assist me in designing. For those who don't know me I and my bandmates/business partners (inches of mercury and iom disc golf) put in North park in Haltom city and greenbriar community center which will be 18 holes soon. I don't want to sound harsh but there is way too much discussion amongst local golfers and no action, I have worked with two cities now putting in courses and i have learned a few things, We need dependable representation!!!!!Warm bodies at every park meeting demanding more park space for disc golf.
for example look at all the soccer fields; this happens because soccer moms/dads show up in droves to every meeting and not only are they awarded space but complete funding as well. Hell, skateboarders just got awarded a 2.5 million dollar skatepark for Gateway, Why? they attended meetings in large numbers and the city has no choice. So with elections coming for Funkytown remember elect people with the time and fortitude to put disc golf on the cities agenda. It is quite simple, we have to increase awareness and work together. So when you read a post for a work day at gateway or whatever--SHOW UP or SHUT UP. If you don't help your opinion will be ignored. Take pride in and take care of our existing courses or we will never be given respect. Like it or not these are the facts. Pick up your trash don't throw your cigarette butts on the ground :confused:. Limit your consumption and don't create so much trash where it overflows out of trash cans. If you must drink so much take the cans home and recycle. I know alot of golfers are responsible and this is not directed at these guys but when we see it happening we need to speak up and embarrass the dumbasses who are hindering our progress as a community. :mad:

I will now step off my soap box but I think this needed to be said.

peace----Bran

dryhistory
May 10 2008, 10:30 PM
word

and thanks for your hard work brandon, we all benefit from it,

Big E
May 11 2008, 01:20 AM
Let me clarify the skinny on Gateway. Gilbert Casas is the man to thank. He got the signatures and funkytown, well I don't know they just gave up? . All Gateway needs is funds and the first course can be in in a couple of months. I applied for a 50/50 matching funds grant last year for another park and the city teamed Gilbert and I up and gave us enough land for two courses at Gateway but the grant won't be enough. With some help from local golfers (in funds and labor-that is-not talk and opinions) we could get a course in on the west side of the river to help raise funds for the east side which would be championship caliber. Gilbert and I talked with Houck personally and for a consulting fee he will assist me in designing. For those who don't know me I and my bandmates/business partners (inches of mercury and iom disc golf) put in North park in Haltom city and greenbriar community center which will be 18 holes soon. I don't want to sound harsh but there is way too much discussion amongst local golfers and no action, I have worked with two cities now putting in courses and i have learned a few things, We need dependable representation!!!!!Warm bodies at every park meeting demanding more park space for disc golf.
for example look at all the soccer fields; this happens because soccer moms/dads show up in droves to every meeting and not only are they awarded space but complete funding as well. Hell, skateboarders just got awarded a 2.5 million dollar skatepark for Gateway, Why? they attended meetings in large numbers and the city has no choice. So with elections coming for Funkytown remember elect people with the time and fortitude to put disc golf on the cities agenda. It is quite simple, we have to increase awareness and work together. So when you read a post for a work day at gateway or whatever--SHOW UP or SHUT UP. If you don't help your opinion will be ignored. Take pride in and take care of our existing courses or we will never be given respect. Like it or not these are the facts. Pick up your trash don't throw your cigarette butts on the ground :confused:. Limit your consumption and don't create so much trash where it overflows out of trash cans. If you must drink so much take the cans home and recycle. I know alot of golfers are responsible and this is not directed at these guys but when we see it happening we need to speak up and embarrass the dumbasses who are hindering our progress as a community. :mad:

I will now step off my soap box but I think this needed to be said.

peace----Bran

So when is the next work day? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Also how much money needs to be raised just asking for a ball park figure

inHg
May 12 2008, 07:14 PM
Your welcome Teague, to bad we sucked on Sunday moving to first for a few holes in the morning just to fall to sixth at the final hole. :o

inHg
May 12 2008, 07:37 PM
We have one more city person to meet with before we can go full force with work days so stay tuned. As far as funds, as much as we can get :D. We need enough for 18 concrete tees which the cost is dependent on how much of the work we can do ourselves and equipment rental: an auger $80, mulcher-chipper $150, anyone got a good riding mower?
Anyway these are the types of things we need. The grant covers 18 baskets and the extras are what we are short. Gilbert and I want to organize a meeting with all those interested in helping and put together a collective battle plan. I will post that info once we know.
Any ideas you would like to discuss? Anyone feel welcome to call me, the more help we have the better.
Brandon 682-478-9231

inHg
May 20 2008, 04:42 PM
Today was a good day. I attended the council meeting this morning and I was officially awarded the grant for the 18 baskets for the west course at Gateway. Anyone interested in helping in anyway please message me or call 682.478.9231 so I can begin making a list of what we have and what we need to get the course in the ground by the end of June before it gets too scorching-ly Hot!! Donated time(labor), money, resources, ideas - all are needed and welcome. This course will be the maker or breaker for the future of Ft. Worth Disc golf. Those who really care about this should step-up and help in anyway they can. I have already began working on grants for next year and the more successful this course is the bigger the grants will be in the future.

karateputter
May 20 2008, 04:57 PM
Congrats Brandon!

