clifftowne
Jan 21 2008, 12:16 PM
Hey Folks,

Here is the Ice Bowl Update! The yummy Trader Joe's awards for the winners are here and all the prizes for Disc Arcade, Telepathic Putting (you need Disc Arcade tix to get in on the good prizes) and Ring of Fire and are packed up (thanks Andrew Choate!).

The course is LOOKIN" GOOD thanks to the Groundskeeper Hadder. The rain helped too - it is lovely up there. All the baskets are in their 1st round positions now (except #12 which will be in long position). #2,3,5 and 14 are scheduled to change positions for round 2. We will play tourney layout (#1 to 6, walk to #9, play 9 to 18 - skipping #11 - then walk to #7, 8, A,B,C, then up to #1).

We WILL be taking donated food for the food bank to give to them along with $150 from Virgil Phillips (nice!). Regarding the "at least $5" spot on the entry form - feel free to go ahead and bump that up - it goes directly to the LA Conservation Corps - this great program for youth has helped us install and maintain Chavez Ridge.

We jumped from 29 to 53 entries in a few days this last week, so if you or your friends want to play - enter ONLINE with a credit card ($3 handling)

http://www.pdgasignup.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1199787303

Cliff
cell 323-574-7678

michellewade
Jan 23 2008, 08:34 PM
Hi Cliffeeeeeeeeeee,

Wow, it's nasty out there! If I wake up Sat. morning and it's pouring like it is now, I'll call your cell and let you know I'm staying home. But if this lets up some, then I'll still come.

rizbee
Jan 23 2008, 08:46 PM
Aw, c'mon Michelle - how could you possibly miss slogging up and down those hills in the rain? Last year it was a gooey, icky blast!!

sunrisensunrise
Jan 23 2008, 11:12 PM
The Ice Bowl's slogan applies greatly here. It's just a little rain. We could be dealing with below freezing temperatures or ice but we're smart enough to live in SoCal. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

csrenda79
Jan 24 2008, 12:42 AM
<--- Dealing with 36 degrees in Santa Maria right now. It's so cold my car won't start!

sunrisensunrise
Jan 24 2008, 01:30 AM
That's still not below freezing :) but is getting close. The rain was coming down pretty hard here for about a half hour but it's let up as usual. What's Mother Nature going to throw at us in less than 60 hours?

csrenda79
Jan 24 2008, 10:28 AM
Well, as long as I can get my car to start, I will be ready for it. Interstate 5 is snowed in north of LA and fortunately I take the 101 instead to get home. It calls for rain on Saturday, so it should be fun. Remember the Jan. 5 Aces Challenge...

sunrisensunrise
Jan 24 2008, 11:22 AM
I remember. I'll definitely come better prepared this time around.

michellewade
Jan 24 2008, 02:52 PM
I'll admit it... I'M WHINING! And this tournament's motto is NO WHINERS... so I'll whine at home. LOL

Just kidding! I'm actually jones'in to throw so it's pretty good chance I will be there.

omarroper
Jan 24 2008, 05:30 PM
http://www.icebowlhq.com/templates/rt_fire/images_snowfire/fr_header.png
That means you, SoCal...

rizbee
Jan 24 2008, 07:41 PM
From the National Weather Service:

LOS ANGELES COUNTY COAST INCLUDING DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES-
540 AM PST THU JAN 24 2008

...SIGNIFICANT RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA INTO THE WEEKEND...

A COLD UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CONTINUED TO SPIN OFF THE COAST OF CENTRAL CALIFORNIA THIS MORNING. MOIST SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW WILL MAINTAIN PERIODS OF RAIN AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA TODAY.

RAINFALL TOTALS TODAY THROUGH FRIDAY WILL AVERAGE ONE TO TWO INCHES IN COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS AND TWO TO FOUR INCHES IN THE FOOTHILLS AND MOUNTAINS. RAIN MAY FALL AT RATES HIGH ENOUGH TO CAUSE PROBLEMS IN THE BURN AREAS.

THAT NEXT VERY STRONG UPPER LOW WILL CONTINUE TO SPIN ACROSS THE EASTERN PACIFIC FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. SOME COMPUTER MODELS ACTUALLY SHOW IT MOVING A BIT WESTWARD...WHICH COULD CAUSE SOMEWHAT OF A BREAK IN THE RAIN FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING. THE EXCEPTION TO THIS COULD BE ALONG THE CENTRAL COAST...WHICH COULD BE CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE MAIN FRONTAL BAND...BUT IT IS STILL TOO EARLY TO GET THAT DETAILED. AS THE UPPER LOW LINGERS OFF THE COAST...IT IS FORECAST TO PULL SOME SUBTROPICAL MOISTURE NORTHWARD FROM OFF THE COAST OF MEXICO.

I'm preparing for mud!!!!!!!!!

csrenda79
Jan 24 2008, 09:09 PM
Something tells me you will be ready. I'm just glad this week i'm not in the same field as the almighty Ice Bowl Bagger!

clifftowne
Jan 25 2008, 01:02 AM
Yes - it has been wet! We are lucky enough to have a SUPER groundskeeper on the job up at the Ridge. Dave Hadder has things the best we can hope for up there given all this moisture. Cross your fingers folks - rumor now has the big rain holding off until later on Saturday. The online option is now closed - If anyone wants to join in the fun, have them call me and we will try to squeeze them in. cell 323-574-7678.

Cliff

clifftowne
Jan 25 2008, 11:52 AM
This notice went out to registered players this morning

Hey Folks,

Looks like that break in the rain may arrive on Saturday morning!

Nonetheless - be prepared for wet play. The gates down by the tennis courts will be closed but there is plenty of parking on Academy. The plan right now is for registration to begin down at the gate at 7:30 am, player's meeting up at the picnic area at 8:30 and the 1st round to start at 8:45 am.

"Details for Saturday
Partly cloudy in the morning. Increasing clouds with periods of showers later in the day. High 62F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Saturday night: Periods of rain. Low 51F. Winds SE at 10 to 20 mph."

We are lucky enough to have a SUPER groundskeeper on the job up at the Ridge. Dave Hadder has things the best we can hope for up there given all this moisture. The online option is now closed - If anyone wants to join in the fun, have them call me and we will try to squeeze them in. cell 323-574-7678.

Cliff

Jan 25 2008, 09:52 PM
Hey Cliff or Dave,

Was curious to why the gate is staying closed near the tennis courts? It seemed like a clean parking lot as far as rain debris goes, like mud or branches. Today (Friday) there were a few spots next to the tennis court open, then the next available parking was a good mile away. Academy road was jammmed up with cars parking there all the way down. Oh, and yes, the course is nice and muddy, perfect for an Ice Bowl!!!!!
Floyd <font color="blue"> </font>