rutgersgolfer
Apr 29 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure if this has been brought up here, but I was wondering if it is a good idea. I saw it on TV not long ago at a golf tournament. You have two different tee pads for a hole, (say just one hole on the course, maybe your signature hole) and give the player the option of which one to tee from. I'm not saying the "back tee" vs. the "front tee", but rather two tees within perhaps a few feet of each other giving slightly different looks. The player chooses based on lefty/righty, forehand/backhand, or where ever their strength lies. This might throw off ratings for the round, but otherwise it seems to add another dimension and gives the player something to think about. Are there holes like this? A good idea?

cgkdisc
Apr 29 2008, 09:10 PM
I just played one at the Lexington event on the new Riney B course. Tees were 90 degrees from each other and the player had to shoot thru a double mando about 35 feet in front of each tee. There were separate routes to the single pin from each tee thru corridors that bend around to the pin in the opening. For tournament play, only one tee was used during a round but we played two rounds on the course and played both. For rec play, it's take your choice.

It's the only one I've seen in 455 courses. However, I designed side-by-side tees at Acorn Park back in the 90s on one hole. The right tee is the "long" tee and the left is the "short" tee because just that 15 ft shift made the routes easier to hit for beginners.

crotts
Apr 29 2008, 10:38 PM
Hobson Grove in Bowling Green, KY has a whole that the tee pad is a V and you can choose which side to tee from and which route to take. and I believe the plinko hole at the Grange has a tee pad like 15 feet wide so you can decide your approach.

: ) :

keithjohnson
Apr 29 2008, 11:22 PM
and I believe the plinko hole at the Grange has a tee pad like 15 feet wide so you can decide your approach.

Correct..Hole 17 on Sunnyside

warwickdan
Apr 30 2008, 09:10 AM
At our wonderful Warwick, NY course we're forced to do a re-design this Spring due to the parks dept deciding they need another athletic field. Holes 3 and 4 will cease to exist but we're designing two new woods holes to take their place.

Our new Hole #11 along the creek will feature a Y-shaped concrete tee pad for the "Silver" (short) tee. Both of our two baskets (Silver or short basket and Blue or long basket) can be thrown to using a flight path from either "leg of the Y".

having multiple choices creates interesting challenges while also reducing certain challenges. offering a player multiple choices can confuse one's brain. when one goes to throw using the flight path route they have chosen, in the back of one's mind is a little voice screaming that perhaps one should choose the other route. this causes one to perhaps not throw with the same conviction as compared to if they only had one forced route.

the alternate options off this tee maximizes the notion of risk vs reward. one route of the "Y" offers a safer drive but a riskier upshot if the drive isn't properly executed. the other route features a risky drive but a more direct route to the hole and a safer upshot. pick your poison.

so in our case it's two different tees joined at the hip.

i'm all for multiple options.

johnbiscoe
Apr 30 2008, 10:18 AM
the one at the grange was originally a "long" and "short" tee (despite being the samelength) but morphed into one tee with a tree in the middle of it where you can choose which side you tee from.

davidsauls
Apr 30 2008, 01:01 PM
As best I recall, Oregon Park near Atlanta is/was a 9-holer with 2 tees, not long & short, but left & right, giving entirely different looks on each hole. The idea was you could play one round on 1 set of tees, a second round on the other, and have played 18 different holes.

This could possibly be done on an 18-hole course, if desired.

One drawback is, like multiple pin placements, unless you're careful you end up with one tee being much preferred over the other. The difficulty is in designing them close enough in challenge for the player to agonize over which to use.

Might be a little chaotic in a tournament if you gave each player a choice. Imagine if the first & third players in the group chose the left tee, and the others the right tee.

superberry
May 04 2008, 06:26 PM
I think the point of the question might be this - would in be okay to have two separate and legal areas to tee from? e.g. half your group tees from one and the other half on a different one? One tee would obviously be easier than the other based on throwing style, but if you had a choice, I don't think anyone could complain about someone else throwing from a different tee that you felt would be more difficult anyway.

keithjohnson
May 07 2008, 12:57 AM
and I believe the plinko hole at the Grange has a tee pad like 15 feet wide so you can decide your approach.

Correct..Hole 17 on Sunnyside

This hole is used in a Supertour every year, so I would think that it isn't an issue. You could always ask the comp committee contact for a waiver if you are super worried about it.

drscholl14
May 09 2008, 03:07 PM
There is a college here in MN that has a 9 hole disc golf course and each hole has 2 (I believe some even have three) tees that provide different drives for the different tees. It is a quick and easy way to make a 9 hole course play like an 18 when you play two rounds using the blue tees the first round and then the yellow tees the second. I think it's a nice idea.

bigchiz
May 10 2008, 12:35 PM
Our first course was designed in 1989 with one set of tees. The other courses in our area have been designed with two tees. This helps to make it good for the beginning rec player, and offers more challenge for more experienced players.

mutt
Jun 17 2008, 11:29 PM
We have been talking about it at one of our courses here. We have room on most of the holes to put a second tee pad in to make a different shot. We already have a second set of sleeves so we have two pin locations. Our goal is to someday get the second tee pads in.

JCthrills
Jun 19 2008, 02:06 PM
Northwestway Park here in Indianapolis has trapezoid tee pads allowing for either left or right run ups. Sadly that is the only good part about the course as it was very very poorly designed with a jogging/biking trail winding through the entire course & dangerously close to holes.

In tournament play I would think one tee pad would have to be designated per round similar to the Riney B hole mentioned earlier in the thread. (that's an awesome new course by the way) For cost effectiveness I would think a second pin placement would be the way to go as opposed to pouring 2 sets of tee pads. Then the local club can move pins monthly or however often, maybe every other hole once a month or something along those lines.