TexasAggie
Dec 11 2007, 03:06 PM
I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice about putting in the wind. I played in some 20 mph wind today and realized that this is something I really need to work on.

One thing that seemed to work for me was putting relatively hard, with a slight angle that made the wind push down on the top of the disc. That would be slightly hyzer with a left-to-right wind, and slightly anny in right-to-left wind. That way, if I miss, the disc doesn't go flying away to another zip code...

I'm pretty good putting with the wind... I just fire it hard, knowing the bottom will drop out of the shot. I haven't quite figured out putting upwind yet.

Any advice?

c_trotter
Dec 11 2007, 03:21 PM
Wind putting is one of my specialties. I feel my style is a direct result of playing in windy conditions regularly.The best advice I can give is never show the bottom of the disc to the wind. I always want my shot dropping. Meaning, If there is a left to right wind I let my putt go with hyzer ( I am right handed). Right to left I will release with anhyzer. I always play the drop. I might not make a whole bunch of putts when its windy (who does?), but I will rarely three putt- which is the key to scoring in the wind.

I never rocket putts in the wind. I use touch and more importantly ANGLE to control the flight of my putt. With the correct angle you can get a nice straight flight.

In a headwind I take off a little speed and add a touch more spin. I usually aim at the tray with a little hyzer angle, maybe an inch or two down. It usually lifts a few inches and sails straight for the rest of its flight. By taking speed off of the putt the chances of three putting goes down dramatically, plus the disc tends to hold a much better line.

dionarlyn
Dec 11 2007, 03:30 PM
Putt with a GATOR, or a Star Classic Roc :)

tafe
Dec 11 2007, 03:54 PM
Sometimes in the headwind I try not to throw, just flip it. I concentrate on not moving my arm, just my wrist and the wind carries it in. At last years Ice Bowl, I putted like that and halfway to the basket the gust picked up speed and pushed my disc back at me. I still stick with this, because even if I miss, the disc doesn't have enough power to run away. Whereas if I just aim lower and that gust picks up it is gone.

rhett
Dec 11 2007, 04:35 PM
The best advice I can give is never show the bottom of the disc to the wind.

Advice worth repeating.

ck34
Dec 11 2007, 04:47 PM
Unless, of course, you are putting with the disc upside down on purpose which works to reduce lift in the wind.

TexasAggie
Dec 11 2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all the input, that helps a lot. The course I learned on was in the woods, sheltered from the wind, so I haven't had much experience with it.

I did try using my Roc (don't have a classic roc) for short putts when the wind was gusting REALLY hard. I felt much more confident than I had with my Aviar.

What about driving with a strong wind behind you? I threw my Beast (normally goes 300-350') on a high line, and it went about 200' before the bottom totally dropped out of it. Is that just dumb luck, or is there a way to reduce the odds of the disc dropping?

Ruder
Dec 11 2007, 05:26 PM
Throw lighter/less stable plastic for a tailwind. Throwing a disc high can also help to some extent.

I have my own philosophy about putting in the wind and it kind of goes against everything that is said.

rhett
Dec 11 2007, 06:01 PM
I did try using my Roc (don't have a classic roc) for short putts when the wind was gusting REALLY hard. I felt much more confident than I had with my Aviar.

I wouldn't recommend putting with a Roc into a headwind because if you draw air the Roc will fly a lot further away than a putter would.

Upside-down putting is good in strong wind, but it's not something you would really want to try for the first time during a tourney. It takes practice, and you want to make sure the disc lands flat when you miss so that it doesn't get up and roll away. (The idea is that the wind will push the disc down so when you miss, it simply hits the ground and stays.)

rizbee
Dec 11 2007, 06:56 PM
Rhett - did you get to practice some of these techniques over the weekend? These points seem to be so fresh in your memory. ;)

rhett
Dec 11 2007, 07:40 PM
Rhett - did you get to practice some of these techniques over the weekend? These points seem to be so fresh in your memory. ;)

Whenever I play in the wind, I think of the "Snapper's Tips" from the Morley website about playing in the wind:

1) Keep it low

2) Reduce expectations

:D

omarroper
Dec 11 2007, 08:30 PM
What about driving with a strong wind behind you?

I have heard and noticed that in general terms a headwind will make a disc fly less overstable and a tailwind will hake a disc fly more overstable.

Throw lighter/less stable plastic for a tailwind. Throwing a disc high can also help to some extent.

