DOC65
Apr 30 2008, 02:15 PM
Corrected the link below to take you directly to the video.

Not exactly an in depth study. However, I thought it was a really cool example of a fellow DG'r who is using some cool software to improve his skill's and has in effect introduced Disc Golf to potentially millions of new players.

Just found this today while browsing the new Adobe TV site:
Adobe TV (http://tv.adobe.com/?trackingid=CEXSU#v=http%3A//adobe.edgeboss.net/flash/adobe/adobetvprod/after_hours_at_adobe/15_aha_002_alan.flv%3Frss_feedid%3D962%26xmlvers%3 D2)

Cool stuff Alan!!!

travisgreenway
May 02 2008, 11:19 AM
That is sweet....he could have really helped me with my Thesis :DI used Dartfish software to bread down distance shots for biomechanical analysis.....and someone else, OSU, paid for it :cool:

DOC65
May 02 2008, 01:48 PM
So what did you biomechanical analysis reveal? Haven't heard of Dartfish, what kind of software is it?

travisgreenway
May 02 2008, 01:56 PM
Motion analysis software....The olympics used it to show diving and downhill skiing....where you can see the ghost of the athlete while going through the action....it turned out pretty cool but the camera's I was using were junk so that was the limiting factor....I still have the software on my computer all I need is video but I am not enough of a techie to figure all that out....really I just broke the ice on what the software could really do I'm sure but it worked for my purposes.....If you want a copy of the theses send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll get it to ya for personal consumption.....that goes for all members of the message board....Iwould really like to get this out there and see if there is any intrest in furthering it :D

mutt
May 02 2008, 11:53 PM
is that the school formerly know as OSU that paid for it?? It is now know as the school named TBPU...It would be intresting to watch. I know just video recording a round helps me look at my shots alot..

Birdie
May 04 2008, 09:56 PM
Yeah, thanks for all the great footage and ideas that have come from Norman, oh wait, there isn't any.

Trav did some great work in his thesis, but as he said getting the kind of footage needed is really difficult sometimes. You really need calm conditions, you need a visual reference point that is visible from multiple angles (seeing that it would be best to have three cameras running to fully capture the throw) and you need people to show up....

But seeing yourself on video, aside from being cool anyway, is probably THE best way to analyze your throw/make changes changes or additions.

Needless to say it is worth the effort of attaining quality footage.

mutt
May 06 2008, 12:36 AM
Yes it is very useful, and I think its cool to get someone to help support into disc golf, no matter where the funds come from. I would like to see T-doggs end result sometime. T-dogg list as living in Texas not Stillwater. Hey red I will send you my video playing NE Lions for some of TBP's money...

flicknandkickn
May 26 2008, 05:08 AM
That was a really cool video from Adobe. Thanks for the link, and Alan, keep up the good work ;) Hope lots of people view it.