Big E
Feb 12 2008, 03:22 PM
I am wanting to set up a bag for my wife....I was woundering what the ladies like to throw?

Giles
Feb 12 2008, 03:47 PM
Im my experiance she would want a Revo Carolina bag (or something equally expensive), and would like to throw all the discs you set aside for fear of loosing them. (You know, those few special ones in the closet.) Then she will probably take you putter (like the one in my avitar) that you have had for several years as soon as you try out a different one. Then discs will probably go missing out of you bag mid round and end up down the fairway with her exclaiming "ooh, I like that one!" :D :mad::confused: :o
Hope that helps.

suemac
Feb 12 2008, 04:00 PM
Giles, What a sexist statement. Why don't you just keep those personal experiences to yourself. II bet you gave your lady a Walmart bag with max weight discs the first time you introduced her to the game, right?
===========
My thoughts are that having two bottle holders, good size side pockets w/ zippers and quadshocks. I have a Gateway tour bag, yes it is big, but it distributes the weight across more bag, therefore isn't any heavier.

In fact, when I have carried the Revolution bag he mentions (which fades in the sunlight), all the weight is in the center of the bag and is not fun to carry IMO.

Lots of space to put stuff. That's what she'll want/need.

haleigh
Feb 12 2008, 04:07 PM
Umm.. no he did not give me a WM bag! He is right, I do take all the special discs because I am a girl and I try to get sneaky! That aside.
If she is just starting out, get a small innova bag and when she gets better or wins her first tournament (in my case) get her the revo bag. It lasts forever and I love mine! If you read up on the Revo bags, the durability is far superior to any other bag on the market. Hope this helps!

Giles
Feb 12 2008, 04:08 PM
Giles, What a sexist statement. Why don't you just keep those personal experiences to yourself. II bet you gave your lady a Walmart bag with max weight discs the first time you introduced her to the game, right?

Easy Sue, I'm not Flesner. :DI think I had her use the beat 168 star valk that I use for anhyzers her first round at a little 9 holer.

-I should have heeded the warning "beware the poison suemac"

haleigh
Feb 12 2008, 04:10 PM
oops I forgot as far as discs! Leopards, Valks, Roadrunners, Wraiths, start out lighter, 150 maybe and when she starts flipping them..it's time to move up to heavier weights!

suemac
Feb 12 2008, 04:35 PM

Easy Sue, I'm not Flesner. :DI think I had her use the beat 168 star valk that I use for anhyzers her first round at a little 9 holer.

-I should have heeded the warning "beware the poison suemac"

Cankles is sorry if you took my comment to heart.

(Bad day here at the Ranch, the board is my outlet you know.)

So many guys screw up bringing ladies into our sport by outfitting them with disc that discourage. We need more girls out playing period, and many women never pursue this very far due to the fact that they weren't provided with suitable plastic when introduced to the game.

I would vote for 150 Leopard, as it is a good indicator of mechanics when starting. Roadrunners and Valks, or JLS too. As for the Wraith, I wouldn't give a beginner that stable a disc till they had mastered something less stable. aka the Valk.

haleigh
Feb 12 2008, 04:43 PM
I love a Wraith and I have only been playing 10 months! They are stable, the more beat in the better!

suemac
Feb 12 2008, 04:49 PM
you beat it up making it less stable, maybe another disc might be better for someone brand new. (and not taking discs from their fella) :D ;) :D

Giles
Feb 12 2008, 05:04 PM
I love a Wraith and I have only been playing 10 months! They are stable, the more beat in the better!

Used Pro Wraithes... I recall you loving that Z-Glide, having good luck with coyotes, meteors, and Haleigh's commet. Jess used a lot of Pro starfires.

For drivers you should look for some used pro stuff

suemac
Feb 12 2008, 05:06 PM
And start with DX plastic, it is easier to throw when first starting the game.

Big E
Feb 12 2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for all the help so far.... I throw discraft, any recommendations besides the comet! I was playing a round with Liz and I know she threw the xl but I cant remember what else she threw I think maybe a 150 surge. I know sue said dont start out with anything stable, but I was just woundering :DI was thinking 1 driver 1 mid and 1 putter.... should they all be 150?

