seeker
Dec 07 2007, 11:40 AM
Our January event will either combine the Missouri City course with additional classic Neal Dambra "course of pain" designed temporary holes at the Quail Valley Country Club
OR
18 holes (temp hoping to turn permanent) on the Quail Valley Country Club property

Here is our preliminary 08 schedule:

2008 Greater Houston Championship Series
Sponsored by HoustonBirdshot.com

Saturday only
PDGA Sanctioned events! :D

(Pending PDGA C tier sanctioning - dates may change)

January 19 The Mo City Mash
February 9 Ice Fishing at Jack Brooks
March 15 Dress Rehearsal for States at Tom Bass
April 26 Who's your MacDaddy? at MacGregor
May 24 McMayhem at McDade
June 14 The Awesome Agnes Moffitt
July 12 Bringa yo Floata to Mozola
August 9 King Me at Kingwood
September 6 The Spring Valley Spectacular
October 4 The Fabulous First Colony Aquatic Center
November 8 Take�em Out TC Jester
December 13 The 2008 Championship Series Finale -Tom Bass Park

Non sanctioned Mini Tournaments
January 5 The Sheriff at Nottingham Park
March 1 Rolling on the River at River Plantation

travisgreenway
Dec 07 2007, 11:48 PM
You guys are the BEST thing to happen in H-town in a while thanks for all your work....KEEP DISCIN'...I'll make as many as I can....Keep kingwood in mind one of the boy scouts is doing a project to clean it up so the city can mow it it is looking pretty good..Played it today and it was nice. Any way thanks again and I'll see yall on the course :D

seeker
Dec 12 2007, 01:29 PM
Mo City Mash Jan 19 is on the new Texas States Course!!
Great, great piece o property and a Neal Dambra designed "course of pain"!!

You will love this venue!!

Looking at the 08 schedule:

March 15 Bass same weekend as HOTT The RED Rock Show (Red Rock)
May 24 McDade same weekend as S TX Shootout (Beeville)
Aug 9 Kingwood same weekend as Shule School (Ingleside)
Sept 6 Spring Valley same weekend as HOTT Mystery (who knows)
Oct 4 1st Colony same weekend as HOTT Octoberfest ( Round Rock)
November 8 TC Jester same weekend as HOTT Lewisville Open

Is this a problem for anyone?

reply back or pm back asap!
We can look at changing some dates but we want to do it early so that people can make plans (I know, how un-disc-golfer-like)

This should only affect a few of you tournament-obsessed types that want to play both series events or for some unknown reason want to escape the gentle balmy warmth of Houston for the harsh arid clime of Centex

but we have to know cuz we plan on submitting our sanctioning paperwork sooooooon (for disc golfers )

So, replay back or pm me asap!!!

Mo City Mash Jan 19 is on the new Texas States Course!! Mo City Mash Jan 19 is on the new Texas States Course!!

ching_lizard
Dec 12 2007, 03:01 PM
It shouldn't be a problem Mike.

Distance is too far between those other events for it to make a difference.

the_kid
Dec 12 2007, 03:29 PM
huh? I had already planned on attending all of those so how would that not be a problem. I say that if there is an open weekend nearby it may be good to reschedule.

suemac
Dec 12 2007, 03:38 PM
Scooter, sometimes we'll just have to pick, and Moody's wins hands down for me.

Getting to where there's something every weekend, if you just look around the state.

tbender
Dec 12 2007, 04:45 PM
Wait a minute, won't you have classwork?

suemac
Dec 12 2007, 04:52 PM
He just wants the golf opportunities spread over as many different weekends has possible. He might have some free time.................someday. :D

Good to see both you guys in Tyler! What a fun weekend.

seeker
Dec 12 2007, 05:30 PM
Of our conflicts so far:
Mar 15 - No other open weekend in Mar
World bubs weekend is a possibility
Aug 9 - Crowley is 215 miles from Kingwood
I don't see that anyone from Houston area made the trip last year
Sep 6 - ?? location from Spring Valley?
We both want the only open date in Sept
Oct 4 - Red Rock
I will recommend Oct 25th
Nov 8 Circle R (the final)
I will recommend Nov 15

What other tourneys are going to turn up this year?
March, April, July, Aug and Sept are all full

It would really help if people would get their calendars out NOW

seeker
Dec 27 2007, 02:00 PM
Just wondering what the market is thinking...

Questions of the day:

Greatly simplified, a topic of great debate on the PDGA board is whether or not local tourneys should be allowed on days that are direct conflicts.

seeker
Dec 27 2007, 02:02 PM
Just wondering what the market is thinking...

Questions of the day:

Greatly simplified, a topic of great debate on the PDGA board is whether or not local tourneys should be allowed on days that are direct conflicts.

suemac
Dec 27 2007, 02:40 PM
As your events are geared to new locals, why not go the TX 10 route and not sanction at all? For the new player.......that $10 fee is going to seem mighty steep.

Maybe a SN qualifier instead........$2-3, right?

ching_lizard
Dec 27 2007, 04:36 PM
As your events are geared to new locals, why not go the TX 10 route and not sanction at all? For the new player.......that $10 fee is going to seem mighty steep.

I was curious to refresh my memory about Birdshot as this didn't seem like what their stated purpose was. Here is what the Birdshot website says is their purpose:

Our Purpose: To present affordable, professional, Saturday only, fun disc golf tournaments

once a month in a timely manner that showcases the premiere disc golf courses

of the greater Houston area.

The statement doesn't say PDGA at all.

I seem to recall some e-mail messages from Chuck to the effect that they were going to start running tournaments because since Bannister's retirement, there weren't enough/any sanctioned events around town.

I didn't see anything about seeking to draw new players being one of their purposes.

The $10 temp PDGA fee shouldn't be that big of an obstacle for anyone. It allows a new-comer to try their hand at a PDGA event without having to commit $50 first. If anyone is playing in multiple PDGA events, they should become a PDGA member anyway.

the_kid
Dec 27 2007, 04:43 PM

I was curious to refresh my memory about Birdshot as this didn't seem like what their stated purpose was. Here is what the Birdshot website says is their purpose:

Our Purpose: To present affordable, professional, Saturday only, fun disc golf tournaments

once a month in a timely manner that showcases the premiere disc golf courses

of the greater Houston area.