woote01
May 20 2008, 05:33 PM
You can count the wootang clan to help B! Good work and big Props for all you efforts!
http://hometown.aol.com.au/Wubloodkin1979/imagegallery/coversgallery1/canitbewutangaint_front.jpg
:cool:

demrick
May 21 2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks Brandon for your continued hard work to push disc golf on the west side of DFW. I sent you a PM a little while ago.

inHg
May 23 2008, 02:00 AM
Workdays for Gateway are now set. June 1st and June 8th. 10 am till whenever we have had enough. Come out earlier to work when it is cooler out. I will be there at 8am.
Also Nascardave has a mulcher and other equipment and needs help transporting them to the park. Anyone got a truck?

peace

dryhistory
May 23 2008, 04:07 PM
i guess that means your not playing waco Brandon? :D

inHg
May 23 2008, 05:55 PM
I know tough break for me but time is crucial for Gateway.
Also it is understandable that some can't make it out to help becuase of upcoming events but I will be there every Sunday from now on till it is complete. Anyone interested in helping get daves equipment out there this sunday?

DGBAMA92
May 23 2008, 06:04 PM
I can help. Saturday I'm playing Rockwall.This Sunday I can help get things rolling. I will be at Haltom tonight if you want to touch base then. Yes I have a Truck. Playing Rockwall and Waco though.

demrick
May 23 2008, 06:55 PM
Big Dave, I'll see you at Haltom tonight too.

inHg
May 24 2008, 12:13 AM
The entrance leading to disc golf is off of 1st st. Go east on 1st from beach street--(north of I30 and south of hwy121)
Follow to park entrance on right. parking lot is on left by soccer fields that are under construction. 10am on sunday. This is the web address for mapquest.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Beach+St+%26+E+1st+St+Ft+Worth+TX+76111/

Thanks everyone

inHg
May 25 2008, 10:31 PM
Here is the current draft of the potential layout for Gateway East and West. :D
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/incheshg/fulllayout.jpg

Pogis
May 25 2008, 11:17 PM
Do we really get our very own equestrian trail!!!!! :D

Big E
May 25 2008, 11:52 PM

web page (http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/incheshg/fulllayout.jpg)

inHg
May 26 2008, 02:09 AM
Do we really get our very own equestrian trail!!!!! :D

And a playground, and a skate park, and a mountain bike course. Oh GOODY :D

inHg
May 26 2008, 02:31 AM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/incheshg/public/fulllayout.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/incheshg/public/?action=view&current=fulllayout.jpg)

demrick
May 27 2008, 01:04 PM
Reminder; WORK DAYS June 1st and June 8th
Calling on all Fort Worth disc golfers not playing in a tournament and or otherwise free, we need HELP!!!

This is going to be an awesome course and you can help, we need anyone willing to work and any tools you can bring with you, we have alot to clear so chainsaws, extension saws, loppers, machetes etc etc etc

demrick
May 27 2008, 01:07 PM
also and this may be the biggest help of all, anyone with access to a brushhog, we sure could use it as there are a couple fairways that could go alot quicker if we had one

May 27 2008, 03:13 PM
Does anybody know the cost associated with a brush hog rental or perhaps a bob cat rental...

The discboomer POSSIBLY would be willing to absorb the cost of such a venture....

Lemme know

dryhistory
May 27 2008, 03:38 PM
Skidsteer Loader

Representative image only. Not Exact Model. Hertz Equipment Rental, Committed to Safety!!

https://images.hertz.com/herc/herc/rentals/94x134/bobcats220.jpg

Available range: 10 - 105 HP gas or diesel powered; High visibility cab designs; Padded seat bar for operator safety and comfort; Auxiliary hydraulics for a wide range of attachments; Pneumatic tires

The rates shown are estimated retail rates for the HERC location (Store 9256, Arlington, Texas, (817) 375-9484) closest to your Job Location and are in local currency. These rates are subject to change without notice based on availability, job location changes, and other factors.

Daily Rate: $150
Weekly Rate: $425
4 Week Rate: $1,200

dryhistory
May 27 2008, 03:42 PM
brush chipper

https://images.hertz.com/herc/herc/rentals/94x134/bc600xl_cob.jpg

$20 a day

May 27 2008, 03:47 PM
How many hours are allocated for the 1 day rental ?

8 I presume?

dryhistory
May 27 2008, 03:49 PM
Does anybody know the cost associated with a brush hog rental or perhaps a bob cat rental...

The discboomer POSSIBLY would be willing to absorb the cost of such a venture....

Lemme know

i dont know what a brush hog is, perhaps bush hog which makes lawn mowing equipment. i imagine it is something like a rotary blade to attach to the back of a tractor?

Big E
May 27 2008, 03:52 PM

Lemme know

i dont know what a brush hog is, perhaps bush hog which makes lawn mowing equipment. i imagine it is something like a rotary blade to attach to the back of a tractor?

