TexasAggie
Apr 23 2008, 11:41 PM
I was thinking yesterday... what would be the best way to keep putting stats in disc golf? I know in BG they do the obvious and count the number of strokes taken from the putting surface (with 36 putts per round being a common goal), but the situation is a little bit different for us.

One method would be to count the number of strokes taken from within the 10m circle. That way anything made from outside the circle counts as a sort of "chip in", and a reasonable goal might be to take 18 or fewer 'putts' per round. Has anybody thought about this before, or is there already a standard way of keeping this stat?

cgkdisc
Apr 23 2008, 11:54 PM
We started developing a system last year that worked pretty well. We counted shots from outside 10m where the player took a putting stance and the player actually called a putt that was a long range attempt versus a lay-up. Then count putts inside 10m and putts inside 5m. Track your percentages and how many putts taken total during a round. In addition, you want to track your percentage of 2 or fewer putts made from outside 10m. If that's too low, you might want to consider not taking as many putts versus lay-ups from outside 10m.

keithjohnson
Apr 24 2008, 01:28 AM
Chuck, are you planning on doing this at worlds, or any NT'S this year?

I enjoyed taking part in the stats gathering at the HofF classic in augusta last year.

Although since I jump putt from about 120 ft in to the edge of the circlecircle, i definately skewed some of those numbers. :D

cgkdisc
Apr 24 2008, 08:39 AM
No plans at the moment but the idea is still alive. One thing Steve West is planning with my assistance is some driving distance measuring by division/rating at the MN Majestic so we can update some of those numbers since I did them at Am & Pro Worlds in 2002.