randyfristoe
Jan 25 2008, 09:52 PM
perhaps this has been covered, but as a TD, can you use non tournament players to help fill out the feild.

Say only two women show up to play, could a third female who just happens to be there to help out be allowed to play for free and could her scores be used to help calculate ratings

in another scenario, if in the advanced field you simply have an uneven number of players, could you throw in a person or two that are not tourney players, just to help make the cards even?

reallybadputter
Jan 25 2008, 09:55 PM
perhaps this has been covered, but as a TD, can you use non tournament players to help fill out the feild.

Say only two women show up to play, could a third female who just happens to be there to help out be allowed to play for free and could her scores be used to help calculate ratings

in another scenario, if in the advanced field you simply have an uneven number of players, could you throw in a person or two that are not tourney players, just to help make the cards even?

If they are a certified official and the group would only have two players, then 804.06 c applies:

C. Groups shall not be less than three players, except under extenuating circumstances, as deemed necessary by the director, to promote fairness. In cases where fewer than three players are required to play together, an official is required to accompany the group and may play as long as this does not interfere with the competing players.

johnbiscoe
Jan 25 2008, 11:09 PM

non-event players would never count for ratings but other than that you could likely get creative however you want as long as no one raises a stink.

bobsted
Jan 26 2008, 08:07 AM
If the player wanted a rating you could offer trophy only to them at your cost, i.e. $2 for a C-tier. Then, they would also be part of the tournament and would not need to be a certified official.

sandalman
Jan 26 2008, 10:29 AM
i like the creative approach there bobsted, but wouldnt that lead to trouble cuz you didnt offer it to everyone?

Mark_Stephens
Jan 26 2008, 11:49 AM
I think that most TDs would offer trophy only, but nobody really wants or asks to play it.

gnduke
Jan 26 2008, 12:43 PM
i like the creative approach there bobsted, but wouldnt that lead to trouble cuz you didnt offer it to everyone?

I don't think so, it is an offer limited to fields that don't have enough players to fill out a single card so the TD doesn't have to assign tournament resources to the card.

Not hard to explain and easy to justify.

sandalman
Jan 26 2008, 01:32 PM
i was thinking more about the second case

bruce_brakel
Jan 26 2008, 01:34 PM
If the player wanted a rating you could offer trophy only to them at your cost, i.e. $2 for a C-tier. Then, they would also be part of the tournament and would not need to be a certified official.

Your cost is actually $2 + ($50/#players). If you have 100 players, your cost is $2.50. You wouldn't want to eat that 50 cents. :D