JHBlader86
Apr 18 2008, 01:23 AM
Obviously from the title I am in the beginning stages of putting together a night for all junior disc golfers here in BG. I have already received emails from parents who would love to get their kids involved in a jr. league night, so the support is there. I already have run regular summer league for the older, more experienced players, but working with kids is totally different, so for anyone who does have experience in this field, your advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you to anyone who responds!

discette
Apr 18 2008, 08:20 AM
Handicapped league allows kids of all skill levels to play together and have fun!
Check out discgolfunited.com (http://discgolfunited.com/)

davidsauls
Apr 18 2008, 08:34 AM
Have someone involved with prior experience running organized youth programs. There are issues dealing with kids, and dealing with parents, to consider in advance.

Apr 18 2008, 11:24 AM
Patience and prozac.....

davidsauls
Apr 18 2008, 11:47 AM
You might consider some sort of team play, if nothing more than Captain's Choice doubles, or combined scores, or something, instead of the normal "each man for himself" format. Pre-teens and younger seem to gravitate more to team sports than individual sports.

JHBlader86
Apr 18 2008, 02:41 PM
I like the team aspect. But I am alos hoping to get some of the more experienced locals involved to help give lessons to the kids.

stevenpwest
Apr 19 2008, 01:37 PM
Speaking from my own experience working with youth, my one most important piece of advice would be:

Put the safety of the children ahead of everything else.

Some scenarios you want to avoid: Four kids go off to play a wooded course, and three come back. The group on hole 4 is verbally attacked for playing too slow by the drunken group behind them. The guy who sits in his car staring at the playground all day shows little Sally how he makes friends. One of the adults yells at one of the kids: "You idiot, I said throw forehand!"

You'll want to get someone who is trained in keeping youth safe to set boundaries of what the kids and older helpers can and can't do.

Just as an example: Get permission slips from the parents for every kid, saying they give you permission to take charge of their children, and authorizing emergency medical care. Attach a copy of their health insurance information. Keep the forms in the possession of whoever is with the kids.

Kids and parents will both be more comfortable knowing what the boundaries are.

On other topics:

Kids love to learn, but don't call it "lessons" (remember piano lessons?). Show them the EDGE DVD. Let them learn by imitating someone who is good. "Hey, watch this!" gets a better reaction than "Sit down, it's time for your lesson."

Consider having a responsible, experienced player play with each group. That player can drop little nuggets of knowledge along the way. That player can also watch over the kids to keep them safe.

Let the youth develop the program. They know what they like. Youth can make decisions that are just as good as adults, but it takes them five times a long. Give them the time.