TooNA
Dec 05 2007, 12:58 PM
I would like some info on handicapping at my local park. Could someone tell me how to handicap? I hear it levels the playing field for all.

ck34
Dec 05 2007, 01:09 PM
Visit www.discgolfunited.com (http://www.discgolfunited.com) They use the same calc process fro handicaps as PDGA ratings.

evandmckee
Dec 05 2007, 05:26 PM
Chuck, I've been using the article/instructions you wrote here (http://www.discgolf.com/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,1143/Itemid,1/).

I haven't had any problem's with the 80.4% of the average to par and find it amazing how close it brings scores after handicapping, often the winners are within decimals of a throw with each other.

Do you think that discgolfunited.com is a better system?

ck34
Dec 05 2007, 05:49 PM
I'm glad you're still using that system and it's working for you. I didn't know there was a download link online still. Otherwise I would have given that to TooNA.

The benefits of the Disc Golf United Service is the ability for players to track their own handicaps beyond leagues on all kinds of courses with a variety of SSA values. In addition, their handicap can be converted to a reasonable PDGA rating although the way each is done is somewhat different. The system you have been using works well as long as the course is essentially the same each week without tee or pin changes. But those handicaps are not necessarily viable on other courses although your players' skill levels would still be in the order of your handicaps.

Jroc
Dec 05 2007, 05:52 PM
At first, I started with a more complicated system: took the best 10 of the players last 20 scores, subtracted 48 (our reference number), and used that as the handicap. From a statistical perspective, its a pretty accurate number. But, the problem was that out of 100 people that had played a mini, only 30 showed up with any regularity..and that was with over 2 years of data.

So I simplified it: Last 5 rounds with your most recent round double weighted, subtract that from 48, and thats their handicap. This way, over 80% of the players with a recorded round have a handicap. So far, it seems to be working a little better, the scores are closer together, and it counters "bagging" a little better. Yes, there is bagging in handicaps.

Lets say someone plays in one mini.....then, doesnt come back for 6 months. He improves his play over this time and comes back. Using his "not so good" play handicap, he wins playing with his new abilities. Or, someone comes out on a particualr windy day knowing his score will be high, then doesnt come back again until that picturesque day, and finishes high. There isnt a system out there that can completely get rid of some of these specific situations, and my examples happen rarely, but they do happen :p

Back to the subject matter, if you want some help setting it up, I have a spreadsheet I can send you.

evandmckee
Dec 05 2007, 06:01 PM
I see other leagues/minis still using it when doing web searches

It still comes up right after Disc Golf United on most web searches I've done

we do have pin placement movement, would DGU fairly deal with this?

It hasn't seemed to be a big problem but it could get unfair when someone doesn't compete for a few weeks......... say when basket placements were easier and the "regulars" handicaps have adjusted from more difficult basket placements or vice versa

keithjohnson
Dec 06 2007, 10:19 AM
In Miami at Kendall Indian Hammocks Park, we had 3 handicaps to cover "A", "B", and "C" pin positions so that players could NOT take advantage of shorter or longer skills. In Tucson after I got other pin positions put in, and redesigned the course , we mixed the pin position locations to keep "as Chuck would say :D" the same course SSA or par, to keep handicaps fair for 99% of the players.

In Georgia for some reason there are almost NO singles leagues, as almost every course runs random draw doubles.

Pretty much any of the above mentioned plans will work for the majority of your golfers.

Keith

pnkgtr
Dec 06 2007, 06:28 PM
One thing you may want to consider is splitting the payout. Half for the handicapped and half for the scratch scores(paying 1st 2nd and 3rd in each). This way everyone is playing for something and occasionally a player will double dip and take some money from either the handicapped or the scratch golfers.

pterodactyl
Dec 06 2007, 10:21 PM
<font color="red"> I second that;that's what the Delta Windjammers do. </font>

keithjohnson
Dec 07 2007, 10:38 AM
We ALWAYS had side bet pools for the scratch playes, plus skins and CTP's.
If you liked playing for cash in Miami you always came with at least 50 bucks to cover yourself for the 2 rounds on Sat. or Sun.

We had skins matches that had 80+ dollars on the line going into the last hole and people would miss 6-8 ft putts because of the commotion and nervousness. :D

I still cringe at 6-8 ft putts today. :p