Brush hog just mows threw brush it has aopening at the front maybe 2X2 and the one my old job had was self prapelled just pull lever and clear lots of brush quick!

baldguy
May 28 2008, 09:00 AM
http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepCategory.a...&LinkType=2 (http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepCategory.aspx?p1Name=DRPowerHome&Name=Field Brush2Step&cm_re=Home%20Page%201-_-Machine%20Line-Up-_-FAB&BC=0:Home&LinkType=2)

and "brush hog" is a generic term referring to a self-propelled or tow-behind heavy-duty mower. I have one that is operated by a PTO. we use it with our '48 Ford 8N or our '52 Ford 850 :). The term is actually a bastardization of "bush hog" but is applied more broadly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brush_hog

and sadly no... I can't loan out my brush hog :(. I have no trailer with which to haul the hog or either tractor. Is the city not supplying all of the equipment?

dryhistory
May 28 2008, 10:41 AM
negative, the city is contracting everything out so that it does not have to have city workers out there, it's a bummer. the real kicker is the grant that was awarded Brandon was for Riverside park, which would not have needed all of this work. so the city should have tripled the grant at least. but whatever, we'll do what we can....

dryhistory
May 28 2008, 12:38 PM

can someone email me this picture please

woote01
May 31 2008, 01:58 PM
Reminder; WORK DAYS June 1st and June 8th
Calling on all Fort Worth disc golfers not playing in a tournament and or otherwise free, we need HELP!!!

This is going to be an awesome course and you can help, we need anyone willing to work and any tools you can bring with you, we have alot to clear so chainsaws, extension saws, loppers, machetes etc etc etc

We will be at the park early in the morning 7-8am, but feel free to come as late as 10am. Hope to see alot of people. :cool:

demrick
Jun 02 2008, 11:03 AM
overall, I think everyone did an outstanding job, we managed to clear quite a bit yesterday, and nobody fell out from the heat, it was a good work day, see you next weekend

Pogis
Jun 02 2008, 11:11 AM
How much more did you guys get done? And sorry I had to cut out early......

woote01
Jun 03 2008, 12:34 AM

Hey John, It is 10 years and now it's time to show up and do some work! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Miles we got alot more done yet more to do. We need people to help and get off the there but and make a difference. This is good stuff!!!!! Grow your sport and donated your time and make a difference. I know this is not PC and I'll qoute B " shut up or show up". The word is out!
Peace :cool:Hope to see you on Sunday!

demrick
Jun 03 2008, 12:50 PM
Miles, you could actually see some fairways taking shape, more than once the comment was made to grab some plastic, although we stuck to the task at hand, we did think about it

demrick
Jun 05 2008, 04:22 PM
are we bringing in the power equipment this Sunday?

inHg
Jun 05 2008, 05:24 PM
No word from the city so far. We can continue the "rough in" of fairways and passages. I'm bringing my chainsaw though. If you can bring those bladed weedeaters I have 2-stroke oil mix and gas.

demrick
Jun 05 2008, 05:46 PM
just checked with the shop, they are ready to be picked up so I'll bring both of them as well, I'll bring a second chainsaw just in case

DGBAMA92
Jun 06 2008, 12:29 AM
Big Fire at Gateway at the Baseball Fields. The did FIREWORKS in the WIND we had today -- Need I Say STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::conf used: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Hope this does not hurt our Plans for the Course.. :confused: :mad:

karateputter
Jun 06 2008, 01:53 AM
Just got back from the park. All the land proposed for disc golf appeared to be just fine. I didn't get a close look at where the fire may have been, but the last fire engine there was in the west entrance parking lot in the north west corner.

Click here (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=32.758804,-97.273014&spn=0.01514,0.032315&t=h&z=16&msid=10641 7076588750411892.00044ef84c0a4786eb10b) for a rough map and a guess of where the fire may have been.

News Story (http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/685381.html)

Be sure to send a thank you to the Fort Worth and Haltom City fire departments!

shaunh
Jun 06 2008, 08:47 AM
phewwww I saw that on the news this morning and got freaked...

dryhistory
Jun 06 2008, 10:07 AM
40 mph winds and someone decided to have a fireworks show, seriously? :confused:

demrick
Jun 06 2008, 06:53 PM
you can't fix stupid!

inHg
Jun 07 2008, 07:27 PM
More proof that the powers that be, should not be. It is time for a Disc golf revolution!!! To be continued tomorrow morning with machete or chainsaw in hand. See everyone out there.

Bran
IOM disc golf

demrick
Jun 10 2008, 05:22 PM
speakin of chainsaws, Marty said he was bringin his, I'm bringin mine, and the trimmer is fixed, when I got home from Gateway last week it wouldn't even stay idling, I messed with it last night for a while and it's rip and tear time, it's running better than it was when we started last week, all my stuff that we broke last week is ready for another go around this week

inHg
Jun 17 2008, 12:02 AM
This weekend is a tournament weekend so no official workday is scheduled. If anyone is interested in doing some light duty this weekend contact Wooten and see if a skeleton crew is a possibility. Plenty of things yet to be done

cgflesner
Jun 17 2008, 09:32 PM
what tournament?

inHg
Jun 17 2008, 10:20 PM
Abilene(wild hare) and San antonio(bud open)

woote01
Jul 01 2008, 04:35 PM
How about a workday this weekend Brandon?

karateputter
Jul 03 2008, 03:33 PM
I think Brandon may be at the Live Oak Summer Open this weekend. So, more trimming on the front 10 then?