Lala
Feb 12 2008, 06:20 PM
I think a puTTer for sure should be heavy - even in the begining. DX plastic is a GREAT place to start. Until you develope some arm speed, DX & light is the way to go. When I throw with 3 discs, I carry a 175 puTTer, a 174-180 Mid range, & a 172 driver. My regular bag varries in weight from 150-180, most in the heavy 160's to light - heavy 170's (but my home course has a little wind). :D

haleigh
Feb 12 2008, 06:32 PM
I used to like a Meteor and a Coyote for an upshot disc.

Heidi
Feb 12 2008, 07:15 PM
As far as Discraft, I love the 150 Z Flick for sidearms. It's also a great disc for learning a thumber. I threw an Z XS (in the 160s) when I first started, and that was probably my favorite driver. While 150s are great for learning, I think pretty fast everyone finds out they are not so great in a head wind. I think it's important to throw a couple of discs in the bag around the 165-170 range for that!

okcacehole
Feb 12 2008, 07:21 PM
I have definately seen many ladies playing with 160's Leopards over the years...seemed to be a good balanced disc for them

I may have a 1st run Z XS Heidi, but it would be 170+ I guess..

see you at the mid-week tomorrow

Big E
Feb 12 2008, 07:22 PM
I do have a 150 flick in the car but I think like sue said I want here to start off with something less stable.

Heidi
Feb 12 2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the flick for backhand... but when she's ready for sidearm, I'd say give it a try!

haleigh
Feb 12 2008, 07:32 PM

Used Pro Wraithes... I recall you loving that Z-Glide, having good luck with coyotes, meteors, and Haleigh's commet. Jess used a lot of Pro starfires.

For drivers you should look for some used pro stuff

I do love me a Z-Glide for short annies but for long annies a RR is way better. I still cannot throw a Starfire!

haleigh
Feb 12 2008, 07:34 PM
The Ultralight Raging Infero was a good disc when my arm speed was slower. It was about 130 grams and it went far!!

jmc2442
Feb 13 2008, 09:39 AM
The Ultralight Raging Infero was a good disc when my arm speed was slower. It was about 130 grams and it went far!!

have a lightly used (maybe five throws) Raging Inferno DT for sale if anyone is interested. a little less stable than the original, but goes farther.
PM me if interested.

Big E
Feb 13 2008, 12:11 PM
So do the mids need to be 150 if they are a comet or a meteor. By the way wich is less stable out of these 2 disc's? I throw the comet and new it seems to fly pretty staight, but when worn in I hyzer flip it for turnover shots :D

Liz_Lopez
Feb 13 2008, 12:36 PM
I throw all max weight discs with the exception of a few that are in the 170's. I would definetly reccomend the esp flash in a lighter weight. The 150 class surge would be a great one to start out with as well. The avenger ss and XL are easy to control so those would work too. Hope that helps!

Liz_Lopez
Feb 13 2008, 12:41 PM
So do the mids need to be 150 if they are a comet or a meteor. By the way wich is less stable out of these 2 disc's? I throw the comet and new it seems to fly pretty staight, but when worn in I hyzer flip it for turnover shots :D

Im pretty sure they don't make those discs in the 150's. Only the Storm. I have never thrown it so I can't tell you what it does. Out of the 2 listed, I would say the metoer in any weight would be a great midrange for her to start. I used to throw a max weight one and it flips for me.

haleigh
Feb 13 2008, 01:33 PM

The Meteor is understable, -.5

Big E
Feb 13 2008, 02:03 PM
so what mids and putter do you throw liz

bruce_brakel
Feb 13 2008, 02:30 PM
150 Z Storms are nice for beginning women.

Valarie24
Feb 13 2008, 03:02 PM
Hey Guys-
I dunno if anyone else feels this way, but ever since ive been playing no bag setup has been perfect, the bag always hangs too low and never supports my back.. I hate it, and eventually my back hurts from luggin it all round.. I talked to Kyle Maute at Phenix Disc Sports (the QuadShocks guy) and we gathered an idea about shorter straps, and straps with a chest clasp.. I've been testing them out since November and really really like them.. It takes all the weight off your shoulders and neck, and lifts the back higher on your back..

