widiscgolf
Mar 23 2008, 01:11 AM
What are the requirements for shirts? If they are dri-fit athletic shirts are they ok if they don't have polo collars?

http://www.widiscgolf.com/pdga/07707_m.jpg
http://www.widiscgolf.com/pdga/07707_l.jpg

I'm looking to have shirts done for Sponsored players that play in such events. Would these shirts be ok?

Josh

bruce_brakel
Mar 23 2008, 01:24 AM
There are so many collar types allowed, the so-called collared shirt rule is not a collared shirt rule at all. Read the rule and them do a google images search for those kinds of shirts. Any kind of shirt can be worn at an NT so long as it has a sleeve and is not ripped and does not have offensive words on it and covers your torso.

Those shirts are all good.

widiscgolf
Mar 23 2008, 01:35 AM
Thanks Bruce. I'm having them setup for screen printing so that is why I asked. I thought they would be ok but Moose and I were playing in some NT events this year so I wanted to be prepared. Thanks.

Josh

bruce_brakel
Mar 23 2008, 02:19 AM
Just because they are legal doesn't mean some idiot TD might not tell you otherwise. I had that problem at Am Nationals. I was wearing a completely legal shirt, a dry-fit crew neck, and some junior assistant TD started hassling me about it. I asked him if he knew what a crew neck was. He said no but you can't wear that. I told him if he wanted to kick me out of the tournament, go right ahead. I was [censored] about how badly I was playing and really didn't care. He decided he needed to go get the lunches for the spotters.

The assinine rule says you can wear a crew neck but you can't where a t-shirt. A CREW NECK IS A T-SHIRT!!!

wsfaplau
Mar 23 2008, 01:30 PM
Actually the rule says you can wear a "well tailored" crew neck or a crew neck of "high performance or high tech materials". I just don't see a Hanes Beefy T falling into either of these categories.

Sorry to nitpick but the rule seems pretty clear to me. By the way, I also think its a silly rule. I was at the KC Wide Open NT last year and it clearly wasn't enforced.

Nothing worse than selectively enforced rules.

chainmeister
Mar 23 2008, 05:31 PM
The way I read it the shirts Josh posted are just fine. The same ones in cotton would not be fine because Cotton is old tech not high tech in fabric. I agree that wicking fabrics are much better for play but they really don't look any better so I fail to see the purpose in the rule. A nice looking cotton crew neck shirt would fail. A cotton polo is a poor choice for play because you will sweat all over it but its ok. I guess PDGA is saying that it will not allow sweaty looking beasts on the course in higher tier events unless they have a polo or other collared shirt.

JHBlader86
Mar 26 2008, 12:34 PM
Another problem though, is if you have a sponsor, but the only shirts they have are just cotton t-shirts. You're obligated to wear those shirts but technically you cant so is there some sort of exemption policy in place?

crgadyk
Mar 26 2008, 04:28 PM
Another problem though, is if you have a sponsor, but the only shirts they have are just cotton t-shirts. You're obligated to wear those shirts but technically you cant so is there some sort of exemption policy in place?

I think only open players are required to follow the shirt policy so us AMs should be ok to wear whatever. I just went to the Under Armor outlet store near my house here and bought several polos for $18 each. They are amazingly comfortable and look great for touranements!

rizbee
Mar 27 2008, 03:31 PM
The way I read it the shirts Josh posted are just fine. The same ones in cotton would not be fine because Cotton is old tech not high tech in fabric. I agree that wicking fabrics are much better for play but they really don't look any better so I fail to see the purpose in the rule. A nice looking cotton crew neck shirt would fail. A cotton polo is a poor choice for play because you will sweat all over it but its ok. I guess PDGA is saying that it will not allow sweaty looking beasts on the course in higher tier events unless they have a polo or other collared shirt.