I can't wait to try my new hand saw! :D

inHg
Jul 03 2008, 08:10 PM
I will be in town this weekend so the full on workday is a go for Sunday at Gateway west. Can't wait to see Michaels new hand saw. BRING WATER!!!!!

inHg
Jul 10 2008, 02:23 PM
This past sunday was good but not enough man power. Gilbert and I made out there this wednesday and cut out thirteens fairway. All but one hole (15) has now been roughed in, so progress is being made. Come out this sunday and help please!!!

demrick
Jul 15 2008, 01:25 PM
sorry I've been mia, I'll try to be there this Sunday

karateputter
Jul 16 2008, 04:50 PM
Ditto!!

woote01
Jul 16 2008, 11:23 PM
We are making good progress but need to keep up the numbers. So all are welcome and I hope I see lots of people on Sunday. I will get the word to who ever I see. ;)

inHg
Jul 17 2008, 01:34 AM
We are making good progress but need to keep up the numbers. So all are welcome and I hope I see lots of people on Sunday. I will get the word to who ever I see. ;)

Ditto!!!

inHg
Jul 22 2008, 11:34 PM
It was way HOT!!!!! Me, Nascar, Gilbert and a couple of my buddies (newbies) walked a basket around and worked out some details, threw a little bit. The course is shaping up nicely. Because of the heat the next few workdays will be light detail work, and we will DISCuss what needs to be done this Sat. at the FFC meeting. See you there!

inHg
Jul 28 2008, 01:20 PM
Two and half fairways to go for the "rough in" to be complete. The course is almost playable, we need some brush mulched, ceiling work and detail around greens and 'T' boxes. Tournament this weekend at Cedar hill. Not sure if any work will be done?

jlui
Aug 08 2008, 06:49 PM
Anybody working on the course during weekdays after 5:00 PM (cept Tuesdays)

If not, I'd like to get together soon with someone to get some direction so that I can do some on my own if this is okay. Unfortunately I'll be out of town this and the next weekend. But am eager to help get this course going.

Subway
(Jared)

inHg
Aug 09 2008, 12:40 AM
met with the city today. some paperwork to complete and in two weeks will meet again to finalize and tie up loose ends. I will post any new info as it comes. jared, any help is definitely appreciated and I will pm you when i know a good time to do some weekday work.

demrick
Aug 09 2008, 10:42 AM
best news I've heard all week, thanks for passing it on Bran

inHg
Aug 18 2008, 07:32 PM
It is a go!!!!!! Full scale, course installation!!! Workdays will move to Saturdays due to 'of course' FOOTBALL!!!! The city has given me the green light and I'm ironing out details for concrete to be donated for TEE boxes. I will be ordering equipment in the upcoming two or three week period once a price has been finalized and they will be innova discatchers. Wanna Help????? contact Shawn Wooten facilities director of the Funkytown flyers.
[email protected]

demrick
Aug 19 2008, 11:15 AM
headed to Colorado tomorrow and will be back Sunday, next week I'm in, I think I hear the roar of some power equipment

Big E
Aug 19 2008, 11:47 AM
I am available for work day if you guys get a early jump I seem to have to much going on during the weekend but I could show up around 7 and help out for a couple of hours if anyone will be there.

inHg
Aug 19 2008, 05:26 PM
I will be out of town this weekend for the gonzo open so i will not be there. it is up to the FFC guys whether or not they want to put in a workday. as for me the following saturday for sure.

karateputter
Aug 19 2008, 06:07 PM
I would like to go out there and do some ground work! Probably concentrate on the hole that we worked on last Sunday. Did you want any more clearing towards that short pin location?

jlui
Aug 19 2008, 10:55 PM
Will anyone be available to work tomorrow after 5:00PM? As long as the weather is decent, I can work from about 5:15 until dark or my back gives out.

inHg
Aug 19 2008, 11:47 PM
I would like to go out there and do some ground work! Probably concentrate on the hole that we worked on last Sunday. Did you want any more clearing towards that short pin location?

Sure Michael, also hole #13's green which is the drop off by the river or #14's fairway past the ravine is gravy work that wouldn't take much time.

jlui
Aug 20 2008, 12:53 PM
I'll be at Gateway tonight around 6:00PM. IOMDgolf says he will be there in case anyone else wants to go play in the mud.

karateputter
Aug 21 2008, 12:57 AM

Sure Michael, also hole #13's green which is the drop off by the river or #14's fairway past the ravine is gravy work that wouldn't take much time.

Excellent. I just bought some loppers that I'd like to try out as well. :D

jlui
Aug 21 2008, 06:02 PM
Michael, when are you going out there next?

karateputter
Aug 21 2008, 06:44 PM
Sunday, 9am.

jlui
Aug 22 2008, 10:15 PM
I'll be there, with hoe in hand.

Hmmm, maybe I should have said rake instead ;)

karateputter
Aug 24 2008, 03:35 PM
Great workday today! Many thanks to Gilbert, Lee, Jared, and Stephanie for the hard work.

jlui
Aug 24 2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks to you too Michael. Number one fairway is shaping up nicely.

And thanks for the tour. This will definitely be a challenging and unique course.

inHg
Sep 04 2008, 11:29 PM
Workday this saturday. I will be there at 9:00 am

karateputter
Sep 04 2008, 11:59 PM
Stephanie and I will be there.

jeterdawg
Sep 08 2008, 02:54 PM
Nice article in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Saturday about DG in Tarrant County, specifically mentioning Gateway Park. They should have expanded about all the DG on the east side as well, but still a great front page article with the loveable Brian Mace putting on the front page!

