omarroper
Apr 09 2008, 08:21 PM
I'm surprised that there has not been any smack talk about the HB tournament this year.

Here is my prediction:
Open
1st - McBeth
2nd - Crabtree
3rd - McIntee

Advanced
1st - Gomez (Bagger)
2nd - Side Arm Dave Roper
3rd - Carl Beanieman Renda

I just don't see any locals taking the advanced division. :eek: :eek: :eek:
Prove me wrong, I dare ya. :)

csrenda79
Apr 10 2008, 02:39 PM
Are you saying i'll be 3rd overall or 3rd out of the three of us? 3rd overall I would be happy with, but I am trying to beat the both of you. Doesn't matter really, I just want to go out there and play my game.

omarroper
Apr 10 2008, 04:37 PM
3rd overall.
Just a prediction and some smack talk. :)

flyboy
Apr 10 2008, 05:26 PM
Gomez still likes to play tennis with his sister, and slam it on her :DKevin your player rating does not match the division you want to play in team kite string.If you mom was a pegion she would have kicked you from the nest a long time ago.Take of you panties and try on some boxers......Biggest bagger in socal and proud of it.This is a complement to your game step up and play with MEN........ :o

omarroper
Apr 10 2008, 07:59 PM
All Gomez related smack talk should be directed here.
PDGA Gomez Blog (http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Club040&Number=643509&pag e=1&fpart=all)
This is strictly a HB smack talk page. :)

flyboy
Apr 11 2008, 05:10 PM
The HB event has 3 pro players playing in the AM division that has a waiting list.#1 Kevin Gomez 964 #2 Matthew Wilcznski 962 and #3 Jason Colbert 960.These are pro player ratings ,I will strongly suggest ,that either Travis or Will West to do what is right, and move them up to the pro pool.It still has 8 spots open ....Does your mom still make your bed, and cut the crust off of you peanut butter and jelly sandwitch? :D

discette
Apr 11 2008, 05:29 PM
These Amateur players registered early and have every right to play in the Am divisions. Travis and Wil are already doing the right thing, as you can not force a current PDGA Amateur member to play Pro.

The people on the waiting list should have registered sooner if playing in this event was so important to them.

omarroper
Apr 11 2008, 09:54 PM
Suzette
Isn't it true that even a 1000+ AM player has every right to play MA1? I did not think they could force players to move to PRO under the new rules. Is this correct?

csrenda79
Apr 12 2008, 02:47 AM
There is a 982 and a 973 rated am in next week's Am Masters Cup.

the_kid
Apr 13 2008, 12:20 AM
Gomez still likes to play tennis with his sister, and slam it on her :DKevin your player rating does not match the division you want to play in team kite string.If you mom was a pegion she would have kicked you from the nest a long time ago.Take of you panties and try on some boxers......Biggest bagger in socal and proud of it.This is a complement to your game step up and play with MEN........ :o

Pro ratings? I guess 955 is too if you don't plan on cashing..................in masters. :o

flyboy
Apr 13 2008, 10:11 PM
McBeth wins HB in playoff with Philo on first hole.Philo had a 50 ft put to win on last hole of final 9.Carlo took 3rd and the siliant assian in 4th.There were some bombs being thrown in the final 9, parks are getting too small ,for these cannons.The weather, and staff ,were awsome ,I wish I could say the same ,for my game. HB Future world champ ,and rookie of the year,17 year old Mc Beth cummin to your town to take some skrilla. ;)

discette
Apr 14 2008, 11:21 AM
Suzette
Isn't it true that even a 1000+ AM player has every right to play MA1? I did not think they could force players to move to PRO under the new rules. Is this correct?

That is correct. A 1000+ rated AM player who has never accepted cash in a PDGA event could still play in the Advanced division for the rest of his life. A TD cannot force a current PDGA Am member to play in a Pro division regardless of rating.

