T_Hizzle
Feb 15 2008, 05:46 PM
With all the hype aound baseball and steroids, will Tour players ever be drug tested? I.E. Snowboarding has come a long way in the last 10 years and since it has become an Olympic sport I am sure they are tested. DO we need to start testing in DG too? Will it make DG a more legitimate sport? Or will people still think DG is just some hippie's throwing plastic discs at baskets in a park.

rollinghedge
Feb 15 2008, 05:49 PM
If Tour players get tested, there won't be much of a Tour. And it won't be from steriods...

johnbiscoe
Feb 15 2008, 05:53 PM
just say no to testing.

jmc2442
Feb 15 2008, 05:53 PM
Or will people still think DG is just some hippie's throwing plastic discs at baskets in a park.

90% of the time that is what DG is. Hate to inform you.

poisonelf
Feb 15 2008, 05:57 PM
This has already been covered in another thread over 3 months ago. Lets not stir up another Clemens/Bonds issue cause its down right annoying

shaunh
Feb 15 2008, 05:59 PM
They couldnt afford to pay for the tests or anything for that matter....

poisonelf
Feb 15 2008, 06:06 PM
Not to mention the average disc golfer couldn't afford them anyway. A decent anabolic stack without insurance will cost you well over $400-$500 a month not to mention the anti-estrogen you would have to take which is also costly.

T_Hizzle
Feb 15 2008, 06:15 PM
Or will people still think DG is just some hippie's throwing plastic discs at baskets in a park.

90% of the time that is what DG is. Hate to inform you.

Just looking for ideas of what the sport needs to go more mainstream and if the players are ready for it. It would be awesome to watch DG on the Olympics some day.

m_conners
Feb 15 2008, 06:34 PM
If Tour players get tested, there won't be much of a Tour. And it won't be from steriods...

I believe what you are saying is the majority of tour players would be tested positive for being "high on life"?

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

poisonelf
Feb 15 2008, 06:37 PM
That would be great and everything but steriods aren't an issue with disc golf.. A major problem is large corperations haven't devoted money to getting it to the point of being a major sport (i know innova and discraft are fairly big but by corprate standards they are very, very small). There will always be scandals with any sport but due to lack of money in disc golf, steriods are not an issue at the moment.

T_Hizzle
Feb 15 2008, 07:02 PM
What are the issues in Disc Golf?

m_conners
Feb 15 2008, 07:06 PM

Cheaters

No Red Numbers

Brad Hammocks attitude

The DevilHawk

No Beer during sanctioned events

No Golf Carts during sanctioned events

Overly drawn out players meetings / Awards

Ratings in North Carolina

DROT

Message Board Distance

MTL

poisonelf
Feb 15 2008, 07:07 PM
Lack of money, corperate sponsorship, nationally televized events, limited exposure to alot of the general public, public advertizing, lack of courses in some areas, etc. etc
Should i go on?

m_conners
Feb 15 2008, 07:16 PM
Lack of money, corperate sponsorship, nationally televized events, limited exposure to alot of the general public, public advertizing, lack of courses in some areas, etc. etc
Should i go on?

I guess that stuff is important as well.

ck34
Feb 15 2008, 07:22 PM
Most of those problems result from the fundamental problem. Solve it and the rest won't be problems. What's that? Lack of spectators. If anyone in this sport wants to see the TV deals and big sponsorship money, we need eyeballs watching. No eyeballs, then no money and no coverage. If you have the eyeballs, it will be a cakewalk to get the money and coverage.

MTL21676
Feb 15 2008, 07:33 PM

MTL

:confused: :confused:

CRUISER
Feb 15 2008, 07:53 PM
Most of those problems result from the fundamental problem. Solve it and the rest won't be problems. What's that? Lack of spectators. If anyone in this sport wants to see the TV deals and big sponsorship money, we need eyeballs watching. No eyeballs, then no money and no coverage. If you have the eyeballs, it will be a cakewalk to get the money and coverage.