Pizza God
Sep 08 2008, 05:50 PM
link????

jeterdawg
Sep 08 2008, 05:58 PM
Not as great as seeing a full-color Mace in the paper, but here's the article without all the pictures:
http://www.star-telegram.com/health/story/888451.html

Pizza God
Sep 09 2008, 12:18 AM
Who is Joe Walker and what courses has he designed????

inHg
Sep 09 2008, 12:43 AM
jOE walker??? Don't know. No workday this Sat. Mr. jims carrolton open, good luck to everyone. I will be working this wednesday so anyone interested in lending a hand give me a shout( pm or call 682-478-9231 ) peace.

inHg
Sep 17 2008, 02:09 AM
http://www.funkytownflyers.org/promotions/20080915-gatewayworkdays.png

workday this Sat. 9:00 am

inHg
Oct 03 2008, 03:53 PM
9:00 am Come out and help finish up clearing phase for Gateway west. Need to detail tee areas to make way for contractors to pour concrete coming up later next week.
Also just 2 and half more partiaL FAIRWAYS to clear and the course will be ready for full installation. more info visit http://www.funkytownflyers.org/promotions/20080915-gatewayworkdays.png

inHg
Oct 23 2008, 09:33 PM
The tee pads have been poured. Some cleaning up of fairways needs finishing and then we can begin sign and basket installation. Looking to be ready for the "Hangover classic"
on new years day. The more help we receive the faster we will be playing. hint-hint. Don't be a puss!!!!!

inHg
Nov 03 2008, 12:36 AM
so many of you have asked about the course layout and now that the boxes are in you can get a pretty good idea of what is in store.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/incheshg/public/West18sept08.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/incheshg/public/?action=view�t=West18nov2.jpg)

here is the link
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll55/incheshg/public/West18nov2.jpg

willyc
Nov 03 2008, 09:45 AM
Wow! looks like alot of walking between holes. What is the total distance going to be?

demrick
Nov 03 2008, 04:48 PM
congrats to both of the proud parents

Big E
Nov 03 2008, 05:08 PM

I was woundering when she was going to pop! Congrats and best wishes to you and yours :D

daltonseabolt
Nov 03 2008, 07:07 PM
Are the baskets in yet.

inHg
Nov 03 2008, 08:31 PM

I was woundering when she was going to pop! Congrats and best wishes to you and yours :D

Thanks for the congrats she definitely went 'pop'--(9lbs- 20 7/8 inches) ouch!!! But she is beautiful and we are very happy

Thanks again

No baskets are not in--still clearing to be done.

And the distance frolm the white tees will be close to 7000'
blues won't be finalized till later next year.

AnotherSteve
Nov 05 2008, 09:09 PM
A buddy of mine when to meeting today to talk about the update of the park project. Had a computer generated helicoper fly over, saw baskets, tees and stuff.....it was said Disc Course is near.

karateputter
Nov 05 2008, 10:04 PM
That sounds like a newer animation? I'll have to check it out.

Here (http://picasaweb.google.com/FunkytownFlyers/GatewayParkPreview) are a few quick pics. More to come!

We still need to raise money for the bobcat work. Come see us Saturday morning for details. :)

demrick
Nov 06 2008, 01:36 PM
I have two questions.

First, has anyone priced the Bobcat rental, and how much is it for one day vs two days, and can the work be finished in one day?

Second, how much work still needs to be completed and will someone post a list of it?

thanks in advance, I'll see what I can help with

karateputter
Nov 06 2008, 01:52 PM
My understanding is that $400 will cover the bobcat and labor for work finished in one day. :)

Brandon has the authoritative list of what needs to be done. But fairway trimming is a sure bet.

demrick
Nov 06 2008, 02:18 PM
looking for a match sponsor

I'll cover 200.00 for the bobcat rental if someone will match it, any takers?
let's get this thing done

karateputter
Nov 06 2008, 03:01 PM
Dave, we already have $150 pledged. So if you change your match to $125 then we'll only need that amount more to get this going!

demrick
Nov 06 2008, 03:49 PM
I'll cover 125.00 for the bobcat rental if someone will match it, any takers?

AnotherSteve
Nov 06 2008, 08:08 PM

Giddy Up....I'll take the 2nd Half

karateputter
Nov 06 2008, 11:56 PM
Awesome Steve! It looks like we are covered then. This Saturday is another work day and we might have the bobcat doing work out there. Also, we'll be taking some pictures for before/after comparisons later on down the road.

inHg
Nov 07 2008, 02:06 PM

Man dave your awesome. My thanks to you and steve this will take care of the final heavy duty clearing. the bobcat work will be done next thurs or friday, he (Brian bogard)is booked till then. he has been very helpful so everyone thank him when you see him. This sat. we will be finalizing pin placements and distances, and Mike and steph will be doing some pics for our 'historical' records :D Baskets have been ordered so we are almost there. Thanks to everyone for past help and in advanced for future assistance.

For this Sat. We need to work on ceilings so does anyone have a chainsaw on a pole?

Bran

Big E
Nov 07 2008, 09:57 PM

Man dave your awesome. My thanks to you and steve this will take care of the final heavy duty clearing. the bobcat work will be done next thurs or friday, he (Brian bogard)is booked till then. he has been very helpful so everyone thank him when you see him. This sat. we will be finalizing pin placements and distances, and Mike and steph will be doing some pics for our 'historical' records :D Baskets have been ordered so we are almost there. Thanks to everyone for past help and in advanced for future assistance.