I'm not sure about throwing high (maybe more carry), but lightweight and understable are great for tailwinds.

The real kicker is remembering how the wind sees your disc. Normally the air to disc contact is mostly forward motion, but wind will obviously change this interaction. Really dissect your throw and determine if you are putting nose up, nose down, hyzer, anhyzer, minimal spin, lots of spin...

I also look for valleys and saddles in the landscape. I notice discs push over saddles and drop into valleys in windy conditions.

1) Keep it low
2) Reduce expectations

Too true. :D.
By the way, I putt with my Gator in heavy wind conditions. I also try to never show the underside of the disc to the wind (because I have not mastered the upside down putt).

tafe
Dec 12 2007, 11:25 AM
When putting with a Roc or any larger diameter mid-range you are essentially reducing the size of your target area since the disc is larger. If you want to try different discs, get a smaller-diameter mid. I personally don't subscribe to it. I always putt with my "putting" putter (as opposed to my "throwing" putters) so that I get used to all its characteristics and don't have to try and remeber how some other disc works when the money is on the line.

mikeP
Dec 12 2007, 02:29 PM
In strong tailwinds "disc down" to a midrange or putter and throw high--they will go farther than drivers with less effort.

tafe
Dec 12 2007, 03:18 PM
I'm all about "discing-down" any time that I can, except the way that you describe. There is no way I'm going to get a putter or my mids to go farther than my drivers. They just don't hold the speed that drivers do.
Essentially what is going on when the disc drops is a matter of speed. Stability of the disc is directly related to the speed at which it travels through the air. More speed=less stability, less speed=more stability. Flip a driver 50 feet and it flexes hard - no speed. If you throw a driver at 40 mph into a 20 mph headwind, it thinks it's going 60 mph - less stability, more turn. Throw a driver 40 mph with a 20 mph tailwind, it thinks it's going 20 mph - more stability.
My maximium distance disc in a tailwind is a 169 pro wraith that got run over by a car. If I throw it flat with no wind, it's rolling, tailwind and it glides forever.
The best way to learn is to get a few copies of your favorite discs and get out to a big open field with a big wind. Try to throw in all directions (not at the same time).
I'll even go out in the rain a few times a year just so when it rains on tourney day I know what's going to change in my game. And always carry a super under and a super overstable disc. You never know.

mikeP
Dec 13 2007, 09:39 AM
I was talking more about golf shots in a tailwind, not max D. My understable distance driver is a Rogue. It is flippy, but still quite fast. If I have a 20mph tail wind directly behind me the Rogue is still going to stall early and fade hard. It may still get more distance than my putter, but on a hole less than 400' in these conditions, I would throw a putter or mid instead because they are going to fly more true. I have thrown a champion big bead Aviar 400' with a strong tailwind without any turn or fade and I can put my ESP Banger-GT 350' comfortably with any tailwind on a very straight flight. Again, I'm not going to grab a putter or mid to throw max D in a tailwind, but on the course for those 320-400' shots where I usually would usually use a driver I consider my mid or putter if there is a strong tailwind. Knowing how to use your primary discs in all conditions is better than carrying a bunch of "just in case" discs everyday imo.

tafe
Dec 13 2007, 10:49 AM
Different strokes for different folks, eh?
I don't espouse carrying a bunch of "just in case" discs. Just two. I have found it very beneficial in tourney situations to have access to discs that are more on the extreme sides of the stability spectrum than I think I'll need.
To the original asker; obviously there is no "right" answer, get out in that field and experiment. Good luck

Luckymutha
Dec 13 2007, 04:21 PM
I was talking more about golf shots in a tailwind, not max D. My understable distance driver is a Rogue. It is flippy, but still quite fast. If I have a 20mph tail wind directly behind me the Rogue is still going to stall early and fade hard. It may still get more distance than my putter, but on a hole less than 400' in these conditions, I would throw a putter or mid instead because they are going to fly more true. I have thrown a champion big bead Aviar 400' with a strong tailwind without any turn or fade and I can put my ESP Banger-GT 350' comfortably with any tailwind on a very straight flight. Again, I'm not going to grab a putter or mid to throw max D in a tailwind, but on the course for those 320-400' shots where I usually would usually use a driver I consider my mid or putter if there is a strong tailwind. Knowing how to use your primary discs in all conditions is better than carrying a bunch of "just in case" discs everyday imo.

A Rogue with a tailwind is like a Destroyer with no wind, except with more distance.