Exactly, well said Chuck...

poisonelf
Feb 15 2008, 08:17 PM
so we agree?

Jamesy2
Feb 15 2008, 10:52 PM
Broken star evidently is lacking the ability to spell or use spellcheck! :D

poisonelf
Feb 18 2008, 01:36 PM
Its hard to do a spell check from a cell phone

JHBlader86
Feb 18 2008, 05:08 PM
Has the PDGA ever tried contacting ESPN or Fox Sports? I know one of our local club members contacted ESPN years ago for our BG Ams tournament, and it all sounded good, but I wasnt in to disc golf at the time so I dont know all the details.

poisonelf
Feb 18 2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah Timmy Gill was on an ESPN program a few years back. I think it was called Cold Pizza..the vid is on you tube i believe

MTL21676
Feb 18 2008, 08:47 PM
Has the PDGA ever tried contacting ESPN or Fox Sports? I know one of our local club members contacted ESPN years ago for our BG Ams tournament, and it all sounded good, but I wasnt in to disc golf at the time so I dont know all the details.

time for the famous ESPN incident.

some tournament near bristol every year asked to get ESPN to come out and cover the tournament. Every year, ESPN said no. Finally after about 10 years of trying, ESPN agreed.

They got to the tournament and saw people smoking pot in the parking lot and turned around and left.

The efforts of a hard working man for 10 YEARS and the chances of ESPN coming to any tournament anytime soon was ruined by a few idiots who have no respect for that kind of stuff.

I've said this a million times, until we get rid of a drug image, we have no credibility. People turn around and argue that snowboarding and skateboarding have that image and they are correct, however, with drug testing (something we don't have), they kinda have the credibility to argue that point.

frizgolf
Feb 18 2008, 10:29 PM
time for the famous ESPN incident.

some tournament near bristol every year asked to get ESPN to come out and cover the tournament. Every year, ESPN said no. Finally after about 10 years of trying, ESPN agreed.

They got to the tournament and saw people smoking pot in the parking lot and turned around and left.

The efforts of a hard working man for 10 YEARS and the chances of ESPN coming to any tournament anytime soon was ruined by a few idiots who have no respect for that kind of stuff.

I've said this a million times, until we get rid of a drug image, we have no credibility. People turn around and argue that snowboarding and skateboarding have that image and they are correct, however, with drug testing (something we don't have), they kinda have the credibility to argue that point.

Yep. This hinders the PDGA from getting that huge national sponsorship. Some folks think it's their right to get high while playing.

ck34
Feb 18 2008, 11:02 PM
Please refer again to the current title of these posts as a reminder of the real issue. Sponsors would have fallen all over themselves to have been involved with the 10s of thousands attending Woodstock...

T_Hizzle
Feb 19 2008, 07:19 PM
You're not going to see a hippie working out at the gym!!! They'd rather by watching a Jamband.

I point this out because all the top PGA golfers are starting to workout and get into great shape because of a guy named Tiger.
Maybe in the future of the PGA you'll see guys getting suspensions for steroids.

In DG you'll only see DQ's or penalty strokes for tokes.

m_conners
Feb 19 2008, 07:41 PM
My future prediction on our sport making it to the next level:

One day there will be a person who gets involved in our sport who has the means to take it to the next level. This person will either be a celebrity, corporate icon, big time athlete or someone of great importance. Otherwise it will take one of us peons to pull off the task of getting corporate involved. There are plenty of sports on television that make no sense at all, it will happen one day I just hope I live to see it.

ck34
Feb 19 2008, 09:21 PM
There are plenty of sports on television that make no sense at all, it will happen one day I just hope I live to see it.