Check em out here-- http://phenixdiscsports.com/quadshocks.html

davidbihl
Feb 13 2008, 03:37 PM
Hey Val
Obviously you stated that no bag set up was good for you, and I assume that you tried the back pack from Revolution. What was wrong with that bag for you? I think it holds the weight closer to my spine thus more comfie, if you haven't tried I would suggest. Take care

bruce_brakel
Feb 13 2008, 03:50 PM
Hey Guys-
I dunno if anyone else feels this way, but ever since ive been playing no bag setup has been perfect, the bag always hangs too low and never supports my back.. I hate it, and eventually my back hurts from luggin it all round.. I talked to Kyle Maute at Phenix Disc Sports (the QuadShocks guy) and we gathered an idea about shorter straps, and straps with a chest clasp.. I've been testing them out since November and really really like them.. It takes all the weight off your shoulders and neck, and lifts the back higher on your back..

Check em out here-- http://phenixdiscsports.com/quadshocks.html

If the bag is too heavy to carry, look and see what us old guys are doing: wheels. :D

suemac
Feb 13 2008, 03:55 PM
Wheels are for casual, when you need to be carrying a cooler for CFB. :cool: (It's the only time I use mine these days)

Liz_Lopez
Feb 13 2008, 04:54 PM
so what mids and putter do you throw liz

I have a crystal buzzz for straight shots that I use for little to no wind. A z wasp for windier upshots, I love this disc because it gets lots of glide. I think that one would be a good one to try. I also have a drone for really windy upshots but I won't reccomend that one for her as it is extremly overstable.

And I putt with a Challenger.

You should check out discraft.com and look under the women's team to see what they throw. there are also really good explanations on what they use them for.

my_hero
Feb 13 2008, 05:25 PM
I am wanting to set up a bag for my wife....I was woundering what the ladies like to throw?

169g Swirl
150g Z-Storm
150g X-Surge
150g Z-Talon
150g Z-Flick

a light SS avenger would be a great disc to have too.

Big E
Feb 13 2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your time Liz I forgot about the big D :D

Big E
Feb 13 2008, 06:01 PM

169g Swirl
150g Z-Storm
150g X-Surge
150g Z-Talon
150g Z-Flick

a light SS avenger would be a great disc to have too.

I will keep my eyes out for these disc's :D

Liz_Lopez
Feb 13 2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks for your time Liz I forgot about the big D :D

Glad to help! See ya at ZBOAZ!

Vanessa
Feb 13 2008, 07:27 PM
Val - great tip on the shorter quad shocks, and thanks for repping all of us with shorter torso to the manufacturer! I love my Quad Shocks (compared to anything else out there) but I still have the same problem -- bag hangs too low. I'm sure a lot of other women have the same issue. I'll be showing my support and ordering a set of shorter straps this very week!!!

baldguy
Feb 19 2008, 11:28 PM
I started Deidre with some lightweight, not-so-stable stuff, except for her putters which were 175. I also gave her 4 or 5 different types of putters to try out so she could figure out which one she likes the most. Now she's throwing 168-172 range drivers and most of them are on the more stable side. She even has a firebird in her bag :)

I really think it mostly depends on her throwing style. If she's just starting out, you have to determine if she's going to need the less stable discs to overcome the "newbie-hyzer" or if she develops good form quickly. If she does, don't get her used to throwing all the "sissy stuff", or she'll have a hard time adjusting later to heavier, more predictable plastic.

Deidre gets almost as much torque on her drives as I do. The lighter-weight stuff just doesn't cut it for her anymore :). I guess all I'm saying is to be careful about training her on the lightweight stuff because once she starts getting all that torque, it may be disheartening to have to get rid of some of her favorite plastic. That is an adjustment period that discourages some new players.

So anyway... does this mean that you two will be playing some mixed dubs soon? :D We're always looking for other couples to hit the course with. I'm even trying to talk a few more couples into playing Tx State Am Doubles and maybe Gordon will make us a mixed division :)

Big E
Feb 20 2008, 11:31 AM
I started Deidre with some lightweight, not-so-stable stuff, except for her putters which were 175. I also gave her 4 or 5 different types of putters to try out so she could figure out which one she likes the most. Now she's throwing 168-172 range drivers and most of them are on the more stable side. She even has a firebird in her bag :)

I really think it mostly depends on her throwing style. If she's just starting out, you have to determine if she's going to need the less stable discs to overcome the "newbie-hyzer" or if she develops good form quickly. If she does, don't get her used to throwing all the "sissy stuff", or she'll have a hard time adjusting later to heavier, more predictable plastic.

Deidre gets almost as much torque on her drives as I do. The lighter-weight stuff just doesn't cut it for her anymore :). I guess all I'm saying is to be careful about training her on the lightweight stuff because once she starts getting all that torque, it may be disheartening to have to get rid of some of her favorite plastic. That is an adjustment period that discourages some new players.

So anyway... does this mean that you two will be playing some mixed dubs soon? :D We're always looking for other couples to hit the course with. I'm even trying to talk a few more couples into playing Tx State Am Doubles and maybe Gordon will make us a mixed division :)

I look forward to playing mixed doubles that would also be cool if they had more opertunity's for it in the DFW area! Hey start a mixed doubles league!

suemac
Feb 20 2008, 11:57 AM
At States, I am on a mixed team and we would love a seperate division.

Misty
Feb 20 2008, 03:20 PM
My first bag was the one my boyfriend carried on his back while we were playing! :) Once I decided I liked the sport - I got a revolution bag w/ quad straps.

As far as disc go - when I first started in November of 06 - I started throwing side arm first and I threw a 150 firebird. I even used the firebird for midranges, because all the mid's I tried to throw just didn't reach the distance that the firebird did. I have a discraft swirl putter that I have used since I started - I don't know the weight because it has been rubbed off. I also carried a pulse that was about 167-168. That is what I used to learn back hand. Once I started turning it over I moved up to the Wraiths 168-175.

Now I carry 3 Wraiths in my bag (really beat up to not so beat up). I still carry my firebird, except I carry 2 now instead of just 1 and they are heavier weights. I carry a ryhno, rock, and coyote for mid ranges - 175-180 in weights.

Hope this helps!

shaunh
Feb 20 2008, 03:31 PM
All pink discs.......They only throw pink! Must have pink only pink......... If it is two toned pink on pink with swirly pink, well that is a dang ol....

Oh wait, hrmmm I guess that is all I hear....

haleigh
Feb 20 2008, 05:12 PM
All pink discs.......They only throw pink! Must have pink only pink......... If it is two toned pink on pink with swirly pink, well that is a dang ol....

dork

Big E
Feb 20 2008, 05:55 PM

dork

:D

Valarie24
Feb 23 2008, 10:46 PM
I haven't owned the backpack bag, but I've caddied several final 9s for people owning that bag, Its just too much for me, with all those pockets id be determined to fill them with too much extra stuff.. and the bag still didnt seem to be fully supported on my lower back..
and as for bags with wheels.. I gotta be traveling light everywhere i go, i cant be luggin this cart on the plane and all around other countries.. its just easier to throw the bag on and go~

Glad you got some straps Vanessa! Hope you like em!
They're kinda rough in the messy muddy months (say that 3x fast) because of the extra straps, but it'll soon save you in the hot hot sun!

CHulsey
Feb 27 2008, 01:51 PM
For a beginner woman player - I think a smaller bag will work... innova 150 class discs are great for women with less control and/or are not a power thrower (yet). Also, some of the AT Technologies ultralight discs are great too!

bwp
Apr 23 2008, 11:35 PM
Dont get stuck on any brand dont listen to your father get a comfortable bag w/quads grip it and rip it.

bwp
Apr 26 2008, 12:56 AM
Try to post some thing no one comments ?

suemac
Apr 28 2008, 03:01 PM
LOL.

It was great to see Paige this past weekend, and congrats on her second place finish in Open!!!