switzerdan
Apr 26 2008, 08:04 PM
So, my old computer died and I've got the new one together. Without giving me the usual crap about how Microsoft sucks and I should go with something else, just tell me whether I should go with XP or Vista. I had XP on the old computer and was very happy with it.

I use the computer mostly for office programs (Word, Excel, Open office), surfing the net, some stuff with pictures, some games - but not many or often. I also Skype with my family back in the States.

I will say that one advanage I see to Vista is that I can get an English version here. I can't get an English version of XP.

kkrasinski
Apr 26 2008, 08:55 PM
A lot of software has problems running on Vista. Windows has problems running on Vista. Stick with XP, IMO.

alirette
Apr 26 2008, 10:09 PM
I'm running two computers with Vista and two with XP. As long as your new computer is Vista compatible, I would recommend using Vista for the added security. Also note that you should use Microsoft Office 2003 or better. If you have any issues or questions, I'm sure I can help. :cool:

Grog
Apr 27 2008, 12:15 AM
Vista's issues come from dealing with software applications that will not work with a 64 bit OS. Most XP apps are 32 bit, although there was also a 64 bit version available. There is a setting available in Vista that allows you to change the environment to 32 bit to allow these applications to run. However when I was testing XP64 it didn't work in all instances. Depending on your peripherals ie. scanner, printer, etc be prepared to have to download new drivers. If you are running Vista as part of a local network it needs to be the central machine. It doesn't speak to 32 bit OS very well, but it does listen.

The improved security features are intrusive while they are in the learning phase, but can be disabled if you wish. At that point it makes Vista a moot point. Once you have finished training the app it is noticable faster, especially since you will have it on a newer machine with more RAM. If it wasn't for a key application I use for web publishing I would use Vista.

Pizza God
Apr 28 2008, 04:52 AM
Dont ask me, I finally moved to XP from 98 last year.

I don't use Outlook so I don't really have much security issues other something a good spy blocker wont fix. But then I don't "cruse" the web much other than the sites I visit every day.

Roosta
Apr 28 2008, 08:23 AM
OSX

toohigh
Apr 28 2008, 04:12 PM
No question, stick with XP. Vista is horrible from what I hear.

Without giving me the usual crap about how Microsoft sucks and I should go with something else

OSX

well there is the crap.

michellewade
Apr 28 2008, 06:25 PM
I also bought a new laptop and it came with Vista so I tried it out. Aesthetically, it looks awesome. But functionally, it sucks balls. I'm now in the process of finding my old XP disks and going backwards to XP. I've heard same from others - it has too many pop up windows, etc. At first I stood up for Vista but as I became more of a real user, I'm now anti-Vista and going back to XP.

Alacrity
May 13 2008, 02:42 PM
I just moved an old laptop to Ubuntu Linux and will never go back. The software is free, there is software that does everything else that windows does and it is also free. There are a few issues with drivers, but alot of them have been worked out. It is faster than XP or Vista, it does not hang if a program fails, it closes the program and keeps on ticking. I am now considering converting the remaining pc's in my household. If you want a customized desktop checkout a routine called Beryl. Also free. Need a nice office program, Open Office is free.

Did I mention it is free? I was concerned about doing it at first, but was amazed at how easy it was to install and how compatable it was with my laptop. When I first looked at Linux, I thought that since it was free it was not worth anything, I was wrong. The OS is amazing. Yesterday I decided to run a Windows routine on the laptop and found a Windows emulator that is not an emulator WINE, that will allow me to run almost any windows routine that I have paid for already. And if that program crashes, unlike Windows XP or Vista, the OS just closes out that window and keeps running. Oh yeah, it is also free.

Pizza God
May 13 2008, 02:59 PM
I like free :D

The computer geeks I know mostly use Linux on there laptops.

Alacrity
May 13 2008, 03:10 PM
Bryan,

In all honesty, I am not a Linux freek and was very tentitive about using it, but after messing with it over the weekend, I am sold. Unless you need very specific Windows only software, Linux is a great OS. There are multiple "Releases" as well and some as pratically Windows in operability. I have four computers in the house and I am thinking of moving 3 of them to Ubuntu Linux and only leaving 1 on Windows XP because of some 3D graphics software I own.

my_hero
May 13 2008, 03:19 PM
I purchased a new PC in November. Vista was giving people a lot of headaches with their video cameras, printers, etc, so i found a PC that came with XP. It was a seamless transfer from the old pc to the new.

Pizza God
May 13 2008, 03:26 PM
I am not a Linux freek

Not yet at least :D

gnduke
May 13 2008, 04:19 PM
Buncha geeks...
Does abacus run cleanly on open office ?
I haven't got ubuntu loaded yet.

Alacrity
May 13 2008, 05:16 PM
I will try to find out in the next couple of days.

Lyle O Ross
May 14 2008, 04:58 PM
I just moved an old laptop to Ubuntu Linux and will never go back. The software is free, there is software that does everything else that windows does and it is also free. There are a few issues with drivers, but alot of them have been worked out. It is faster than XP or Vista, it does not hang if a program fails, it closes the program and keeps on ticking. I am now considering converting the remaining pc's in my household. If you want a customized desktop checkout a routine called Beryl. Also free. Need a nice office program, Open Office is free.

Did I mention it is free? I was concerned about doing it at first, but was amazed at how easy it was to install and how compatable it was with my laptop. When I first looked at Linux, I thought that since it was free it was not worth anything, I was wrong. The OS is amazing. Yesterday I decided to run a Windows routine on the laptop and found a Windows emulator that is not an emulator WINE, that will allow me to run almost any windows routine that I have paid for already. And if that program crashes, unlike Windows XP or Vista, the OS just closes out that window and keeps running. Oh yeah, it is also free.

That's it, Alacrity for President. Another version we use is Suise, very good stuff. Ub is known to be easy and very user fiendly, especially for the install, it is also safe! Suise is also good not as easy but more useful for a programmer or more knowledgeable user.

Also, we use Open Office at a high level, it has some quirks but it is darn good given it's free!

Vista stinks, I've seen it ruin more than one computer. The business world refused to accept it when it came out thus forcing Microsith to continue to support XP and allow manufacturers to move it. The rumor has it that even MS acknowledges the problem and that the next release will jump over Vista to something else.

Lyle O Ross
May 14 2008, 05:01 PM
One other thing I forgot, our programmers also say that Ub has very low hardware requirements. Even going down to a 512 processor... :eek:

Pizza God
May 14 2008, 07:11 PM
see