My take on the shirt rule is that it is a backdoor way to exclude the less expensive cotton t-shirts that are often used to advertise/promote alcohol or illegal controlled substances, or those that display "non-family" artwork or language. I don't think I have yet seen a Budweiser high tech t-shirt, or one emblazened with pot leaves or one promoting "Woodie's Longboards" or some similar double-entendre. This is a subtle move by the PDGA to clean up the sport's image. Some would argue that it's not so subtle.

chappyfade
Mar 31 2008, 12:05 AM
Actually the rule says you can wear a "well tailored" crew neck or a crew neck of "high performance or high tech materials". I just don't see a Hanes Beefy T falling into either of these categories.

Sorry to nitpick but the rule seems pretty clear to me. By the way, I also think its a silly rule. I was at the KC Wide Open NT last year and it clearly wasn't enforced.

Nothing worse than selectively enforced rules.

Really? Examples, please. I was the marshal at the event. You can send me a private message about whom you saw if you don't want to call them out on this board. I would have handled it discreetly at the time if you'd bothered to say something then. No one brought any such attire to my attention during the tournament, nor did I witness anyone wearing anything that didn't follow NT guidelines during the event. And with tee times at the same course on Saturday and Sunday, I saw EVERY pro group (Masters, Open, Women, and everyone) both days, and saw most of the groups on Friday as well. Yet, you didn't bring anything to my attention then.

Nothing worse than someone who complains about selective enforcement after the fact, but didn't bother to complain at the time. Nice to know about it 9 months after the fact, but perhaps something could have been done back then, if such a violation actually occurred. Selective enforcement on my part, or selective memory on your part? I'm betting on the latter.

Chap

magilla
Mar 31 2008, 11:46 AM
or one promoting "Woodie's Longboards"

What could possibly be wrong with "Woodie's Longboards"
:confused:

chainmeister
Mar 31 2008, 12:37 PM

My take on the shirt rule is that it is a backdoor way to exclude the less expensive cotton t-shirts that are often used to advertise/promote alcohol or illegal controlled substances, or those that display "non-family" artwork or language. I don't think I have yet seen a Budweiser high tech t-shirt, or one emblazened with pot leaves or one promoting "Woodie's Longboards" or some similar double-entendre. This is a subtle move by the PDGA to clean up the sport's image. Some would argue that it's not so subtle.

If that is the intent, the rule is not the most artful way of acheiving that end. Your post reflects days of yore (at least for me) when young people wore cheap shirts with the message de jour imprinted on a cheap cotton/poly blend. Now, it should not be difficult to find a nice golf shirt with an artful pot leaf or shot glass or other indicia of verboten activities. (It took me about 30 seconds on Google to find this-http://dontmix.blogspot.com/2008/01/hickey-polo-shirts.html ) You likely will not find the trite sayings found in beach side T-shirt shops such as "one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor" or "My parents went to Worlds and all I got was this lousy T- Shirt" or other such poetry. However, there are plenty of nice shirts with ambigioous or inappropriate messages.

cgkdisc
Mar 31 2008, 12:41 PM

Might be promoting subversive 'splinter' group...

magilla
Mar 31 2008, 02:23 PM

Might be promoting subversive 'splinter' group...

:o
:D :D

wsfaplau
Mar 31 2008, 02:52 PM
Chap,

Check your PM

chappyfade
Mar 31 2008, 03:12 PM
Chap,

Check your PM

Thanks for the reply...I'll send you a PM back shortly. It was the "selective" enforcement comment that drew my ire. I feel that attacks my integrity as an official...that comment was uncalled for. If I missed a call, that's absolutely fair game for critiicism, and apparently I missed a player in a wife-beater.....and the player in question is extremely capable of doing exactly what you stated. I'm sure he changed into the wife-beater when he was out of sight, and changed back into his collared shirt when he was in sight. Unfortunately, I can't be everywhere on the course...I have to rely on players to tell me stuff like this when they see it, but this player will be watched more closely in the future.

No hard feelings here....hope there aren't any on your end.

Chap