kjellispv
Mar 18 2008, 05:24 PM
I have been playing for a little over 1 year and i have always used my shoulder and my eyes to point at my intended target. But lately i have been having trouble with this... What do you super accurate throwers use to aim with and hit those tight gaps/?

buzzzboy23
Mar 18 2008, 10:29 PM
instead of always aiming at the basket i use short and long rang targets. dependineg on the wind (since i am a lefty) I would tend to pick a spot ten feet left of the target and then throw keeping the corner of my eye on the target so that i can still get more power and still get accuracy.......
By the way how do you grip your disc??

bschweberger
Mar 19 2008, 12:20 AM
The only time I aim is when I am puTTing.

krazyeye
Mar 19 2008, 01:29 AM
If I aim at trees I hit them. I haven't figured out how to do that with baskets.

kjellispv
Mar 19 2008, 02:27 AM
I use the fork/ power grip. my middle two digits dont touch the rim... I have decent control and accuracy but I seem to go through my ups and downs... Just looking for something that might help my consistency. Just lately i feel like trying to point my shoulder messes up the fluidity of my shot, and feels especially awkward for standing shots and upshots.

buzzzboy23
Mar 19 2008, 11:43 PM
I have also found that trying to just stand at the disc and throw losses your accuracy. I tend to one step or a slow run up just to get synced. This has helped me tremendously.

c_trotter
Mar 20 2008, 03:01 AM

I have figured out your secret.....you just close your eyes and throw a thumber. No wonder you are so good. /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif :D

ANHYZER
Mar 20 2008, 11:26 AM
I have been playing for a little over 1 year and i have always used my shoulder and my eyes to point at my intended target. But lately i have been having trouble with this... What do you super accurate throwers use to aim with and hit those tight gaps/?

Visualize...

lien83
Mar 20 2008, 02:04 PM
don't aim...see, then visualize, and throw.

my_hero
Mar 20 2008, 08:42 PM

[email protected] .....but it's true.

Scott Stokely used to teach people how to aim a backhand shot by using an imaginary linear line that your reachback creates. He would demonstrate it by pointing out a reference point or target, then he would walk through his run-up, reach back to his full extension.....and then stop. He would then ask someone standing behind him where the imaginary "line" that his disc/hand/forearm/elbow/upperarm and shoulder created was pointing to. If it were pointed to the reference point or intended target he would then finish the throw by starting the pull across his chest, with a powerful finishing follow through. The disc thrown would travel SPOT ON down the imaginary linear line that his reachback was pointing to initially. Later on in the clinic he would apply the same technique to the biggest, highest, most powerful hyzer shots ever witnessed. Much like the shots needed to clear 50+ foot trees located on hilltops. :eek: :D

Give it a try. ;)

kjellispv
Mar 20 2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah i wish i pulled straight back-on the imaginary line i throw, but i dont. I do use the imaginary line and it works well. The problem with me is that i bend my elbow and have my wrist cocked, unlike 99% of the pros (saw myself on film for the first time a couple weeks ago.) But once my shoulders start rotating i end up at the same point as these guys, then pull across my body. I am trying to transition to rotating on my heel rather than flat footed or on the ball of my foot, and I am not used to it yet. I wasn't really following through all the way, which i worked on today and that helped me hit that "line more"... Like you mentioned everything has to be lined up, so since my pull isn't I definatly want everything else to be. For me hips/shoulder/Upperarm/eyes...