The statement doesn't say PDGA at all.

I seem to recall some e-mail messages from Chuck to the effect that they were going to start running tournaments because since Bannister's retirement, there weren't enough/any sanctioned events around town.

I didn't see anything about seeking to draw new players being one of their purposes.

The $10 temp PDGA fee shouldn't be that big of an obstacle for anyone. It allows a new-comer to try their hand at a PDGA event without having to commit $50 first. If anyone is playing in multiple PDGA events, they should become a PDGA member anyway.

Agreed and not receiving ratings and points may discourage some from playing. I know that is why I attend because its not like there is big money.

suemac
Dec 27 2007, 06:29 PM
Larry, from conversations I have had with Michael it is apparent they are trying to generate more local options, isn't that "drawing" new players? When they had their first event at MacGregor, the stated reason for the low entry fees was to make it more invitable to new players. Small or little payout was their first thought, it has obviously grown to something else. I remember hearing something about "trophy only" style events. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but somewhere along the way it grew into events with average entry fees, etc.

Matt, we all know that when given the option to head out of town to play an event, you do so. I think for those who are interested in accumulating points, they will travel to the B or better event anyway.

So, you only play these events when there isn't a better option. You voted that you planned to attend all the out of town events listed in the poll. HOW MANY FOLKS WHO PLAY EVENTS LIKE THIS ARE DOING IT FOR THE POINTS???

I think is more a matter of the fact that the game has grown to where the radius of competing events needs to be readdressed, at least here in TEXAS. As the new guys, wanting to run against established events, it rubs some folks the wrong way, period.

the_kid
Dec 27 2007, 07:15 PM
Larry, from conversations I have had with Michael it is apparent they are trying to generate more local options, isn't that "drawing" new players? When they had their first event at MacGregor, the stated reason for the low entry fees was to make it more invitable to new players. Small or little payout was their first thought, it has obviously grown to something else. I remember hearing something about "trophy only" style events. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but somewhere along the way it grew into events with average entry fees, etc.

Matt, we all know that when given the option to head out of town to play an event, you do so. I think for those who are interested in accumulating points, they will travel to the B or better event anyway.

So, you only play these events when there isn't a better option. You voted that you planned to attend all the out of town events listed in the poll. HOW MANY FOLKS WHO PLAY EVENTS LIKE THIS ARE DOING IT FOR THE POINTS???

I think is more a matter of the fact that the game has grown to where the radius of competing events needs to be readdressed, at least here in TEXAS. As the new guys, wanting to run against established events, it rubs some folks the wrong way, period.

I don't care about points since they mean nothing but I do like being able to play more events and if they are the same weekend that is hard to do but if they are separate weekends some may attend all of them.

I don't see the point in having 4 tournaments a month if they are only taking up two weekends. I say try to reschedule them. If not we will go back to having a 4 person open field because half the guys are out of town.

suemac
Dec 27 2007, 07:18 PM
So moving them when possible makes sense. Going to play QV this weekend?

the_kid
Dec 27 2007, 07:21 PM
So moving them when possible makes sense. Going to play QV this weekend?

Probably not, too far to go to see no baskets. Plus my car is mesed up.

seeker
Dec 29 2007, 12:44 AM
All Birdshot tourneys will always be PDGA sanctioned from now until forever. One of our goals is getting Houston area players tournament experience. Another of our goals is promoting and increasing PDGA and HFDS membership.

We are also talking with SN about sanctioning our tourneys for their championship.

There are going to be conflicts no matter what we do. If the last two years are any indication, this affects about 12 Houston area players on average per tournament. We are flexible about changing dates where it makes sense but those established tourneys fill every year and fill early so it's not really much of an issue.

All our dates were approved by the State Coordinator well before anyone else published their 08 calendars. We published our tournament schedule before anyone else.

Two Texas series have still not posted their calendars and when they do it will generate more conflicts.

Philosophically, tournament payouts are definitely NOT a priority; we would be happy to make the pro entry as high as the pros want to pay but Ams should be playing for the love of the game and not for financial incentive. We are about having inexpensive tournaments to grow the Houston tournament community. We will try to keep costs as low as possible in order to keep entry fees to a bare minimum.

the_kid
Dec 29 2007, 12:49 AM
The only problem is actually a personal one because one of my goals every year is to AVG $200 per event which is very tough when you play a lot of tournaments that only pay $100 for 1st. It is even harder when you play alot of those. Heck I think 2 of my three lowest cashes this year were wins. :confused:

travisgreenway
Dec 29 2007, 03:52 PM
OUCH :confused: So what do we need to do to grow the pro field in this area?

the_kid
Dec 29 2007, 05:49 PM
OUCH :confused: So what do we need to do to grow the pro field in this area?

Pro level courses.

the_kid
Jan 01 2008, 05:58 PM
Is there still an event on March 15? If so I hope it isn't at Bass because I just realized that I'll miss another one of these to go to New Orleans for the Pot o' Gold event.

Birdie
Jan 15 2008, 10:56 AM
It is comical how much you people schedule around Scooter...

I am an Administrator in the Tulsa Disc Sports Association and we would NEVER ask the pro's what their schedule's were so that we could plan around them...

We don't have all the problems of double booking in Oklahoma, but we still have our fair share of date disputes...

But to pamper a guy who seems to care less about your town is just silly......

I love playing out of town tournaments, and I am no pro or anything, but I (as an advanced player) feel an obligation to help out the local events and support your club.

If you want to go out of state, which is saying a lot for Texas, feel free but I always at least try and give a Club run event preference...

Obviously I am not from there, but it seems that you are having trouble with....what? Getting more pro's?

If you literally don't have enough people that is one thing. But there are plenty of people in Houston.

I think you probably have some players, maybe your higher rated ones, that are actually intimidating people from playing pro by one way or another....

