dionarlyn
Apr 17 2008, 02:01 AM
I'm a 988 rated player, right handed for every shot that I throw. I also like to mess around and play exclusively left handed rounds for fun, to which I am closer to 900 rated. I've recently wanted to play some intermediate for fun and see what happens. Most players I talk to have a major problem with that idea, stating that it isnt "fair" in one way or another. Many other people just wonder why I would want to even try. Personally I enjoy the competition and like seeking improvement, and since my right and left hands are seperate enough entities, shouldn't I be allowed to play? Also - could I join the pdga as a Lefty Dion Arlyn, and track any stats I may have? I know this sounds hokey, but what do you out there think?

pgcarlos
Apr 17 2008, 04:37 AM
It wouldn't bother me as long as you didn't switch back for a realy tough or longer hole. I play with Brian Cook who throws Lefty forehand about 90 percent of the time. He switches hands on some holes he cant get a good anhyzer line on. I don't think the PDGA would allow 2 different Ron-the-whips.

crotts
Apr 17 2008, 07:45 AM
physical ability is only part of any sport. so i'd say no you shouldn't be able to have two memberships. if you dont care about ratings just play certain tournaments lefty and see how you do.

: ) :

cgkdisc
Apr 17 2008, 08:20 AM
Playing opposite handed when needed should just be a skill that is used to impart opposite spin where it might be useful if it's easier for you to learn and you do it better than throwing forehand with your dominant arm.

chris
Apr 17 2008, 09:06 AM
I have wondered and thought about the same thing! I agree with Ron, I am not ambidextrous and am around 80 rating points worse with my left hand. However, I'm not about to play a pro tournament at a 925 rated level. I honestly don't see why we couldn't sign up for another membership and play lefty tournaments. I have entered tournaments before and just paid a $5 non pdga few and went under a different name to play a lefty tournament in intermediate (I had a blast) . . . Though it would be nice to have stats kept through the pdga. Obviously not everyone would want to do this since some players use both hands to throw in regular tournaments. Why would there be a problem as long as you played within your skill level division? If you started getting good left handed just move up to the next division like you would right handed!

MTL21676
Apr 17 2008, 09:11 AM
I think the problem is there are no and should be no rules regarding someone throwing with their off hand.

So technically someone could be playing as their off hand in a PDGA tournament under thier off hand name but then throw some shots with their dominant hand.

chris
Apr 17 2008, 09:20 AM
The whole purpose of doing this would be to challenge "Yourself" and to see what your capable of doing left handed. Strange as it may seem, I actually enjoy attempting to beat my own personal records, whether it's left handed or right handed! Why would you want to cheat against yourself? If you really wanted to win you could just play open and throw right handed and beat everyone in the tournament, not just ams! When I played intermediate I was in the middle of the pack. Rather than trying to justify whether I should have been in that division or not, wouldn't you think people would be more concerned about why the guy who has been playing for 5 years in intermediate is winning?

MTL21676
Apr 17 2008, 09:25 AM
Oh I highly doubt that anyone would ever stoop to the level that I mentioned.....well....I would hope someone wouldn't, but it wouldn't surprise me anymore.

The bottom line is b/c it is technically possible for my scenario to happen, multiple PDGA memberships per person won't happen.

However, someone has a PDGA membership for thier dog.....so who knows.

bruce_brakel
Apr 17 2008, 09:30 AM
The PDGA has a rule against you playing under an assumed name, so that would probably mean you can't have an assumed name for off handed play.

