tim_g
Mar 08 2008, 11:59 PM
Hey all,

I'm planning on taking a DG road trip through Ohio this spring and I've made a potential course list but need some help eliminating a few courses due to time constraints. Here is my list:

* A. J. Jolly Park -- Alexandria, KY
* Banklick Woods Park -- Independence, KY
* Idlewild -- Burlington, KY
* Arboretum-Spiker Park -- Canton, OH
* Belmont Park -- Dayton, OH
* Buck Creek State Park -- Springfield, OH
* Deis Hill Park -- Dover, OH
* Flat Rocks DGC -- Lancaster, OH
* Gordon Holton Memorial DGC -- Delaware, OH
* Great Blue Heron -- Norwalk, OH
* Hedges Boyer Park DGC -- Tiffin, OH
* Hoover Reservoir, Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC -- Columbus, OH
* Lake Shore Park -- Ashtabula, OH
* Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges DGC) -- Massillon, OH
* Lobdell Reserve DGC -- Alexandria, OH
* Mt. Airy Forest -- Cincinnati, OH
* Roscoe Ewing Park -- Medina, OH
* Sawyer Ludwig DGC -- Marion, OH
* Sims Park Disc Golf -- Euclid, OH
* Upper Sandusky Reservoir DGC -- Upper Sandusky, OH

Lake Shore Park and Sims Park Disc Golf don't really count as those are courses I'll try to play on the way home if I have time since they're pretty close to I-90. A few are obviously must-plays (Idlewild, Mt. Airy, Brent Hambrick).

So which courses would you eliminate from the list? I'm looking to remove 2 or 3 and that should hopefully narrow the list down to a manageable number.

* Removed Arthur O. Fisher Park in Dayton, Riverbend in Findlay and Hudson Springs Park in Hudson.

cgkdisc
Mar 09 2008, 01:50 AM
You could skip Findlay. Solid beginner course with excellent park amenities but pretty flat and not much variety. Bucyrus had the other Am Worlds course besides the four you have listed. Depending on your routing, it's a coin flip whether to play Bucyrus vs Tiffin.

Jeff_LaG
Mar 09 2008, 03:10 AM
Deis Hill looks pretty awesome (http://www.doverohio.com/New%20Site/Forms/disc_golf_map2.PDF), especially from the blue tees!

tim_g
Mar 09 2008, 03:38 AM
Thanks Chuck.. I took Findlay out.. after looking at the pics again it didn't seem too exciting.

We will be coming from the northeast corner of the state, going through Cleveland to Akron/Canton and then towards Columbus, dropping down to Cincinnati and then back up towards Columbus and I-90.

If you want to see it laid out geographically, check out my profile on my site:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=1

Click the "Map View" tab and the yellow baskets are the courses I'm considering for the road trip.

Jeff:
Deis does look like fun.. looking forward to playing there :)

Jeff_LaG
Mar 09 2008, 01:22 PM
Looking at your proposed itinerary, it looks like Forked Run is seriously out of the way as compared to all the other courses. But judging just from the few pictures that are posted on your site, it looks like a can't miss course. :cool:

tim_g
Mar 09 2008, 01:25 PM
Yea, I put Forked Run on there last night as a true "wish list" course. I don't think it's realistic to play that one in our time frame :(

If we weren't planning on playing the northern Columbus courses (Tiffin, Marion, etc.) it might be feasible as we could head down there after Akron and the head west and hit Pike Lake and the other courses on the way to Cincinnati.

tim_g
Mar 09 2008, 01:34 PM
Great, now you've got me thinking about cutting those 4 2010 Am courses and going from Forked Run over to Cincinnati. I think I just need to take 2 weeks off and play them all :)

tim_g
Mar 09 2008, 02:59 PM
Jeff, you had to make that comment :) Here's my new and improved course list:

Belmont might not make the cut due to time constraints. We'll have to see how we do. The goal is 4 courses per day except for day 1 and the last day on the way home.

* A. J. Jolly Park -- Alexandria, KY
* Banklick Woods Park -- Independence, KY
* Idlewild -- Burlington, KY
* Arboretum-Spiker Park -- Canton, OH
* Belmont Park -- Dayton, OH
* Deis Hill Park -- Dover, OH
* Flat Rocks DGC -- Lancaster, OH
* Forked Run State Park -- Reedsville, OH
* Great Blue Heron -- Norwalk, OH
* Great Seal State Park -- Chillicothe, OH
* Brent Hambrick Memorial DGC -- Columbus, OH
* Lake Shore Park -- Ashtabula, OH
* Lincoln Park (Oak Ledges DGC) -- Massillon, OH
* Lobdell Reserve DGC -- Alexandria, OH
* Mt. Airy Forest -- Cincinnati, OH
* Pike Lake State Park -- Bainbridge, OH
* Roscoe Ewing Park -- Medina, OH
* Sims Park Disc Golf -- Euclid, OH

Hopefully I'm not missing any great courses.

cgkdisc
Mar 09 2008, 10:12 PM
I think Delaware is much more interesting than Brent Hambrick given a choice, especially if you're tentatively cutting all of the 2010 Worlds courses for this trip. You have another couple years to get the rest of those.

tim_g
Mar 09 2008, 11:03 PM
Well we're not going until Memorial Day weekend so I still have some time to play around with the course list.

I've only seen one picture of Brent Hambrick and two of the Delaware course and then some stuff I've read online where Brent got more positive feedback than Delaware.

The reason I cut the 2010 Worlds courses was that I added Forked Run and the other highly regarded courses down south (Great Seal, Pike Lake) which changed the path we're taking through the state. The way I see it, I'm more likely to go to Columbus again sometime in my life than I am the areas where Forked Run and those other courses are.

cgkdisc
Mar 10 2008, 12:22 PM
Hambrick has the rep since the big event is there every year. Those tournament layouts may be better than the day-to-day. Hopefully, some Columbus players who have played both can pipe in. The terrain is different between Delaware and Hambrick and perhaps my preference for water shots and big mature hardwoods is tipping my vote to Delaware vs sometimes choked corridors thru pine trees and fairly open bomb shots at Hambrick, at least as I remember it, admittedly from 10 years ago.

magilicutty
Mar 14 2008, 06:34 PM
Keep Delaware and Hambrick. Drop Lobdell or Flatrocks.

perica
Apr 03 2008, 06:10 PM
Sorry for waiting to renew to post, but check out Miami University in Oxford, OH. It can be hit while traveling between Cincinnati and Dayton. It's actually on the same road as Mt. Airy Forest, just 30 miles away.