JERMAN
Jan 13 2008, 08:11 PM
when playing doubles (since i know of no doubles rules via the pdga) -

is it ok for the non throwing partner to hold back say a branch while the throwing partner shoots?
if so, does the non throwing partner have to be behind the mini as well or can that player be in front of the marker anywhere?

if no rules are out there (or if they are please link it) then is this more or a team interpretation or local course interpretation?

johnbiscoe
Jan 13 2008, 08:39 PM

is it ok for the non throwing partner to hold back say a branch while the throwing partner shoots?

this would be subject to local interpretation but OF FREAKING COURSE NOT!!! :mad:

how do you marylanders come up with this nonsense??? ;)

JERMAN
Jan 13 2008, 08:59 PM
well shouldn't there be a set of rules for various types of doubles play? after tournament play i would have to say doubles is the 2nd biggest game played by disc golfers, how can the pdga just turn a blind eye to this and not establish a set of rules for crying out loud?

it would just make sense and i would like to see my membership dues put to something as useful as establishing doubles rules

the way i see it if it is not in the rule book then it is left for interpretation of each player. in my opinion holding a branch back would be very a "courteous act of play" and should be rewarded!

Mark_Stephens
Jan 13 2008, 10:01 PM
I would say that all the PDGA rules are used. You just take two shots from each lie. What is so different???

JERMAN
Jan 13 2008, 10:28 PM
well it seems that if you took two shots from each lie then you take 4 shots, that doesn't seem right. maybe a shot each from one lie but when i shoot i will occasionally stand where it holds a branch out of my way so i can bring the backhand all the way back and through the shot. why not be allowed to utilize my partner who would just be standing there watching my upshot just the same?

i don't know of a specific rule offhand that would say that couldn't be done now. no damage would occur and the said branch would whip back into place leaving conditions the same for others playing behind us.

shifting gears a bit...
having a caddy is an unfair advantage i would think but not much is said when others tag along and carry discs for someone or offer advice during a round on tour...

cbdiscpimp
Jan 13 2008, 10:33 PM
You take your shot and your partners shot!!! Thats two shots from each lie..........All PDGA rules apply and if your parner aces on his shot before you your not allowed to take your shot because you cannot mathmaticaly improve your score..........If you were to throw it would be considered a practice throw and you would get penalized.......Holding branches back during sanctioned play is not allowed and it is also not allowed during a doubles tourney whether its sanctioned or not.

All the same rules apply except you are throwing your shot and your partners shot from each lie.....That and if you cant mathmaticaly improve your score your not allowed to throw!!!

Mark_Stephens
Jan 13 2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for being more specific... ;)

The specific rule that you want is that you cannot move any object between your lie and the basket. There are a few exceptions such as moving a competitor or other things that were not there when the round began. It does not matter if it swings back in place. I would tell you the exact rule number if my bag were near the computer.

ck34
Jan 13 2008, 10:47 PM
Official Doubles rules are under the Rules link:
www.pdga.com/rules/doubles.php (http://www.pdga.com/rules/doubles.php)

nanook
Jan 13 2008, 11:59 PM
i don't know of a specific rule offhand that would say that couldn't be done now. no damage would occur and the said branch would whip back into place leaving conditions the same for others playing behind us.

How about this:
803.05B. Obstacles Between the Lie and Hole: A player may not move, alter, bend, break, or hold back any part of any obstacle, including casual obstacles, between the lie and the hole, with one exception: A player may move obstacles between the lie and the hole that became a factor during the round, such as spectators, players� equipment, open gates, or branches that fell during the round. Where it is not known if an obstacle has become a factor during a round, it shall not be moved. It is legal for a player�s throwing motion to make incidental movement of an obstacle.

nanook

P.S. Hey Mark, don't forget the rules are also on the PDGA website! :D

JERMAN
Jan 14 2008, 07:41 AM
thanks fellas

Mark_Stephens
Jan 14 2008, 08:46 AM

How about this:
803.05B. Obstacles Between the Lie and Hole: A player may not move, alter, bend, break, or hold back any part of any obstacle, including casual obstacles, between the lie and the hole, with one exception: A player may move obstacles between the lie and the hole that became a factor during the round, such as spectators, players� equipment, open gates, or branches that fell during the round. Where it is not known if an obstacle has become a factor during a round, it shall not be moved. It is legal for a player�s throwing motion to make incidental movement of an obstacle.