I played lefty at league on Wednesday. I throw short lefty holes left handed at tournaments. Putting left handed is a challenge.

crgadyk
Apr 17 2008, 10:34 AM
I go out every so often and play entire rounds lefty just to keep the body symmetrical. When I used to throw shotput and discus I would throw 30% of my throws lefty to work the muscles on the other side of the body. Its a good exercise in disc golf also... plus its fun to pull out a shot in a tournament and see people scratch their heads trying to figure out how I parked a hole left handed :D

skaZZirf
Apr 17 2008, 10:48 AM
I think it would awesome to be allowed to do so! Why not, extra membership for the org, and a new record. Pretty sure Sprague would kill you guys though.

bschweberger
Apr 17 2008, 11:14 AM
and miTTenZZ, and Phil Arthur, and Ben BoTTe. Both Ben and Phil throw over 400 with both hands.

stack
Apr 17 2008, 11:21 AM
wouldnt that be like someone re-registering w/ the PDGA and say they will only be throwing thumbers or sidearm?

chris
Apr 17 2008, 11:33 AM
Technically . . . I guess ya! My next membership will be Chris "Thumber" Heeren! I would most likely be rated 750 with that name.

MTL21676
Apr 17 2008, 11:45 AM
You should register with just throwing a midrange. God you would suck.

chris
Apr 17 2008, 12:10 PM
I bet I could still keep up with the recreational players, I could still make the putt from 50' away on my 4th shot!

baldguy
Apr 17 2008, 01:23 PM
I don't think the dual-membership thing would ever fly but you gave me a fun idea for an unsanctioned offhand-only event :). I think I would set up ace race style holes at 150' and in for 9 holes, and then have 9 250-350' holes... just gotta figure out a way to be sure that everyone uses their offhand for all shots...

okay it seems like a fun idea but man what a headache :D

bbotte
Apr 17 2008, 01:37 PM
and miTTenZZ, and Phil Arthur, and Ben BoTTe. Both Ben and Phil throw over 400 with both hands.

Used to, but that is only temporary, I'm getting back to that mark. :) I'm going to be ready for the BHMO.

bbotte
Apr 17 2008, 01:53 PM
Next time your buddies are at your local course, before you start, have everyone try to throw a forehand with their off hand, some of the funniest form and shots come from this. Great for a few laughs!

cgkdisc
Apr 17 2008, 01:57 PM
I think I would set up ace race style holes at 150' and in for 9 holes, and then have 9 250-350' holes... just gotta figure out a way to be sure that everyone uses their offhand for all shots...

We used to have an annual mixed doubles event where the guys had to throw shots with their offhand for 9 holes and rollers for 9 holes except putts.

crgadyk
Apr 17 2008, 02:50 PM
Next time your buddies are at your local course, before you start, have everyone try to throw a forehand with their off hand, some of the funniest form and shots come from this. Great for a few laughs!

I threw a few lefty forehands at Griggs doubles last night... there is just no way for a righty to look cool throwing a lefty forehand :D It just doesn't work.

JHBlader86
Apr 17 2008, 03:13 PM
Just call up some buddies, have a little tourney telling them you're going to play off hand and they can play normal.

cgkdisc
Apr 17 2008, 04:13 PM
I don't even look right, I mean my throw look right, as a righty throwing forehand...

the_kid
Apr 17 2008, 04:16 PM
Playing opposite handed when needed should just be a skill that is used to impart opposite spin where it might be useful if it's easier for you to learn and you do it better than throwing forehand with your dominant arm.

Hey Chuck your WRONG!!!

Playing oppisite handed doesn't mean you are giving it opposite spin. I throw RHBH and LHFH on the course and I'm pretty sure they are both useful even though they both go left.

cgkdisc
Apr 17 2008, 04:22 PM
Read what I said. Throw opposite handed if that's better than you throw forehand with your dominant hand for THAT particular spin.

(BTW, that's you're not your :eek:)

dionarlyn
Apr 17 2008, 06:38 PM
Chuck, do have any official stance on one player having two memberships to track different playing abilities?