Also, a 969 rated Pro player is still eligible to play in the Advanced division even if they have accepted cash. (They cannot play in Majors)

dmpdisc
Apr 14 2008, 06:20 PM
Suzette

That is correct. A 1000+ rated AM player who has never accepted cash in a PDGA event could still play in the Advanced division for the rest of his life. A TD cannot force a current PDGA Am member to play in a Pro division regardless of rating.

Also, a 969 rated Pro player is still eligible to play in the Advanced division even if they have accepted cash. (They cannot play in Majors)

ooOooo!

csrenda79
Apr 14 2008, 08:36 PM
Too bad you already played a Major, Dave. (Memorial counts this year)

rizbee
Apr 15 2008, 03:10 PM
The Memorial isn't a Major - it's a national Tour event for Pros and an A-Tier for Ams. Majors: Am and Pro worlds, USDGC, US Masters, US Women's Champ., US Am Nationals, Japan Open, Scandanavian Open, Player's Cup, and a few others - these are all either world or national championships or invitationals.

The Memorial is a great tournament, but it ain't no major.

omarroper
Apr 15 2008, 07:05 PM
Also, I think Suzette meant that someone who has accepted cash can not play in a Amateur Major like AM worlds, NOT someone who has played a Major can not go back to AM status.

Who is up for hitting the 2008 Scandanavian Open?

csrenda79
Apr 16 2008, 01:55 AM
Someone told me at the tournament this year that it was changed for 2008. Anyways, it appears that I am on the wrong side of a scoring error. I shot a 54 the last round of the tournament at HB, made sure it was correct, signed the card and saw it turned in, and saw the 54 posted on the scoreboard and myself in 18th place. But somehow, I look at the final results, and it posted a 58 and an 871 rated round. Now granted, for 18 consecutive pars on a deuce or die course, I should probably penalize myself 4 strokes, but still, I did everything right in turning in my score and the Side arm Bagger is my witness to all of this. What a crappy birthday present!

discette
Apr 16 2008, 10:36 AM
Congratulations to Wil, Travis and the Higher Flyers for putting on an excellent event. Wil is an awesome volunteer. Even though he no longer plays, Wil renews his membership with the Higher Flyers, So Cal and the PDGA every year. He also purchases many So Cal CFR discs. He is one of the kindest and caring people I have ever met and a true promoter of the sport.

The payouts were phenomenal! Plus all the players, (including Pros!) received a player pack that included a tourney t-shirt and custom stamped disc (Pro Destroyer). The Higher Flyers obviously brought in a great amount of sponsorship and paid it out across all divisions. There were a ton of non-playing volunteers helping out all weekend and it showed in how well the event was run. It is not easy to run four rounds in one day and it is certainly not possible without dedicated volunteers.

I understand that even the best run events can't be perfect and that mistakes are made. I hope the negative feedback does not discourage Wil, Travis and the Higher Flyers from hosting the event again next year.

slomanjoe
Apr 16 2008, 02:07 PM
Discette,
Thank you for your kind words. It has been my pleasure to serve you and the Southern California disc golf community.

Carl,
I will look into that scoring error.

csrenda79
Apr 16 2008, 03:13 PM
Wil,

Thank you for being willing to do so. It was obviously just an error because there was nothing but 3's on my scorecard and I saw the 54 posted and the 165 total, and I was tied with Jake Wills.
I had a blast at the tournament and I don't want the statement above to be viewed as negative feedback, I was more trying to alert the right people about the scoring error. It was very well run, the payout was awesome (even though I missed it) and I will definately be back next year, hopefully i'll bring a better game.

dmpdisc
Apr 16 2008, 06:15 PM
2008 Huntington Beach on sandiegoaces.com

omarroper
Apr 16 2008, 07:52 PM
Major props for the HB folks. I was very impressed when I heard the AM payouts were based on wholesale value, not retail.
I had a great time even though the Disc Golf Gods frowned upon me. I will definitely be back next year... :D

csrenda79
Apr 17 2008, 12:08 AM
I echo everything Dave just said. Also, thanks for the quick fix on my score Wil!

Apr 19 2008, 05:41 PM
Who is up for hitting the 2008 Scandanavian Open?

Sure.