frogponddiver
Jan 01 2008, 07:07 PM
When does a person become eligible to compete in an age protected division? On their birthday or in the year of their birth? For example: Grandmaster - is a person born in 1958 eligible for this division as of 1/1/2008 or do they have to wait until their birthdate?

frogponddiver
Jan 01 2008, 07:12 PM
I believe I found my answer - it is anytime during the year.

gnduke
Jan 02 2008, 11:20 AM
That is correct now.
Not too long ago it was based on the birthday.

JamesMyers
Jan 03 2008, 02:43 AM
what about juniors?

gnduke
Jan 03 2008, 02:49 AM
http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08TourStandards.pdf

See page 5. It's based on the year, not the birthday.

DOC65
Jan 08 2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08TourStandards.pdf

See page 5. It's based on the year, not the birthday.

This is the pits for those who have a birthday in the early months such as Jan. compared to those who have a birthday in Dec. The latter could get a full year of playing as a young whipper snapper. :D

If it's going to be a year then why not make it within 12 months of their birthday so all whipper snappers have a chance? :confused:

bruce_brakel
Jan 08 2008, 01:46 PM
The reason for making it year rather than day is so you can play your summer series or annual series in your age protected division for the whole series. To me this especially makes sense for juniors.

I am one of the players who might gain some small advantage from the old rule, since I have a January birthday, and to me either rule is fine. There's not that big a difference between 39 and 40. There's not that big a difference between 39 and 49 for that matter. I'm a better player a couple weeks shy of 49 than I was at 39, I know that.

Another thing, a birthday in January is far better than a birthday in December. People regift you their Christmas presents for your birthday in January so you get presents from people you would not expect one from. December's children get gifts with a tag that says "Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas" and it is no better than what their sister got for her Christmas present, but then she gets a birthday present too.

Jon and I know. :D

DOC65
Jan 08 2008, 05:39 PM
The reason for making it year rather than day is so you can play your summer series or annual series in your age protected division for the whole series. To me this especially makes sense for juniors.

I am one of the players who might gain some small advantage from the old rule, since I have a January birthday, and to me either rule is fine. There's not that big a difference between 39 and 40. There's not that big a difference between 39 and 49 for that matter. I'm a better player a couple weeks shy of 49 than I was at 39, I know that.

Another thing, a birthday in January is far better than a birthday in December. People regift you their Christmas presents for your birthday in January so you get presents from people you would not expect one from. December's children get gifts with a tag that says "Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas" and it is no better than what their sister got for her Christmas present, but then she gets a birthday present too.

Jon and I know. :D

You must have a late Jan. birthday then. Mine is the first week and I always saw the "Merry Christmas Happy Birthday" gifts. :confused:

As the sport grows though and you get more players that start to reach the advanced years I think we will start to see a bigger difference between the majority of 39-49 year olds. Especially those coming out of the advanced am divisions vs those starting later.