I am sure you have all rolled your eyes a few times in this post saying, what does this guy know...? I have run a few B Tiers...I attended the administration meetings during 2006 Am Worlds in Tulsa, and my dad and I are both Course Directors and run weekly minis....

So I am by no means an Authority on how to do things....but I am just trying to spread the wealth...

My dad runs minis at Riverside (one of the shortest courses in town) and it is not uncommon for him to have 30-40 people out...

FYI that is about 75% pro's....

Of course, Tulsa has so many golfers, I think our Advanced field is twice as competitive as most clubs Pro division...jeez....now I am just bragging.... :D

suemac
Jan 15 2008, 11:03 AM
Rest assured they don't cow down to Matt, (as much as he'd like to think he has that influence) these guys are just new to the game of running events. They haven't realized you can't keep everyone happy...........especially Matt and most other Open players. We all know that when there are better events out of town, we head that way, Matt included.

So, how are the courses up there these days, I know there's a group of us considering heading up in May, but heard the ice storms had trashed the Mohawk courses?

tbender
Jan 15 2008, 11:57 AM
The last thing we do is schedule for his benefit.

In fact, it's a well-known conspiracy to schedule with the opposite intent.

suemac
Jan 15 2008, 12:27 PM
Well said there sir!

Birdie
Jan 15 2008, 12:31 PM
In fact, it's a well-known conspiracy to schedule with the opposite intent.

Haha! That made me laugh....

To answer Suemac's question...

Yes the Ice Storms were quite intense...

And it really set my putting back a ways seeing that my all my baskets were covered in inches of ice... :D

And yes Mohawk was, for lack of a better word, destroyed...

However...

Some time back Kevin McCoy was doing his normal stuff and looking for a new course to build...

And he found an Osage indian named Jim Taylor...

This guy was once wanted for impersonating an indian guide! LOL... :D....

But seriously he owns his own oil business (don't know exactly what he does in oil) but anyway...

For those of you who don't know about Mohawk park, and especially the infamous Blackhawk....

Go HERE (http://www.tulsadiscsports.org) to check out Blackhawk hole by hole....

The course was built through a very dense forest that was crisscrossed by these nice horse trails...

So Kevin designed the course to play these trails as fairways...

Needless to say it makes for some tight fairways and high scores....(not tighter than Kingwood but tight enough seeing that the holes do not spare length because they are narrow[hole 16 is like 700ft long with an average fairway with of probably 10 feet...])

But as you can probably guess...the ice storm decimated the course...

Many around here thought it was lost forever...but Jim Taylor brought his crew down to one of our Club Workdays, oh yeah not to mention the two large front end loaders.....

So we turned two days of workdays into the equivalent of 30...

So rest assured that we will be all peachy before the NT in may...

Now that is not to say that Blackhawk came out unscathed...

The course will never be the same...

So much downed timber...
So many ruined trees...

We lost one basket to a back hoe...
We lost a tree right in the middle of hole 6..(which is suppose to be a lefty/righty option hole [left and right fairways that is]) but while the supervisors weren't watching someone cut down a tree right in the middle of the fairway so now there is a nice straight shot as well... :( :mad: :p...

Hole 10 was also a very difficult hole for most due to a tree that hung out over the water...it is now...mostly...gone....

So it could be better Sue....it could also be a lot worse...

But that is not the most interesting thing going on up here...

Last night at the administrators meeting we found out that a couple of golfers found someone who had hung himself on hole #2 at Hunter Park... :eek:....

Birdie
Jan 15 2008, 12:36 PM
Umm sorry....one of the other Administrators said that there were new Blackhawk pics up on the TDSA site....I just checked my link and I don't see them.....

I will see what is up...

Sorry for the inconvenience...

Lyle O Ross
Jan 15 2008, 04:00 PM

Birdie
Jan 15 2008, 06:34 PM
Umm sorry....one of the other Administrators said that there were new Blackhawk pics up on the TDSA site....I just checked my link and I don't see them.....

I will see what is up...

Sorry for the inconvenience...

I was slightly misinformed by the guy....if you click the GTO flyer on the main page that says something about a preview.....you will find a diagram layout for each hole on both courses....

Not pictures....

I have seen pictures posted to the board before....I will have to go find them.....

Wanted to clear that up.....

seeker
Jan 15 2008, 08:02 PM
Susan, our tournament schedule was broadcast two weeks before any other TX group and it was fully blessed by the TX Coordinator. Now 3 other groups are posting tourney schedules that conflict with our dates and many others. There is no getting around conflicts if you are going to use the state borders as boundaries. If there were any western Louisiana PDGA tournies we would have the same conflicts - but there aren't.

It's no coincidence that a lot of TD's want the same dates. There are so many weekends that are bad for tournies that everyone wants the few good ones. We chose our dates to avoid all World and National Championship dates, TX State Championships, holidays, the Super Bowl and other major sporting occasions, St. Patrick's Day, religious holy days and particularly good happy hours :D...that doesn't leave much. It was not naivete or inexperience.

The fact that we are willing to move a couple of dates to the possible detriment of our tournaments just proves what genuinely great human beings we are. ;)

travisgreenway
Jan 16 2008, 11:37 AM
MM1 I think yall are doing a great service to the houston area....I will be at every one I can get to :D....Thanks

If people are getting upset about dates.....it is your own fault :p :oso get your junk together sooner and get it in :eek: then the golfers can make plans

suemac
Jan 16 2008, 05:50 PM
Susan, our tournament schedule was broadcast two weeks before any other TX group and it was fully blessed by the TX Coordinator. Now 3 other groups are posting tourney schedules that conflict with our dates and many others. There is no getting around conflicts if you are going to use the state borders as boundaries. If there were any western Louisiana PDGA tournies we would have the same conflicts - but there aren't.

It's no coincidence that a lot of TD's want the same dates. There are so many weekends that are bad for tournies that everyone wants the few good ones. We chose our dates to avoid all World and National Championship dates, TX State Championships, holidays, the Super Bowl and other major sporting occasions, St. Patrick's Day, religious holy days and particularly good happy hours :D...that doesn't leave much. It was not naivete or inexperience.

The fact that we are willing to move a couple of dates to the possible detriment of our tournaments just proves what genuinely great human beings we are. ;)

I hope this is the last time this issue is brought up, I know everyone else wants to let sleeping dogs lie.

To say that events that have been established for YEARS like Red Rock Show and others don't deserve some consideration.

Wow.

Let's all stop stirring the pot Michael. There are enough players to go around, and I am confident that your events won't keep those of us who travel in Houston when favorite events come up. I have been playing those for years, and don't plan to change anytime soon.

Peace out!

seeker
Jan 17 2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks all, for your input. :) :D :DI encourage everyone to speak up, support what you are passionate about and do what makes you happy. It's all for the betterment of disc golf and mankind.

seeker
Jan 24 2008, 09:59 AM
The website information will be changed this week

Ice Fishing at Jack Brooks Park

No Registration of any type accepted after Thursday, Feb 7th

<font color="blue"> 1. Online registration at Titledisc.com ;
2. Deliver your registration form and payment in person to Chuck, Billy, Gene or Michael;
3. Mail in registration form to Billy, see details below. This Registration form must be received by February 7th, 2008 to be entered into the tournament
</font>

Mailing registration
Billy Gilbert, 2228 Mangrove Bend Dr., League City, TX 77573 Check payable to: Birdshot

seeker
Jan 24 2008, 10:06 AM
Please read carefully!!

No Registration of any type accepted after Thursday, Feb 7th

Name: ______________________________ Address: __________________________

City: _________________________ State: ______________ Zip Code: __________

Phone #: _______________ Email ________________________________________

PDGA # : ___________ PDGA Rating : _________ Date of Birth: ______________
Pro Open ($47) Pro Other ($37) Adv ($27) Int ($22) Rec ($17) Novice ($12)
Master (40+) Grandmaster (50+) Senior Grandmaster (60+) Legend (70+)
Professional Class
_____ Male Pro Open MPO (970+) _____ Female Pro Open FPO (900+)
_____ Age Protected Division Specify _________________________________

Amateur Class
_____ Male Advanced MA1 (930-969) _____ Female Advanced FA1 (800-899)
_____ Male Intermediate MA2 (900-929) _____ Female Intermediate FA2 (750-799)
_____ Male Recreational MA3 (850-899) _____ Female Recreational FA3 (&lt;750)
_____ Male Novice MA4 (&lt;850)
_____ Age Protected Division Specify ___________________________________________
_____ Juniors Specify ___________________________________________
Entry Fees:
_____ Division Fee
______ Non PDGA member ($10)
______ Ace Pot ($2) (Ace Pot currently at $0)
_____ Total ($) Check payable to: Birdshot
(DL# and telephone number required on all checks please)

Cancellation policy - please see website for details

Tournament Schedule: Check in-7:00-8:00 Players Meeting-8:15 First Round-8:30
This Registration form must be received by February 7th, 2008 to be entered into the tournament
Entering a Birdshot disc golf tournament you agree to the PDGA rules and conditions of each event.
The TD has the right to refuse entry, or disqualify players for infractions to PDGA rules and laws.
Upon entering this event you hold no liability to the host city, TD(s), sponsors, staff or volunteers.

Signature: ________________________________________
Mailing registration?
Billy Gilbert, 2228 Mangrove Bend Dr., League City, TX 77573 Check payable to: Birdshot

Bizzle
Jan 25 2008, 01:37 PM
So......I just looked at the current reg.

One open Male, one open female, one pro grandmaster, one adv master, no advanced men, two int. men, and two rec men.

Where is everybody?
:o:D:o

suemac
Jan 25 2008, 03:18 PM
Jake asked someone to please get this information posted at the course, as MOST of the Jack Brooks guys are not internet readers. Imagine.

ching_lizard
Jan 25 2008, 03:18 PM
I'm still undecided at this point...with it being 2 weeks out still, and the somewhat strong cancellation policy, it might be scaring a few folks away.

What time did the QVCC awards end after the last tourney?

Bizzle
Jan 25 2008, 05:57 PM
I'm still undecided at this point...with it being 2 weeks out still, and the somewhat strong cancellation policy, it might be scaring a few folks away.

What time did the QVCC awards end after the last tourney?

LOL...If I remember right, it was some time the next day /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ching_lizard
Feb 05 2008, 10:13 AM
Well...call me a masochist...I'm going Ice Fishin' at Jack Brooks this weekend. :D

Looks like the GM division will make!

See ya there!

Birdie
Feb 05 2008, 10:48 AM
So, sorry that I don't know exactly who comprises this group, so Birdshot...

Why can't you handle any late sign ups?

The only reason I thought of was that you (birdshot group) must play your tournaments as well as run them?

Just wondering...

suemac
Feb 05 2008, 11:06 AM
They are new, and learning the ropes. They will figure it out, remember their first two events were too, too big for first time outings.

Patience Grasshopper, we're just glad to have someone stepping up to run some local events around here.

the_kid
Feb 05 2008, 03:38 PM
They are new, and learning the ropes. They will figure it out, remember their first two events were too, too big for first time outings.

Patience Grasshopper, we're just glad to have someone stepping up to run some local events around here.

Any birdshot guys gooing to be at any courses so I can pay? I bet it won't fill before thurs so you will have plenty of spots open.

suemac
Feb 05 2008, 03:41 PM
You'd better call to make arrangements, they are not steady cruisers of the board.

What happened to going to Dallas this weekend? Wanted to join Robbie down here at home? LOL

the_kid
Feb 05 2008, 11:59 PM
You'd better call to make arrangements, they are not steady cruisers of the board.

