johnrock
Dec 16 2007, 08:33 PM
Is it allowable to use evidence as a second when calling a foot fault?

In order to be valid, a foot fault call needs to be seconded by someone in the group or an official (the official can make the call without a second). If no one in the group (including the faulter) will make the second call for whatever reason, can you use the marks on the ground as evidence that a foot fault occured? Many times I look for my tracks to make sure I hit my mark, so I know it's a viable call as long as the mini or disc stays in place for everyone else to see and agree or disagree.

I know it's been discussed elsewhere using video if it's readily available, but playing in the snow, areas that are covered in dew, or damp dirt show tracks very well. If the evidence is right there in plain sight, why couldn't it be used to second a foot fault call?

ck34
Dec 16 2007, 08:55 PM
It could be used as long as you persuade the majority of the group the evidence was valid.

the_kid
Dec 16 2007, 09:41 PM
It could be used as long as you persuade the majority of the group the evidence was valid.

Within 2 seconds. :D

ck34
Dec 16 2007, 11:15 PM
Only the initial call has to be made by one person within three seconds, 803.04F.

exczar
Dec 17 2007, 01:49 PM
I would be hesitant in using such evidence to confirm the initial call. If there are tracks that are outside of what would be considered a valid stance, what evidence is there that these tracks were created at the time of the throw, and not before and/or after?

jefferson
Dec 17 2007, 03:20 PM
if the thrower is still standing in said track

august
Dec 17 2007, 03:24 PM
I would be hesitant in using such evidence to confirm the initial call. If there are tracks that are outside of what would be considered a valid stance, what evidence is there that these tracks were created at the time of the throw, and not before and/or after?

That would be a question for the group from the official. I would think a prudent official would have to be satisfied beyond reasonable doubt before making the foot fault call, especially if it was not witnessed by the official and all that was left was evidence as described.

A unique situation for sure and completely outside the normal realm, but not impossible to handle.

jtkustomizer
Dec 17 2007, 03:26 PM
Use a small whoopie cushion for a mini and if you hear it go off then you have a foot fault.

stack
Dec 17 2007, 03:28 PM
i've seen people throw (natural teepads is where it really shows) and if you watch closely they aren't foot faulting... but if you look @ the dirt they easily scuff up to 1/2' past the 'fault line'.

This is the main reason I'd be hesitant to use marks in the dirt as evidence.

rhett
Dec 17 2007, 03:42 PM
<font color="blue">Post deleted by author, thereby saving the moderation team the trouble.</font>

listen2bob
Dec 17 2007, 04:29 PM
I would say no. At the last tourney I played in we had a photographer take action photos of all the players. On of the pictures they printed of me was a tee shot on a 430' hole. in the picture it shows my plant foot pointedtoward the hole and hanging off the end of the pad. Foot fault as many pointed out to me. but not so fast,1. the disc had already been released, 2. when I throw my foot doesn't point forward until my follow through. 3. when I released my disc my foot had not yet passed the end of the pad.
So photographic evidence can be misleading.

rhett
Dec 17 2007, 04:38 PM
<font color="blue">Post deleted by author, thereby saving the moderation team the trouble.</font>

the_kid
Dec 17 2007, 04:40 PM

Within 2 seconds. :D

Aren't pros supposed to know the rules??? :D

Hey when I call foot faults it is within 2 seconds. Speed of play reasons as 3 secs is too slow. :D

Lyle O Ross
Dec 17 2007, 05:10 PM
Use a small whoopie cushion for a mini and if you hear it go off then you have a foot fault.

Better to use an anti-personnel mine, people won't foot-fault more than once. :D

exczar
Dec 17 2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah, but a stump-fault is not allowed either.

gnduke
Dec 17 2007, 08:29 PM

Better to use an anti-personnel mine, people won't foot-fault more than once. :D

Too much collateral damage and the neighbors complain about the noise. :eek:

deoldphart
Dec 28 2007, 05:10 PM
Technically, I have a 2" space in my shoe towards the end to give me some leeway. LOL So if my shoe is 2" passed, then it can be taken into consideration. Then I would remove my shoes, and just the smell would shut all up. LOL

Just kidden.

Mini Thumber

riverdog
Dec 28 2007, 05:53 PM
I've got one of those silly motion detector barking dogs concealed in a hollow tree off the front corner of #5 teebox Ramcat. That dude barks and you have foot faulted. End of discussion. Maybe not as accurate as professional tennis' Cyclops, but a fair bit funnier. :cool: