junnila
Dec 06 2007, 12:40 PM
Does your state require the USDGC spot go to a member of your state's club or governing body?

johnbiscoe
Dec 06 2007, 01:27 PM
no. that makes no sense.

Jeff_LaG
Dec 06 2007, 03:22 PM
If the USDGC spot in your state is awarded based on the Open division winner of a designated tournament, whether or not that winning golfer is a member of your state's club or governing body should be irrelevant. If a guy wins the Open division at the tournament, he wins the USDGC spot.

junnila
Dec 06 2007, 03:35 PM
If the USDGC spot in your state is awarded based on the Open division winner of a designated tournament, whether or not that winning golfer is a member of your state's club or governing body should be irrelevant. If a guy wins the Open division at the tournament, he wins the USDGC spot.

Thanks for the replies. In MN we award the spot at our State Championships to the best overall score (any division, must live in MN). We are thinking about a side bet deal this year where you would have to pay 5 bucks extra for a chance at the spot. This money would be used to offset the entry fee for the recipient. Thoughts?

johnbiscoe
Dec 06 2007, 03:39 PM
in virginia i have held a pair of events the same weekend with anyone wishing to qualify paying an extra $10 with the "side bet" cash going towards the entry fee- works well and helps insure that the player winning the spot actually intends to go. i too limit it to state residents.

kUrTp
Dec 07 2007, 08:50 AM
In PA we did a club sponsorship program where each PA club could preregister a certain amount of players for a small donation. The money raised was used to pay the entry fees to the top finishers of Open, Advanced, and Womens divisions to thier respective national tournament. The program was a huge success. Nick Schneider went to the USDGC, John Genter went to USADGC and, Alanna Houck went to the USWDGC. All entry fees were paid for by the club sponsorship program.

stack
Dec 07 2007, 10:54 AM
in NC it goes to the winner of a season long points series... and it doesnt have to be someone from NC

http://www.ncdiscgolf.com/

skaZZirf
Dec 11 2007, 12:35 PM
In CT, every person(state only) who wanted a chance at the spot, had to put in an extra 25$...Worked out great.

chappyfade
Dec 12 2007, 02:10 PM

Actually, it would still be up to the individual SC. The USDGC berth must be associated with a tournament or series (unless that requirement is waived by Harold), but, for example, if Nebraska SC Anita Jackson wishes that Nebraska spot to go to the highest finishing Nebraskan at the Star City Shootout, she can choose to do that. She wouldn't have to pick a person from Iowa if he won the open division in the Shootout, she could pick the best-finishing Nebraska resident, even if he/she finished 7th in the open division. (And Tank, I'm NOT saying you're going to finish 7th in Lincoln this year...just making a fictitious example.) :)

Chap

Jeff_LaG
Dec 12 2007, 04:03 PM
It was implied that the SC announced beforehand whether the USDGC spot goes to the Open division winner (from any state) or the highest finisher from the state.

That's not even the topic being discussed here. The reason the thread was started was to ask whether the person awarded the USDGC spot need be a member of your state's club or governing body. My answer was that club or governing body affiliation should be irrelevant.

magilla
Dec 13 2007, 11:17 AM
It was implied that the SC announced beforehand whether the USDGC spot goes to the Open division winner (from any state) or the highest finisher from the state.

That's not even the topic being discussed here. The reason the thread was started was to ask whether the person awarded the USDGC spot need be a member of your state's club or governing body. My answer was that club or governing body affiliation should be irrelevant.

I agree completely...BUT the state spot should ONLY be able to go from someone who is from that state.

I would really have issue with a "state spot" going to someone from outside that state. :p
;)

Jeff_LaG
Dec 13 2007, 12:34 PM
BUT the state spot should ONLY be able to go from someone who is from that state.

I would really have issue with a "state spot" going to someone from outside that state. :p ;)

I couldn't agree more, and wouldn't have it any other way in Pennsylvania, but that's a decision that each individual state coordinator is free to make.

johnbiscoe
Dec 13 2007, 01:23 PM
BUT the state spot should ONLY be able to go from someone who is from that state.

I would really have issue with a "state spot" going to someone from outside that state. :p ;)

I couldn't agree more, and wouldn't have it any other way in Pennsylvania, but that's a decision that each individual state coordinator is free to make.

ditto.

MTL21676
Dec 13 2007, 05:09 PM
The state rep from South Carolina has been a north carolinian before.

However, that never made much sense to me.

gnduke
Dec 16 2007, 03:18 AM
I'm curious, which states have State clubs or governing bodies ?

ck34
Dec 16 2007, 11:25 AM
Consider the initial thread post from a Minnesota Frisbee Association Board member for one. That's considered the oldest statewide disc association. The Wisconsin Tour is not a membership org but pretty much oversees competition in the state. There are listings for the Oregon Disc Golf Association, Alaska Disc Golf Association, Arizona Disc Golf, Nebraska Disc Golf and Maine Disc Golf that appear to oversee their state competition scene.

skaZZirf
Dec 16 2007, 02:41 PM
I just wish they would give out as many monday Q spots as there are spots open in the event.

michaeljo
Dec 16 2007, 02:56 PM
The state rep from South Carolina has been a north carolinian before.

However, that never made much sense to me.

yea i know i got into my first USDGC with that South Carolina spot :D

MTL21676
Dec 16 2007, 06:39 PM
I'm curious, which states have State clubs or governing bodies ?

we have a board of people that run our state series and make decisions. they work directly with the state cordinantor.

doot
Dec 16 2007, 07:16 PM
I just wish they would give out as many monday Q spots as there are spots open in the event.

Agreed, and professionals who have previously qualified but failed to register should NOT be able to re-earn their way into the competition via these spots. You snooze you lose.

stack
Dec 16 2007, 08:51 PM

Agreed, and professionals who have previously qualified but failed to register should NOT be able to re-earn their way into the competition via these spots. You snooze you lose.

agreed and agreed

and i've heard that they will change the latter to not allow people to take spots if they had already qualified and failed to pay or forgot to pay or whatever the reason. As far as I know thats only for the Monday qualifier... dont know if a TD can refuse to give a spot to someone who might've qualified somewhere else and turned it down... i personally think the TD should be allowed to take that spot away but not sure if the USDGC has an official stance on that.

MTL21676
Dec 16 2007, 09:31 PM
i personally think the TD should be allowed to take that spot away

I could not disagree more!!

Way too many what ifs with that.

edit : misread post

stack
Dec 16 2007, 09:52 PM
like? look... if you've already qualified you've already qualified... if you didnt pay your entry, or forgot then you didnt register... but you already qualified.

thats the point... all those who have already 'qualified' are supposed to not count towards the spot in tournies. Instead people treat it as all those who have already 'registered'. Theres a pretty big difference.

if you want to have it the other way then dont say that those who have already qualified will be excluded.

MTL21676
Dec 16 2007, 10:59 PM
nevermind, i misread ur post.

gnduke
Dec 17 2007, 12:00 AM
TDs don't really have a choice in the matter. the second paragraph of the qualifying document for the USDGC covers it pretty well.

Any player finishing in the top five (5) who has qualified at an earlier event, or who has received an exemption or special invitation, will be excluded. Players shooting the next lowest score will become eligible.

If they close the Monday qualifier loophole, then you get one shot to sign up if you qualify. Miss it, and you're done.

Unless you manage a State Rep spot.
Maybe a sponsors exemption, I'd bet those are pretty expensive now.

ck34
Dec 17 2007, 12:18 AM
TD a qualifying event instead of play in it.

stack
Dec 17 2007, 12:41 AM
TDs don't really have a choice in the matter. the second paragraph of the qualifying document for the USDGC covers it pretty well.

Any player finishing in the top five (5) who has qualified at an earlier event, or who has received an exemption or special invitation, will be excluded. Players shooting the next lowest score will become eligible.

If they close the Monday qualifier loophole, then you get one shot to sign up if you qualify. Miss it, and you're done.

Unless you manage a State Rep spot.
Maybe a sponsors exemption, I'd bet those are pretty expensive now.

awesome... thanks for finding that!

and I hope more people (TDs especially) realize that if someone is qualified it shouldnt be open to interpretation... qualified means qualified... not registered.

i also think it'd be great if they did what one of the frizzies mentioned and opened the Monday spots to however many spots there are left (sometimes 5 maybe... sometimes 8-10?) Not sjur if it was bard who said that ;)

stack
Dec 18 2007, 10:57 AM
FYI... i found out that if you miss your deadline you still will be allowed to try @ the Monday qualifier (and of course the state, national or sponsor spot)

chappyfade
Dec 18 2007, 10:43 PM

What makes you think that they don't?

junnila
Dec 19 2007, 02:26 AM

What makes you think that they don't?

They didn't this past year.

gnduke
Dec 19 2007, 03:26 AM
FYI... i found out that if you miss your deadline you still will be allowed to try @ the Monday qualifier (and of course the state, national or sponsor spot)

Where did you hear that from ?

cevalkyrie
Dec 19 2007, 12:39 PM
I've read this entire thread.

The State & National Representative spot can be awarded to any player. It may be awarded in any fashion as well. There is no right and wrong way to do it. Read the qualification standards at www.usdgc.com (http://www.usdgc.com) .

I've seen State Coordinators hand pick the person they want the spot to go to.

I've seen State Coordinators use the spot for themselves.

I've seen competitions for this spot. Some awarding the position to only players that live in the state, others not.

I've seen state coordinators not use the spot at all.

I've considered listing the spot on EBAY and using the money to pay for the work I do as State Coordinator. :DJK but it could be a nice fundraiser for a club or event.

Last year I paid the entry prior to the deadline so the spot is secured. I'll do the same this year. Here is how I awarded it.
http://discontinuum.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=3051.0

stack
Dec 19 2007, 03:01 PM

Where did you hear that from ?

a few paragraphs lower from where you found the info you posted (Section I, 5th paragraph)

"Any player missing their deadline for entry automatically forfeits eligibility and may not re-qualify at Regional or Global Qualifying events. Players missing a registration deadline will remain eligible for Monday Qualifying, special invitation, or can be chosen as a State or National Representative."
USDGC qualifier document (http://www.zonedriven.com/files/2008_USDGC_Qualifying.pdf)

evandmckee
Dec 21 2007, 07:36 PM
here's the way Arkansas did it last year, this year's a little different with $1 per player in each series event going to the winner, which they muct attend the USDGC with or pass it down, now if we can just get our schedule lined out for more events than last year

paid Kelly Ganzel over $900 to attend the USDGC in a very interesting and different format (Ganzel's now the current SC)

http://www.wafda.org/images/graphics/USDGC-AR06.gif

ActiveCurrent
Mar 06 2008, 11:16 PM
New site was launched this morning: www.usdgc.com (http://www.usdgc.com)

stack
Mar 06 2008, 11:50 PM
lookin' good Kevin! Dont like the counter though... it makes you realize how far away it still is! ;)

the_kid
Mar 31 2008, 06:08 AM
It would be nice to have a regoinal qualifier in TX. I mean we were once our own region yet the closest event is $300 in gas away.

magilla
Mar 31 2008, 11:48 AM
It would be nice to have a regoinal qualifier in TX. I mean we were once our own region yet the closest event is $300 in gas away.

Maybe you need a HIGHER QUALITY event........... :eek:

the_kid
Mar 31 2008, 06:16 PM
Like TX states with $5000 or more in added cash? How about one of the other three or four A-tiers?

Pogis
Mar 31 2008, 09:50 PM
I would have to back you up on this one Matt. For a state with so many good golfers, and so many good events, it would be nice to have a qualifer close by.......

cgkdisc
Mar 31 2008, 09:59 PM
Does the USDGC select qualifiers without the event TD even asking to be one or does the event TD have to ask to be a qualifier and then they select? I would think the reason TX doesn't have one would perhaps be no TD asking?

tbender
Apr 01 2008, 12:51 AM
We asked. No dice.

Pogis
Apr 01 2008, 01:21 AM
We asked. No dice.

Oh I am not saying it is anyones fault. Just that it would be nice to have one in the state. But this doesnt make Tx states any less of a great tourney!

the_kid
Apr 01 2008, 02:17 AM
The midwest has 5-6 events that are qualifiers within an area the size of TX yet we have none. Schweet!

maverick
Apr 01 2008, 01:16 PM
We asked. No dice.

Oh I am not saying it is anyones fault. Just that it would be nice to have one in the state. But this doesnt make Tx states any less of a great tourney!

It most definitely is somebody's fault. I don't know how/ who decides where qualifiers should be but there was a mistake made IMO. The Texas event has always been early on in the season which usually makes qualifying harder but at least we had a shot. I guess we could drive the 450 miles to Tulsa or even further to Little Rock or KC :confused:

cgkdisc
Apr 01 2008, 01:35 PM
It probably would make sense just from a geography standpoint that Texas have a qualifier. On the other hand, only 16 states out of 50 have one so Texas shouldn't necessarily have one every year.

the_kid
Apr 01 2008, 01:43 PM
It probably would make sense just from a geography standpoint that Texas have a qualifier. On the other hand, only 16 states out of 50 have one so Texas shouldn't necessarily have one every year.

Yeah and TX probably had more players and events than all but one or two of them. So why are there so many midwest events with tournaments yet no southern events? Regional qualifiers my rear end. So now we can just try to get a state rep spot unless we travel 500 miles.

magilla
Apr 01 2008, 01:58 PM

Yeah and TX probably had more players and events than all but one or two of them. So why are there so many midwest events with tournaments yet no southern events? Regional qualifiers my rear end. So now we can just try to get a state rep spot unless we travel 500 miles.

Maybe more TOTAL players...

But that OPEN field is pretty darn SMALL. :p

MAYBE, whoever makes those decisions, doesnt think that a field smaller than 30 players needs to be considered for use as a Qualifier :p

:confused:

cgkdisc
Apr 01 2008, 01:58 PM
I believe Harold and Jonathon make the decisions on qualifiers, not the PDGA. Questions should be directed there.

maverick
Apr 01 2008, 02:13 PM

MAYBE, whoever makes those decisions, doesnt think that a field smaller than 30 players needs to be considered for use as a Qualifier :p

True, 3 years ago when we had the Waco Charity Open as an NT and a qualifier and had a seperate Am weekend the Open field had over 50 players.

the_kid
Apr 01 2008, 07:53 PM

Maybe more TOTAL players...

Small partially because there are no spots. Notice that we have one of our top guys going to ATL instead this weekend. If there were some spots we would probably have a larger turnout like previous years.

cgflesner
Apr 23 2008, 05:28 PM
Why not make the VPO a qualifier?

It is 4 hours closer to the rest of the country and we usually have a good open field. I think the problem with states is it is too darn far from everybody else.

tbender
Apr 23 2008, 06:58 PM
VPO is post USDGC.

They only use events in the same calendar year.

Waco always worked the best IMO, but it's no longer an A-tier. Middle of the season, middle of the state.

frisbeeguy
May 06 2008, 09:16 AM
So guys...how is the decision going to be made this year?

gnduke
May 07 2008, 01:29 AM
I assume you are talking about Texas.

It will be the same as the last few years.

Total performance at all B-Tiers and above through LOSO.

First eliminate all non-Texans from the results.

First place gets 30 points at an A-Tier, 20 Points at a B-Tier.

Each place after that gets one point less.

All players get at least one point.

Most points at the end wins.

All players that manage to qualify throughout the year are eliminated from the running.
If they fail to register when they have the chance, they can not fall back to the state rep spot.

frisbeeguy
May 07 2008, 02:45 PM
Super!
Thanks Gary, this sounds like a great way to have the state spot filled with a true competitive Texas touring player.
Did the points race begin after last years USDGC or in the calendar year 2008? (not that I'm in the race, just curious)

stack
May 08 2008, 04:37 PM
You do it w/ a good ol' fashion TEXAS TOUGHMAN competition!

May 09 2008, 05:39 PM
You do it w/ a good ol' fashion TEXAS TOUGHMAN competition!

Prairie oyster eatin' contest!!!!
( for those of you not familiar with prairie oysters , google it and find out for yourself. :0) )

gnduke
May 10 2008, 08:45 AM
It started from the cutoff of last year.

The pick has to be made before August. The last event to be included is LOSO. The first event for 2008 was the Play It Again Sports Open in Crowley last August.

I haven't updated the page for this year yet so you can see how it happened last year on the lsdga site.

go to lsdga.com, news, click on the Texas State rep for the USDGC link.