What happened to going to Dallas this weekend? Wanted to join Robbie down here at home? LOL

May talk robbie into going to dallas again but this will be cheaper.

suemac
Feb 06 2008, 11:18 AM
And leave time for your current project or should I say projects?

the_kid
Feb 06 2008, 08:48 PM

Pretty much! Hard to commit two days in advance to either one but I don't have to for Cedar Hill.

jakewalsdorf
Feb 07 2008, 11:24 AM
Come on Scooter... Get your old mans name on the list.

suemac
Feb 07 2008, 12:13 PM

Pretty much! Hard to commit two days in advance to either one but I don't have to for Cedar Hill.

Yeah, but you have to drive 200+ miles to play in a Maceman event. I know that Joe and Bubba are signing up today. So the open division continues to grow.

There's always Z-Boaz next weekend. :D

seeker
Feb 08 2008, 02:23 PM
This tournament is FULL!

The tournament filled with mail-ins and online registrations before the deadline so Titledisc.com had to close before the Thursday night deadline.

2 Rounds - 21 holes - ABC added

We will have no more than 4 persons per card going forward so take that into consideration when timing your tournament registrations.

The course is looking great and we expect great weather!

Thanks, Jake for all you organization, planning and course preparation!!

ching_lizard
Feb 08 2008, 03:35 PM
Looks like the "snoozers" are out of this one...

:D...maybe they'll staff for it instead. :D

the_kid
Feb 08 2008, 03:59 PM

Or just not attend anymore

tbender
Feb 08 2008, 04:38 PM

Yeah, that's logical.

suemac
Feb 08 2008, 05:41 PM

Yeah, that's logical.

Youth is wasted on the young. ;)

Matt, you should head up to Dallas. :)

the_kid
Feb 09 2008, 09:29 PM

Why to spend %150 at an event I will be lucky to get $150 at
?

Yeah, that's logical.

Youth is wasted on the young. ;)

Matt, you should head up to Dallas. :)

ching_lizard
Feb 11 2008, 11:38 AM
Looks like this worked out pretty well for everyone.

Players meeting was just about on time and tee off was only a little later than posted. Probably need to figure out a better method of issuing two-minute warning and start signals though...we observed numerous folks still out there putting after the two-minute warning and I think that the "Start" call caught a bunch of folks by surprise.

Good job guys! A HUGE improvement was seen at this event!

Many thanks for a fun tourney!

tbender
Feb 11 2008, 01:21 PM
Why to spend %150 at an event I will be lucky to get $150 at
?

Um, if you are spending $150 for an in-town, 1-day event...you're doing something wrong.

the_kid
Feb 11 2008, 03:32 PM
Why to spend $150 at an event I will be lucky to get $150 at
?

Um, if you are spending $150 for an in-town, 1-day event...you're doing something wrong.

Cedar Hill Bender

seeker
Feb 11 2008, 03:43 PM
March 15th Bass Park

The near-famous Austin Powell and Willy Nelson courses!

TWO 18 hole rounds - 72 players max

seeker
Jun 11 2008, 11:43 AM
<font color="red"> Get on line and sign up today!! Re: The Awesome Agnes Moffit June 14 !!!!! </font>
Two 18-hole rounds of PDGA sanctioned delight!! :D :cool::) :D:D:p :D :cool::) :D

Saturday only

Checkout houstonbirdshot.com for details

The rest of the 08 schedule

June 14 The Awesome Agnes Moffitt
July 12 Bringa yo Floata to Mozola
December 13 The 2008 Championship Series Finale -Tom Bass Park

seeker
Jun 11 2008, 11:55 AM

ching_lizard
Jun 13 2008, 09:56 PM
Looks like it's gonna be a packed house tomorrow! :D

See ya in the morning!

the_kid
Jun 13 2008, 10:04 PM
And here I thought Lago was the only event this weekend.. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

seeker
Jun 16 2008, 11:34 AM
Great shooting, Dixon! <font color="red"> -12 </font> from the regs and <font color="red">-8 </font> from the longs? SHHHHHHHMOKIN!

<font color="blue"> Another notable was MPM Jim Hudson's bogey free tournament <font color="red"> -10</font> from the regs and <font color="red"> way in the red </font> from the longs </font>

I'm sure Chuck will post them today or tomorrow.

Another full tournament for HoustonBirdshot.com!! We had to turn away walk ups. Remember, all registrations must be recieved in hand, in the mail or at titledisc.com by Thursday night! Many people told me that they waited until the last minute and the tournament filled on them before they got it done. Register now for the July 14, MOZOLA bayou adventure!!! !

<font color="blue">July 12 Bringa yo Floata to Mozola </font>
December 13 The 2008 Championship Series Finale -Tom Bass Park <font color="blue"> </font>

seeker
Jun 16 2008, 11:39 AM
Yes, MOZOLA is JULY 12 !!!!

jakewalsdorf
Jun 16 2008, 12:21 PM
How many players?

jakewalsdorf
Jun 16 2008, 12:53 PM
72 players... Great turnout in the Am. ranks...

Nice to see the ladys shooting so well. Must be all the weekend doubles improving their skills.

the_kid
Jun 16 2008, 01:16 PM
I wonder what a -16 is rated at Moffitt?

ching_lizard
Jun 16 2008, 03:46 PM
It looks like the scores might've been mistyped or something...

Lance Steck shot: 49 in Round 1 and 54 in Round 2. Results are showing his score as a pair of 49's.

jakewalsdorf
Jun 17 2008, 10:25 AM

-16 at Moffit = course redesign... :D

suemac
Jun 17 2008, 11:59 AM
Those am ladies out shot lots of guys, good going girls!

ThePatrick
Jun 17 2008, 01:26 PM
Tiff had one of the best rounds she's ever had. Well two of the best rounds.

suemac
Jun 17 2008, 02:56 PM
All those afternoon rounds over the past few weeks really paid off. Congrats to Tiff.

the_kid
Jun 17 2008, 03:16 PM

-16 at Moffit = course redesign... :D

Should have been redesigned long ago then. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Heck Brian Chancey shot -15 with one disc. :o

rcazares
Jun 17 2008, 07:47 PM
Tiff had one of the best rounds she's ever had. Well two of the best rounds.