I'm obviously not good enough to use a left handed throw in a pro sanctioned event like sprague, and theres really no need to - i throw both backhand / sidearm. I'm just curious to see how I stack up against other players who are developing there throwing ability (just like I am with my left hand). Putting is crazy hard left handed - i don't remember it being that tough to do right handed when i first started playing...

the very first time i played all lefty at my home course i shot a +18 (last summer). last month i shot a +9 and yesterday I shot a +2 with four birdies. I'm gaining skill much quicker on this side since the game is already in my head. my best ever right handed is a -11, the course record is -15.

cgkdisc
Apr 17 2008, 06:41 PM
Not allowed. Not because it might not be cool to do so but for protecting potential fraud with other players since we rely on self policing our rules, even though that's not always consistent. There's something percolating for next year that might allow something along the lines of what you're requesting but details not worked out yet.

the_kid
Apr 17 2008, 07:12 PM
Read what I said. Throw opposite handed if that's better than you throw forehand with your dominant hand for THAT particular spin.

(BTW, that's you're not your :eek:)

That's the thing Chuck I don't throw it better than my dominant hand's natural spin yet it is still very useful. I know of many other that do the same thing.

cgkdisc
Apr 17 2008, 07:18 PM
My only point was that having throws with the non-dominant hand isn't a second category of throwing, just more variety of shot options available for those who can and decide to use them.

Dana
Apr 17 2008, 10:19 PM
Phil Arthur

I was lucky enough to play 4 rounds in the past 2 weekends with Phil, and he can crush left handed!

This past weekend at BG, I had a handful of lefty birdies as well as good lefty t-shots and upshots.

Not sure about the whole 2 membership thing. Chris- what event did you play lefty at?

johnbiscoe
Apr 17 2008, 10:23 PM

tom kim too.

bschweberger
Apr 17 2008, 10:31 PM

tom kim too.

I dont know if Tom can Throw 400 lefty but he is smooth with that off hand.

johnbiscoe
Apr 17 2008, 10:50 PM
darn near if not 400.

johnbiscoe
Apr 17 2008, 10:51 PM
weidle's gotten pretty darn good with her left too.

Chris_Sprague
Apr 22 2008, 11:57 AM
Funny - After working for a few hours last night on our new course in Milan, IL (Camden II) the intermediate players working with me, asked if I would join them. I was tired from working all day + the extra hours on the course, so I said I would throw "Off-Handed" I also throw RBH/LFH (like Scooter).

I tied for last about 9 strokes off my previous regular round, (although we had a drinking game going as well)

You really couldn't have dual memberships, but an X-tier tournament could be developed where stats are tracked but not counted against your rating - but posted separately under your name. There would need be a sign up where you indicate your dominant hand for BH/FH/and overhand shots. Would be very cool.

You could also contact Chuck, and I'm sure he could help with an unsanctioned event (getting the ratings).

4 Off hand - Left handed aces!! (1) 2finger lefty ace also (dominant hand)

curious how many other players have off handed aces?

Chris_Sprague
Apr 22 2008, 12:04 PM
One of my aces was classic. My buddies were a few holes into a round at Grandview in Des Moines when I pulled up. I asked if I could jump in for the money round and take the lowest score. They said sure as long as you play left handed, so I did. My first throw was a flip to flat uphill 260ft Ace with a bottom Stamp Roc, and all 7 guys paid me $5!! GVCC!!!

chris
Apr 23 2008, 11:51 AM
Funny, I have aced the same hole (201') both lefty and righty. That is my only left ace and was during a lefty round where I shot -2. Wouldn't have been underpar if it wasn't for the ace!

ChrisWoj
Apr 26 2008, 11:37 PM

You mean backhand, right? Lefty forehand is RIDICULOUSLY easy compared to lefty backhand! I would never dare try a lefty backhand on the course, but there are a ton of times I've used a lefty forehand to get some reach for a lil 75-100 foot shot out of the woods.

-Chris.

bbotte
Apr 28 2008, 04:03 PM
I have aced the same hole lefty and righty with the same Magnet, hole 8b at Hoover. :)

crgadyk
Apr 29 2008, 03:48 PM

You mean backhand, right? Lefty forehand is RIDICULOUSLY easy compared to lefty backhand! I would never dare try a lefty backhand on the course, but there are a ton of times I've used a lefty forehand to get some reach for a lil 75-100 foot shot out of the woods.
-Chris.