I suspect currently there are more people in Manhattan who will watch Scrabble or chess on TV than will watch disc golf on TV, let alone in person and pay for it, in the whole world.

bgwvdave
Feb 19 2008, 10:51 PM
[ People turn around and argue that snowboarding and skateboarding have that image and they are correct, however, with drug testing

there is no drug testing in either of these "sports" outside of snowboarding in the olympics. one of the reasons these "sports" are sucessfull even with the derelict image we have is that we are a counter culture group that does not care if it is cool or not (which somehow makes us appealing to the youth). well that and a video game some guy named tony hawk came up with. it was not until his enterprise that you saw soccer moms at the skatepark. Secondly it is not competition that is fueling either one of these industries. it is quite the opposite. the core participants hate organized competition to the very core. both of these activities are about individual expression. the dew tour etc etc. is a fraction of the $'s generated.

the thing i see that is holding disc golf from the mainstream media is that it is golf. the cover a PGA event it takes staffs in the hundreds and camera's everywhere. all the video's i have seen of this sport even MSDGC's which is by far the finest quality still are lacking from a production and coverage stand point. it unfortunaltey (IMO) will be a long time before we hit the mainstream. but when we do, and we will it is going to be great!!

bgwvdave
Feb 19 2008, 10:54 PM
My future prediction on our sport making it to the next level:

One day there will be a person who gets involved in our sport who has the means to take it to the next level. This person will either be a celebrity, corporate icon, big time athlete or someone of great importance. Otherwise it will take one of us peons to pull off the task of getting corporate involved. There are plenty of sports on television that make no sense at all, it will happen one day I just hope I live to see it.

I totally aggree. but the ground work i think has already begun. i can't remember his name but i played a Monday qualifing round this year at the USDGC's with a guy who is on the film crew For CBS Sport Golf staff. Imagine a few more in's like that

MTL21676
Feb 19 2008, 11:07 PM
Terry Roddy

Feb 20 2008, 12:16 AM

jlmeier
Feb 20 2008, 01:44 AM
Huntington, WV they are hosting the 1st CSX Pro/AM.
CSX is a railroad out of Jacksonville Florida, employing over 35,000 people and a member of the Fortune 500. Now I think that is big. A couple good years of representation and the donations could keep getting bigger and bigger. I'm sure there are more people with the PDGA who work for Fortune 500 Companies or have connections to large companies but are just afraid to ask or bring up the issue. Do something different this weekend introduce someone to disc golf.

T_Hizzle
Feb 20 2008, 12:50 PM
How does the PDGA promote the sport and to who? How much of our membership dues go towards advertising to big companies? What are big companies responses?

bgwvdave
Feb 20 2008, 01:49 PM
Terry Roddy

yep that him. thanks for the memory jog tivvle. it was funny his group had all quite on him and msot of my group had dropped out as well. se we just combined to make a 3 some and played from hole 7 on. GREAT guy!!

mikenorris
Feb 20 2008, 10:28 PM
2nd on Terry Roddy. Played on the spectator day with him in the carts. Terry was the White dot while playing with the dot crew.

He has been helping the past few years with filming when he was not playing. Some years he played and then filmed once he was done with his round. Not something easy to do and he was always dead tired at the end of the day.

Looking forward to hanging out with him again this year.

jlmeier
Feb 21 2008, 01:59 AM
The CSX Pro AM, the PDGA didn't approach the Company. It was an individual with great communication skills and a love for the sport to grow. By my understanding he approached the Company with everything ready and a want for getting sponsorship.

hallp
Feb 27 2008, 02:30 PM
what we really need to do is get hooked up with the PGA, AND do some sort of skills challenge. i know in OK they have had tournament and scrambles with golfers vs. disc golfers. if we could get something like that going that would really help the sport tremendously. What would you think if you saw TIGER AND MICKELSON VS. CODA AND KENNY IN a scramble>???????? WOW!!!!! I know with them playing a course that doesnt have too many 400-500 yd holes the scores would be very close!!!!!!! put them on the COLONIAL IN DALLAS!!!!! that would be an awesome event!!!!!!! i think someone should write to a producer for espn and talk alot of smack on behalf of our sport saying we will put two of our best vs. two of their best and just see what happens!!!!! what are they gonna say>>???? .....NO???? OH WAIT THEY ALREADY ARE SAYING THAT SO WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!