Tiffany played great! She has so much power in her throws. Now that her putting and accuracy are improving (to go along with her power), she is a real force to be reckoned with in the women's division. So congratulations Tiffany on your win. I am sure there will be many more wins to come.

Thanks........Rick

rcazares
Jun 17 2008, 07:56 PM
I also want to congratulate SuperGirl (Nicole) on her play during the first round of the Moffit tournament. Her 3 under par 51 was her first under par round ever. Also her round rating of 906 (unofficial) was the 1st time she has thrown a round rated above 900. I am very proud of her.

Thanks..........Rick

the_kid
Jun 17 2008, 09:09 PM
Anyone know why there were so many 1-2 person divisions allowed? I could have sworn you are supposed to have 4 with exceptions given pretty much only for women.

Also I don't think I have seen so many divisions for a tournament besides worlds. :D

suemac
Jun 19 2008, 12:54 PM
One and two person division that signed up by Thursday. :eek: :D :eek:

I saw the Parks Dept guys cleaning up that cleared area East of the park yesterday afternoon........has anyone heard anything about redesign efforts?

futurecollisions
Jun 22 2008, 12:08 PM
not gonna be alot of time to install 9 more baskets at mozola since the whole place is already fenced off for the 4th of July setup....

suemac
Jun 23 2008, 04:09 PM
Too bad all those boxes were moved and these rating won't count in the official ratings races. It was disappointing to hear that from those that played the event.

Suggestion, unless there is a pond of water in the middle of the tee boxes.............leave them alone or move them straight back (at least at Moffitt), as moving some of those out to the left made for a MUCH easier than normal round.

the_kid
Jun 23 2008, 05:17 PM
Too bad all those boxes were moved and these rating won't count in the official ratings races. It was disappointing to hear that from those that played the event.

Suggestion, unless there is a pond of water in the middle of the tee boxes.............leave them alone or move them straight back (at least at Moffitt), as moving some of those out to the left made for a MUCH easier than normal round.

What are you talking about Sue? The event took place after the deadline. Moved boxes or not if everyone played the course it will be rated.

Also maybe they should ask some people practicing to put out the boxes who aren't in AM 4.

suemac
Jun 25 2008, 12:04 PM
Sorry I guess I just don't understand how things work with ratings. Never the less, making an easy course even easier seemed sad and disappointing.

Just have a hard time understanding the motivation of these guys. Are they wanting to have tournaments or casual get togethers?

seeker
Jun 25 2008, 12:53 PM
First of all, the existing regular boxes are pathetic and a safety hazard. Second, if you analyze the ratings statistically, most players below their ratings. The only group to really play above their ability ;) was the top two cards in the advanced group. They were clearly taking steriod supplied by Tiffany. : :) :)

the_kid
Jun 25 2008, 01:01 PM
First of all, the existing regular boxes are pathetic and a safety hazard. Second, if you analyze the ratings statistically, most players below their ratings. The only group to really play above their ability ;) was the top two cards in the advanced group. They were clearly taking steriod supplied by Tiffany. : :) :)

No they were just women playing a more women friendly layout.

Sue it does make it easier to shoot under or whatever but it actually makes it harder to get a 1000 rated round since the scale would slide up moving 1000 from -10 or 11 to -13.

the_kid
Jun 25 2008, 01:03 PM

The boxes suck but at least make good temp boxes! I remember the Macgregor ones made the long tees just as easy as the shorts.

seeker
Jun 25 2008, 01:06 PM
If the Thursday league folks would take a couple of minutes to rake the boxes during league play, Moffit would be great

the_kid
Jun 25 2008, 01:23 PM
If the Thursday league folks would take a couple of minutes to rake the boxes during league play, Moffit would be great

I don't know about that Stretch Armstrong.

tbender
Jun 25 2008, 05:40 PM
If the Thursday league folks would take a couple C4 bricks to blow up the boxes during league play, Moffit would be great

Fixed.

suemac
Jun 27 2008, 04:42 PM

It is apparent that you guys never play anywhere but around town, as those boxes aren't that bad. Have played many b-tiers with worse boxes than Moffitt. I guess I don't understand why a box would be moved left instead of back behind exsisting box, and ruin the challenge of the hole.

As for your league comment.............why would they do anything you guys when no effort was made to encourage them to play the event. NOT EVERYONE HAS INTERNET ACCESS, SOUNDS LIKE A BIT OF SELECTIVITY, IF ONE DOESN'T HAVE COMPUTER ACCESS, THEY JUST DON'T HAVE A WAY TO SIGN UP.

Continue to be baffled as to why you can't take day of sign ups when you aren't full. TD's have been operating that way for years without any delays or challenges in running a smooth event.

the_kid
Jun 27 2008, 05:15 PM

It is apparent that you guys never play anywhere but around town, as those boxes aren't that bad. Have played many b-tiers with worse boxes than Moffitt. I guess I don't understand why a box would be moved left instead of back behind exsisting box, and ruin the challenge of the hole.

As for your league comment.............why would they do anything you guys when no effort was made to encourage them to play the event. NOT EVERYONE HAS INTERNET ACCESS, SOUNDS LIKE A BIT OF SELECTIVITY, IF ONE DOESN'T HAVE COMPUTER ACCESS, THEY JUST DON'T HAVE A WAY TO SIGN UP.

Continue to be baffled as to why you can't take day of sign ups when you aren't full. TD's have been operating that way for years without any delays or challenges in running a smooth event.

They claim to promote the game for newer players which they do for an event or two but in doing so they push all the players who play many events away because of how they are ran.

ERicJ
Jun 27 2008, 05:26 PM
It is apparent that you guys never play anywhere but around town, as those boxes aren't that bad. Have played many b-tiers with worse boxes than Moffitt.

Moffitt's boxes are bad. Just because you've played worse doesn't mean Moffitt's still aren't bad.

I guess I don't understand why a box would be moved left instead of back behind exsisting box, and ruin the challenge of the hole.

Now that I agree with. Although Moffitt's boxes are bad, they're still playable. Not really sure why they were flagged for the tourney.

Come on. Everyone at least knows someone with internet access. Have a friend print an entry form and then mail it in. Everyone in the City of Houston has internet access at a Public Library (http://www.houstonlibrary.org/about/internetpolicy.html). Heck, some of the Schlotzskys (http://www.schlotzskys.com/) I've been inside have free Internet available.

I'm pretty sure that with the exception of Bass all the other Birdshot events have filled. The Birdshot guys are doing this work on their own time, it's their show. We can make suggestions for improvements but in the end it's their call. I for one am greatful to have a good sized, in-town, tournament to play every month.

Keep up the good work guys.

the_kid
Jun 27 2008, 07:51 PM
Moffitt didn't fill, Macgregor didn't fill, Conroe didn't fill.................

the_kid
Jun 27 2008, 07:52 PM
Also does anyone see the trend of less people playing as it goes on?

ching_lizard
Jun 28 2008, 08:37 AM
Matt - I know it might be hard to believe, but perhaps they aren't shooting for "full" tourneys...maybe they are just holding tourneys so that there are some tourneys to play in around here. A pre-registration requirement makes their job easier and allows them to have payout calculated before the opening "two-minute warning."

I know I've missed a couple of events because I didn't make up my mind about playing until too late. My bad - not theirs.

the_kid
Jun 28 2008, 02:18 PM
Matt - I know it might be hard to believe, but perhaps they aren't shooting for "full" tourneys...maybe they are just holding tourneys so that there are some tourneys to play in around here. A pre-registration requirement makes their job easier and allows them to have payout calculated before the opening "two-minute warning."

I know I've missed a couple of events because I didn't make up my mind about playing until too late. My bad - not theirs.

They never have the payout done and we still have to wait around for two hours after the round to get our prizes. I have told them I would volunteer to take day of sign ups at any event I play of theirs.

Just sad when they can't even get the players who play 25 events a year to play more than one or two of theirs. The unwillingness to change anything also turns some people off.

Mandatory signup by Wednesday for a C-tier is just somewhat inconceivable especially when many players wait to see what the weather will be.

I'll ask my friend from CA how he liked the Moffitt event compared to the SoCal events. Morley's monthy pulls 90+ players every time.

atxdiscgolfer
Jun 28 2008, 02:41 PM
Morley's monthy pulls 90+ players every time.

[/QUOTE]

very true, and if you dont arrive at the course by 7:30 AM then you are not getting in. Looks like you missed out on Crowley and Kyle, huh?

the_kid
Jun 28 2008, 02:58 PM
Morley's monthy pulls 90+ players every time.

very true, and if you dont arrive at the course by 7:30 AM then you are not getting in. Looks like you missed out on Crowley and Kyle, huh?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah mainly because there are only 6 people from Houston that travel and the ones I hang with weren't playing.

ching_lizard
Jun 29 2008, 02:47 AM
I'll ask my friend from CA how he liked the Moffitt event compared to the SoCal events. Morley's monthy pulls 90+ players every time.

Hey! Was that Scot??? I had a blast playing with him at Moffitt! I really liked him a bunch. He mentioned that he was pretty tight with Rhett - asked Scot to say "Hi" to Mr. SoCal for me! :D

ERicJ
Jun 29 2008, 08:21 AM

Matt, check your facts.

Birdshot's definition of "filling" is four players per card per hole. So 72 players on 18 holes.

78 players at Moffitt (http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=7776).
83 players at McDade (Conroe) (http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=7812).
78 players at MacGregor (http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=7736).

MacGregor (21 holes) was only six players shy of filling which isn't bad considering there were zero women players as they were all at TX Women's in Round Rock that weekend.

ERicJ
Jun 29 2008, 08:28 AM
Mandatory signup by Wednesday for a C-tier is just somewhat inconceivable especially when many players wait to see what the weather will be.

Facts Matt..........
"Registration for all Birdshot PDGA tournaments close on the Thursday before the tournament. Titledisc closes Thursday morning, mail in must be in the Thursday deliver, or pay in person by 9 pm Thursday night to a staff member." --http://www.houstonbirdshot.com/

the_kid
Jun 29 2008, 02:34 PM

Facts Matt..........
"Registration for all Birdshot PDGA tournaments close on the
Thursday before the tournament. Titledisc closes Thursday morning, mail in must be in the Thursday deliver, or pay in person by 9 pm Thursday night to a staff member." --http://www.houstonbirdshot.com/

Ok so what are you trying to Prove? You have to sign up by wednesday night unless you plan on doing it in the early morning. Oh or you could go to the course to meet them and they never show! Well I guess you could always drive all the way to their house to pay them even though they never have the payouts ready or cards for that matter.

Also if you call them to let them know you want in and will bring the $40 early saturday they somehow can't do that because for some reason they can't do the payouts by just entering another player and another $40 to the pot and getting the cash later.

Oh BTW they won't even let you in if your division only has 2 players which makes no sense to me but after looking at Moffitt it looks like they want everyone to be in a division by themselves.

the_kid
Jun 29 2008, 02:36 PM

Matt, check your facts.

Birdshot's definition of "filling" is four players per card per hole. So 72 players on 18 holes.

78 players at Moffitt (http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=7776).
83 players at McDade (Conroe) (http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=7812).
78 players at MacGregor (http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=7736).

MacGregor (21 holes) was only six players shy of filling which isn't bad considering there were zero women players as they were all at TX Women's in Round Rock that weekend.

If they fill at 72 why are they letting 78 78 and 83 play? Sorry but the way they run tournaments doesn't sit well in the eyes of the actual tournament players in the area who have to choose between 2-3 events a week.

Also it really isn't worth it to play with the same 4 people for a net loss on the day regardless of where you finish.

ERicJ
Jun 29 2008, 06:29 PM
If they fill at 72 why are they letting 78 78 and 83 play? Sorry but the way they run tournaments doesn't sit well in the eyes of the actual tournament players in the area who have to choose between 2-3 events a week.