You are one of the very few then that think its easier. I throw some lefty backhand and have even used them in tournament play but I look completely retarded (more than usual) when trying to throw a lefty forehand. If I can get it 70' I am amazed.

Lefty backhand is fairly natural to me since its the same swing as swinging a baseball bat or a golf club. You lead with that left hand which is the same pull that my lefty backhand uses. I usually can only throw lefty hyzers but I did play an all lefty round at Griggs this past summer and had a disc chain out on hole 11 which is a complete righty hole :)

veganray
Apr 29 2008, 03:55 PM
I've gotten plenty of 7s right-handed, and I bet I could do it lefty, too! :p

Chris_Sprague
May 01 2008, 11:25 PM
Booty way cool - I have not aced the same hole with both hands yet - especially not with the same disc!

ChrisWoj
May 02 2008, 10:45 PM

-Chris.

You are one of the very few then that think its easier. I throw some lefty backhand and have even used them in tournament play but I look completely retarded (more than usual) when trying to throw a lefty forehand. If I can get it 70' I am amazed.

Lefty backhand is fairly natural to me since its the same swing as swinging a baseball bat or a golf club. You lead with that left hand which is the same pull that my lefty backhand uses. I usually can only throw lefty hyzers but I did play an all lefty round at Griggs this past summer and had a disc chain out on hole 11 which is a complete righty hole :)

See, the thing with me is that the lefty forehand has fewer mechanical aspects to work on. When I was learning the shot I would hold it in my right hand, then grip it with my opposite left hand to make sure I had identical grips.

Then its just keep the elbow in, make sure to flick the wrist hard and bring that forearm hard through the slot, as long as the footing is correct it really is a quick learn.

Also I played neither baseball nor golf, so that could be why the backhand shot is less natural to me.

tiltedhalo
May 09 2008, 11:55 AM

tom kim too.

I was in a tourney out at PawPaw with Tom Kim, and on the 930' long hole on the Whipping Post (I forget the name of the hole), he busted out a righty BH 450' on his drive and a lefty BH 450' on his second shot and sank the 30' putt for the 3 -- the best I've taken on that hole is a 4, and it felt like a miracle. It was sick to watch.

Of course, he was playing on my card back in like 40th place, so being able to pimp the course with both hands wasn't helping him nearly enough :)... still really impressive, though. It's embarassing to watch a guy throw farther with his off hand than I can with my main hand.

stack
May 09 2008, 12:16 PM

tom kim too.

I was in a tourney out at PawPaw with Tom Kim, and on the 930' long hole on the Whipping Post (I forget the name of the hole), he busted out a righty BH 450' on his drive and a lefty BH 450' on his second shot and sank the 30' putt for the 3 -- the best I've taken on that hole is a 4, and it felt like a miracle. It was sick to watch.

Of course, he was playing on my card back in like 40th place, so being able to pimp the course with both hands wasn't helping him nearly enough :)... still really impressive, though. It's embarassing to watch a guy throw farther with his off hand than I can with my main hand.

i've seen it @ a tourney too... amazing! and do you still call it an 'off' hand if they can bomb like that with it?!

ANHYZER
May 20 2008, 12:03 AM
I just got my first lefthanded ace today, hole 1 at Montiel Park, 185ft!

Dana
May 20 2008, 09:38 PM
Nice! I've got two lefty aces- one was during a cash glow round.

What is everyone throwing with their offhands? I havent had much luck throwing putters or shorter shots with the LH. I have found that I have very little touch. Although I can pump a pro wraith or star sidewinder around 350.

MiTTenZZ
May 20 2008, 10:59 PM

True dat. I'm at about 75%+ deuces using the ol left hand on drives. Distance is up around 375 with a good pull.

johnbiscoe
May 21 2008, 12:32 PM

True dat. I'm at about 75%+ deuces using the ol left hand on drives. Distance is up around 375 with a good pull.

if you're hitting 75% with it maybe you should just switch completely... :cool: