Pizza God
Jan 19 2008, 02:19 PM
Eric B. Hill pdga 6907 passed away in his sleep 1/17/08. The funeral is today 1/19/08 in Alba Texas at 3pm at Old Salem Cemetery.

That is all the information I have, I just got the call.

Eric ran the Sunday and even Saturday mini's at BB Owen in Dallas for years. Before that he ran a mini out in Plano and other parks.

He was known for his Blue VW van.

I first remember Eric from an Athens tournament way back in the early 90's.

He was a former sponsor of the Carrollton Open

okcacehole
Jan 19 2008, 02:43 PM
Sad to hear..thanks for the post

Eric will be missed by many in DFW and beyond

maceman
Jan 19 2008, 03:05 PM
Very Sad to hear that EBH is no longer with us.

Eric was as full of the disc golf spirit as anyone else I ever met in this sport. RIP

my_hero
Jan 19 2008, 03:18 PM
So true Mace. His family is in our thoughts and prayers.

sandalman
Jan 19 2008, 03:55 PM
Eric was a presence when i came to the Plex in 98. i remember playing many BB minis that he ran. its kinda wierd, i was just thinking about him a couple days ago, wondering how things were going. Eric, you are remembered and will be missed. RIP.

vinnie
Jan 21 2008, 10:17 AM
wow.....My prayers are with his family. Anyone know how he passed?

exczar
Jan 21 2008, 02:33 PM
Man, very sorry to read this. I know he was a believer, so he is now in the very presence of his Lord and Creator. I will miss joking around with him and seeing his vapor lock throws.

Pizza God
Jan 22 2008, 04:16 AM
My wife and I with kids in tow made the drive out to Alba on Saturday. We were met there by 3 other disc golfers, Randy Graywolf (and his girlfriend Debbie), Mike McBee and Curry North.

We were the only ones there at 3pm. We wondered where everyone was at. There was a tent set up so we investigated and found it to be the Hill family plot. At about 3:10, the hurst and family pulled in.

Leave it to Eric to be late to his own funeral.

It was a very nice, short and cold grave side service. His great aunt sang a very touching hymn. The paster read some passages from Eric's own bible.

It was hard to see the parents loose a child.

Eric was only 46, but had battled cancer for 13 years.

One of the hard things to hear his dad say was when he moved home, he was 175 pounds. He was only 96 pounds when he left this earth.

One thing the preacher said that got to me, he visited with Eric about 6 weeks ago. Eric said his body was getting weaker and weaker, but he said his heart was getting stronger and stronger. Eric was ready to move on to the next plain of existence.

I got an email today from a fellow disc golfer who passed on this information
__________________________________________________ _

Bryan James: Here is some information on a Memorial Service for Eric Hill, this Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 3 p.m. Heights Baptist Church, Richardson. I�m not registered to post on the Discussion, so feel free to post this on the thread about Eric.

The memorial service for Eric Hill, son of Billy and Margie Hill, will be Saturday, January 26, at 3 pm, in the Chapel at The Heights. For those who may not have heard, Eric died last week following a 13-year battle with brain cancer. He was buried last Saturday in Alba, Texas. Please continue your prayers for Billy and Margie.

Eric Brent Hill

ALBA - Graveside services for Eric Brent Hill, 46, Richardson, relative of Alba residents, are scheduled for 3 p.m. Saturday at Salem Cemetery, Alba, with the Rev. Derrell Grice officiating under direction of Wilson-Bartley Funeral Home, Alba.

Mr. Hill died Jan. 17, 2008, at his residence.

He was born June 12, 1961, in Dallas to Billy Farris and Margie Jeanette Locke Hill, formerly of Alba. He was a lifelong resident of the Dallas and Irving area and was self-employed in sports entertainment, a member of Disc Golf Association and MacArthur Avenue Baptist Church, Irving.

Survivors include his parents, Billy and Margie Hill, Richardson; sister, Theresa McCullough, Burleson; one great-aunt; niece and nephew.

Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society.
Published in the Tyler Morning Telegraph on 1/19/2008.

vinnie
Jan 22 2008, 10:01 AM
thanks for the word.....It is better knowing his heart was in the right place.

gotcha
Jan 22 2008, 11:00 AM
I met Eric back in the early 90's....the first time I played Shawnee Park in Plano. He ran the minis there and I remember he payed out "widgets" to the amateur players. I also remember the doctors told him he had less than 5 years to live after discovering and removing his brain tumor....and that was back in '94 or '95. What I remember most, however, is the Eric Hill who would occasionally show up on Saturday mornings to play Fritz Park (when the ace pot was large), then head off in his van to run the afternoon round at BB Owens. Nothing but Good memories of Mr. Eric B Hill....

Pizza God
Jan 22 2008, 12:32 PM
That is one thing that we should all remember, Eric never complained about his health problems. I knew he was sick, but he never talked about it. He was always positive. Even when he threw his discs sideways or backwards. In the last few years, you had to watch EBH any time he threw, every once in a while, that disc would go flying off the wrong direction. I almost got hit once standing behind him.

Eric and I were not friends to say the least back in the 90's. Back then, he was a pain in the you know what. However by the 2000's we had become friends and actually played a few rounds together.

He also was one of the many disc golfers that stood behind me the year of the "No Jim's Open", In fact he sponsored the tournament that year. I also use to go play his mini's more than any others. He asked that players refrain from partaking during the mini's. His were one of the only mini's I felt I could say something when someone wanted to lite up.

One other quick story. Randy Greywolf was the disc golfer that found out about the Saturday service. He literally was thinking about EBH for a few days and called his parents house Saturday morning to see how he was doing. That had to be an awkward call. It was Curry North who woke me up Saturday morning with a text message. At the grave side service, Eric's dad apologized to Randy saying they wanted to call him but could not remember his last name.

When I told me wife I was going to go ahead and head out to Alba, she wanted to go. She also knew him, she use to play the Plano mini's with me.

exczar
Jan 22 2008, 02:55 PM
Randy seems to possess an extra sense about things we can't see or know about. That's why he changed his last name. And you were right about EBH's errant throws. That's what I referred to as "vapor lock". The disc just wouldn't leave his hand sometimes except way after it was supposed to. I've seen him flatten a drive right on the tee pad, and it landed flat on its dome and stayed there.

But, he also got an ace at a PDGA World Championship! Something I will most likely never do!

demrick
Jan 25 2008, 01:19 PM
I just got an email this morning from a fellow disc golfer. I played a few of his minis and he was full of the disc golf spirit. And it's true, I never ever heard him complain, not just about his health, but about anything. We lost a good one, RIP Eric.

Pizza God
Jan 25 2008, 05:50 PM
Eric B. Hill Obituary (http://www.legacy.com/DallasMorningNews/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=101856194)

I think it would be very nice if we all
Signed the guest book (http://www.legacy.com/DallasMorningNews/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=101856194) I am sure it would mean a lot to the family knowing he had a lot of friends and touched a lot of people.

frisbeeguy
Jan 27 2008, 02:27 AM
Thanks Bryan for posting.
It was a always great to know I'd see Eric B. Hill when visiting Dallas on my yearly winter sorjourn south.
When life brought me back to Texas to live permanently B.B. Owen became my home course and Eric was one of the friends that I enjoyed seeing regularly.
A couple years later we frequently spoke on the phone while I was taking orders at the disc warehouse...it was a sad day when he told me he was placing his last order...that he was unable to continue running the minis and selling plastic anymore.
I've lost a brother.

gotcha
Jan 27 2008, 09:52 AM
Eric B. Hill Obituary (http://www.legacy.com/DallasMorningNews/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=101856194)

Signed the guest book (http://www.legacy.com/DallasMorningNews/GB/GuestbookView.aspx?PersonId=101856194) I am sure it would mean a lot to the family knowing he had a lot of friends and touched a lot of people.

Thank you for posting this, Pizza....

Pizza God
Feb 03 2008, 04:43 PM
I just wanted to thank all of you who signed the Guest book. I know iit will mean a lot to the family to see that he touched the lives of people from all over.

Thank you for posting this, Pizza....