superberry
Dec 28 2007, 11:15 AM
Okay, we've all had Jared and Subway crammed down our throats over porbably more than 10 years now, but it got me thinking about what just happened with myself and my family.

This last spring my wife and I vowed to lose some weight and get into better shape. We were just shooting for 10 pounds or so, and off we started. We made some simple lifestyle changes, altered how much we ate, cut out some types of foods (believe me not much, we are garbage junkies), and simply vowed to be more active. Our ingenious solution to becoming more active? - simply play the course we built over the past 4 years. So, we made Tuesday and Thursday our disc golf nights. After dinner we'd head out to the course with the kids and play a casual round up and down the hills at Winter Park. Starting in June, and through October (when it starts getting dark shortly after dinner) we did this twice a week, and typically played Winter Park or some other course on the weekend. I played other rounds and leagues as well, but our routine was 3-4 rounds per week.

As of right now, I have lost 36 pounds and my wife has lost 21 pounds. We are in far better shape than a year ago. We feel completely light on our feet and have tons more energy. Personally I have not been at this weight in more than 12 years (since before my senior year in HS when I bulked up to play defensive line). We are defintely noticing the differences, and so is everyone around us. Our kids (age 9 and 4) are lean muscular balls of energy that get pushed very hard to keep up with us. They didn't always appreciate the physical nature of disc golf on the hills, and needed to be rewarded for coming out and doing this with us. We built a kid play area with swing, picnic table, and tree forts in the woods for the kids right in the center of 5 holes that the adults can get in while the kids play, and on our 'off' nights did activities they chose.

Now, since we live in WI, getting the whole family out for weekly rounds is much more difficult in winter. We've changed our routine to aerobic exercise and weight lifting to rebuild muscle mass and help keep the calories burning while our activity level drops. But believe me, WE CAN'T WAIT FOR SPRING TO START DISCIN AGAIN. (I bet this year will be a record for how soon I get the baskets back in the ground)

So, I have to admit the publicity possibility of the change had crossed my mind (I have some un-flattering 'before' pictures of me discin at Gran Canyon with my shirt off). But all in all, this is a personal success story that I wanted to attribute to my passion of disc golf. We've lost weight, gotten in shape, become more healty, created family time and bonding, been able to bask in the pride of something we worked long and hard to create, and all the time expeiernced the natural beauty of Winter Park and taught our kids about respecting their surroundings.

Are there others out there that have used discin to achieve any of their goals?

superberry
Jan 01 2008, 03:19 PM
<post edited for personal attack>

Jan 02 2008, 10:19 AM
<post edited for personal attack>

anyway,
great story!!! </font>

xterramatt
Jan 03 2008, 10:47 AM
AM:
3 x http://blogmode.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/water.jpg + 1 bowl of http://store.kashi.com/images/golean_box.jpg + skim milk, maybe a cup of coffee, black, no cream or sugar

Lunch:
3 x http://blogmode.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/water.jpg + 1 http://www.starkist.com/products/images/lunchtogo.jpg

Dinner:
Just about anything within reason, hopefully some vegetables. You can even have a beer or wine.

Do a little exercise every day. Track your progress positively. I use www.joesgoals.com (http://www.joesgoals.com) and www.gyminee.com (http://www.gyminee.com) both are great. joesgoals is a great way to track your progress and make it kinda fun in the process.

That's how I've been getting it done. Down 28 pounds this year. I only get a round of disc golf a week too.

circle_2
Jan 03 2008, 02:00 PM
Down 28 pounds this year.

Dude, 28 lbs in 3 days is AMAZING! :D :p

xterramatt
Jan 04 2008, 01:03 AM
It's all water weight. :)

Jeannie
Jan 18 2008, 10:23 AM
Bill Newman from NEFA and I discussed doing something similar. He was going to interview me for an article in DGWN about my weight loss from disc golf. It is a great sport for those that are trying to lose weight and have trouble exercising. I was almost 40 when I started playing. Aerobics were difficult for a couple of reasons for me, but disc golf was awesome. I don't attribute all of my weight loss to disc golf, but I have lost around 60 lbs. since I started, and it was disc golf that gave me the initiative. It was fun and I wasn't thinking about the exercise I was getting.

MarkN
Mar 27 2009, 02:17 PM
On a side note. Last November I started a weight loss / strengthening program and have lost 42 pounds and should also be stronger as I increased my sit-ups per session from 20 to 100 and my push ups from 4 to 20. I do more than just these two exercises but these are the two I notice improvement since I always try to increase these reps.

Without my beer belly and 42 pounds less my body is lighter and faster and I have a lot more flexibility (feels like I am a feather when I walk and run-and yes I actually sprint race with my grandkid at times now too - crazy)

I am 44 years old and have officially been measured at throwing 428 feet. I would say I average around 400 feet and have personally measured my longest at over 455. I live in Colorado which I feel does add distance. My best guess is that I lose 30 feet at sea level.

During the weight loss and strengthening I noticed I was not throwing as well but it�s kind of hard to tell sometimes when you are playing with heavy sweatshirts on and in cold weather.

I feel the weight loss has screwed up my timing. I go left / right and rarely seem to be on target. I have tried slowing down and extending my reach back with little success other than when I time it perfectly I seem to get 50+ feet . I used to have audible snap when I throw and that is 99% gone.

Is there a fitness expert that can suggest what I should be focusing on? Should I slow down my xstep more? Should I try to increase my reach back. Should I increase the size of my x steps? Should I focus on slowing down my faster arm to get the snap back??