For this Sat. We need to work on ceilings so does anyone have a chainsaw on a pole?

Bran

Hey I am going to play weatherford for the first time around 700 and then I will swing by and drop off my pole saw. You guys get there around 9? Any tour guides wanting to play weatherford?

inHg
Nov 07 2008, 10:40 PM

Bran

[/QUOTE]

Hey I am going to play weatherford for the first time around 700 and then I will swing by and drop off my pole saw. You guys get there around 9? Any tour guides wanting to play weatherford?

[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Thanks 'E' Yep be there from nine till around 1:00.

call me when you get to the parking lot and I will meet you there 682-478-9231

peace

karateputter
Nov 08 2008, 05:25 PM
New set of pics, all 18 tees. Go here (http://picasaweb.google.com/FunkytownFlyers/GatewayWest20081108).

Forgot to mention, huge thanks to Rick Ruiz for taking these photos and also for helping out with the crew!

dryhistory
Nov 08 2008, 06:42 PM
<font color="green"> SWEET! </font>

karateputter
Nov 08 2008, 11:23 PM
Also thanks to Rick, a few videos (http://www.vimeo.com/funkytownflyers/videos) as well.

demrick
Nov 09 2008, 11:56 AM
and may I say the third video on hole two is more along the lines of what happens at Gateway, a little tree love, or hate

great pics and vids, thanks Rick

and thanks to everyone that helped, we got alot done Saturday, and I lost a lot less blood and sweat than normal

RustyP
Nov 10 2008, 05:27 PM
Looks like the course is coming along nicely! Can't wait to see the finished product...any idea when baskets might be in the ground?

demrick
Nov 10 2008, 06:43 PM
with enough help, maybe by the end of the year, although that's Bran's call

shaunh
Nov 11 2008, 09:15 AM
How short are those teepads?

demrick
Nov 12 2008, 02:19 PM
they are around six feet, but i don't have the exact measurements, wait for the B-reply

karateputter
Nov 12 2008, 03:15 PM
Seemed more like 7-9ft when I did the practice the other day.

karateputter
Nov 12 2008, 10:07 PM
They are 10ft long, 6ft wide in the front, 4ft wide in the back.

There will be another workday Saturday. The bobcat work has been pushed to next week due to weather.

demrick
Nov 17 2008, 02:11 PM
sorry I didn't make it out there Sat, I promised my wife I'd take her to the gun show in Ft Worth, and next week is teams, so I'll see you guys in a couple weeks

AnotherSteve
Nov 17 2008, 05:40 PM
sorry I didn't make it out there Sat, I promised my wife I'd take her to the gun show in Ft Worth, and next week is teams, so I'll see you guys in a couple weeks

Wife to the Gun Show!!!!!

demrick
Nov 17 2008, 07:27 PM
southern girl, she's like that, she may have had more fun than I had

inHg
Nov 19 2008, 09:28 PM
Alot happening this weekend for Gateway. anyone not headed out for teams should come out and help install sleeves and posts for tee signs. Also from 1-5pm on saturday, Streams and valleys(tee box sponsors) needs us to attend a publicity event for the park and the new course about to be completed. i will set up some demo holes at the nearby church to help raise awareness for the disc golf course and the park master plan overall. they would like us to put on a demonsration for newbies. I need solid players to volunteer for that and workers to help with the course which can be complete by the end of this weekend. contact me for more info. Brandon 682-478-9231

inHg
Nov 26 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks to Gilbert, Dan, Trey, Andy, and Little Eric for their help putting the sleeves and signs in this past weekend. Some Bobcat work and details to finish up but the course is complete. Baskets should be in by the end of the year. ??? never know when working with govt.???? anyway thanks to all who have toughed it out over the past 9 months and endured the brutal landscape, it will be well worth it!!!!!

Peace

Big E
Nov 29 2008, 10:59 PM
Did my pole saw and clippers make it out alive?

inHg
Nov 30 2008, 12:52 AM
No worries 'E'. I have them at my house, let me know a good time we can meet to get those to you.

Thanks for the tools they helped alot.

Bran

Big E
Dec 08 2008, 01:15 PM
I saw they have installed sleeves at gateway are we to expect basket this week? I would really like to thank everyone who has put in there blood and sweat at this terrific addition to metro golf as we know it!

inHg
Dec 16 2008, 09:30 PM
Calling all funkytown flyers. The course needs trash pick up and detail work for your upcoming member event. This Sunday at 9:00 am. When this thing got started it was show up or shut up. I have heard alot of talk from a bunch of no shows. This event won't make itself happen!!! hope to see some help this weekend.

Big E
Dec 21 2008, 11:35 PM
Well I had the park to myself and I filled 4.5 55gal trash cans full of mostlly glass bottles and can of sorts! I cleaned trash off holes 1,2 and 9 and around the greeting sign there was a bunch I had to crawl through thorns to get :DI finially checked out some of the bck area not near as much trash as the front 9! I loved hole 16 that has the anti skip shot board :DI left arrived around 630 and left at about 1030! I also picked a stray dog up that looks like a mix between pitbull and a red heeler (sp)! Anyways sorry I could not stay longer if anyone ever showed up for the work day :p but I had to go to the nut cracker show at UTA with the family! Cant wait for some baskets to throw at :D:D:DThanks to all thathave made this gem possible!

karateputter
Dec 22 2008, 01:32 PM
Awesome Eric!

