geoloseth
Dec 07 2007, 05:33 PM
I've been slowly gaining more distance out of my drives, except now I'm throwing lower, line drives that are only about 10' up. Whenever I try to get more height on the disc it now just noses up and stalls. Anyone have any suggestions to keep the nose down without losing the new distance that I'm getting. For reference, I was throwing drives about 350' with height at about 20' to 25', now I'm getting to about 425' with height at about 10'.

I love getting the distance, but now I can't even clear small trees in the fairway.

Thanks for the help!

Lyle O Ross
Dec 07 2007, 06:12 PM
I'm betting you're getting a completely different drive out of the two throws. If you can throw 425 feet at 10', there's no way you're bombing out at 350' at 20' in height. I'd guess that you're actually a lot higher than 20 feet, more like 50' and you're simply running out of poop on the disc you're using.

geoloseth
Dec 07 2007, 06:27 PM
I've watched the throws and they're not getting much over 20', but they are flying nose up.

How can I get that 50' high, nose down throw without running out of "poop" on it.

readysetstab
Dec 07 2007, 06:49 PM
helps to keep your thumb closer to the edge of the disc.

also, depending on how you grip...

most people keep the disc edge right along the seem of their hand. if you slightly adjust the angle of the disc in your hand so that the side closer to your fingers is pointed a little more downward and the back of the disc, near your wrist, is pointed more upward, it should help the trajectory a little. really, this is just a tiny adjustment. you shouldn't even be able to see a difference, but you can feel it.

z Vaughn z
Dec 07 2007, 07:10 PM
A couple things to try as I have over come this same problem. (but I still love the line drive bomb!)

The problem I was having was when I was going for height with a long drive, I was inadvertently holding on to the disc longer causing the disc to release from my hand nose-up.

The other problem (very important) I conquered was keeping my wrist down. When holding your disc with your normal grip, hold your arm straight out in front of you. Then bring your arm down so your disc and arm are perpendicular to the ground. Look at the orientation of the disc. If you can see the logo on your disc, you are throwing in a nose-up prone position. Rotate your wrist down so that the disc is perpendicular to the ground and you can no longer see the top logo. This is great nose down wrist angle.

The hard part is maintaning this wrist down orientation throughout the throw at first. With practice, combining these two items will lead you to higher nose down flights!!

You can adjust your grip a little like the person above stated also. Having your disc pointed downward in your full reach back can yield positive nose-down tendencies as well.

Good Luck!

citysmasher
Dec 28 2007, 09:43 PM
If you are throwing low and that far, you are throwing an "air bounce" drive. To do this your wrist is breaking down in the upward direction. You are essentially "throwing down" with "nose up" which equals nose neutral.

You need to get your wrist down, and maintain wrist down through the snap. This will be a dramatically different kind of release for you.