jtkustomizer
Jan 31 2008, 04:13 PM
Why doesnt the PDGA at the very least give out rule books to the new players of our sport? I know that at my first tournament last year I didnt even know any of the rules and there wasnt even a rule book for me to purchase readily available.

zbiberst
Jan 31 2008, 04:33 PM
I think thats the responsibility of the club thats putting on the event. and i believe that you get one when you join the pdga.

rollinghedge
Jan 31 2008, 04:53 PM
Anybody can download (http://www.pdga.com/documents/2007/PDGA2007rulebook.pdf) it for free.

ck34
Jan 31 2008, 04:58 PM
TDs usually receive extra rulebooks with their event kit from the PDGA to sell or hand out.

chappyfade
Jan 31 2008, 05:09 PM
New PDGA members used to get a PDGA Rules Book in their initial membership package. Not sure if that's true anymore or not.

sandalman
Jan 31 2008, 05:17 PM
according to the online signup form at http://www.pdgastore.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1067409736 tehy still do:

Professional Disc Golf Association
2008 NEW MEMBERSHIP

New members receive:
Lifetime Member Number
PDGA Logo Disc
PDGA Mini Marker w/ Personalized Member Number
Rulesbook
2008 Member Card
PDGA Magazine (if selected)
PDGA Sticker
Election Ballot
Official PDGA communications

Mark_Stephens
Jan 31 2008, 05:32 PM
TDs usually receive extra rulebooks with their event kit from the PDGA to sell or hand out.

That is rule BOOK, not books... You also get a copy of the Competition Guide. I usually set them out for people if they want to look at them. I give them away, if people ask for one.

ck34
Jan 31 2008, 05:59 PM
That is rule BOOK, not books...

:cool:Must have gotten a few more because the last events I've been TD have been majors...

johnbiscoe
Jan 31 2008, 06:19 PM
i'm pretty sure i've gotten a few for each event regardless of tier.

stack
Jan 31 2008, 08:39 PM
i got one when I joined (a few months back)... still would be good for the TDs to have a few copies there for newbs or anyone to thumb through during the tourney and possibly take @ the end.

one 'fun' way to give it out is to have a FTP (furthest from the pin) and give it out to the 'winner' of that.

jtkustomizer
Feb 01 2008, 12:19 AM
What about the people who arent PDGA Members they are paying the extra $$$. They should at least get a rulebook with there players package.

Stack your FTP is also a good Idea

curt
Feb 01 2008, 03:05 AM
It would be nice if the rulebook came with a renew of membership also. I know I have problems keeping one of those things intact for an entire year in my bag. And it's really nice to have one to reference to in tournaments (just in case)

KMcKinney
Feb 01 2008, 09:17 AM
Why doesnt the PDGA at the very least give out rule books to the new players of our sport? I know that at my first tournament last year I didnt even know any of the rules and there wasnt even a rule book for me to purchase readily available.

I got a rulebook when I signed up. So the PDGA does give a rulebook to the new players that sign up for membership.

And the rules are available online for free download or for purchase.

IMHO you should probably know the rules before you enter a tourney :cool:I don't know of any tournament that has the rules handed out, but I don;t play a lot of sports.

And from the look of your tourneys you placed in, you must have learned the rules pretty fast ;)

discette
Feb 01 2008, 10:44 AM
The PDGA does supply several rules books with the TD packet. (Irun B-tiers) I like to have at least 10 rule books at my tournaments. I try to give one to "first time" players as they check in. Then I put any remaining books with the scorecards for all the groups in the Rec division and for the Intermediate cards when I see "new" names. I tell everyone to give the rule book to the person on the card who doesn't have one already. If everyone already has a rule book, any person on the card who uses the book to look up a rule during the round (or comes to me with a rules question afterward) gets to keep the rule book.

jtkustomizer
Feb 02 2008, 10:23 AM
Discette- Your post is excactly what I wanted to say in my first post and I wish that every TD would follow your example. That would help the sport tremendously IMO. I wish there were more TDs like you because you are trying to help and encourage the new players by doing this

I didnt actually become a member until later in the year because I didnt think I was going to get to play that many PDGA events. I became a member at the Glass blown Open 08/07 A-Tier where membership was Required. It also helped that when I signed up for my membership there the membership didnt just last till the end of 07 it actualy counted for 08 as well and that was the deciding factor for me to become a member. Plus I wanted to play in an A-Tier event

Ken_McKinney Thanks for looking at my statistics. and yes I did learn the rules very fast because I really want to learn the sport as quickly as I can so I can turn pro and hopefully hang with the big guys on the course. I just need to keep practiceing and the game will come around for me. I really like your signature and I have the same philosophy when I am out throwing. Its never the Discs Fault only player error, and the best way to learn is to make mistakes so you know not to do that again.

Later

JT