Based on recent history most players appear prefer the convenience of online entry. Birdshot typically caps the online entries at 62 allowing for ~10 mail-in entries. If they happen to get more than 10 mail-ins before the deadline they're not going to turn them away and thus some cards will have five.

If you have 2-3 events per week (thus 8-13 per month) from which to choose I don't understand why you're using your time to complain about Birdshot's one monthly event.

the_kid
Jun 29 2008, 08:46 PM
Of course people like online entry but they don't like forced online entry for what amounts to a glorified mini.

atxdiscgolfer
Jun 29 2008, 10:38 PM
very true

seeker
Jul 01 2008, 08:49 AM
Instead of [censored], why don't you armchair experts show us how a world class event is run in the Houston area?

Step up or shut the hell up!

ching_lizard
Jul 01 2008, 10:39 AM
Instead of [censored], why don't you armchair experts show us how a world class event is run in the Houston area?

Hey now Mike!!! Does running most Texas States since 2001 count??? :D

Oh...maybe you weren't typing to me. :D

seeker
Jul 01 2008, 11:30 AM

Right on, Larry! Larry "ching_lizard" has never been anything but supportive of our efforts. And actually, your comments were right on.

I personally don't care if the tournaments fill and I want to make it easy as possible for the people that actually put in all the work.

Anyone that wants to step up and run events in this area is more than welcome......all I hear is crickets....

atxdiscgolfer
Jul 01 2008, 12:19 PM

ask Neil,he ran a world class event in Houston this year.

the_kid
Jul 01 2008, 01:03 PM

I'm pretty sure you have been given a lot of advice since starting these events and it seems like you only take what you want and disregard everything else.

These events are for newbies and most newbies don't even know what Titledisc is.

Sitting around for two hours to get $40 when you have to be somewhere 2 hours away in an hour also sucks but you wouldn't know about that would you Mike because you have your own curfew.

the_kid
Jul 01 2008, 01:06 PM
One word of advice for running a successful event is to cater to the players and if you do that they will be very happy.

atxdiscgolfer
Jul 01 2008, 01:24 PM
a good TD will analyze constructive criticism and apply it to his event and not get mad or take it personal, or they can be like another TX TD (not mentioning names) and lose all of their player base. The only reason why I care is because I am trying to decide between the Mozola event or the Dripping Springs event; I am leaning towards Moffitt since I have already played 3 events at TPCC this year.

seeker
Jul 01 2008, 02:04 PM
Apparently all the good TDs got tired of putting up with all the bs, retired, went broke or moved away.

Ironically, the "constructive criticism" is coming from people who did not attend and don't offer their services but still feel free to share their opinions.

Anyone is free to offer their assistance at anytime before or during an event....what's that? ..... all I hear is crickets....

the_kid
Jul 01 2008, 02:30 PM
Apparently all the good TDs got tired of putting up with all the bs, retired, went broke or moved away.

Ironically, the "constructive criticism" is coming from people who did not attend and don't offer their services but still feel free to share their opinions.

Anyone is free to offer their assistance at anytime before or during an event....what's that? ..... all I hear is crickets....

In every post you just solidify the fact that you know nothing about tournaments or TDs outside of Houston. He wasn't talking about good TDs losing their base because they tend to grow a larger one he was talking about the TDs that ran events that didn't seem player friendly and had bad payout so everyone stopped playing.

the_kid
Jul 01 2008, 02:32 PM

Like I posted earlier I will cover day of sign ups at any one of your events I attend. Also maybe you guys could learn the correct way to spread cards on the course and not have the MPO card starting on hole 8 on the other side of the park.

jakewalsdorf
Jul 02 2008, 12:40 PM

Like I posted earlier I will cover day of sign ups at any one of your events I attend. Also maybe you guys could learn the correct way to spread cards on the course and not have the MPO card starting on hole 8 on the other side of the park.

Got my survey in... You got yours Scoot? Appearently Birdshot is taking your advice and asking players for input.

the_kid
Jul 02 2008, 01:10 PM

Got my survey in... You got yours Scoot? Appearently Birdshot is taking your advice and asking players for input.

Yeah I took it and only marked like 5 courses they should play. :)

jakewalsdorf
Jul 02 2008, 01:19 PM

Yeah I took it and only marked like 5 courses they should play. :)

That too, but hopefully you noted all the other great suggestions that have come up. Like figuring out how to end the awards ceremony at a reasonable hour. Ok, just making sure you got a copy of the survey.

See ya in a few days.

suemac
Jul 08 2008, 02:44 PM
Think of this thing as..........."a beginner's series" :cool:

God knows we all didn't start out at the top. :eek:

(except the "always perfect &amp; right" Mr. Scooter Hall) :D

the_kid
Jul 08 2008, 03:27 PM
Think of this thing as..........."a beginner's series" :cool:

God knows we all didn't start out at the top. :eek:

(except the "always perfect &amp; right" Mr. Scooter Hall) :D

Actually I took dead last in my 1st league. :p

dryhistory
Aug 08 2008, 01:17 PM
is anyone playing kingwood, is it worth it?

ERicJ
Aug 08 2008, 02:23 PM
Online registrations:
http://titledisc.com/prereg.php?eventid=355
http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=8193

dryhistory
Aug 08 2008, 04:15 PM
Online registrations:
http://titledisc.com/prereg.php?eventid=355
http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=8193

yeah, there are like 4 in MA1, are they taking sign ups early in the morning?

ERicJ
Aug 08 2008, 04:23 PM
Current Birdshot policy is no day-of sign ups.

the_kid
Aug 08 2008, 11:53 PM
Current Birdshot policy is no day-of sign ups.

Current?

Maybe it will change in the future and I will be glad to take sign ups if they need someone to do so.

seeker
Aug 11 2008, 02:41 PM
Nice play for Novice Marc Couvillon 58 rated 941 and 54 rated 977 +4 total 112 !!

the_kid
Aug 13 2008, 06:17 PM
So is a 1000 rated round impossible on this course? Dixon said the best in a group he played with was +1 and he is rated 1012. Basically 51 would be 1000 but tough to do on that FLUKE FEST.