Stephanie and I went in the afternoon when it was warmer. We did some brush work on 12 and green work on 17. The course is looking great!

The tournament is next week and we definitely could use some help this weekend to do finishing touches before the classic.

Big E
Dec 22 2008, 03:13 PM
Okay I should be able to make it out there for another day this week with the long weekend! I will keep taking buckets of trash off the front nine unless there is other work that has precedence! The course is looking awsome for sure! I cant wait for the Hangover after the Hangover! :DAny new news on basket installation? I would be willing to help if needed with Assembling baskets!

BIGBUCK
Jan 07 2009, 06:52 PM
Funky leaders,

Is there a way to post what types of things, per hole, that you would like to see accomplished? I.E. trim out some more of the rough on certain holes or maybe even paint the stuff orange that needs to taken down.

karateputter
Jan 08 2009, 10:20 PM
Brandon and Gilbert are the first resources when it comes to what needs to be done at Gateway. Give them a call before heading out and they can give you the best up-to-date info.

Here are the areas I think need most attention based on a workday the weekend before last:

Hole 2 : move branches off fairway; clean up green
Hole 11: continue trimming fairway
Hole 12: remove tree stumps; general fairway cleanup
Hole 13: remove briars from fairway
Hole 14: remove briars from fairway
Hole 15: finish elevated green
Hole 16: fairway trimming

inHg
Jan 09 2009, 11:32 PM
Chores to be done at G-way this sun. at 11:00. come out and help with the final details before the permanent baskets go in. :)

willyc
Feb 04 2009, 10:46 AM
Any word on the baskets for Gateway?

Big E
Feb 04 2009, 12:44 PM
Talked to brandon this last weekend he said they are still waiting on the city for a check :confused: Maybe some day the city will get it!

inHg
Feb 14 2009, 08:51 PM
Talked to the project manager in charge of grant funds disbursement and looks like the money will be here within the next two weeks. That means baskets should be in the ground by the first of March. It has been two years since I wrote the grant and almost three months that the course has been ready, I have been waiting to be re-imbursed for the thousands of dollars I have spent putting the course in. When i have that money the baskets will go in. I have been asked about this alot, "Brandon when are the baskets going in at Gateway?" First of all, there is nothing free in this world, and noone is entitled to anything except the air we breathe. Like it or not in order for disc golf to move to the next level all those interested will have to understand there is a business side. Someone must demand payment for services rendered. Sponsorship is not enough especially if sponsors don't receive some sort of return on there investment. That means if we want to see more and better courses we have to patronize the sponsors, help promote their name, and spend money at their place of business. Start getting used to the idea of paying the people who spend endless hours securing land, constructing signs, clearing brush etc.
There is plans to put another course on the east side of the river in Gateway, but once again there are no funds.
Support your local minis and don't buy used discs from the scrounges who like to swim for and sell other peoples property they are in it for themselves(truth is they are to lazy to get a job). Buy from authorized dealers and support your local minis, donate. This is where the funds for more disc golf will come from.

If you like Gateway, North park, Greenbriar Comm. center
and want to see more, help me promote my businesses and I will continue to work hard making a place for disc golf in Tarrant county.

I co-own and operate a music and rehearsal studio as well as a fledgling disc golf shop under the name "inches of mercury". We are a band and business partners who love disc golf. I teach guitar and music theory lessons. Stop by and check us out or visit us online at www.inchesofmercury.com (http://www.inchesofmercury.com)

peace

demrick
Mar 13 2009, 03:21 PM
Gateway mini, Sunday at 3pm, bring your basket and or baskets.
8.00 entry
We will set up as much of the course as we can, based on the number of baskets that we have in attendence.

demrick
Mar 16 2009, 05:22 PM
Good turnout, set up the entire front nine and played that side twice. Had about twenty people show up. Thanks for coming.

inHg
Mar 27 2009, 04:56 PM
Baskets go in tomorrow. Meet at hole #1 between noon and 1:00 pm. Bring a truck, flat head screw driver, 1/2" wrenchs, ratchet etc. Directions are http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?f...001&amp;dtype=h (http://atlas.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=latlong&amp;latlongtype=decimal&amp;latit ude=32%2e762799000000001&amp;longitude=%2d97%2e2770000 00000001&amp;dtype=h)

inHg
Apr 23 2009, 09:18 PM
Well we have one volunteer, everyone thank Don Q for the good work on hole one, looks great. I Mowed hole 3 and cleaned up the right side of the fairway, playing alot better, now it actually rewards a good drive. I would like to invite others to volunteer a little time to detail the course where needed. Weed whacking will help alot and throw any debris in the fairway in the nearest brush pile, Funkytown flyers has agreed to rent a chipper mulcher for the piles. I and Rick will be out there Monday morning to remove the remaining trees still left in the fairways. The course is breaking in nicely so lets help it along.

peace
any questions on specifics?
message me here, email me [email protected]
or give me a shout 682-478-9231

karateputter
Apr 23 2009, 09:43 PM
We've also posted a maintenance webpage (http://www.funkytownflyers.org/courses/maintenance.html) that shows some of the work needed. Many thanks to Don and Brandon!

inHg
May 01 2009, 04:59 PM
Wanna see gateway cleaned up? Come help with the effort tomorrow at 10 am. We (ff's) are renting a chipper to clear the brush piles and other fairway debris. Bring dirt rakes, loppers, and weedeaters if you have them. The course is breaking in nicely so come help speed the process up.

my_hero
May 25 2009, 07:21 PM
Played Gateway's DGC for the first time today. I have mixed feelings about some of the holes but all in all it was fun, challenging, and scenic. Great to see a true par 62 course in the area. Glad someone who had previously played it was with me otherwise i may have headed off down a wrong trail. My oh my are there trails (going everywhich way) out there! I did see some of the signage pointing golfers in the right direction....props on that!

Never took anything worse than a bogey (had 5 of them)......but also didn't card one birdie out of 6 chances (within 40 feet.) Shot a less than mediocre 67. Last time i shot a round with no birdies was a Veteran's mini in 2007. Yikes! Can't wait to play it again.

demrick
Jun 22 2009, 12:49 PM
Special Request: Please keep an eye out for two stolen baskets, they were stolen from the Weatherford DGC on Saturday, June 20th around 10pm.
The descriptions are as follows, both are DGA Mach III's. The first one is the practice basket with the DGA logo on the nuber plate and various stickers on the pole inside the chain assembly. The second is Hole 18's basket with the number 18 in bright red on the number plate.

demrick
Jun 30 2009, 12:47 PM
The Weatherford July 4th Fundraiser will start at 9am, sign ups at 8am. $20.00 entry and close to $1000.00 in prizes for CTP's on every hole. Maximum CTP's are two per person so at least nine different winners. All money from the entries will go directly to replace the two stolen baskets. Please join us for this special event.

inHg
Dec 01 2009, 07:34 PM
two baskets were stolen over the thanksgiving holiday from greenbriar in South ft worth. The baskets are innova disccatchers --brand new. i put special markings on the inside of the top yellow bands. If anyone knows of sudden new baskets someone or some course has obtained let us know and i can verify if they are the baskets in question. call the community center 817-926-6214 or brandon 682-478-9231 thanks

demrick
Dec 10 2009, 01:52 PM
Notice: The Weatherford Ice Bowl benefitting the Pythian Home in Weatherford, a local childrens home. Our goal is to donate $1000 and 500 pounds of dry/canned goods. The tourney is scheduled for February 20, 2010.
The entry is $25 per person and will benefit the charity. We are still finalizing the players package, more information to follow. Please rememer to bring food for their pantry as they rely on donations for operating expenses.

inHg
Apr 07 2010, 10:27 PM
Anyone interested in taking part in the development of Gateway park (East and West) meet at Gateway hole 1 this Sunday at 3:00pm. Several local players would like to discuss ideas aimed at establishing goals and means for developing Gateway park disc golf.

1. Establish "The Gatekeepers" team/club (persons responsible for developing gateway)

2. Getting the existing course (West) detailed and maintained and ready to host a Sunday afternoon Mini.

3. Generate funds via sponsors, course funds collected at mini's, etc.

4. Develop land on the East side of the river for course #2

inHg
Apr 13 2010, 05:11 PM
Had a good show of solid accountable people ready to see gateway completed. We decided to jump right in and get the course groomed and playable for a Sunday weekly mini.
All are welcome to come and offer assistance, be there this sunday april 18th 1:00pm with weedeaters, bobcat:), shovels, dirt rakes, branch saws etc. Anyone that logs volunteer time will be offered some sort of compensation such as discounts on entry fees once the mini gets established. With enough volunteers the mini could get started in as early as two to three weeks. Remember any project is about Time and Money, Don't have the time? Sponsorship money is accepted and this could count toward entry fees in the future.
Wanna know more? contact Dan Regal 817-703-8363

peace

inHg
Apr 28 2010, 10:59 PM
Got the front nine cleaned up and ready to play, marked out some red (short tees) boxes so we can play ( 9 from short, 9 from long ). The back nine is close but we still need to wait for snow and flood water to recede between 16 and 17 before we can include it in the mini. We are meeting at 1:00 for light duty detail work and a quick meeting before teeing off at 3:00.

In the meeting will be discussing the establishment of "The GDGA" (Gatekeepers Disc Golf assoc.) and requirements for membership, course direction and plans for development. All local golfers and positive input are welcome.
See you this Sunday May 2nd.

Big E
Apr 29 2010, 11:43 AM
Brandon,

This Sunday is my daughters last soccer game (she has told us numerous times that she would have prefered dance) so maybe in a couple weeks after mothers day I can make it out. Anyways I would like to help with the clean up! Is there anything you can list on here you could use help with? I am usually avalable for a early am clean up/ round.

Eric

inHg
Apr 30 2010, 01:54 AM
Brandon,

This Sunday is my daughters last soccer game (she has told us numerous times that she would have prefered dance) so maybe in a couple weeks after mothers day I can make it out. Anyways I would like to help with the clean up! Is there anything you can list on here you could use help with? I am usually avalable for a early am clean up/ round.

Eric

Hey Eric sounds good.

For anyone interested in doing some solo work there is alot of down brush on the back nine that needs to be moved to one of the closest piles to be mulched in the next couple of weeks once we have the funds to rent a chipper. 12 & 16 need to be mowed or weedeated? if that is a word. And of course trash pick up is always a big help.

thanks for asking Eric

peace