nanook

P.S. Hey Mark, don't forget the rules are also on the PDGA website! :D

I did not forget... I was going to go do that when my brewing beer was looking like it might boil over! Had to go!!!! :)

davidsauls
Jan 14 2008, 10:09 AM
when i shoot i will occasionally stand where it holds a branch out of my way so i can bring the backhand all the way back and through the shot.

803.04D
A player must choose the stance that will result in the LEAST movement of any part of any obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course.

nanook
Jan 14 2008, 02:49 PM
I did not forget... I was going to go do that when my brewing beer was looking like it might boil over! Had to go!!!! :)

Aha, certainly a justifiable reason! Brew on my good man, brew on!

nanook

exczar
Jan 14 2008, 02:52 PM
Official Doubles rules are under the Rules link:
www.pdga.com/rules/doubles.php (http://www.pdga.com/rules/doubles.php)

CHUCK!!! You're BACK!!!

ck34
Jan 14 2008, 03:06 PM
I said I would post announcements as needed when I happened to check the Board once in a while. No commentary.

Boognish
Jan 14 2008, 03:26 PM
How about this:

It states "a player". Could someone not playing from your lie hold a branch back? Could your wife hold a branch back if she weren't playing?

I know the intent of the rule, but this argument could be made.

rollinghedge
Jan 14 2008, 03:30 PM

this would be subject to local interpretation but OF FREAKING COURSE NOT!!! :mad:

how do you marylanders come up with this nonsense??? ;)

Hilarious. :)

travisgreenway
Jan 14 2008, 03:35 PM
If you just keep it in the fairway then it is real easy to play from your lie without having anyone hold back anything.... :eek:

gnduke
Jan 14 2008, 05:00 PM
From the competition manual:

3.5. Carts and Caddies
A. Players are required to walk during their tournament rounds at all PDGA events unless alternate transportation such as golf carts are provided to all competitors
B. Players will have the option to bring a caddie or carrying device during their round of play. A player�s caddie is subject to all items with in the PDGA Rules of Play and the PDGA Competition Manual including all applicable dress codes.
C. Players choosing to use a caddie will be solely responsible for their caddie�s conduct. Misconduct by a caddie may subject the player and caddy to disqualification and/or suspension.
D. Players must instruct their caddies to maintain a reasonable distance and not interfere with a competitor attempting his or her shot.
E. For those players wishing to use a carrying device, approved carrying devices include disc golf bags, foldable chairs and push cart companions. No animals, motor driven or bicycle type devices shall be allowed at all PDGA events.

hazard
Jan 19 2008, 06:42 PM
when i shoot i will occasionally stand where it holds a branch out of my way so i can bring the backhand all the way back and through the shot.

As David already pointed out, this is a stance violation. Stop doing it.

Greg_R
Jan 22 2008, 02:49 PM
All PDGA rules apply and if your parner aces on his shot before you your not allowed to take your shot because you cannot mathmaticaly improve your score..........If you were to throw it would be considered a practice throw and you would get penalized.

Yes, but doesn't "holed out" mean that the disc has been removed from the basket? If your partner hits a blind ace and then you throw, why would you be penalized? Using this same logic, could you still putt after your partner makes his/her putt (assuming they leave the disc in the chains)?

JWI
Jan 25 2008, 06:49 PM
All PDGA rules apply and if your parner aces on his shot before you your not allowed to take your shot because you cannot mathmaticaly improve your score..........If you were to throw it would be considered a practice throw and you would get penalized.

Yes, but doesn't "holed out" mean that the disc has been removed from the basket? If your partner hits a blind ace and then you throw, why would you be penalized? Using this same logic, could you still putt after your partner makes his/her putt (assuming they leave the disc in the chains)?

Can you? I'd say no. Do you? Personally, I like to know if I could have made that 30' shot from behind the tree as well and just may be tempted to try.

~JWI