fornia
Apr 15 2008, 10:17 PM
Hi!

I just bought a Discatcher Sport...

I've read online about adding an inner set of chains to baskets...

I was going to add six inner chains to make the total 24....???

Are there any regulations on the inner chains in general? Diameter?Size of the inner ring? Length of the inner chains?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Jason
[email protected]

cgkdisc
Apr 15 2008, 10:27 PM
Adding chains makes the basket not PDGA Approved. Removing the whole chain assembly however keeps the basket legal. Strange but true under current guidelines.

krazyeye
Apr 15 2008, 10:44 PM
Unbelievable. I am very close to being kicked off of here.

fornia
Apr 15 2008, 10:46 PM
Why is that?

fornia
Apr 15 2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks Chuck!

However, can I ask why people put the inner set on? If not approved, why would you pracitce one it.

Im a newbie...any insight would be great.

gnduke
Apr 15 2008, 10:53 PM
Innova used to sell an inner chain set for the Mach II new.

I ordered one for mine and after a few modifications was very happy with it.

cgkdisc
Apr 15 2008, 10:58 PM
It's not that inner chains are illegal, but the deflection device as approved is changed as a result of adding chains. If the inner chains are on the basket as manufactured, like the Discatcher Pro, then that version is approved as part of the overall basket approval. Because there are currently no guidelines for how chain deflectors are to be designed, there's no way to do a basket upgrade and retain approval.

However, anyone can submit a homemade basket design and get it approved if it meets the specs. The fee is $350 and your addition of inner chains should pass regardless how you do it. Note that except for the highest level events, having a PDGA approved portable basket is not required so I wouldn't worry about getting approval.

the_kid
Apr 15 2008, 11:11 PM
It's not that inner chains are illegal, but the deflection device as approved is changed as a result of adding chains. If the inner chains are on the basket as manufactured, like the Discatcher Pro, then that version is approved as part of the overall basket approval. Because there are currently no guidelines for how chain deflectors are to be designed, there's no way to do a basket upgrade and retain approval.

However, anyone can submit a homemade basket design and get it approved if it meets the specs. The fee is $350 and your addition of inner chains should pass regardless how you do it. Note that except for the highest level events, having a PDGA approved portable basket is not required so I wouldn't worry about getting approval.

But I have played many A-tiers with baskets that had inner chains added afterwards.............. So how is the M-14 approved anyway?

cgkdisc
Apr 15 2008, 11:25 PM
Look at page 4 in the 2008 Tour Standards: www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08TourStandards.pdf (http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08TourStandards.pdf)
PDGA baskets are not required at any level. However, for specific events like Worlds where the local team signs a sanctioning agreement, PDGA approved double chain baskets are required.

If M-14 is approved, it must have met the spec. Which spec do you believe it didn't meet?

the_kid
Apr 16 2008, 12:07 AM
Look at page 4 in the 2008 Tour Standards: www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08TourStandards.pdf (http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08TourStandards.pdf)
PDGA baskets are not required at any level. However, for specific events like Worlds where the local team signs a sanctioning agreement, PDGA approved double chain baskets are required.

If M-14 is approved, it must have met the spec. Which spec do you believe it didn't meet?

The catching spec. :D

Jroc
Apr 16 2008, 01:01 PM
I did the exact thing you are proposing to my Discatcher Sport. You can find the exact chain-type at your local hardware store (I got mine at Lowes). I used all-weather zip-ties to attach them to the upper "spokes". They have lasted almost 2 years now.

It improves the catchability greatly; a great investment IMO.

seewhere
Apr 16 2008, 01:18 PM
use S hooks for the top and then use a covered wire to loop through the bottom of the chains with one of those deals that you put both ends of the wire in and tighten it up.

gnduke
Apr 24 2008, 02:41 PM
I connected the new inner chains to the same ring as the outer most chains. This takes the tension off or the inner ring just before the disc hits them.