mynameisJonas
Apr 18 2008, 08:25 AM
The Charleston Disc Golf Club and Trophy Lakes Water Sports will be hosting the 3rd annual Summer Sling at the private Trophy Lakes Disc Golf course. Everyone is envited to come and enjoy the championship course June 28-29 2008. It has never looked better. Our local hero, Trevor, has put a couple hundred hours of work into the course.

June 28-29, 2008

4 rounds of disc golf

Camping at the lakes is available for a fee. Primitive camping and RV hookups are available. I'll get the prices posted soon.

This will be a "C" Tier event and a SCDGO point series event.

All divisions will be offered. I will post a flyer soon.

Spread the word!

MTL21676
Apr 18 2008, 09:00 AM
Dang it!!

This was on my tournament list this year but Tarheel tournament is the same weekend

dang it!!

stack
Apr 18 2008, 11:24 AM
oh man.... Tarheel v Trophy Lakes

this outta be interesting

BIGwheels
Apr 18 2008, 04:30 PM
It is a no brainer... TLakes!!!

MTL21676
Apr 18 2008, 05:21 PM
well its a no brainer for me too.

UNC is a B Tier
TL is a C Tier
UNC is 30 min away
TL is 4 hours away

BIGwheels
Apr 18 2008, 07:02 PM
you forgot one thing... it's TLAKES!!

stack
Apr 18 2008, 11:08 PM
Trophy Lakes and Chapel Hill are both great courses Wheels but you forgot one thing about TLakes... its Down By Da Beach... Booooyeeee!

from Charlotte... unc ~2:15... chucktown... ~3:30
i'm going out on a limb here and still saying that most charlotte guys will be hanging w/ 'the other' CDGC that weekend.

still sucks to have to choose.... depending on how they do the exclusionary zone (or whatever they call it w/ not having 2 tourneys close together) i think these are borderline.

mynameisJonas
Apr 21 2008, 10:20 AM
We are in the process of getting all the sponsors together for this event. We should have some added cash, a keg and a live band at the lakes for the players party.

It is tough to get an open weekend these days between Georgia, NC and SC. I hope we get some folks down from out of state, but this has always been a home grown event.

I played for the first time yesterday. I made it through 18 holes and I was done. The course is playing long at par 61 right now. #6 is long again and we have added long tee pads to a couple holes. Man the weather was great too.

The main reason I didn't make this a B tier is to save money for the event. We have enough added cash to make it a B tier, but we save money in the sanctioning fee and player fees. That is over $100 added back into the payout for the players.

MICHAELMART
Apr 23 2008, 07:33 AM
I can't wait to FINALLY make it to DA BEACH this yr! I haven't yet played this tournament but have hear many good things...Again, it's my plan to be there

mynameisJonas
Apr 23 2008, 09:46 AM
You won't be disappointed.

The camping situation out there is top notch too. The Sat night player's party is getting better everyday. Newcastle sponsorship. Live music. Private lake front camp site.

mynameisJonas
Apr 29 2008, 03:47 PM
The course is ready, are you?

Official Flyer (http://scdgo.net/2008_trophylakes_sling_flyer.pdf)

mynameisJonas
May 12 2008, 11:57 AM
We have $625 of added cash so far, with more coming.

Newcastle is sponsoring our player's party at the lake.

mynameisJonas
May 15 2008, 08:25 AM
Summer Sling Paypal Link (http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/h/charlestondiscgolf/2008%20Summer%20Sling%20Paypal.htm)

KevinJohnson
May 15 2008, 03:13 PM
What has 2 thumbs and is goin to this event??? THIS GUY! haha. Not gonna miss this one this year!

michaeljo
May 15 2008, 03:52 PM
now you are making me want to organize a trip to the Lakes

phluffhead
May 15 2008, 05:15 PM
If I'm not in Ohello that weekend I'll carpool with ya. The Newcastle caught my eye. I'm going for the most attended nonplaying award plus I can chill at the beach while you chuck

BIGwheels
May 15 2008, 07:00 PM
You know I am down, gotta return to my old stomping grounds... this might have to be a Charlotte Invasion!

michaeljo
May 15 2008, 07:41 PM
now we can see if we can get the Ant to go as well, he always enjoys Charleston

BIGwheels
May 15 2008, 07:53 PM
now I have an excuse to camp out at the lakes, kind of silly when you live there

michaeljo
May 16 2008, 10:19 AM
well it would have been a little odd to camp at the lakes when you could have gotten home to your own bed faster than being able to set up a tent!

phluffhead
May 16 2008, 10:51 AM
Darn can't make it have a wedding up in OaSsU country. But I get to play Hoover i guess

cwphish
May 16 2008, 11:18 AM
R U bringing the new one?

phluffhead
May 16 2008, 12:00 PM
Girl or banana?

cwphish
May 16 2008, 12:12 PM
LMAO!

phluffhead
May 16 2008, 12:15 PM
Hopefully both

mynameisJonas
Jun 06 2008, 10:01 AM
Trophy Lakes Course Map (http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/h/charlestondiscgolf/trophylakes-map.jpg)

This is the latest with the new distances.

mynameisJonas
Jun 16 2008, 11:19 AM
Less than 2 weeks. Still spots open to play in the best Summer Sling yet. Added cash is up to $725. Tee shirts for the first 40 amatuers. I played there Sat after putting in some work with the CDGC. It sure is nice to take a refreshing dip in the lake prior to or after your HOT round. Thanks to Trevor for making Trophy Lakes better everyday.

sbrown
Jun 17 2008, 07:39 PM
Jonas:

I am in......The entry is in the mail in the AM.....Will all rounds for advanced be from the blue?

Can't wait to see Trevor's handy work....Nice to have an arborist living on the grounds!!!!!

See you next weekend.

Steve Brown

DNA_2
Jun 18 2008, 01:21 AM
Jonas can you go ahead and put me on the list? Mike and I are making the trip down to play. Thanks alot and congrats on the USDGC spot. See you soon. DNA

mynameisJonas
Jun 18 2008, 11:39 AM
I am planning on 1 round for everyone from the Red tees. It is a nice change and plays a little faster/easier. The other 3 rounds will all be from Blue tees. Intermediates and Advanced/Int Women will play all rounds from the red tees.

Thanks DNA! See y'all soon!

Parman
Jun 22 2008, 09:12 PM
Excited for a cool dip in the lake after a hot day at Trophy. I hear good rumors also of refreshing entertainment Saturday. A BIG thumbs up to Jonas and the CDGC. See you Friday!

wisco
Jun 23 2008, 09:19 AM
Jonas, can you put me down for this one. I will be making the trip on Friday. Thanks, Zach.

mynameisJonas
Jun 23 2008, 11:19 AM
You are in it!

More work on the course this past weekend for the masses coming to John's Island.

If you have lots of energy after your round you can always do some wakeboarding or water skiiing for a fee. Big air contest?

mynameisJonas
Jun 24 2008, 09:19 AM
We are 50% full. Pretty good for pre-registration only. The Open field looks great, maybe the masters will move up?

DNA_2
Jun 24 2008, 11:19 PM
I second that. Masters might as well move up lol is the added cash still at 725.00

mynameisJonas
Jun 25 2008, 08:31 AM
Sure is. Plus the product sponsorship of 2 kegs of Newcastle for the player's party Sat evening at the lakes. We had a couple more looking good but they fizzled. The Charleston Classic will try and top that by a lot.

Parman
Jun 25 2008, 06:55 PM
Yo Jonas. We are leaving Friday at Noon. Also, please move my prodigious arse to Open please.

sbrown
Jun 25 2008, 10:30 PM
Joe E ?????

mynameisJonas
Jun 26 2008, 08:45 AM
Ant movin on up!

Chillin on the West coast on vacation. Everyone is missing him terribly.

michaeljo
Jun 26 2008, 10:19 AM
thats gotta be the biggest open field in Charleston outside of some of the Classics now.
mj

IDGC Superintendent
Jun 26 2008, 10:21 AM
ant movin on up!

Chillin on the West coast on vacation. Everyone is missing him terribly.

<font color="green"> AUNTY GALE!!!</font>

mynameisJonas
Jun 27 2008, 08:39 AM
I got some Georgia boys coming up too, but I am done updating the pre-reg for now.

Scores will be posted Sat night like a good boy should. I wish I could post pictures of all the work that went into making the course look like it does for this weekend. It has never looked so pimped. The water is high on the lake so there will be no mercy.

sbrown
Jun 29 2008, 08:05 PM
Many thanks to the CDGC....In a word, awesome......What else can you say about Trophy Lakes.....Lots of improvements made to the course....Great job, great event.....Thanks to ALL of the sponsors!!!!

Trevor........Can you come down to Hardeeville, and build us some benches ;) ;) ;).

Can't wait for the Charleston Open.........See you in December!!

SB

stack
Jun 29 2008, 11:45 PM
Congrats on the Wins MJ &amp; Blaine!

davidsauls
Jun 30 2008, 08:20 AM
Many thanks due.

To Jonas &amp; staff for putting on a flawless tournament.

To Trevor and everyone else involved in grooming the course....a fine course, in terrific condition.

To the divers for retrieving all those sunken discs.

To the property owners for allowing such a course on their premises, and allowing all of us to play in their yard. Jonas, please pass along this extra thanks to them, on our behalf.

I'm curious about the storm. I had been finished for no more than 3 minutes when the skies exploded and, being DFL and 3 hours from home, rudely left. Was everyone off the course? If not, how long did the storm last before finishing and/or tiebreakers? There must be some good stories.

mynameisJonas
Jun 30 2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the good feedback. Trevor, Andrew and several other CDGC members helped do some work out there, but Trevor is the man. I will be sure to thank the property owners, it really is a nice piece of land to play on.

The rain opened up just when people were finishing. Everyone finished, and I think they all finished just before the really bad stuff hit. We were tallying our scores and had to run for cover. Several cards had to take evasive action on their way back to shelter. No one was injured in the completion of this event.

We gave away lots of CTPs, 2 aces, and lots of added cash given away. The payout was pretty great for a C tier event.

Thanks to all who came to support us. The Charleston Disc Golf Club is a heck of an organization thanks to its dedicated members. Club members got all the sposorships, provided water, party favors and provided all aspects of running the event including providing lodging for many participants. I can't thank the club enough for all that they do. They can play too: Winning Advanced, Advanced Women, Advanced Master and Intermediate.

Team Chuck Rules!

davidsauls
Jul 02 2008, 12:25 PM
Two ideas to consider for next year (for whatever they're worth).

* Making the "red tee round" the 3rd, instead of the 4th. It would really give 2 changes-of-pace: to the short tees, and back to the long tees. Plus, if a division comes down to the wire (never an issue for me, personally), they would be deciding it on the longer, toughest tees.

* There's a big difference between starting on the HQ side of the lake, and the far side. My Advanced Masters benefited from starting on holes 17 &amp; 18, avoiding the long walks. It might be chivalrous to start the womens groups on holes 1-6, or 17-18, and grant them this benefit.

By the way, I don't know about other groups, but we never enountered serious backups all weekend. We'd get to a tee and have the group ahead of us on the fairway, and have to wait, but only once did we ever reach a tee with the group ahead of us still there.

mynameisJonas
Jul 02 2008, 02:49 PM
This event is getting bigger every year. We hope that trend continues in 2009. I always appreciate the feedback and I got some other informal suggestions. I take it all in and next year we will try and make it the best ever.

We had some obstacles thrown at us this year with the water ski tournament and scuba divers. We managed to get through it without any major problems. Thanks to the competitors for their suggestions and patience.

See you in December and hopefully next year at the Sling '09!